g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Solskjaer's contract

Rajma

Hope none of European giants snatch him from us while Woodward dwelling with the massive contract extension.

SAFMUTD

The contract renewal is inminent, the fact that it will come during another shit spell under Ole is depressing.

alexthelion

The contract renewal is inminent, the fact that it will come during another shit spell under Ole is depressing.
What shit spell?

The only depressing thing is the amount iof negativity on this site, it's incredible.

SAFMUTD

Can hardly call moving 9 points clear of 5th in the Premier league and reaching the last 8 of Europa league a shit spell.
What shit spell?

The only depressing thing is the amount iof negativity on this site, it's incredible.
Beyond results are you satisfied with late performances?

Besides Everton and ManCity we've performed poorly in all 2021 games I can remember.

Seriously we can fool ourselves thinking we sre performing great and blind ourselves to results but sooner or later it will catch up to us, we wont win a thing performing like this. We are riding our luck.

big rons sovereign

Besides Everton and ManCity we've performed poorly in all 2021 games I can remember.

Seriously we can fool ourselves thinking we sre performing great and blind ourselves to results but sooner or later it will catch up to us, we wont win a thing performing like this. We are riding our luck.
It must be tough being this miserable.

tomaldinho1

This is just two entrenched sides arguing now with nothing to be gained - was there ever any official news on a contract?

Teja

This is just two entrenched sides arguing now with nothing to be gained - was there ever any official news on a contract?
Some twitter chatter, but haven't seen anything concrete.

For what it's worth, I still have a mild preference for Ole staying in the job, but not as committed as the rest of the Ole in gang. I wanted him to continue as the manager at the beginning of the season and want him to see the season out as well.

Not sold on giving him the new contract until after the season ends we see where all the chips land. For me, it's all about the PPG in the league and how far away from City we'd be come end of season. If we stay within 10 points of City and finish with 78-80 points, I think we can realistically hope for a title challenge next year. If we're 15 or more away from them, then even if we finish 2nd, there's no way we're challenging next year and probably won't even finish 2nd.

Andersonson

Did you see Ole’s quote about hed love a player like Keano but he’s not sure he could manage him. Tells me all I need to know. If a Manchester United manager isn’t strong enough to manage a strong personality than he isn’t a Manchester United manager. Simple.
This posts makes my head hurt.
Its that stupid. I've read alot of shit one the internet , but this might be the dumbest.

Jesus christ

Crashoutcassius

Tuchel had been at Chelsea a year (by the way we measure oles stay) and the football should be less boring by now. His predecessors spent billions , why is it so boring

alexthelion

Yes. defence has tightened up with Henderson between the posts but, unfortunately, our attack has too many injuries at the moment.

always_hoping

Oh that auld luck. I could point out as many incidents where the "luck" went against United this season. You were grumpy before tonights match and still grumpy after winning what was always going to be a tough encounter. Maybe a good nights sleep might improve your mood?

Eriku

Really? I thought 9-0 was alright. And beating La Real 4-0 away wasn’t too shabby. Or beating Liverpool 3-2.

Considering our injuries of late I can’t say I’m too disappointed with how we’ve held up. Still second, still in the Europa League, still in the FA Cup. I feel like your expectations might be a smidge too high.

FatherWolff

Really? I thought 9-0 was alright. And beating La Real 4-0 away wasn’t too shabby. Or beating Liverpool 3-2.

Considering our injuries of late I can’t say I’m too disappointed with how we’ve held up. Still second, still in the Europa League, still in the FA Cup. I feel like your expectations might be a smidge too high.
It’s not his expectations, it’s his low self esteem. Like many many others who joined Man Utd as a fan.. But enough said.. Have a good night, people. We are through!

I know it’s going to sound ridiculous... I rate a lot of what Ole has done and think he was the manager we needed. Now I don’t think he can take us any further.... all the talk of “how to improve and challenge” is always about more signings etc etc etc and before we know it Bruno and Pogba will be 30 and people will then say but we need to replace those two.

The best example I can think of is Tunchel taking over at Chelsea, what a huge difference he’s made and without signings. Yet Lampard’s sacking was viewed by many as harsh. And if at the end of last season anyone dared questioned Lampard people would have called them mad. The argument would have been “ got 4th with no signings” any argument about “but his tactics” would have been laughed off.

I feel the same with Ole... we’re 2nd and just beaten Milan. Great. But I genuinely feel with this is best he can do. Next season other clubs will improve and out football will not evolve. Letting Ole go at the end of the season could be strategically the best move if we replace him with the manager who can take us to the next level.

rotherham_red

I know it’s going to sound ridiculous... I rate a lot of what Ole has done and think he was the manager we needed. Now I don’t think he can take us any further.... all the talk of “how to improve and challenge” is always about more signings etc etc etc and before we know it Bruno and Pogba will be 30 and people will then say but we need to replace those two.

The best example I can think of is Tunchel taking over at Chelsea, what a huge difference he’s made and without signings. Yet Lampard’s sacking was viewed by many as harsh. And if at the end of last season anyone dared questioned Lampard people would have called them mad. The argument would have been “ got 4th with no signings” any argument about “but his tactics” would have been laughed off.

I feel the same with Ole... we’re 2nd and just beaten Milan. Great. But I genuinely feel with this is best he can do. Next season other clubs will improve and out football will not evolve. Letting Ole go at the end of the season could be strategically the best move if we replace him with the manager who can take us to the next level.
I think you're ignoring the £200m+ worth of elephants in the room with Tuchel. Yes he's done well but they should never have been in the position they were in, in the first place. They added that talent btw, to a squad that was already top 4 quality.

Ole meanwhile is essentially building up his squad from the team that Jose didn't want or particularly rate. Almost all of the Jose regulars have either been sold or marginalised. And he hasn't been backed to the same extent that his peers have been. Arteta bought more first team players in than Ole in the summer. Pep obviously did, and so too did Lampard. We needed first team quality and it never arrived. So when people say that he can't do get to the next level, I'd argue he's done very well already with the resources he had inherited and he's proven, unlike the two managers before him, that he can work with what he's got. The next step now is to bring in that quality that we've currently got missing and see where Ole can lead us.

If after that, he can't get us to that next level then fair enough, call it quits and wish him all the best but until then I'm backing him all the way. Because make no bones about it, I don't think very many managers outside of the absolute elite would have done as good a job as Ole has done. And I would absolutely include Poch in that too.

edcunited1878

No manager can take the current United squad and challenge next season for a full season. The quality either isn't there nor is the improvement there yet, or it never will be. Martial, Rashford, and Greenwood have collectively been no where near where they were last year in terms of league goals, which is to be expected some what because they are inexperienced (Greenwood) or haven't had consecutive years as first choice in one position (Rashford and Martial). Cavani hasn't been involved as much due to a combination of things, but he was a stop gap and depth player like Ighalo was. James and Amad are nowhere near good enough or mature enough to start most weeks and contribute throughout a full season at a good clip.

Chelsea have a well rounded team with very good talent at each position, Lampard was just a poor manager and coach. It wasn't a harsh dismissal considering they pushed the boat out for him and have a lot of players to choose from. He didn't select his teams well enough nor were they setup well enough. Tuchel has identified a back 3, pressing from the front, and given Chelsea a much, much better shape on the ball and off the ball. And he's sticking to it.

And the types of players United recruit and bring on should always be independent of the manager. Players of requisite quality and mentality are needed, especially if they are to step into United's starting XI. United can clearly upgraded on a number of positions which can push them towards a title challenge regardless of manager.

SAFMUTD

Damn completely forgot about those ones, yes they were great performances. You are right we've had really mixed performances.

Matriac

Tuchel who was weighed too light at PSG, and replaced by the previous United Golden Boy Poch who currently has them third in a one-team league.

Tuchel has done alright at Chelsea, allowing them to get some value out of the insane purchasing summer they had last year which made people say they had a guaranteed 2nd or 3rd finish.

So Tuchel making them punch about expected level.

United pre-season expected to finish outside of top 4.
Sack Ole.

lysglimt

Scout
Since we crashed out of the Champions League - we have had these results:

16 wins, 10 draws and 2 defeats - GS 50-20

I agree we have drawn a few matches too many because our strikers havent performed, but when you look at some of the comments in here, you should believe we were losing half our matches. We have lost twice in over 3 months, in a period where we have had injuries while playing a match more or less every 4 days on average.

We have played teams like: AC Milan (2 times), Sociedad (2), City (2), Liverpool (2), Everton (2), Leicester, Arsenal, Chelsea and West Ham (2) - and we have lost 2 matches.

And we are in a much better position to win the Europa League than last year, because if you look at the teams still in the tournament - there are no Sevilla and Inter Milan. We have knocked their equivalents out.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Oh that auld luck. I could point out as many incidents where the "luck" went against United this season. You were grumpy before tonights match and still grumpy after winning what was always going to be a tough encounter. Maybe a good nights sleep might improve your mood?
We have had rules change against us numerous times this season after the season had started.

wolvored

I think you're ignoring the £200m+ worth of elephants in the room with Tuchel. Yes he's done well but they should never have been in the position they were in, in the first place. They added that talent btw, to a squad that was already top 4 quality.

Ole meanwhile is essentially building up his squad from the team that Jose didn't want or particularly rate. Almost all of the Jose regulars have either been sold or marginalised. And he hasn't been backed to the same extent that his peers have been. Arteta bought more first team players in than Ole in the summer. Pep obviously did, and so too did Lampard. We needed first team quality and it never arrived. So when people say that he can't do get to the next level, I'd argue he's done very well already with the resources he had inherited and he's proven, unlike the two managers before him, that he can work with what he's got. The next step now is to bring in that quality that we've currently got missing and see where Ole can lead us.

If after that, he can't get us to that next level then fair enough, call it quits and wish him all the best but until then I'm backing him all the way. Because make no bones about it, I don't think very many managers outside of the absolute elite would have done as good a job as Ole has done. And I would absolutely include Poch in that too.
You saying that as if ole hasn't bought anybody. He's spent well over 200 mill bringing in players since he's been here.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Did you see Ole’s quote about hed love a player like Keano but he’s not sure he could manage him. Tells me all I need to know. If a Manchester United manager isn’t strong enough to manage a strong personality than he isn’t a Manchester United manager. Simple.
Posts like these give you the Sammsky reputation for the Ole out brigade :D

cyril C

Neither is a 9, I really am struggling to see any logic here. :lol: You also just added a player!
I don't know much about Harvetz, but Werner was bought in as a 9. Chelsea only find out the hard way that he is not a 9, or at least not the 9 that they were looking for.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Need to extend his contract ASAP. Just like Fergie, need 5 years then here comes PL domination!!

Lee565

If he achieves no trophies come the end of the season then that just is not good enough of the expectations for this club, mourinho and van gaal were able to achieve trophies during their time at the club and still not deemed good enough so why should ole, for me ole cowardly hides behind the whole narrative of "it's a young group of lads"

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Not sure I can stomach watching us with this guy in charge for another season, let alone more than that.

I anticipate I'll have plenty of free time next season, as he won't be removed because 'we're on the right track'.

Wilt

A contract extension before the end of season is just madness.

Top 4 seems a given, plus Utd are easily the strongest team left in the Europa. So wait and see.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
The Glazers determine all of this. You’re either with us or against us
The Glazers and Woodward are ten times more to blame for the demise of this football club than Ole is.

Even though it won't happen Ed Woodward should be fired before another manager comes in. If you don't like Ole as manager then fair enough but surely everyone can see Woodward has made far more gaffs.

After all if you're Ole out you should be Woodward out as he employed him. And if you're not Woodward out then it makes no sense because he'd be in charge or picking Oles replacement.

Ole in all the way for me until we change the real issue. If we sorted out the club the way it should be run Ole wouldnt last long anyway.

But changing Ole for another guy to work under this broken regime won't fix anything.

Greck

You don't have to sack him, you just don't have to extend him prematurely. Never has it been so hard for a club to go 12 months without shooting itself in the foot. I mean it's not even a matter of urgency.

Right now it's very very fathomable that he goes the full 4 years trophyless. Definitely took for granted what our previous managers did when they were winning cups

dave1956

Just some observations : Excluding Sir Alex's term we have had since Sir Matt's managership 9 managers including a second term of Sir Matt. The average length of tenure has been approximately 32 months with an average win ratio of around 35%, with 6 of those managers winning either a league title, cup or community shield, 3 of the 6 won all 3. Yet they were all dismissed having not been successful enough, the exception being Tommy Docherty and second term of Sir Matt.
Ole has been our manager for approximately 30 months and although has a win rate of 55% , a rate which has only been beaten by Jose on 58%, he is still our manager. The club must in the next couple of months decided whether we send him on his way or continue with his services in the hope things will improve, given the history of previous managers it would seem that his contract will not be renewed, although I feel that he will be given more time, which will not work out well for the club.

Mainoldo

The Glazers and Woodward are ten times more to blame for the demise of this football club than Ole is.

Even though it won't happen Ed Woodward should be fired before another manager comes in. If you don't like Ole as manager then fair enough but surely everyone can see Woodward has made far more gaffs.

After all if you're Ole out you should be Woodward out as he employed him. And if you're not Woodward out then it makes no sense because he'd be in charge or picking Oles replacement.

Ole in all the way for me until we change the real issue. If we sorted out the club the way it should be run Ole wouldnt last long anyway.

But changing Ole for another guy to work under this broken regime won't fix anything.
If your Ole in your Woodward in as he will be renewing his contract.

So let’s have a toast for Woodward.

copen1945

The Leicester game was disappointing in results and performance. It has been made clear that, beyond the starting eleven, the quality is lacking. Solskjaer has been building a squad that isn't the best in the league only beacuase of the gigantic and unethical spending of City. He should be allowed to continue his excellent work and progress further.

croadyman

Never has a game better summed up why he shouldn't have got the job on a permanent basis and certainly shouldn't get a new contract, yes he was totally the right person to bring harmony to the dressing room and put smiles back on faces but it should have ended there in summer 2019.

Son

Tuchel who was weighed too light at PSG, and replaced by the previous United Golden Boy Poch who currently has them third in a one-team league.

Tuchel has done alright at Chelsea, allowing them to get some value out of the insane purchasing summer they had last year which made people say they had a guaranteed 2nd or 3rd finish.

So Tuchel making them punch about expected level.

United pre-season expected to finish outside of top 4.
Sack Ole.
Tbh we easily have the third best team in the League if not the second going on squad depth when they are all fit.

United points wise for the squad we have right now are underachieving both in Europe and in the league for consistency.

Not that the league matters this season because let’s face it City are better and stronger than we are ever likely to be in the foreseeable future if ever.

You would expect us to get a really good points total next season for sure though. Essentially 85 point plus to know we are going places.

I doubt that will happen personally but it’s really our minimum aim next year.