Solskjaer's contract

lysglimt

Scout
But last season we had 3 strikers who scored a lot of goals - this season we have had none. So the potential for improvment is huge.

Mainoldo

It would be interesting to know how you form such iron clad opinions when it appears to be fairly difficult to state this with the degree of certainty present within your post. Perhaps you have some kind of insight that is atypical of a fan that is not acquainted with the players, unless you are of course.

It could also be the case that your own personal musings do not necessarily represent the views of the players.
It’s as iron cold as people who think that it matters.

The only thing that should matter to United fans is success.

Maticmaker

If the club feels Ole is delivering on his promises, and sitting 2nd in PL and still in with a shout for two cup competitions, would suggest he is, then an extension to his existing contract shouldn't be a problem. Deciding on a completely new contract, is a different matter!

AgentSmith

Not 1 player except Dan James and Harry Maguire care if Ole’s contract expires or not.
The players obviously love Ole. You have zero evidence to suggest only two of them like him as their manager

His man-management is overwhelmingly positive; any player would enjoy their manager being as warm and protective as Ole is.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not 1 player except Dan James and Harry Maguire care if Ole’s contract expires or not.
Did you see Ole’s quote about hed love a player like Keano but he’s not sure he could manage him. Tells me all I need to know. If a Manchester United manager isn’t strong enough to manage a strong personality than he isn’t a Manchester United manager. Simple.

Abraxas

It’s as iron cold as people who think that it matters.

The only thing that should matter to United fans is success.
So your idea is to reply to a post, and when you are asked to provide substantiation for what appears to be a fairly baseless opinion, you instead prefer to make a sound bite on success which as far as I can see has no connection to the line of discussion and is at best a distraction and at worst an avoidance.

What any individual Utd fan characterises as successful (which is necessarily subjective) has very little to do with your opinion on how the players view Ole and that is what you're being asked to support.

Mainoldo

Did you see Ole’s quote about hed love a player like Keano but he’s not sure he could manage him. Tells me all I need to know. If a Manchester United manager isn’t strong enough to manage a strong personality than he isn’t a Manchester United manager. Simple.
You can tell by his interview presence and mannerisms what type of person he is.

I wasn’t surprised by his quotes. Atleast he’s honest though.

Mainoldo

So your idea is to reply to a post, and when you are asked to provide substantiation for what appears to be a fairly baseless opinion, you instead prefer to make a relatively meaningless sound bite on success which as far as I can see has no connection to the line of discussion and is at best a distraction and at worse an avoidance.

What any individual Utd fan characterises as successful (which is necessarily subjective) has very little to do with your opinion on how the players view Ole and that is what you're being asked to support.
I’m not being funny. But you either have common sense or you don’t. You questioning what I know is actually the baseless comment. Clearly I know f all. Like everyone else who responds on this forum. Really what I wanted to know is what difference does it make to this squad whether Ole has a long contract or not.

If someone can give me an answer to that we can have an actual discussion. What evidence do people have that Paul Pogba or Anthony Martial care that Ole has a new 3 year contract or only has 1 year left on his contract?

Mainoldo

The players obviously love Ole. You have zero evidence to suggest only two of them like him as their manager

His man-management is overwhelmingly positive; any player would enjoy their manager being as warm and protective as Ole is.
I get that bro but look at it from your own personal perspective. Has the most enjoyable environment been designed for you to be successful? You have to listen to our successful players like Rio, Evra, G.Neville, Phil Neville. I’ve never got that feeling that being at United was fun. I’m sure playing for Spurs was a lot more enjoyable but it didn’t breath wanting to be winners.

We need to ensure we don’t get caught up on what the actual plan is. This culture reboot was all about rebirthing success not a new click for mates.

Mainoldo

Guardiola with 6 months left on his contract:

Man City - 7 games, 12 points — 1.7 p/g

Guardiola with a new 3 year deal:

Man City - 23 games, 59 points - 2.6 p/g

The assurance of stability helps.
Guardiola has documented his change it had nothing to do with a new contract. Ot was all about style of play. Footballing decisions and stability in selecting after an injury hit start.

Please come better.

AgentSmith

Guardiola has documented his change it had nothing to do with a new contract. Ot was all about style of play. Footballing decisions and stability in selecting after an injury hit start.

Please come better.
Ask a reductive question. Expect a reductive answer.

Mainoldo

Ask a reductive question. Expect a reductive answer.
I’m open to productive debates. So was it the new contract or was it the change in style of play after watching the West Brom performance and deciding on a stable partnership at the back and figuring out how to not rely on Aguero’s fitness to be successful for 2020/21?

Tell me why the contract was the big decider?

cyril C

I don't think Marina or Roman care about Werner more than they would any other player. Chelsea are already heavily linked with Haaland and I expect they'll continue to be so - I also don't see why Werner & CHO (for example) couldn't play either side of Haaland as a front three.

If Werner was some £100m signing and played as an out and out 9, you might have a point (and even then I doubt Roman would care if a player he liked more was available), but he wasn't and he doesn't.
I recall Werner + harvests cost them 160m. Get the point?

cyril C

Martial will be sold if we land Haaland I think. Anyone who is a challenge to him, he goes into a sulk. feck him off as we deserve better than that.
This is what I think as well. Ideally a trade-in and save us the trouble to find a suitor. I don't mind keeping Cavani as backup for another season.

Marcus

We should put him on a rolling 1 year contract since he did so well with the interim manager status. This will keep motivating players who want him to continue. But I can't see that happening.

Water Melon

Wanna do the same exercise about Jose, after he had his contract extended?

Water Melon

We are likely to extend his contract before the season finishes, which would be a mistake imo.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

United fanbase is the only fanbase in the world that blames you for trying to have high ambitions, it's funny. Wanting your club to win trophies or challenge for the league means you're a toxic, spoilt and entitled fan.
“Dont be spoilt! We don’t have the right to win anything, City do! So let’s just sit back & watch them win everything while we celebrate being top of the ‘Since Bruno Arrived’ league table in December & enjoy our progress under Ole, bringer back of sexy & The United Way. Ole just needs time. Give him 5 years & I promise we’ll be only 8 points off the top & will get to a league cup final. It’s a process”

red4ever 79

“Dont be spoilt! We don’t have the right to win anything, City do! So let’s just sit back & watch them win everything while we celebrate being top of the ‘Since Bruno Arrived’ league table in December & enjoy our progress under Ole, bringer back of sexy & The United Way. Ole just needs time. Give him 5 years & I promise we’ll be only 8 points off the top & will get to a league cup final. It’s a process”
I can warm to the fact that he has improved our league position, even though it has been a strange season with Liverpool and Chelsea suffering more than most results wise. What I dont accept is all of this rebuild nonsense. Our summer transfer window was absolutely shocking and seemed nothing short of desperate. That's why I am not buying into all this longterm plan, building for the future.

His contract should be reviewed at the end of the season and rightly so.

Abraxas

I’m not being funny. But you either have common sense or you don’t. You questioning what I know is actually the baseless comment. Clearly I know f all. Like everyone else who responds on this forum. Really what I wanted to know is what difference does it make to this squad whether Ole has a long contract or not.

If someone can give me an answer to that we can have an actual discussion. What evidence do people have that Paul Pogba or Anthony Martial care that Ole has a new 3 year contract or only has 1 year left on his contract?
Your point regarding whether the players care about the managers contract is an interesting one. However, I did not make this point. Other people may have. It's something you reverted to when asked to substantiate your opinion, which could have been in the form of explaining exactly why you hold said opinion. You chose not to do this, which is fine and we'll move on.

I can only respond to the posts you make when you quote my post, I do not have a crystal ball as to what you intended to discuss and it's not for me to presume. You could have made the point that the players are apathetic towards Ole directly rather than this tangential line of reasoning. Bringing up individual players has implications, it is not an equivalent argument. This is nothing to do with common sense but being able to establish your arguments and reasoning so that your point is understood, your reasoning is clear and I can respond on that basis. So I am going to put that indirect slur to one side.

I would argue the contract length is important for numerous reasons, and it's not just to do with making the players comfortable. In fact that isn't really a big part of my thinking.

- Having a manager in his last year leaves us open to the potential that certain personalities will go into a season thinking they can outlast the manager if they do not like aspects of his management or their situation. This is bad because in terms of club strategy the manager is far more pivotal than a few players. Empowering the manager and giving every indication he will last reduces uncertainty in comparison to having one year.

- Having one year on a contract means that player negotiations are potentially more difficult in the summer. Some players wish to have a reasonable idea of who they will be playing under for the next few years.

- Having one year creates a potential ongoing dialogue regarding the club's faith in the manager next season. This isn't helpful.

- Having one year puts the manager on trial again. When every indication is the club is preparing the staff, youth and first team towards a particular strategic direction. We therefore want the manager to be making decisions with foresight aligned to our goals, not putting him in a compromised position.

- There isn't necessarily major financial detriment in a longer contract. It depends on the terms and conditions of said contract.

hobbers

Ole in the 2018/19 season:

Before signing permanent deal: 2.46 p/g

After signing permanent deal: 1.00 p/g

AgentSmith

Ole in the 2018/19 season:

Before signing permanent deal: 2.46 p/g

After signing permanent deal: 1.00 p/g
I know, it’s a reductive use of stats that doesn’t mean much but I only referenced it because the poster in question was going down their usual negative route and asking questions that can never be answered.

Mainoldo

Your point regarding whether the players care about the managers contract is an interesting one. However, I did not make this point. Other people may have. It's something you reverted to when asked to substantiate your opinion, which could have been in the form of explaining exactly why you hold said opinion. You chose not to do this, which is fine and we'll move on.

I can only respond to the posts you make when you quote my post, I do not have a crystal ball as to what you intended to discuss and it's not for me to presume. You could have made the point that the players are apathetic towards Ole directly rather than this tangential line of reasoning. Bringing up individual players has implications, it is not an equivalent argument. This is nothing to do with common sense but being able to establish your arguments and reasoning so that your point is understood, your reasoning is clear and I can respond on that basis. So I am going to put that indirect slur to one side.

I would argue the contract length is important for numerous reasons, and it's not just to do with making the players comfortable. In fact that isn't really a big part of my thinking.

- Having a manager in his last year leaves us open to the potential that certain personalities will go into a season thinking they can outlast the manager if they do not like aspects of his management or their situation. This is bad because in terms of club strategy the manager is far more pivotal than a few players. Empowering the manager and giving every indication he will last reduces uncertainty in comparison to having one year.

- Having one year on a contract means that player negotiations are potentially more difficult in the summer. Some players wish to have a reasonable idea of who they will be playing under for the next few years.

- Having one year creates a potential ongoing dialogue regarding the club's faith in the manager next season. This isn't helpful.

- Having one year puts the manager on trial again. When every indication is the club is preparing the staff, youth and first team towards a particular strategic direction. We therefore want the manager to be making decisions with foresight aligned to our goals, not putting him in a compromised position.

- There isn't necessarily major financial detriment in a longer contract. It depends on the terms and conditions of said contract.
I agree. But that only really matters if your manager is SAF or you play for a club who’s success is largely down to the managers influence I.e Jorgen Klopp. So I get your point but in relation to Ole. Me personally I don’t think they matter. Even if your a favourite of his. If you are a good player more than likely you’ll play under the new manager too.

90 + 5min

Lets sack every manager for not giving us title today. I mean yesterday. We need to play attacking football and win games 57 - 0. Not enough to win. It must be dubbel digit. Not to forget patterns of the game. We need patterns so a 1 year old can understand how we play. Oh, I forgot. Make the sub. We need a managers who dare to make a sub after 1 minute.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Lets sack every manager for not giving us title today. I mean yesterday. We need to play attacking football and win games 57 - 0. Not enough to win. It must be dubbel digit. Not to forget patterns of the game. We need patterns so a 1 year old can understand how we play. Oh, I forgot. Make the sub. We need a managers who dare to make a sub after 1 minute.
8 years & counting. Enjoy your bubble.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Embarrassing.

90 + 5min

8 years & counting. Enjoy your bubble.
What bubble?

I'm enjoying seeing my team every year even if we don't end up winning trophies. It is part of sport. Being winners or not. I've been through good and bad times. It is not first time we don't get trophy every season.

Embarrassing.
Why? If you attack Solskjaer with wierd statemants you got to be ready to have those wierd statements back.