Solskjaer's legacy and his future

el3mel

Glad of the response people had on this thread. Would have ridiculous if people actually were thanking him for this shit show.

Club legend and great player, but an awful manager and his 3 years have been a waste of time.

lemmiwink

Being 12 when we signed him from Molde, I remember pretty much everything he did. He had 4 great years as a super sub at the club, winning us the UCL with the tip of his toe. That was magic.

The 2000’s especially after Beckham left he did a job at RM, but was unfortunately plagued with injuries after.

I thank OGS for being a very important person to me in my late childhood, and for being a good role model for how to put the team first. He was never good enough for our first eleven, but he kept doing the job as a substitute until he was crippled with injuries. That status will never go away.

I hate the board and the Glazers for what they did to him this season. They have ridiculed him and embarrassed him infront of millions of fans, making him a «villain» in the process. He should never have started this season in charge of the team, he should have been moved up to the offices in some other role.

This club is a shambles and I hope people will forget the last two months of Ole quickly and that Arnold is more competent than Woodward.

Also, thanks to the players he trusted for absolutely throwing him under the bus by putting out dreadful performances for the last 6 months. Noone mentioned, noone forgot.

Ralph1386

It’s the opposition fans who should be starting ‘Thank you Ole’ threads at this moment. That says a lot about his management tenure here.

Deery

Dreary
Thanks Ole, all the best kid. Tried you best and brought a love back to the club after a very toxic period, left us with a good squad and optimism for the future.

lawliet354

His legacy hopefully is making fans finally realize how important an actual manager for a team is. You cannot just spend hundreds of millions every season without actual vision and gameplan for the team, especially now that other teams can spend almost as much but with much better managers

That's 4 bad appointments for us since SAF (with each of their own ups and downs, still failure nonetheless), whether woodward and friends can finally learn something from this is still unknown

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Remember, folks. It stands for a reason that there's no "i" in Ole's name.
Now compare that to his predecessors.

So thank you Ole, for not having "i" in your name. Not like those selfish jerks and posters.

Last edited:

NK86

Thanks Ole, all the best kid. Tried you best and brought a love back to the club after a very toxic period, left us with a good squad and optimism for the future.
He has also left with plenty of toxicity around the club, albeit primarily due to incompetence rather than being a prick like Jose. Maybe that's fine but definitely not worth a "thank you". He has done a piss poor job as a manager seeing the amounts he has spent.

Last edited:

AndySmith1990

The best I can do is thank him for trying his best and conducting himself in a professional manner. Beyond that he's done a very poor job. But I genuinely wish him all the best for the rest of his career.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
His favourite players ended up costing his job - the shite signings Maguire and AWB and his sons: Scotty, Rashy, Shaw.

Promised to make us the hardest working team in the PL. We're not.
Promised progressive football, ended up playing like a team from the 90s, and not even a good one. One Plan - counter attacking hoofball football.

We now have to fix his "rebuild". Another 3 years down the drain. 500mil pounds spent.

Thanks for nothing, basically.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
This fan base has been emotionally manipulated so bad that they feel the need to applaud and throw niceties at a manager who has been a complete and abject failure.

Help is needed.

frostbite

Ole steadied the ship. Is the ship steady now? Where is the ship going?

Real Name

Well said - shame it has to end like this but I thank Ole for the good work done over the past couple of years and whatever anyone says I know he leaves us with the best squad we had since Fergie retired

Pathetic but not unsurprising to see some of the replies in this thread from the toxic part of the fan base - yes Ole deserves some criticism but there are 10 other threads for that
Agreed.. Sad state of affairs. Not one thread can be relieved of the toxicity and downright hate.
People letting of steam in nearly every thread.

francobaresi

When he came into this club as a caretaker manager. The team was in complete disarray. The fans were depressed watching drab football year after year and the players were stuck in a rut. But when he came in, he lifted the players up and never stopped trying to be better. That PSG game was incredible. Watching that smug ratface prick and Neymar cry was One of the most satisfying victories I've seen in years. He gave us so much entertainment we've been crying out for at the start with fast attacking football. The players and fans were enjoying themselves again. He never threw any blame at the players. Not once, even when it was. He gave a shit about the club. Also managed to Get rid of most of the deadwood and rebuilt the disaster LVG and Jose left behind. The 2nd season he beat city 3 times in one season and got us top 4 again. There was hope for a bright future. Each season was an improvement, but unfortunately Ole was unlucky in not Winning any silverware. He came close so many times and sadly it ends in failure. Despite that, there was still a bit of hope that he'd get a great squad together and finally get us back to the top. Had one of the best summer's ever imo, in getting a world class defender, a Right Winger we've needed since Nani left and one of the best player ever play the game. This was the season that for the first time I fully believed we could win some trophies. Sadly after a flying start, everything fell apart after the lost to West Ham. It's clear He's taking us as far as he could. He's been extremely lucky everytime he got backed into a corner and now the luck has run out. The board was indecisive which has probably cost us top 4 this season. In saying a that, given how ugly it's gotten recently, he's left the next manager with a much better squad that's hungry for success. Every single United fan wanted him so badly to succeed. Thanks for the memories Ole. Best of luck to him in the future.
Embarassing

trafford1980

I feel for Ole as he’s United through-an-through and you know he’s as distraught as anyone about how this has panned out.

It’ll probably take some time before most of us (especially us that have been calling for Managerial change for awhile) can look back objectively on his reign but I’m not going to deny there’s been some great moments.

Personally I’ve enjoyed these fleeting periods under Ole more than any Manager since Fergie. We’ve scored 5 goals or more under him than Moyes, LVG and Jose combined. Some cracking matches in the 6-2 and 5-0 wins over Leeds, the 9-0 thrashing of Soton, 6-2 besting of Roma, 5-0 against RB Leipzig, 2 x champions league away wins at PSG, the league doubles over Chelsea & Man City in 19/20.

Unfortunately Ole shat the bed both times the Europa League was there for the taking and he’ll be rightly beaten with that stick by the majority - he needed a trophy and failed.

So in summary, perhaps the middle ground is that we’ve been a more likeable and entertaining watch under Ole than under Moyes, LVG and Jose but with feck all silverware to show for it..

Mindhunter

Well fans are reacting as if Ole was working for free. He desperately needed the job, trying to etch himself as a top coach in England. When he was appointed caretaker, he did talk like he was already a well known coach, having won trophies in the country before.

Thank him all you want for his service as a player but as a manager I think he has done a below par job given the time and money he has been given. We need to be decisive in these matters. How many fans thanked Lampard for his job as a manager when he got sacked? None.

KeanoMagicHat

People saying that he's leaving the United team in disarray, that's a very talented team he's leaving behind and a lot better ability wise than the team he picked up. His limitations showed up in the end, but a good manager will do damage with the quality of those players.

Member 101269

like some i say thanks, i'll remember him for "The lost years" lost for winning nothing and lost under COVID.

NK86

I'm absolutely delighted to see Ole go but I can't bring myself to watch this clip. I know I've called him a fraud and all that stuff on here out of sheer anger, but purely on a human level seeing him that broken at full time last night wasn't nice.
Yeah that comment from him kind of stuck out. Clearly he has been told/has realised how awful it looks when the manager of Manchester United is grinning after a mauling by their fiercest rival at home.

Maybe he is just a jovial happy-go-lucky fella who tries to show his optimistic side on camera all the time. However it looked awful every time seeing him grin after a defeat.

stoinz

The squad he assembled has been the most exciting in terms of potential and likeability post Fergie. He tried his best but ultimately he wasn't good enough. Ole came in and was great for the short term and unfortunately overstayed. You can tell that the pressure really got to him and he doesn't know how to get out of it. I wish him all the best.

The board and owners have been largely supportive in backing the manager but they should take a large chunk of blame for this mess. Utter negligence for reactive management and no succession planning. That said a good manager coming in can do a lot with this squad. The board has messed up last four appointments so please don't mess that next one up. We are due some good luck!

Reactions: Invictus

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
The best I can do is thank him for trying his best and conducting himself in a professional manner. Beyond that he's done a very poor job. But I genuinely wish him all the best for the rest of his career.
Fair post.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Genuinely sad at how it's come to an end. Don't think I was ever this sad at a managerial sacking - it was sympathy, relief and euphoria for Moyes, LVG and Mou respectively - and don't think I've hoped so hard for a man to succeed here.

Shame it has come to this, but he was absolutely broken post match yesterday, and while it should have been done after the Pool loss, I think Ole will benefit in a way as it was turning into a torture.

Done a lot of good and leaves us in a better place. Forever a legend

largelyworried

I still think we’re in a better position now than when he came, and that’s the first time that’s happened with a manager since SAF left. The ugly mishmash of LVGs poor buys and Jose’s grinding style left a nothing squad full of deadwood. We're definitely better off now.

I think Ole’s limitations as a manager means that we never consistently played the kind of attacking football that we occasionally threatened to. But at the end of the day our squad is the most exciting it's been in years. It just needs a better manager to set it up.

My view was always that Ole could improve the team but that he wouldn't ever win a big trophy. It was obvious even in his first season he was a cheerleader and nothing else, and that isn't a way to build a successful team in the long term. His shortcomings in terms of tactics and structure were completely clear early on. But that doesn't mean that he couldn't help us progress up to a point.

The shame here is, weirdly, that he didn't get sacked at the end of last season. His limitations were quite obvious to all who cared to look. Had he gone after the Europa final he would have been able to look back on a spell at United where he picked up a team. on its knees and sent it upwards before leaving. Now he leaves us having sent us on a downward trajectory again, having written off another season and really stuck for a replacement.

The real culprits are the Board. How anyone could watch our performances over the last few seasons and see a long-term title-winning manager in the making is just baffling. He was clearly always a short-term manager without a real plan and the Board should have been planning for his replacement all along. The fact they seem surprised by what's happening makes them seem like the naive bunch of chumps they are.

Norris

Thanks Ole. Ofcourse most people would be laughing and toxicity levels right now would be through the roof, but he had steadied the ship after the calamity that Jose left us in. He of course overstayed his welcome (But that's mostly because of the Board's ineptitude and failure to see that things were beginning to crumble).

We always knew he could only take us up to a certain point before a better more equipped manager took the helm and it's sad that it had to come to this level of vitriol. I wish him all the very best in his future endeavours.

And the player version of him is still a legend in my eyes.

::sonny::

Thank you, I hope you are going to enjoy your next role as a lifetime Salford manager

Longshanks

This season is turning into a disaster, but he's done OK before this season.

Steered the club through a tricky transition from the complete mess that the mourinho/LVG era left us in. Kept us in top 4, got us close to a couple of trophies.

Ultimately has failed to take us to the next level. Confidence and form is through the floor but this is a much better and more sustainable squad than what he got left with, just needs the right structure putting into it.

He has died on his 4-2-4 hill, for whatever reason he wouldn't drop the double pivot and move us into a more progressive 4-3-3 that we have seen only once this season and in all honesty it was no worse than the 4-2-4 has been this season. Maybe the lack of a quality CDM is behind it, still think he should of gone given it more of a go i mean its not as if having the double pivot has actually helped our defending this season.

A quality CDM and a more assertive GK and a decent manager and we might be on to something.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Time heals and when the dust settles, he will be remembered for being the great player that he was.
Club's fault for leaving a coach clearly out of his depth in charge.

padzilla

Hipster
You can't deny Ole is a good man who brought many of us our ultimate high as United fans in 99.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Well fans are reacting as if Ole was working for free. He desperately needed the job, trying to etch himself as a top coach in England. When he was appointed caretaker, he did talk like he was already a well known coach, having won trophies in the country before.

Thank him all you want for his service as a player but as a manager I think he has done a below par job given the time and money he has been given. We need to be decisive in these matters. How many fans thanked Lampard for his job as a manager when he got sacked? None.
I've no idea, but a big difference is obviously the situation wasn't allowed to fester, like it did here.
The Chelsea fans are not calling him a cnut etc like some are here with Ole. Both are still playing legends, even if they weren't the right managers for the clubs.

It's a shame cos Ole shouldn't have been made permanent. If he'd left after the caretaker role or even at the end of last season at a push, the legacy would would've been so much less damaging.

It's the board people should vent their anger at though.

Sparky Rhiwabon

If he’d left at the end of his caretaker manager stint, this thread would have been more appropriate

Ixion

I look forward to when he next returns to Old Trafford as he'll obviously get an amazing reception. He was always out of his depth but good players and a huge transfer budget can sometimes mask these things. The Europa League Final showed he had reached his ceiling and its been sad to see it limp on further. He will always be a legend of the club though, even getting relegated wouldn't have changed that, he could get a statue outside the ground and no one would complain.

minoo-utd

He brought some good players but I just can’t thank him after those three years we won nothing and got humiliated many times. Out of respect he should have gone time ago.