Solskjaer's legacy and his future

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
He should be mentioning racism towards Norwegians as the reason no club is after him, I am sure some would be pressured into hiring him.
Unlikely. Just look at how few managers in the PL are English you could more justified say there's racism against english managers. And this might be part of the problem, a lot of former english players became bad coaches and don't get any more manager jobs. Ole might be on the same category as Keane or Neville in that regard as he spent a lot of his career in England.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
If he had won the Europa League he’d most likely still be here.
I'm not sure he would. The season was spiralling out of control and it was right that he was fired. He'd have had a little more credit in the bank from winning the EL, but not enough I fear.

I would love to have seen how an alternate reality where we didn't sign Ronaldo would have played out (not that I'm blaming Ronnie for the season - he just wasn't part of the plan).

Withnail

These clubs would probably hire Fred the Red before talking to Solskjær, that’s how extremely bad he was. In all seriousness, and I am sure your thread isn’t, Solskjær’s gig is up and he will never get such a job again in England. If he for some reason did, because Hodgson isn’t exactly inspiring or remotely successful himself, his incompetence would shine through even more.
Is that the reason, though?

Many terrible managers keep getting jobs in the PL. Feckin Lampard is being talked about for the Everton job.

Has he moved home to Norway yet? I can't see why he'd want to manage another English club. Other clubs would hold very little attraction after not making it at United (especially in the short term, we all saw how much he aged at United) and he's got enough money that he isn't under any pressure to work.

RORY65

More old school than Roy Hodgson?
No but Roy Hodgson dragged Fulham and Palace out of trouble, he has the track record to give you confidence in him to keep you up if that's all the aim is for now (Ole didn't manage that at Cardiff). I was talking about more midtable clubs like Palace who feel like they're going round in circles and want to modernise (it happened admittedly unsuccessfully at Stoke a few years ago when they moved on from Pulis) but that's not what Ole is, so he's not a great fit for there, he's not getting one of the top jobs and he has no track record of keeping clubs up. It doesn't leave many options.

Chairman Steve

I’m going to try and approach this question objectively as possible.

1) He is not a high level coach, which immediately would bring up some red flags. Coaching seems to have become a very big factor in football these days with the rise of sports science. Man-management seems to have taken a backseat to coaching these days. Coaching players to play a certain way and making them disciplined is more important than motivating them and telling them to just do it.

2) He doesn’t seem to have a good network of coaches to tap into, judging by the fact he didn’t change any of the original coaching staff from the Jose Mourinho regime. It was basically ancillary coaches from the Ferguson days like Phelan, Hartis and Dempsey… and while it’s a meme on the site, Ralf in the nicest possible way said that he doesn’t know what Phelan did/does at Utd

3) He doesn’t seem to have a good knowledge of the player market for transfers and it seems very limited. At Utd, he bought the obvious choices (Maguire, AWB, Sancho) and took a punt from his former associates (Giggs recommended James). At Cardiff, he tapped into the Utd academy (his old stomping ground) and bought in a bunch of players from Norway (where he had been previously)… and also some downright weird transfers, like spending £40m on someone who never plays even though he surely okayed the deal (I understand Utd have a more committee mindset to transfers since Jose but surely he has input into transfers since he’ll be the one using them)

4) He cannot implement a clear, competent style of play. He talked the talk but either he isnt good enough at implementing the system he wanted with his coaches or he straight up lied… some of his decisions contradicted themselves. He wanted to play high line but buys the slow Maguire for £80m. He wanted to use full backs as integral to attack but buys AWB who is by no means a great attacker.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Even if we went on the same run this season? I'm not so sure... hard to survive that Watford battering regardless.
That might not have happened if he had won the EL. Losing that final got him the "he is not good enough" verdict from many people who so far had no issues with him.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
He might get a job at one of Mate Fc club. Salford or Miami fc. other than that, I would love see him apply his trade in the championship. Overlooking his spell at United, his spell at Cardiff was really bad. He bought in tons of players and their football was poor. He seems like a person who won the lottery and somehow ended up as a manager

AshRK

Because he is not English. He is no worse than your Arteta or Lampard and in fact will do a better job in some other country.

Chief123

Serious question.

Why isn’t he ever even mentioned in any of the recent managerial turnovers? Surely he could do a job at Everton or Watford for example.

When will we see him back in the PL?
Serious answer. No one rates him and probably rightly so.

romufc

They were 17th I think, when he left they were 17th in the Championship. The reality is he did a lot of decent things at United but not enough to get one of the better jobs while his record at Cardiff was so poor that a team looking for a firefighter wouldn't appoint him, he has no track record of being the man for that job. The problem he has as well is that in the way he manages and the way he speaks he's very old school so even midtable clubs like Crystal Palace looking to be more modern and progressive wouldn't go for Ole so I'm not sure where in the league he fits.
yes, he may not be good enough but that is fair to say. I agree he isn't the best manager or he struggled to grasp modern techniques. Football has moved on, man management only isn't enough. However; lets not act as if he was rubbish, there were games where he tactically outdone other managers like Lampard, Pep, Tuchel, Nagglesman.

mu4c_20le

He might get a job at one of Mate Fc club. Salford or Miami fc. other than that, I would love see him apply his trade in the championship. Overlooking his spell at United, completely forgetting his time spent coaching our reserves, and ignoring his trophies at Molde, his spell at Cardiff was really bad. He bought in tons of players and their football was poor. He seems like a person who won the lottery and somehow ended up as a manager
fixed

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Even if we went on the same run this season? I'm not so sure... hard to survive that Watford battering regardless.
Its all if’s and but’s, but had Ole given EW a glimmer of hope that he was capable in winning trophies (by winning the EL) he would still be in charge this season even after the Watford embarrassing.

EW and the board wanted OGS to be the second coming of SAF, they would have held onto him. Dont forget we have idiots in charge of running the club!

youngrell

Wow. Hell hath no fury like a football fan scorned, eh?

The simple answer is that his goal was only ever to manage United. Even taking the Cardiff job was seen as a stepping stone to his eventual target (a bad one in hindsight). I doubt we see him manage anywhere, not least in England again.

mu4c_20le

If his nationality is an issue why are foreign managers linked to these jobs?
What jobs? It's barely a month since he's sacked, maybe he wants some time off with his family first?

Links are usually put out by their agents, not randomly made up

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Probably because he's not actually been interested at all in either of the two jobs.
This, 100%.

You think Everton have actively approached Lampard, or has Lampard out his name forward for the job? I would guess the latter.

Had Ole put his name forward I'd imagine he'd be in the frame for the job at Everton.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
A lot of its down to the toxic media. The abuse he took was way over the top. Granted he had to go but he didn't don't any worse than LVG or Jose. He did better in the PL but didn't have the luck in the cups. LVG won the FA but didn't have to beat any big team. Jose won the Europa League but he had a lot of luck. He was hanging on V Celta Vigo.

RORY65

yes, he may not be good enough but that is fair to say. I agree he isn't the best manager or he struggled to grasp modern techniques. Football has moved on, man management only isn't enough. However; lets not act as if he was rubbish, there were games where he tactically outdone other managers like Lampard, Pep, Tuchel, Nagglesman.
For sure, as I say he did plenty of decent things while at United. The issue is he did them at United, where had a good albeit not perfect squad, there's no way that he's going to get the job at one of the top 6 or 7 clubs so he would have to work with lesser players. He hasn't got a really specific way of playing football that he can point to and his only history at a non-elite club outside of Norway was at Cardiff where he did really poorly and I'm not sure he did well enough at United for a club fighting relegation to take that chance over more obvious choices while the clubs in the middle are more likely to go for a more exciting choice (as the likes of Southampton and Palace have done) than Ole.

I wouldn't diminish what he did here, he did an admirable job and exceeded my expectations of him repeatedly but if he's waiting for a Premier League job then I suspect he will be waiting for quite a while because I'm not sure where he seems like a natural fit in the hierarchy of clubs.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
This, 100%.

You think Everton have actively approached Lampard, or has Lampard out his name forward for the job? I would guess the latter.

Had Ole put his name forward I'd imagine he'd be in the frame for the job at Everton.
Why would he want to take an absolute minefield or downright shit job like this Everton respectively this Watford, just a couple of months after the whole Man United saga?
He would be insane to do this to himself.

Not to mention he probably gets paid more not taking those jobs.

The framing of the OP is very misleading. It's really just those two openings, and neither is an attractive one.

AshRK

Those two statements weren't related. To answer the OP because he is not english. I don't think he is a great manager or anything but I bet if he was english he would have landed some gig like Lampard will. As for my other statement, well he is no worse than arteta or Lampard.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
What jobs? It's barely a month since he's sacked, maybe he wants some time off with his family first?

Links are usually put out by their agents, not randomly made up
This is a thread about why Ole isn't being mentioned, with nationality being one reason being touted. The jobs mentioned was everton and watford. It's clear you misread my post because I was making a point that other foreign managers like Vitor Perreira have been linked to Everton. So nationality is not an issue.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
That Cardiff team was doomed with or without him
Even if that were true (it isn't) he then lead them in a division they won comfortably the last time they were in it and got sacked with the team 18th in the league.

romufc

For sure, as I say he did plenty of decent things while at United. The issue is he did them at United, where had a good albeit not perfect squad, there's no way that he's going to get the job at one of the top 6 or 7 clubs so he would have to work with lesser players. He hasn't got a really specific way of playing football that he can point to and his only history at a non-elite club outside of Norway was at Cardiff where he did really poorly and I'm not sure he did well enough at United for a club fighting relegation to take that chance over more obvious choices while the clubs in the middle are more likely to go for a more exciting choice (as the likes of Southampton and Palace have done) than Ole.

I wouldn't diminish what he did here, he did an admirable job and exceeded my expectations of him repeatedly but if he's waiting for a Premier League job then I suspect he will be waiting for quite a while because I'm not sure where he seems like a natural fit in the hierarchy of clubs.
I will agree with that.

I guess he probably doesn't want a job just yet anyway. Football is crazy and managerial choices are weird, so I wouldn't rule him out but I wouldn't expect him to pull up any trees if he does get a PL job.

Eplel

Because not even clickbait and journalist sensationalism would make it make sense.

No PL team with a sense of logic will touch him with a 10 foot pole, and that is regardless of managerial attributes. It's 100% not possible because any team's fans will cause uproar when they find out they their next possible manager is the one they meme'd to oblivion.

Wing Attack Plan R

No but Roy Hodgson dragged Fulham and Palace out of trouble, he has the track record to give you confidence in him to keep you up if that's all the aim is for now (Ole didn't manage that at Cardiff). I was talking about more midtable clubs like Palace who feel like they're going round in circles and want to modernise (it happened admittedly unsuccessfully at Stoke a few years ago when they moved on from Pulis) but that's not what Ole is, so he's not a great fit for there, he's not getting one of the top jobs and he has no track record of keeping clubs up. It doesn't leave many options.
That’s fair.

AshRK

This is a thread about why Ole isn't being mentioned, with nationality being one reason being touted. The jobs mentioned was everton and watford. It's clear you misread my post because I was making a point that other foreign managers like Vitor Perreira have been linked to Everton. So nationality is not an issue.
You need connections as well. Maybe Ole doesn't have connections to these clubs. Also, I don't see him manager in PL and that is for his own good as well. I rather he go and manage a club in some other league and build back his image.

romufc

Even if that were true (it isn't) he then lead them in a division they won comfortably the last time they were in it and got sacked with the team 18th in the league.
That's like saying why is Lampard linked to the job? He took Derby from 6th to 6th and Chelsea to 6th too before he got sacked.

Ole was sacked in September, quite early on in the championship where 2/3 wins and you are in the playoffs.

Smores

Still amusing to see the defensiveness of some, like throwing a grenade this thread.

I think you'll always get less offers having only done anything at a top club and even then failed. It doesn't really translate to building a team of lesser players up, using funds wisely and getting the most out of it.

If you're struggling near the bottom he wouldn't be one you want. He might get a job with a europa league level club that's short on better options.

RORY65

I will agree with that.

I guess he probably doesn't want a job just yet anyway. Football is crazy and managerial choices are weird, so I wouldn't rule him out but I wouldn't expect him to pull up any trees if he does get a PL job.
You could understand if he wanted a break, the reality is that United would have been his dream job and so it makes sense for him to take some time now to figure out what he wants from the rest of his career and despite my scepticism it's entirely possible that a Premier League job will come his way again at some stage. Hopefully he's a success wherever he goes next.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Because he is not English. He is no worse than your Arteta or Lampard and in fact will do a better job in some other country.
Because the media, oppo fans and even a section of our own have set a narrative that it's never the managers fault when it goes wrong at Chelsea.

That's how both Mourinho and AVB managed to wangle jobs at teams that finished above us (largely thanks to them) in the season we sacked them. The former had the nation genuinely pondering if we could get relegated yet he still bagged the biggest job in the country afterwards.

izec

Lampard really is still an unknown quantity in terms of management. He had 2 jobs and they were rather short.

Ole on the other hand is not. You know what you will get when you hire him. He is a manager for a decade now.

mu4c_20le

Vitor has decades of experience and has managed top clubs. Hardly a fair comparison. And I dont think people are suggesting xenophobia as a reason why he isn't getting linked, it probably does help for ex legends of the game with limited experience. Hence why Lampard who is objectively worse as a manager is often getting linked and even interviewed.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Pretty sure he was linked with a job recently which surprised me how quickly his name was being mentioned

The abuse in this thread is absolutely disgusting by the way, he's a club legend who did his best and his best was better than managers with so called better CV's post Fergie. His time was up, he's gone and the Ole outers who was against him from day one got their wish so can we cut the guy some slack now?

marktan

The biggest thing people will be looking at is that stint at Cardiff, where he was really bad. He'll likely need to go to a smaller club like in the Championship or abroad and do well there before he gets considered for any of the lower-end PL teams.

Frank despite not being great at Chelsea did well at Derby so he has that credit in the bank to work from.