Solskjaer's legacy and his future

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Thanks for trying, unfortunately he was way out of his depth.

Humiliating defeats throughout his tenure proved as much.

Cant take his legend status away as a player but he has been the worst manager post SAF.

Good luck Ole hope you get every penny you are due from the leeches.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Thanks for trying, unfortunately he was way out of his depth.

Humiliating defeats throughout his tenure proved as much.

Cant take his legend status away as a player but he has been the worst manager post SAF.

Good luck Ole hope you get every penny you are due from the leeches.

:lol:

No he wasn't. Some people have short memories.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Ive felt sorry for Ole recently as clearly out of his depth. Never thought he could win us a title and should never have been appointed full time but that is done now.
This has been bugging me for a while now though, what does make a Utd legend as a player? I dont think he was a legend as i feel that is reserved for our elite.
Majority of people here think he was so Im asking what is the Bar? Who is just above or just below?
Big big difference between a good, even great, player and a legend IMO.
Putting my helmet on.

Esquire

Ole took us to second last year. Restored some of the feel good factor and cohesiveness in the squad after the toxicity left from Jose. Will always give him that. He was vastly out of his depth but he truly loved the club and tried his very best. He’s done. In the past. No need to deride him any further. Everyone knows he should have been gone after 5-0 by Pool. The fact that he was left twisting in the wind till yesterday, and that we have Carrick or whomever as interim until the end of this year are just symptoms of the Glazers problem. Not sure Conte was the most appropriate choice in my view but he was the most logical. We are now truly at the peak of the twilight zone, like when Gillet and Hicks with Liverpool in the 90s. Cannot believe our club has come to this. It’s surreal. Like you know you’re in a nightmare but can’t wake up.

The Hilton

Disagree with this. Said it in other threads as well. The pattern of our recruitment has been pretty much the same since Fergie retired. Doubt any of the managers had a big say in identifying and bringing players in. And no, managers should be judged on their time when they are at helm. You put Ole instead of Tuchel in that Chelsea team and they will be nowhere near where they are now.
Our recruitment has been much better under Ole compared to previous managers - Moyes vetoed top class players to raid Everton, LvG bought a load of dross he'd barely seen play, and Mou only wanted geriatric players.

Under Ole we've actually had a pattern to our recruitment. Anyway, as I said before, you're derailing the thread here. Find a more relevant thread and post in that - tag me in it if you want to keep this discussion going. I'm happy to keep discussing as it's been respectful (which is a rarity on the forum given the topic).

Widow

No I don't because your comment is silly. We're talking about people's careers here. Every manager who came here and failed had his career thrown back years. Moyes is managing West Ham who are doing well at the moment but are nowhere near to Everton. LVG had retired for a couple of years only to return as Dutch manager. Finally Mou ended up with Roma who are nowhere near to United or Chelsea. You don't need to be a 'United legend' to want to do well here. Actually the only man who fecked off to a holiday in the middle of a crisis was a United legend.
Like I said, let's leave it then

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I disagree with your summary, and your framing of "anyone who disagrees with me is RAWKish" shows the maturity lacking in your arguments (as does you trying to force your opinions on people in the wrong thread).

If you want to discuss this further, without the absolutes, take it to another thread and you can tag me in the post. This is the wrong place for it and you know it.

Regarding RAWK they tend to overestimate their own legends to the ridiculous and shut those who disagree with them which is exactly what you're doing in this very thread. Therefore if you disagree with my assessment regarding Ole then let's discuss it. That's the mature thing to do.

thejtrain

:lol:

No he wasn't. Some people have short memories.
Absolutely was, and by some distance, no amount of smilies can change that. Recency bias can work both ways, apparently. Spent the most money in all of the PL since he took over and won feck all. Forget winning trophies, he was so clueless our team was void of any identity or playing style.

Sviken

Absolute nonsense we are worse, you not remember the state of our team when Jose left, least whoever comes in got apparently a team that could win it all
What state did Jose left us really? We were in a bad form with bad results, but after the honeymoon phase of Ole's caretaking role, we were in the same state regardless - 6th position in a form that could only be described as absolutely disastrous, winning only 3 matches from 15. In comparison's to Mourinho's disastrous start of 22 games and 10 wins. So how good was Ole really, aside from the honeymoon period where we went on some unbelieavable streak? Okay, let's just excuse that season as half-Mourinho's and Ole was trying to salvage what he can, fine. But then in the following season we didn't do much better, ending with the same amount of points. The following season - again we didn't do any better. Finished second but with abysmally low points that wouldn't even get you top 4th in most seasons. This season has been a complete unmitigated disaster.

So despite all of the money spent, we're nowhere to be found. At least wtih Van Gaal he formed a style of play that we could have built on from there. Mourinho, albeit failing, delivered the best results, winning a couple of trophies in the process. The only one who Ole was superior to was Moyesy.

And as far as leaving a team that could apparently "win it all", that's not something to be applauded. It's not like he was working on a shoestring budget. Sancho, Ronaldo, Varane are not some hidden gems that Ole unearthed from nowhere. We paid quite heavily for those players in terms of wages and everything. Don't get me started on that slabhead and AWB, both are heavily suspect transfers. And albeit I do consider Donny to be a great player and having the potential to be the backbone of the team under a good manager, under Ole he was mistreated and misused heavily, especially given what is in front of him. What did Mourinho get for finishing second? Oh yes, a donkey in Fred. He was blocked from selling Martial and Pogba, too, which would have helped a lot of our problems right now.

In the end, Ole can take solace in the fact that he was better than an actually decent manager in Moyes, but that's it. We've failed miserably, we have no style of play and we're right back to where Mourinho left us - in a bad position, trying to salvage a season with no good manager in sight to take over until the end of the season

FreddieTheReddie

The disappointing thing for me is that he was a relatively young manager in the biggest club in the world who should have been buzzing with excitement and hell-bent on moulding us in his vision but he came in and effectively managed us like a 74 year-old caretaker for three years. Lack of energy or enthusiasm, stilted boring football that lacked shape, direction or intent. Truth be known, as a lovely as he might be as a person and as legendary as his player career is - to me he's always given the impression he's half-arsed the job.

Endless games where he'd passively sit and watch things go down the pisser rather than do ANYTHING to turn things around. Terrible individual performances that were rewarded by never being dropped as if he either didn't notice, didn't care or was too weak to act. Injured players clearly not fit getting game time - again as if he didn't notice, didnt care or was too weak to make a decision to drop them. Take your pick, it's all bad. Subs that bared no relation to how the game had gone or who was playing well or badly. Again, as if he didn't care, didn't notice or was too weak to make tough decisions.
Is this you thank you message? Very sweet.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
The disappointing thing for me is that he was a relatively young manager in the biggest club in the world who should have been buzzing with excitement and hell-bent on moulding us in his vision but he came in and effectively managed us like a 74 year-old caretaker for three years. Lack of energy or enthusiasm, stilted boring football that lacked shape, direction or intent. Truth be known, as a lovely as he might be as a person and as legendary as his player career is - to me he's always given the impression he's half-arsed the job.

Endless games where he'd passively sit and watch things go down the pisser rather than do ANYTHING to turn things around. Terrible individual performances that were rewarded by never being dropped as if he either didn't notice, didn't care or was too weak to act. Injured players clearly not fit getting game time - again as if he didn't notice, didnt care or was too weak to make a decision to drop them. Take your pick, it's all bad. Subs that bared no relation to how the game had gone or who was playing well or badly. Again, as if he didn't care, didn't notice or was too weak to make tough decisions.
I think his constant sitting down is because he basically didn't know what to do

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Is anyone here complaining about his playing days? What is this need of some fans to pat themselves on the back for being a supposedly superior fan because they are accepting of mediocrity and nepotism while others are not. He can be a great player who will always be remembered as being a key part of one of utd's greatest wins while also being a woefully incompetent manager who should never have been given this job. Those aren't mutually exclusive.
Jesus Christ get over yourself. Making it sound personal and like he's been trying to fail. The guy is a genuinely good bloke by all accounts, he loves the club and it's just not worked out. The end. No need for the constant whining like a little girl.

Meanwhile we still have bigger issues. The Glazers and the board. Maybe focus on that now.

FreddieTheReddie

Why can’t we keep this thread positive? Everyone has said their opinion on Ole countless times in other threads. This thread is to say goodbye and remember the best moments. Beating. Paris, Leipzig, Liverpool, City, Chelsea, seeing Mason’s incredible goals, Ronaldo back, Marcus Rashford MBE, reaching top 4 after lockdown, being top of the league last season. Thank you Ole for the good memories, you will always be a legend here!

stw2022

I think his constant sitting down is because he basically didn't know what to do
It definitely was. I think once it became clear the only thing he had going for him was a united dressing room the odds of him ever challenging players for poor performances either during a game or in the dressing room became longer and longer. I think that's why in the end even though they liked him I dont think they respected him

stw2022

Why can’t we keep this thread positive? Everyone has said their opinion on Ole countless times in other threads. This thread is to say goodbye and remember the best moments. Beating. Paris, Leipzig, Liverpool, City, Chelsea, seeing Mason’s incredible goals, Ronaldo back, Marcus Rashford MBE, reaching top 4 after lockdown, being top of the league last season. Thank you Ole for the good memories, you will always be a legend here!
It's a thread on the internet, not a myspace page dedicated to your favourite boyband member where you use his middle name to underline just how much more you love him than anyone else. Elton John isn't going to write a song for the occasion.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Nice we won some games - thanks OIe! We'd never won any games before you so we'll forever be grateful. We've no standards anymore.

FreddieTheReddie

It's a thread on the internet, not a myspace page dedicated to your favourite boyband member where you use his middle name to underline just how much more you love him than anyone else. Elton John isn't going to write a song for the occasion.
I mean we should show a little respect, but some people are obviously unable to do so.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Balls to thanking him.

Should've walked ages ago and he's left the club in an awful position which the next manager will take an age to sort out.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Oh yes he was and by a fair distance imo

Tactically so out of his depth.

Embarrassed in every game this season bar two.

Seems some people have short memories after all

Mourinho was embarrassed in nearly every game in his final season. Moyes was embarrassed for his whole tenure.

Ole or Moyes are the worst managers post SAF easily. Thing is Moyes only got 8 months. Ole got 3 years 500m and was awful. So he probably is the worst manager post SAF.

Absolutely was, and by some distance, no amount of smilies can change that. Recency bias can work both ways, apparently. Spent the most money in all of the PL since he took over and won feck all. Forget winning trophies, he was so clueless our team was void of any identity or playing style.

Ole had his united play better football than the others for the majority of his time. Miles more goals scored. His United scored 4 or more goals about 10 more times than the other 3 managers combined.

He also finished 2nd, LVG got no where near that, Moyes inherited the league champions and was miles behind when he got sacked.

LVG had United playing the worst, most boring football I have ever seen, for literally his whole tenure. Mourinho's football wasn't as boring but it wasn't far off.

Ole broke the record for the most away games unbeaten in PL history. Moyes destroyed United records that were held for 40 plus years.

LVG set the club back a lot of years by ripping out the winner pedigree by selling league winning players and replacing them with absolute dross. Mourinho would have replaced half of the team with ageing players and set the club back even more. At least the squad is in a much better position after Ole than it was after LVG and then Mourinho.

Like I said, people have such short memories.

SAFMUTD

Thank you for cheering the mood up 3 years ago, a shame that nothing was won, poor players were signed, we play like shit, we got humiliated by basically every top 4 rival besides Chelsea, and left a unsettled squad with no playing bases at all.

Besides that a pretty good job, Bounce and not good enough FC.

Loser manager should been gone a long ago.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Tried his best and will always be a legend. Obviously wasn't good enough in the end but the board have to take blame for not putting him out of his misery and giving contract extensions.

SAFMUTD

You mean if he wins the league with players that Ole bought in? Then yeah, Ole gets some credit for bringing them in. Lampard gets credit for assembling the team that Tuchel turned into a monster - rightly so. Good recruitment is a skill that some excellent tacticians never master.
What? Lampard gets no credit at all. If anything it highlights the incompetence of him by contrasting how good Chelsea play with Tuchel with the same bunch on players.

Hopefully the same will happen if/when we appoint a proper manager.

James Peril

Thanks Ole, all the best kid. Tried you best and brought a love back to the club after a very toxic period, left us with a good squad and optimism for the future.
I think this is strange, I’ve used the word deluded too many times in recent weeks to use it again. Trying your best means very little if you are incompetent. I could try my best to fly an airplane tonight, but the plane would most likely crash into a mountain. And what love are you talking about? This place has never been more polarized or toxic, the general feeling of apathy is evident… for years! The fanbase is more depressed than ever because of his absolute lack of ability. One of the worst managers in the history of the Premier League, finally he is gone and now we can hopefully hire a professional manager to sort out the mess the former one left behind. I have very little sentiment for a person that a) got something he did not deserve and b) leaves with 10M in his pocket for being crap.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
What? Lampard gets no credit at all. If anything it highlights the incompetence of him by contrasting how good Chelsea play with Tuchel with the same bunch on players.

The whole point is that Lampard had them doing high press for a year before Tuchel arrived. Tuchel just got them doing it much much better. It's unthinkable that he could have had such instant success had Lampard not prepared the way. We by contrast have no playing style at all and the wrong players to even attempt it. It's going to take a while so we need to start preparation now, not in the summer.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Look he is a terrible manager. No escaping that I'm afraid. A great fecking player though.

As a manager if I had to thank him for something it'd be his hoarding of players. At least the new guy has a plethora of riches to choose from.

SAFMUTD

The whole point is that Lampard had them doing high press for a year before Tuchel arrived. Tuchel just got them doing it much much better. It's unthinkable that he could have had such instant success had Lampard not prepared the way. We by contrast have no playing style at all and the wrong players to even attempt it. It's going to take a while so we need to start preparation now, not in the summer.
Still my points stands, there's a difference between a team that's playing well and it's just missing something to click then a manager comes and boom.

It wasn't the case at Chelsea and certainly it's not the case with us. Lampard and Ole should get no credit for anything that happens after the were sacked.

Deery

Dreary
I think this is strange, I’ve used the word deluded too many times in recent weeks to use it again. Trying your best means very little if you are incompetent. I could try my best to fly an airplane tonight, but the plane would most likely crash into a mountain. And what love are you talking about? This place has never been more polarized or toxic, the general feeling of apathy is evident… for years! The fanbase is more depressed than ever because of his absolute lack of ability. One of the worst managers in the history of the Premier League, finally he is gone and now we can hopefully hire a professional manager to sort out the mess the former one left behind. I have very little sentiment for a person that a) got something he did not deserve and b) leaves with 10M in his pocket for being crap.
Maybe you should take that flight..

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Still my points stands, there's a difference between a team that's playing well and it's just missing something to click then a manager comes and boom.

It wasn't the case at Chelsea and certainly it's not the case with us. Lampard and Ole should get no credit for anything that happens after the were sacked.
It's certainly not the case that we just need the right manager to make this team compete for silverware. The stench of decay at Old Trafford exists at all levels. And like a fish we have rotted from the brain first.

It self evidently was the case at Chelsea, so you have to say Lampard did a lot.

The Hilton

He gets plenty of credit, including from Tuchel, for putting the team together, but it's rightly highlighted that he simply couldn't get the performance out of them that a coach like Tuchel could.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Mourinho was embarrassed in nearly every game in his final season. Moyes was embarrassed for his whole tenure.

Ole had his united play better football than the others for the majority of his time. Miles more goals scored. His United scored 4 or more goals about 10 more times than the other 3 managers combined.

He also finished 2nd, LVG got no where near that, Moyes inherited the league champions and was miles behind when he got sacked.

LVG had United playing the worst, most boring football I have ever seen, for literally his whole tenure. Mourinho's football wasn't as boring but it wasn't far off.

Ole broke the record for the most away games unbeaten in PL history. Moyes destroyed United records that were held for 40 plus years.

LVG set the club back a lot of years by ripping out the winner pedigree by selling league winning players and replacing them with absolute dross. Mourinho would have replaced half of the team with ageing players and set the club back even more. At least the squad is in a much better position after Ole than it was after LVG and then Mourinho.

Like I said, people have such short memories.
Ole didnt even know his best 11, tactically out thought by most teams hes played this team. Embarassed by Liverpool City Leicester Watford Villa Atlanta Young Boys this season alone. Put out of the Champions League when he needed 1 point from the last two games. Said Itd dont play for a draw and played for a draw against Leipzig last season and get humiliated. Hes average at best. Give Moyes Jose or LvG this squad of players and you think they do a worse job?

Even though I dont rate him at all as a manager, I would have loved him to prove me wrong and win something (still a legend at the club and a legend as a player in my eyes), but alas he just wasn't up to the required standard. Shame that the idiots who run the club waited this long to put him out of his misery and he had to go the way he has.

Good luck Ole, where ever you end up.

Last edited: