Solskjaer's legacy and his future

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
He gets plenty of credit, including from Tuchel, for putting the team together, but it's rightly highlighted that he simply couldn't get the performance out of them that a coach like Tuchel could.
That's exactly what we need from an interim coach. He also got top four. He was also under a transfer ban a lot of that time and brought out a lot of youth talent. He's ideal if he will take it on those terms.

Roboc7

You mean if he wins the league with players that Ole bought in? Then yeah, Ole gets some credit for bringing them in. Lampard gets credit for assembling the team that Tuchel turned into a monster - rightly so. Good recruitment is a skill that some excellent tacticians never master.
No he doesn’t and won’t, new manager will inherit a squad assembled by multiple managers what he does or doesn’t do after that is up him.

Ole won’t get credit or blame for what someone else does, we can only assess Ole on what he did and state of team now. He’s failed and he’s left a mess which is the result of giving the job to someone who was totally out of his depth. Ole did well to delay this for as long as he did because it was inevitable.

The Hilton

No he doesn’t and won’t, new manager will inherit a squad assembled by multiple managers what he does or doesn’t do after that is up him.

Ole won’t get credit or blame for what someone else does, we can only assess Ole on what he did and state of team now. He’s failed and he’s left a mess which is the result of giving the job to someone who was totally out of his depth. Ole did well to delay this for as long as he did because it was inevitable.
Getting credit for someone else winning with the team he put together is getting credit for something he's done.

Lampard gets credit for what he did - assembling the team - and Tuchel gets more for actually winning with it.

ExoduS

Thank you, but am not sure how it got to be this bad at the end. Bad is drawing against Young Boys, Watford etc... but we were losing those games. As if he sabotages us or players at the end hated him so much so they sabotaged us. It seems we need to clean up a lot of players as well. Pogba, Matic, Mata, Martial ... all need to go.

Maticmaker

Ole's legacy as a player is not affected, he scored the goal that help secure the treble, for that he will always be a United hero!

Unfortunately the inability to win silverware as a manager was perhaps the beginning of his undoing. Ole put a smile back on everyone's face at OT when he arrived back and had he just fulfilled the role of interim manager and bowed out, once he saw the real depth of problems at the club, this question would not be being asked!

He didn't, and perhaps he didn't realise soon enough just what a mountain he was being asked to climb. So Ole will leave with most supporters good wishes and respect but perhaps less admiration for his management skills?

Hughie77

The Europa League Final was the game for me when I accepted he had gone as far as he could. Bottled it and was shown-up on a big stage by tactically superior manager with an inferior squad. And to think we had his new contract all lined up ready to announce because we hadn't even thought we might not win it.
Agree the board has cocked up in the dithering over the position. They have a lot to answer let's hope they get the right guy in next.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Getting credit for someone else winning with the team he put together is getting credit for something he's done.
Lampard gets credit for what he did - assembling the team - and Tuchel gets more for actually winning with it.
Exactly. Ole never put together a team. he just said yes to the transfer department that was run on commercial lines.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Exactly. Ole never put together a team. he just said yes to the transfer department that was run on commercial lines.
Yeah on the other hand, Lampard donated his sperm, fathered 20+ players and created a team.

The Hilton

Strongly disagree, Ole is responsible for his recruitment, just like previous managers.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Ole didnt even know his best 11, tactically out thought by most teams hes played this team. Embarassed by Liverpool City Leicester Watford Villa Atlanta Young Boys this season alone. Put out of the Champions League when he needed 1 point from the last two games. Said Itd dont play for a draw and played for a draw against Leipzig last season and get humiliated. Hes average at best. Give Moyes Jose or LvG this squad of players and you think they do a worse job?

Even though I dont rate him at all as a manager, I would have loved him to prove me wrong and win something (still a legend at the club and a legend as a player in my eyes), but alas he just wasn't up to the required standard. Shame that the idiots who run the club waited this long to put him out of his misery and he had to go the way he has.

Good luck Ole, where ever you end up.
Moyes did do a worse job. His team were the PL champions.

ryansgirl

My word, there's some assertions going on in this thread. We all don't like what is happening at United but Ole 'totally out of his depth'? That's nonsense.
He wasn't the best choice but that is a statement about David Moyes which happens to be true. Ole did stabilise the situation to some extent and getting a player like Sancho to come is to his lasting credit. Ole had some respectable runs but was just not the long term manager United need nor the tactician that is badly needed.

I was shocked to see his tactics in a number of games like the infamous final where players were run into the ground and other lads then brought on with no chance to have warmed up on the pitch.
However, the fact is United needs a very different kind of manager. not foreign for the sake of it but somebody who can bring tactical nouse as well as discipline while acknowledging that today's footballers are different.
As for the 'sabotaging' comments - more nonsense. But Pogba has gone as far as he will with United and needs a change, so does Mata but for different reasons, there are others. Mata's age is the big factor here. I like Martial but he won't fulfil his potential at United, there are a few others.
Thanks Ole, you were a good interim manager but probably shouldn't have been around for the length of time that you were. However, this is more a structural problem. Many of us appreciate what you did, your sense of honour in doing it and the fact that you always will be a United Legend. Hope you can manage again.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
I mean Moyes did do a worse job. His team were the PL champions.
Ok lets agree 4 managers who have all been way below par, the only consistent thing is the owners who chose to hire them…they are the ones the whole fan base should be targeting rather than the managers in all fairness.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
In recent weeks, I have been so frustrated by Ole but right now I just feel incredibly sad. I didn't cry over Jose, LVG or Moyes, but I have today. Despite all the bad things, he has given us some of the best times since Fergie - he brought back the spirit of Fergie's years, with incredible runs and often some brilliant football. It's definitely been a game of two halves and we can question forever what created the huge difference between the good times and the bad. The players have to take some responsibility, but why did Ole develop this strange style of man management which seemed to border on favouritism, with a stubbornness that was hard to fathom. I would imagine that even the players who were used regularly would have been a bit disturbed by the treatment of VDB and a few others, and maybe that affected them. We'll never know if more squad rotation would have brought better results but maybe it would have been one less stick to beat Ole with. Diallo had more to offer I think and we saw what DVB can do yesterday. We saw players under-perform but they may have had no reason to fight for their place as it was pretty much guaranteed.

I can't see things changing unless we get someone in quickly, even if only interim.

Some of our supporters have been a disgrace though - whatever Ole did, he believed in it - he didn't set out to drag United down.

OleBoiii

Seeing as I'm a glass half-full type of guy and that every other thread is filled with negativity(including this one it seems), I'm only going to focus on the positives:

Thanks for the rebuild. Van Gaal, Mourinho and you all had a tough task ahead. It's not easy for whoever takes over now, but their job is still significantly easier than before. You should take a lot of credit for that.

Thanks for the comebacks. Not just in single games, but also on a seasonal basis. Finishing 3rd in 2020 and 2nd in 2021 despite those rough starts is genuinely impressive. All the in-game comebacks were also a lot of fun and it proved that the players had the right attitude and that you could make adjustments when your back back is against the wall. Paris 2019 is still my favorite moment post Fergie.

Thanks for the entertainment. Primarily from beautiful goals and nail-biting comebacks, which is fitting for your legacy as a player.

Thanks for keeping your chin up and being the most likeable manager post Fergie by a country mile.

Roboc7

He hasn’t put a team together though it’s a huge mess, someone has to come in and sort all that out. He’s also instilled a terrible culture and attitude that needs to be stamped out.

Whatever happens from here has nothing to do with Ole, he tried but as expected he failed simple as that.

lex talionis

I share the mixed emotions about Ole’s service as manager. My eyes were opened that he needed to be sacked during the EL final, which he botched. But even if one thinks he was unlucky to lose that match, the timing was perfect to bring in a manager who was equipped to take United the next step.

The bottom line is that Ole wasn’t able to make hard decisions that needed to be made. He got comfortable with players who were underperforming. And, incredibly, he refused to give young players a proper chance.

With the squad we have right now, we should be competing for the PL trophy, not scrambling for fourth place. Ole had to go, but the executive team hasn’t showered itself in glory either.

The Hilton

He hasn’t put a team together though it’s a huge mess, someone has to come in and sort all that out. He’s also instilled a terrible culture and attitude that needs to be stamped out.

Whatever happens from here has nothing to do with Ole, he tried but as expected he failed simple as that.
There are plenty of things to criticise Ole for, but team attitude is not one of them. We've shown more fight and desire under Ole than any manager post SAF, as demonstrated by so many comeback victories.

Honestly it's like some people just want to hate Ole and can't look at anything he's done objectively.

Reactions: Livvie

Belisarius

In recent weeks, I have been so frustrated by Ole but right now I just feel incredibly sad. I didn't cry over Jose, LVG or Moyes, but I have today. Despite all the bad things, he has given us some of the best times since Fergie - he brought back the spirit of Fergie's years, with incredible runs and often some brilliant football. It's definitely been a game of two halves and we can question forever what created the huge difference between the good times and the bad. The players have to take some responsibility, but why did Ole develop this strange style of man management which seemed to border on favouritism, with a stubbornness that was hard to fathom. I would imagine that even the players who were used regularly would have been a bit disturbed by the treatment of VDB and a few others, and maybe that affected them. We'll never know if more squad rotation would have brought better results but maybe it would have been one less stick to beat Ole with. Diallo had more to offer I think and we saw what DVB can do yesterday. We saw players under-perform but they may have had no reason to fight for their place as it was pretty much guaranteed.

I can't see things changing unless we get someone in quickly, even if only interim.

Some of our supporters have been a disgrace though - whatever Ole did, he believed in it - he didn't set out to drag United down.
Describes my feelings exactly. So disappointed it didn't work out with him. The most frustrating part was we could all see how he was making this end inevitable with his own repetitive poor decisions. Ole just seemed to have a blind spot where he couldn't see what was obvious to everyone else.

abailey123

The next manager needs to bring his own back room staff with him. The one constant in Mourinho’s and Ole’s reigns ?
Carrick and McKenna sat either side of the manager. Neither are good enough to be coaches at this club. I think we’ll see over these next 2 games if Carricks in charge for both that Ole wasn’t the problem, his lack of coaching staff is.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Thank you Ole for all the memories and the effort!! After the absolute malaise of the LVG and Jose reigns, it was a welcome change to have one of our own at the helm. Really wanted it to work out for him here, but alas wasn't to be. Nevertheless, Ole will always be a legend here. I hope he finds great success in his next job.

Enigma_87

You know who
Yeah on the other hand, Lampard donated his sperm, fathered 20+ players and created a team.
Buying players like Sancho, DvB, Diallo, Telles was strange as feck. He either didn’t know how to use them or didn’t want to use them.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
:lol: To be honest when keyboard experts were calling Mount Lampard‘s son I had to google if this was actually true.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Thanks for signing some quality players, if he even had a say in that.

other than that, he was the biggest con artist that fooled a lot of our fans. Only those that understood football like myself noticed that much earlier on and despite the abuse I got, I feel vindicated Now

AndyMUFC

Shit happens. His old player songs will be sung at OT over the next few weeks. Good luck Ole.

Nero

20LEGEND.

Had to go, clearly not good enough. Shame on those who went personal and took the abuse too far.

spiriticon

3rd and 2nd place league finishes and a cup final.

He did an ok job. I wish people wouldn't forget that despite the last 8 weeks horror show.

Golden Nugget

Some disgusting comments in the thread.

It’s been poor this season, there’s no doubting that - and horrid for the last few weeks - but progress was made in the first two seasons and I thank Ole for it. Yes, it’s not great going behind every game - but seeing the team having great come backs made the games exciting to watch (I won’t forget the dreaded lvg games).

Roboc7

There are plenty of things to criticise Ole for, but team attitude is not one of them. We've shown more fight and desire under Ole than any manager post SAF, as demonstrated by so many comeback victories.

Honestly it's like some people just want to hate Ole and can't look at anything he's done objectively.
The attitude, work rate and culture are all pathetic, no idea how anyone can think otherwise. Big job for next manager to sort out.

Terry Chango

So much hate for ole….classy. If you don’t have anything positive to say then ignore the thread.

it didn’t work out but us so called Top Reds will still sing his name. It’s not about us having lower expectations and I wanted him gone after recent results.

stay strong Ole thanks for the good times, shame it didn’t work out.

CR1

Ole is a very good underdog and counterattacking manager - where it’s all gone wrong for him this season is the attempt at transitioning the team towards a more possession-based style of play.

In fairness the signing of Ronaldo, as good as he has been, has probably also caused an imbalance in terms of the player personnel which Ole was unable to sort out. His original intention was probably to let Cavani and Greenwood rotate at CF and play Sancho to the right and Rashford to the left. Not a bad idea, but then Ronaldo came in and pushed Greenwood to the right while Sancho got pushed to the bench. Which caused the imbalance.

Something another manager should be able to recitify.

Ole’s management of the likes of Vdb, Telles, Bailly and others also leaves a lot to be desired. Especially when you consider the bad form and injuries of come of his favorites.

Another error was that he kept too many players in the squad and failed to bring in a CDM/DLP and rotation option for RB.

Addressing those two positions in the summer was absolutely pivotal if he wanted to have any sort of chance of challenging for the title.

Also; Mejbri, Elanga and others should have been given more minutes than they have.

The best time for this change of manager was in the summer after the EU league final defeat and the second best time was after the defeat to City ahead of the most recent international break. (Btw – how many international breaks are there this season? Used to be only two.) The Ole Out:ers were by and large nowhere to be seen at that time but even if they had voiced their opinion I would have said that there’s no way you can sack him after he exceeded everyone’s expectations and finished second.

However, with all that being said, at least the change has been made now and all in all Ole has still taken the club/team forward. A new manager with different tactics and coaching can probably turn this squad into a tite-challeging one with a few quality additions. Something which was not the case when Ole took over.

Vdb and Sancho looked good against Watford and should both be in the starting eleven going forward, I thought.

Good and well-phrased statement by the club.

People can say what they want about Ole and his coaching staff, but the fact is that they managed to incrementally and progressively improve results until this season, when things fell apart for the reasons I mentioned. So I think a bit of nuance is in order when analysing things. Ole is the first United manager since SAF retired to deliver consecutive CL qualification. You can say that isn't good enough and you would be right but it is still better than the other ones.

OTRightWinger07

thank you ole

you were the only manager after SAF that brought the united DNA back to OT

we also saw the best football in OT since SAF left in those last months of the 2019-20 season, it was a joy to watch and rivals feared us.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
I heard the final straw wasnt the Watford game it was the failed contract renewal of Lingard. Losing a wonderkid with huge potential such as JLingz and the damaging affect on the stock price was too much for Joel Glazer to deal with.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
I blame DDG for not saving that penalty.... I don't really, obviously, but I wonder how different it would have been if he'd won a trophy, especially from those amongst us who are trophy hunters first and foremost.

pre Munich Red

So, yet another manager ‘bites-the-dust’ at MU, and now it is ‘one of our own’, how low can you go?
And that bunch of snowflake players continue to take their big pay packets, drive their big cars, get pampered by the Club, while whining on twitter/instagram or whatever about ‘where to put the ball, or what to do with it’!
Not a word about mis-passing, not getting the ball back, defending, holding midfield, linking mid-field from defence to attack!
As the great Roy Keane has said - ‘give me a break’!
All of this bunch of overpaid, characterless - apart from Cavani/Ronaldo - deserve to be sacked.
But they are good at one thing - putting managers ‘underthe bus’.
Bunch of shysters.
Stay well and healthy Olle.