Solskjaer's legacy and his future

Robbie Boy

Funny the inacceracies in here since yesterday alone: "Only manager post-Fergie to get us CL 2 years on the bounce" and "got us to two cup finals". The mental gymnastics to paint his tenure in a positive light is one thing, but the blatant lies are fecking hilarious :lol:

Last edited:

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Guys, it's all very simple!

Mourinho? The most successful.
Solskjær? The most entertaining.
Van Gaal? The best press conferences.
Moyes? The most Scottish.
Hotel? Trivago.

Now go on with your lives! Need I remind you that we have Ten Hag, Varane, Martinez, Casemiro, Eriksen and Bruno? :devil:

Foxbatt

Funny the inacceracies in here since yesterday alone: "Only manager post-Fergie to get us CL 2 years on the bounce" and "got us to two cup finals". The mental gymnastics to paint his tenure in a positive light is one thing, but the blatant lies are fecking hilarious :lol:
Didn't Moyes win The Charity Shield? I don't classify it as a trophy though Jose does.

city-puma

Hotel? Trivago.

Now go on with your lives! Need I remind you that we have Ten Hag, Varane, Martinez, Casemiro, Eriksen and Bruno? :devil:
The best post!

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
There are both so obviously, hilariously untrue. You don't beat the top teams so frequently or have your teams orchestrate comebacks so often without being tactically astute or having good game management.

Ole lacked the ability to coach the team to play to a consistent and organised level, but he was excellent at on the fly adjustments and setting up to counter other teams.
So excellent at making adjustments that we had threads predicting when he’ll finally make a fecking sub.

And it doesn’t take a genius to play as negative as possible and pray for a lucky counter. Our football under Ole was as negative as it gets whenever we get pressed.

Dion

So excellent at making adjustments that we had threads predicting when he’ll finally make a fecking sub.
People are terrible at the eye test. Over Solskjaer's last 50 games in the PL his average first sub time was the earliest in the Premier League by like 40 seconds. People only watch Man Utd, we weren't doing well towards the end so we ended up with arbitrary, nonsense complaints that even briefly watching other teams would highly how terrible they are.

And it doesn’t take a genius to play as negative as possible and pray for a lucky counter. Our football under Ole was as negative as it gets whenever we get pressed.
Just like the away record, if it was that easy more teams would have done it. It isn't.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Has anyone suggested a monument in his honour outside OT yet?

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Ole fan boys make up shit to make him look better. What a shocker :lol:
They love pulling out the 2nd placed trophy a lot. Ignoring the fact that it was the worst second placed finish in the league for some time and that 2nd place is also.. not an achievement.

elmo

They love pulling out the 2nd placed trophy a lot. Ignoring the fact that it was the worst second placed finish in the league for some time and that 2nd place is also.. not an achievement.
Yeah, most years the point total we got for second would barely make top 4, but you’ve them making it out to be a massive achievement for playing against injury hit teams while we were relatively healthy.

AshRK

Yeah, most years the point total we got for second would barely make top 4, but you’ve them making it out to be a massive achievement for playing against injury hit teams while we were relatively healthy.
That's one way to look and the other is we literally stopped focusing on league games and were playing europa semis and finals. Played Liverpool and Leicester at home within 48 hourz, played a full makeshift side against Leicester. Were playing in half asleep mode against Fulham at home and Leeds away.

Yes the 2nd is nothing to celebrate but truth is looking at 74 points doesn't give context as we could have easily gotten close to 80 points if we had no europa. So europa final and 2nd place in a nutshell is not a bad season at all. Anything to celebrate, ofcourse not.

elmo

That's one way to look and the other is we literally stopped focusing on league games and were playing europa semis and finals. Played Liverpool and Leicester at home within 48 hourz, played a full makeshift side against Leicester. Were playing in half asleep mode against Fulham at home and Leeds away.

Yes the 2nd is nothing to celebrate but truth is looking at 74 points doesn't give context as we could have easily gotten close to 80 points if we had no europa. So europa final and 2nd place in a nutshell is not a bad season at all. Anything to celebrate, ofcourse not.
The real context you need is that Liverpool and Chelsea were so bad that our real competition for most of the time was a Leicester side which had a smaller squad and they still kept it close till the last few games. We rested players not because we had to prioritise Europa, we rested players because top 4 was already achieved and winning Europa was the only way it could salvage a season where we did feck all in domestic cups and we were not in the title race at all.

It’s no real surprise that we found ourselves out of the top 4 when they recovered from having historically shit years for the past decade while we found ourselves going backwards under Ole with players getting progressively complacent with no improvements under him.

hobbers

FA cup quarter final loss to Wolves
FA cup semi final loss to Chelsea
Europa semi final loss to Sevilla
FA cup quarter final loss to Leicester
Europa final loss to Villarreal

Some cup legacy.

NewDawnFades

Some cup legacy.
Do you see a single cupset there though? There is nothing more embarassing than losing to a lower league team and Ole knows this and respects the fans by making it to the latter stages. People are just finding things to criticise him for now.

Karlos PFC

Hotel? Trivago.

Great post mate.

Pretty much this, though I have to admit that personally I enjoyed more the highs of Van Gaal (meaning a couple of months from each season. Like in his first year in April I think we played Liverpool, City, Spurs and another i cant recall and we battered them) football-wise than the highs of Ole

hobbers

Do you see a single cupset there though? There is nothing more embarassing than losing to a lower league team and Ole knows this and respects the fans by making it to the latter stages. People are just finding things to criticise him for now.
5 defeats to 5 worse teams in cup knockouts, in a row. Serial bottler.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Great post mate.

Pretty much this, though I have to admit that personally I enjoyed more the highs of Van Gaal (meaning a couple of months from each season. Like in his first year in April I think we played Liverpool, City, Spurs and another i cant recall and we battered them) football-wise than the highs of Ole
Each to their own. Personally I was asleep during most of Van Gaal's time here, but I remember the Liverpool games fondly!

One thing I'll give Van Gaal is that we hardly ever got humiliated. Although I guess that comes with the overly careful territory.

Greck

Some cup legacy.
Is this correct? I seem to remember them saying he had bad luck in cup draws but I didn't know they were calling the likes of Wolves and Sevilla bad luck. Did they expect KO cup games against non-league sides?

Amarsdd

Is this correct? I seem to remember them saying he had bad luck in cup draws but I didn't know they were calling the likes of Wolves and Sevilla bad luck. Did they expect KO cup games against non-league sides?
*face-palm* draws in earlier rounds when there are a load of dosh ...... at semifinal stage draws rarely even matter. And for Europa cup draws don't happen for semifinals and finals ....

Greck

*face-palm* draws in earlier rounds when there are a load of dosh ...... at semifinal stage draws rarely even matter. And for Europa cup draws don't happen for semifinals and finals ....
If you don't know how reported speech works there are plenty learning resources on the internet. Ole's excusers blamed his cup losses on unlucky draws. This is clearly not talking about earlier rounds so nice try lying about statements we all clearly remember being said. Why would the topic of bad luck even come up if discussing wins from earlier rounds? One wouldn't need to come up with mitigating reasons for those. The excuses were always clearly referring to his late round losses.

These Ole twats are still just as condescending while displaying thickness.

Amarsdd

If you don't know how reported speech works there are plenty learning resources on the internet. Ole's excusers blamed his cup losses on unlucky draws. This is clearly not talking about earlier rounds so nice try lying about statements we all clearly remember being said.
Where?

These Ole twats are still just as condescending while displaying thickness.
seems like you're describing yourself pretty spot on.

Greck

Where?

seems like you're describing yourself pretty spot on.
So in your memory the "bad luck" excuse was referring to earlier round games he won rather than the games where, you know, he actually lost and the opponents were tougher? If you even sat down to think about it for a second you would have quickly realised that conversation would have made no sense. I'm for sure talking to someone with zero deductive reasoning. Move along.

Amarsdd

So in your memory the "bad luck" excuse was referring to earlier round games he won rather than the games where, you know, he actually lost and the opponents were tougher? If you even sat down to think about it for a second you would have quickly realised that conversation would have made no sense. I'm for sure talking to someone with zero deductive reasoning. Move along.
Just because it makes sense in your head doesn't mean it actually makes sense.
"bad luck" in those games lost has all been about the game themselves, mostly about how we couldn't take our chances, not about we were "drawn" to play them at those stages.
"bad luck" about draws in earlier rounds were talked about cause out of all the lower league teams we always seem to get ones from the higher/PL teams thus us being unable to rest players in those rounds and play youngsters.
You're just connecting two different scenarios, and creating a non-sensical "ole supporters made excuses about the bad luck draws when losing finals and semifinals" argument in your head. Sure, it sounded like a great gotcha in your head, but its just thick.

hobbers

He had "bad luck" in the sense we got drawn against City in back to back league cup semis, but I didn't include them because we weren't favourites and it's only the league cup.

The FA cup and Europa were the big targets for the team at the stage we were at and he failed whenever a semi-decent side came along every single time.

Kelly15

Hotel? Trivago.

Fantastic post. Thanks for that I truly laughed out loud. Trivago. That's fantastic.

Greck

He had "bad luck" in the sense we got drawn against City in back to back league cup semis, but I didn't include them because we weren't favourites and it's only the league cup.

The FA cup and Europa were the big targets for the team at the stage we were at and he failed whenever a semi-decent side came along every single time.
Proper answer from someone with a clue. Thanks by the way.

NewUser777

Are the any factual wrongs? I mean, one could undermine the best away record, the goals or Man City wins to one’s agenda. But the stats don’t lie, do they? What your subjective take on it really don’t count.

Foxbatt

Are the any factual wrongs? I mean, one could undermine the best away record, the goals or Man City wins to one’s agenda. But the stats don’t lie, do they? What your subjective take on it really don’t count.
It's factually wrong. Jose got us into two CL tournaments back to back.

b82REZ

:lol:

That's what we were reduced to. Embarrassing.