Son Heung-min

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
You didn't answer my question though. Are you saying we won't compete with Mata, Mkhi, Herrera etc.?
Yes he would but that's still not what United should be striving for. United should get someone who's quite clearly better than all of those players.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Wouldn't suit Jose imo. Gets through a lot of good work, but is a bit inconsistent. He sees a lot of the ball which is why (I believe) his numbers are good, but with our system he's probably just below the quality necessary.

Jose's United is set up to only function with serious talent in the 4 attacking positions.

For me Griezman, even at double the cost, is better in every way for how we play.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
3 things on Son

1- very underrated
2- you get the feeling Fergie would have signed him before Spurs got him
3- as good as he is let’s face it he’d be a long way down the list if you were going to pay that kind of money for that kind of player

buckooo1978

another player who plays predominantly on left.... would be a nice addition if Jose decided to rotate Rashford and Lukaky

think Perisic would have added something a bit different but we really should be looking at the right

VanHaal'sRedArmy

As a KNT fan who followed Son's career since his days at Hamburg, I can say that his strengths are tailored fit for the Premiership. That said, Mou would probably want a more versatile left-winger/forward who can defend a bit better than Son and doesn't lose the ball quite so much in the build up.

Hansa

It's a shame Spurs didn't get rid of him (as was rumoured) after his uneven debut season. He's like Park's more predatory and skilful brother.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

It's a shame Spurs didn't get rid of him (as was rumoured) after his uneven debut season. He's like Park's more predatory and skilful brother.
Son has more attacking qualities than Park, but PJS had better workrate and skill on the ball. There is a golden generation of up-and-coming Korean midfielders and attacking players, shame there aren't more as talented defenders and keepers.

Hansa

Son has more attacking qualities than Park, but PJS had better workrate and skill on the ball. There is a golden generation of up-and-coming Korean midfielders and attacking players, shame there aren't more as talented defenders and keepers.
Are you Korean by any chance? It seems like South Korea ever since Cha Bum-kun has had individual talents, just not that many at the same time, and very few defenders altogether.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
One of my favourite non-United players. Fantastic talent, who is just getting better and better.

ArseHat

It seemed to me that PJS was more like a Barca player whereas as Son is more like a Madrid player in terms of style of play (methodical vs direct) They play different positions and have different roles so not a like for like comparison though.

Not to derail the thread, but what happened to the kid from Barca, Lee Seung Woo?, who was very highly touted in La Masia. Saw that he transferred to Hellas Verona in Serie A.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Are you Korean by any chance? It seems like South Korea ever since Cha Bum-kun has had individual talents, just not that many at the same time, and very few defenders altogether.
That 2002 world cup team was very balanced as far as the defense goes. HMB CJC KTY were all solid at the back hasn't been at that level ever since.

Last edited:

VanHaal'sRedArmy

It seemed to me that PJS was more like a Barca player whereas as Son is more like a Madrid player in terms of style of play (methodical vs direct) They play different positions and have different roles so not a like for like comparison though.

Not to derail the thread, but what happened to the kid from Barca, Lee Seung Woo?, who was very highly touted in La Masia. Saw that he transferred to Hellas Verona in Serie A.
Just given his debut a few weeks back and a brief (16min) cameo. This footage is his third appearance. Should be given plenty of opportunities seeing as Hellas aren't going to win much.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
I remember arguing with someone on here who thought that Spurs completely overpaid for him. Need to dig up those posts to boost my internet football knowledge credibility

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
Can we get Park to have a word ?
yesss. I get the feeling Son is the type who would push for a move to a bigger club. Would love him here at United. Have some actual directness and pace and wicked shots on goal for a change on that right wing spot.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
If we’re gonna bother with Levy then at least make it for Eriksen.

Munkehboi

If we’re gonna bother with Levy then at least make it for Eriksen.
100% this. Levy would probably ask for at least £35-50 million for Son I'd reckon. I imagine he would play 3 seasons for us and then have to serve for the Korean National service with little or no re-sale value when he returns age 30-31.

If were talking that sort of money I'd rather spend it on Perisic.

ArseHat

Just given his debut a few weeks back and a brief (16min) cameo. This footage is his third appearance. Should be given plenty of opportunities seeing as Hellas aren't going to win much.

Looks lively but final execution was off. Did Barca give up on him, not good enough to make it to the first team? Wiki says they have a buyback clause so they’re probably treating it somewhat like a loan.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Looks lively but final execution was off. Did Barca give up on him, not good enough to make it to the first team? Wiki says they have a buyback clause so they’re probably treating it somewhat like a loan.
I don't think they had room for him in Barca B, so both parties were dragging their feet in the summer until LSW made his decision to move to Italy. A lot of Korean fans were pretty happy for him to move on and make his pro debut. Yes there is a buyback clause in the contract so for whatever reason if Barca want him back, he'll be available.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He's alright, isn't he. I'm a fan of South Korea so I like him but I think we need better. Plus, you know, Levy.

InfiniteBoredom

Don't know what kind of price tag Levy is going to slap on him, but with that said Asian players don't say no to Utd, so that should drive down the price a tad.

Packing the squad with more squad players isn't what I'd want us to do though.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Don't know what kind of price tag Levy is going to slap on him, but with that said Asian players don't say no to Utd, so that should drive down the price a tad.

Packing the squad with more squad players isn't what I'd want us to do though.
Why? Just because of Park and Kagawa? Players will come for a pay raise and/or a regular place on the first team; has nothing to do with their ethnicity. If Son is happy at Tottenham, he'll stay. For the record, I don't think he'll fancy splitting playing time with Martial and Rashford.

InfiniteBoredom

Why? Just because of Park and Kagawa? Players will come for a pay raise and/or a regular place on the first team; has nothing to do with their ethnicity. If Son is happy at Tottenham, he'll stay. For the record, I don't think he'll fancy splitting playing time with Martial and Rashford.
How many Asian players ever had the chance to join 4 or 5 top clubs in the world? We are under-represented in elite football leagues and joining a top club is the pinnacle of one's career, you don't let a chance like that pass.

The 'happy so he will stay', I hate to tell you, is bollocks. Doesn't matter if it's Utd, Barca, Real, Juve, Bayern. When one of those clubs come calling, he'll pack his bags.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
How many Asian players ever had the chance to join 4 or 5 top clubs in the world? We are under-represented in elite football leagues and joining a top club is the pinnacle of one's career, you don't let a chance like that pass.

The 'happy so he will stay', I hate to tell you, is bollocks. Doesn't matter if it's Utd, Barca, Real, Juve, Bayern. When one of those clubs come calling, he'll pack his bags.
Why do we even want him though? Another option on the isn't required unless the players is genuinely great. Rather get a quality right winger/forward.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

He'll pack his bags when he's unsettled and Levy sells off their star players. I don't think he's at that level for the big clubs to come calling considering his age and pending military status.

Clas Sified

We better fecking win the Asian Games next year. It'd be a travesty for Sonny if he has to take 2 years out of his career for military service.

Saying that, looks pretty impossible the way we're playing at the moment.

InfiniteBoredom

Why do we even want him though? Another option on the isn't required unless the players is genuinely great. Rather get a quality right winger/forward.
Yeap, which is precisely my sentiment in the original post. Just responding to the notion that he'd be able to resist the prestige of a top 5 European club.

BananaIceman

Yes he would but that's still not what United should be striving for. United should get someone who's quite clearly better than all of those players.
Who are you referring to exactly? I would argue that Spurs have an excellent squad at the moment including Son who can compete with the best of the best. And frankly, some United fans need a reality check and get off the high horse. If we were so attractive to players, our squad who not be the way it is. The fact that so many excellent players have rejected our advances in recent times is proof of that.

Gee Male

Who are you referring to exactly? I would argue that Spurs have an excellent squad at the moment including Son who can compete with the best of the best. And frankly, some United fans need a reality check and get off the high horse. If we were so attractive to players, our squad who not be the way it is. The fact that so many excellent players have rejected our advances in recent times is proof of that.
So many excellent players have rejected our advances? Who are you referring to exactly?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is a good player but not someone we should be signing.

BananaIceman

So many excellent players have rejected our advances? Who are you referring to exactly?
Muller, Kroos, Hummels, Bale, De Rossi, Hazard, Benzema, etc, etc. If you disagree, I would appreciate more substance to engage in discussion.

Last edited:

meamth

If I'm not mistaken he was destined to play for the first team, but due to the youth tapping controversy, Barcelona cannot play him for several years. They had to sell him to give him playing time. He still got a buyback clause.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

If I'm not mistaken he was destined to play for the first team, but due to the youth tapping controversy, Barcelona cannot play him for several years. They had to sell him to give him playing time. He still got a buyback clause.
No. There aren't any restrictions for him to play for FC Barcelona since he turned 18. That two year ban from La Masia did have an impact on his youth development, though. When he did come back and played for Juvenil A, there was a noticeable drop in form compared with the rest of his teammates and especially Aleñá. Him and Paik (another SK midfielder) were moved to Verona and Girona respectively with the chance to prove themselves at the senior level. Barca B isn't all that great these days anyway, they wouldn't have much playing time along with all the other players brought in from outside La Masia and Segunda División is a bit rough around the edges. Better to play regularly for a first tier team even if they are fighting relegation, than to sit week in/week out in the second division.

Gee Male

Muller, Kroos, Hummels, Bale, De Rossi, Hazard, Benzema, etc, etc. If you disagree, I would appreciate more substance to engage in discussion.
After such a snotty comment about appreciating more substance to engage with, I'm now intrigued by the substance behind you claiming all of the above rejected us. Specifically:

Muller - Bayern have talked about us being interested but them not wanting to sell. If we haven't got past the club, then how has the player rejected us? You might provide some substance to that claim.

Kroos - didn't we feck around with the thought of making a bid, Moyes dicking about, and then he joined Madrid? Can you point out where this is the player rejecting us?

Hummels - I remember tabloid links to us, but don't ever remember seeing anything about us bidding or the player turning us down. Substance, please?

Bale - I think you're right on that one.

De Rossi - has never left Roma, has never really looked like leaving, how the hell has he rejected us? Had we ever agreed a fee with Roma? He may have used us for a new contract, hardly the same thing as rejecting us. You'll need to explain that one. Besides, you mentioned excellent players, De Rossi is a fraud (throwing that in for shits and giggles).

Hazard - eh, didn't we reject him due to outrageous agent demands? I thought that was pretty much universally known. You might let me know how he rejected us too.

Benzema - I think you're right here too. It's 8 years ago though.

You requested substance in my response - you're the one making claims here, the onus to provide substance is on you.

Your point in post 72 about United fans needing a reality check when discussing other teams' players is probably fair enough, but there's no need to create an alternative reality to try to make this point.

macheda14

Don’t forget about Pogba and Zlatan. Oh and to some extent (just because they didn’t work out, although they had the reputation as excellent players) di Maria and Falcao. Oh and if you’re going to use Benzema then I can use Van Persie.
Your tone is pretty shitty for a “newbie”

arthurka

But he had basically 1 in 2 last season so he's obviously improving his goal scoring which is only natural as players progress. You can't say he's basically done the same thing for years when he's blatantly improving his goal scoring.
He had a very good season last year.. Not sure he will hit the same heights this season but who knows. He had 17 goals in 41 games for Bayer once so scoring around 20 goals p/season isn´t unknown territory for him. He even has 20 goals in 60 for his national team. I would say he is a one goal every 3 games player. But I agree his overall game is improving..