Source - Manchester United believe football under Mourinho 'much better'

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think Cider and Pocco were the primary Moyes cheerleaders at the time. A good number wanted a bigger name manager like Mourinho or Pep.

Kag

The club is right in backing Mourinho, but we need to see an upturn in results very, very soon. There reaches a point (I think we've reached it) were the results are simply inexcusable, irrespective of how nicely we may or may not have played.

Mourinho's in-management and approach to bigger games has been erratic, too. We need to see more positivity.

We need to end the season flying and carry that momentum into the next season. And with that statement, I sound exactly like a Liverpool supporter.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Really? Most fans were happy with the club appointing Moyes.
No, most fans accepted him because he was supposed to be SAF's choice. And United fans are definitely snobs, I might exaggerate but it seems that for most fans only Mourinho, Guardiola, Ancelotti, Simeone and Klopp are good. People generally have doubts or don't rate Conte, Allegri, Favre, Emery, Luis Enrique, Wenger and others. If

All that to say that if Mourinho wasn't the right man, the likes of Jardim, Tuchel, Favre and probably others will be options and good options.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Really?

Even on here I thought it was closer to 50/50.
At best. Which is pretty crap when you compare it to how popular the last two appointments were.

The big difference with Mourinho is that the people who didn't want him as manager really hate him (and I'm typing this as someone who also used to despise the bloke) so it might give the impression he's divided opinion as much as Moyes.

Drifter

American
Would be news if they came out and said "We are playing absolute shite under Jose"

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
No. I was having a slight panic attack but kept thinking SAF and the board knew what they were doing.
It was a wtf moment.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
No we weren't. I wasn't anyway. We were blackmailed by SAF to accept the decision and support Moyes, which all of us begrudgingly did.

And yet even with that sort of heavy emotional backing, most of us realised within months that Emperor Moyes wore no clothes at all.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Really?

Even on here I thought it was closer to 50/50.
The 50 that spoke in his favour and supported him did so upon instruction from SAF.

I doubt even 1% of the fanbase would have done so without SAF's specific request.

Last edited:

RC89

I'm no longer depressed with our football, only the results now. One step at a time.

SalfordRed1960

Just because it didn't work out for one manager doesn't mean it will for another.

Because Van Gaal didn't work, it's suddenly a myth that it takes time for a manager to make a squad a team and coach them to win under his methods?
Don't be so sensitive, I was taking the p*ss

Moonwalker

Well, he definitely wants to put that thought out there. I don't think it's very good sign, even if it were true (and i don't think it is). We were told continuously by his supporters throughout the whole ordeal of his appointment, that we should forget the romantic notion of longevity in football and that we should also forget beautiful football, because the game is about neither of those things; it's all about the short term and results, and Mourinho they said brings instant success.

It's a very worrying thing that the goalposts have been shifted so quickly, and the cynics are now becoming romantics and aesthetes.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Well, he definitely wants to put that thought out there. I don't think it's very good sign, even if it were true (and i don't think it is). We were told continuously by his supporters throughout the whole ordeal of his appointment, that we should forget the romantic notion of longevity in football and that we should also forget beautiful football, because the game is about neither of those things; it's all about the short term and results, and Mourinho they said brings instant success.

It's a very worrying thing that the goalposts have been shifted so quickly, and the cynics are now becoming romantics and aesthetes.
Especially since Mourinho for most of his career has criticized teams that played pretty Football but, did not win trophies. And with all the unbearable chest beating over the summer on here after signing Zlatan and Pogba and the talk about getting our mojo back after the opening three wins it is amazing now all the soft expectations people have for the club this season.

Jaxa

So I know this is going to sound ridiculous and you can choose to believe me or not but Ed Woodward and His wife live in the same area as me in London and my barber also cuts Ed's hair, ive seen Ed a few times actually, never spoke to him though and tonight I asked him if he had seen Ed recently and he mentioned a few weeks ago that Ed says he's happy with Mourinho and the style of football we are producing and there's signs of improvement so this article is probably accurate

Walters_19_MuFc

It is. We just need to start turning these good performances into wins, because at the end of the day, it's a results business.

Funnily enough, Jose's football hasn't always been entertaining, but he's always delivered the goods. Kind of the opposite at United at the moment, but I have full faith that it will change.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
The 50 that spoke in his favour and supported him did so upon instruction from SAF.

I doubt even 1% of the fanbase would have done so without SAF's specific request.
I was a big fan of Moyes at Everton and wanted us to appoint him, even without Fergie's endorsement. But once it was official I did suddenly start wondering if it was a mistake. It didn't take me long to turn on him. :)

El Zoido

And they're right.

Results will follow performances like this. Rome was not built in a day.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I was a big fan of Moyes at Everton and wanted us to appoint him, even without Fergie's endorsement. But once it was official I did suddenly start wondering if it was a mistake. It didn't take me long to turn on him. :)
You are part of the 1% I spoke about! You actually exist!

RC89

I was stupid enough to be happy with the Moyes appointment too. Was my first choice alongside Klopp.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
So I know this is going to sound ridiculous and you can choose to believe me or not but Ed Woodward and His wife live in the same area as me in London and my barber also cuts Ed's hair, ive seen Ed a few times actually, never spoke to him though and tonight I asked him if he had seen Ed recently and he mentioned a few weeks ago that Ed says he's happy with Mourinho and the style of football we are producing and there's signs of improvement so this article is probably accurate
Yep.. Stop trying to take credit. We all know you are not the source.

Sylar

Ive been happier (although frustrated) going to Old Trafford this season compared to last. Last felt like a chore more than anything (and yes i was happy with the FA Cup, but that felt like a reward for sitting and watching or travelling up last season).

This season ive been looking forward despite the results (and im looking forward to some of the games coming up)

You can see progress, even if its slower than we've liked. However its true, we should probably be 10 points up on what we have and the results havent matched the performances.

MILLHILLMANC

Standards have really fallen. The football is ok but going by some of the comments here we re playing a mix of Barca/real and 90s united but just being unlucky. We are actually very average and unbalanced with players being played out of position...a good 10 minutes here a good ten there. It's poor and backed up by the results...

rocks13

Standards have really fallen. The football is ok but going by some of the comments here we re playing a mix of Barca/real and 90s united but just being unlucky. We are actually very average and unbalanced with players being played out of position...a good 10 minutes here a good ten there. It's poor and backed up by the results...
How dare you!!! Do you not know how many shots we had against Burnley?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
So what us your suggestion, we sack him?

MILLHILLMANC

So what us your suggestion, we sack him?
I want him to do well but anyone who knows anything about football knows yes he has been successful but he is a conservative coach always has been. In a time when Klopp and Pep were also available Eddie went for the guy who just wasn't the right fit and possibly past his best. For me never a Utd manager...fingers crossed he proves me wrong but not a great start and I bloody hate his 4231/451 formation..

Mindhunter

I want him to do well but anyone who knows anything about football knows yes he has been successful but he is a conservative coach always has been. In a time when Klopp and Pep were also available Eddie went for the guy who just wasn't the right fit and possibly past his best. For me never a Utd manager...fingers crossed he proves me wrong but not a great start and I bloody hate his 4231/451 formation..
Hahahahah, guy who won titles in four different leagues is never a United manager. Guy whose team won a league title against probably the best team in contemporary football is never a United manager. How the standards have fallen.

MILLHILLMANC

Hahahahah, guy who won titles in four different leagues is never a United manager. Guy whose team won a league title against probably the best team in contemporary football is never a United manager. How the standards have fallen.
Ha ha ha no I didnt think he was right for united. I hope he proves me wrong. It's far more than a successful track record. Klopp and Pep were far more united managers in my opinion. Your condescending attitude is actually quite sad - you don't really get the club do you?

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Just false.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Playing miles better. I remember last season or maybe the season before playing Palace at home and it was like watching paint dry. Mata got a goal to win it for us, but it was just terrible to watch. Now we look good. Ok results haven't gone as they should, but we are playing much better.

Smores

I'm no longer depressed with our football, only the results now. One step at a time.
This

For me that first step is more important than the latter as well. Okay right now i'd probably take a couple of boring and ugly wins but overall I need something to enjoy during the games, I really was losing the will to watch us last season.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Pretty sure I said at the time of moyes' hirijg that he would be gone within a year because I didnt rate him at all as a manager, certainly not for a club like united. There were plenty who agreed with me. Generally when opposing fans are laughing at a club over their decisions and want the managers to stay, then you know its better to get rid.

Anyway, onto Van Gaal, he was a much better choice then Moyes, and had plenty of good moments. Ultimately, was too boring and sacrificed all style in order to try and get results which he didnt get.

Mourinho now was always the right man to take over I felt. Said it back in 2013 but he was one of maybe 2 or 3 that was equipped to take over after Fergie. Of course I didnt expect the results to be struggling as they are, but there are pretty valid reasons for it. Stats wise in terms of our overall performances, we should be higher up in the table. Whether you think awful finishing is down to luck or something else, we are generally controlling every game and clearly the better side, but then dont know how to see games out yet or kill them off. Because of that, plus a lack of confidence at this point probably, we drop a lot of stupid points in the league. Wouldn't surprise me at all to be a lot more consistent in the cups, and kill teams off their, as we seem more confident in those. Hopefully we manage to win a few. But this season is overall a transitional season to get us consistent and playing good football and hopefully come the second half of the season, we get the consistency in the league as well. The football being good to watch makes me have hope.