South Africa World Cup Will Be A Disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
This was before I joined these boards but I remember a lot of negativity towards Africa hosting a World Cup in 2010 from Europe so I decided to check what the general opinion of red cafe.net was back then about RSA hosting it.

Coming to think of it, every event outside Europe received the same negativity. Brazil 2014, Russia 2018 and now.
Brazil. The people didn’t want it because the country was plagued with poverty and wanted the billions spent on stadiums spent on education and healthcare. Fast forward a few years and most of the stadiums built have been allowed to fall into disrepair or abandoned.

Russia. Corruption and questionable attitudes to freedom and lgbt people. Exact same thing thats going on with this world cup.

Isn’t it time people try to be more open minded about hosting these things? a World Cup by nature should be hosted by different continents(all continents). Maybe the country should first be able to host continental tournaments before World Cup but there is no point in it being the World Cup only for it to be played in 1st world countries when 3/4 of the world population don’t live in first world countries.

There will always be regional concerns based on beliefs, poverty , racism etc but that’s the ugliness of the world we live in.
Tell that to the people staving in Brazil while their government pumped FIFA and building contractors full of money to host the games.
The issue isn’t about who should host it, it’s about the host being able to do so with out bribing people for it and screwing over thier own people to get it. This open mindedness you speak of is actually the opposite of that. It’s bury your head in the fecking sand while cnuts use public money to host a vanity tournament while people suffer.

Qatar wanted the public relations boost that comes with hosting a World Cup. Well, being held to account on the world stage for your shitty human rights record is part and parcel with that.

Pronewbie

Peep
It’s okay, they probably need a bit more time to spot the pattern. Can’t really blame them as their media are amazing at vilification while white-washing their own sins, especially the atrocities and effects of empire, which continue in many parts of the world to this day.

MUnchies

Brazil. The people didn’t want it because the country was plagued with poverty and wanted the billions spent on stadiums spent on education and healthcare. Fast forward a few years and most of the stadiums built have been allowed to fall into disrepair or abandoned.

Russia. Corruption and questionable attitudes to freedom and lgbt people. Exact same thing thats going on with this world cup.

Tell that to the people staving in Brazil while their government pumped FIFA and building contractors full of money to host the games.
The issue isn’t about who should host it, it’s about the host being able to do so with out bribing people for it and screwing over thier own people to get it. This open mindedness you speak of is actually the opposite of that. It’s bury your head in the fecking sand while cnuts use public money to host a vanity tournament while people suffer.

Qatar wanted the public relations boost that comes with hosting a World Cup. Well, being held to account on the world stage for your shitty human rights record is part and parcel with that.
If you are going to be nitpicking then no country will host any world cup or any event, every country has their bad side. There aren't people also starving in UK and other European countries? Are there not corrupt politicians and officials too?

These are the type of events that brings hope and joy to people who have none. The world cup in Africa was huge for us (Ghanaian), you really believe people in Africa were against it because there is poverty for example? It brought excitement all over. The capital it brought to the local vendors, street food sellers, small hostels an motels, merch sellers etc was immerse.

You are looking at it all from the wrong perspective.

Lebo

The people in Brazil voted for that government and it’s their responsibility to remove the government if they feel like their are squandering money. It’s not up to FIFA to decide that. Problem is that you can have 100k people vocal against the World Cup in a country with millions of people and if media covers their views more often than those who are for it and that will paint a wrong picture of what people actually want.

I’m pretty sure we can find thousands of people in USA who don’t want that World Cup for multiple reasons.

If FIFA decide to set standards before anyone can host a World Cup then that will be fine.
1. No terror attacks.
2. Crime rate below a certain level.
3. No football hooliganism cases at professional level.
4. HDI at a certain level
5. Human rights
This will be fine by me but until then, we all just have to apply and bribe.

Lebo

If you are going to be nitpicking then no country will host any world cup or any event, every country has their bad side. There aren't people also starving in UK and other European countries? Are there not corrupt politicians and officials too?

These are the type of events that brings hope and joy to people who have none. The world cup in Africa was huge for us (Ghanaian), you really believe people in Africa were against it because there is poverty for example? It brought excitement all over. The capital it brought to the local vendors, street food sellers, small hostels an motels, merch sellers etc was immerse.

I’m pretty sure the hooliganism in Euro 2016 and the 2015 terror attacks in France would have disqualified France for the next 100 yrs if they were from a different continent. If I was to mention France hosting 2030 WC, a lot of people would object because they recently hosted it(1998) not those concerning security issues. That’s the problem I have.

Norman Brownbutter

The people in Brazil voted for that government and it’s their responsibility to remove the government if they feel like their are squandering money. It’s not up to FIFA to decide that. Problem is that you can have 100k people vocal against the World Cup in a country with millions of people and if media covers their views more often than those who are for it and that will paint a wrong picture of what people actually want.

I’m pretty sure we can find thousands of people in USA who don’t want that World Cup for multiple reasons.

If FIFA decide to set standards before anyone can host a World Cup then that will be fine.
1. No terror attacks.
2. Crime rate below a certain level.
3. No football hooliganism cases at professional level.
4. HDI at a certain level
5. Human rights
This will be fine by me but until then, we all just have to apply and bribe.
Congrats on missing the point and supporting cnuty governments.

Tap

It’s okay, they probably need a bit more time to spot the pattern. Can’t really blame them as their media are amazing at vilification while white-washing their own sins, especially the atrocities and effects of empire, which continue in many parts of the world to this day.
A nice summary of the US, UK and some EU states.

Norman Brownbutter

It’s not nitpicking. The point being made was that people to “open their minds“, the implication being that it was some sort of bigotry that was fuelling condemnation of various World Cup venues. I discredited that. You call that nitpicking, I can that what actually happened. I know morons on the internet have a tough time separating facts with feelings, but give a try sometime. You never know, it might suit you.

Tyrion

Many of the people most outraged by the Qatar World Cup are left wingers who are also the most likely to bring up the bad legacy of European empires.

Plus, "your criticism of the Qatar World Cup is invalid because you're British and they invaded India" isn't a great argument.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Attention seeking at its finest. Thought you would bump a 14 year old thread because you would get much more traction than inserting your post in a more relevant topic in the current WC forum. Look at me everyone!!!!!!!!

FriedClams

Attention seeking at its finest. Thought you would bump a 14 year old thread because you would get much more traction than inserting your post in a more relevant topic in the current WC forum. Look at me everyone!!!!!!!!
how surprised are you it wasn’t Samid who bumped it though?

Sweet Square

It was a very boring World Cup, which was down to the football. Didn’t help Ghana got screwed over by the suarez cnut and that Spain team was the dullest team football has ever seen.

Just a really bland era for international football.

Carolina Red

Staff
This was before I joined these boards but I remember a lot of negativity towards Africa hosting a World Cup in 2010 from Europe so I decided to check what the general opinion of red cafe.net was back then about RSA hosting it.

Coming to think of it, every event outside Europe received the same negativity. Brazil 2014, Russia 2018 and now.

Isn’t it time people try to be more open minded about hosting these things? a World Cup by nature should be hosted by different continents(all continents). Maybe the country should first be able to host continental tournaments before World Cup but there is no point in it being the World Cup only for it to be played in 1st world countries when 3/4 of the world population don’t live in first world countries.

There will always be regional concerns based on beliefs, poverty , racism etc but that’s the ugliness of the world we live in.
Don’t bump an ancient thread about a long ago World Cup to talk about this one. Start your own thread or post in a current one.

Status
Not open for further replies.