South Africa World Cup Will Be A Disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Is this the same Italy which lost out on the 2012 Euros to Ukraine/Poland because of crowd disorder problems? The same Italy where the police go round beating up and even shooting fans? You're living in dreamland mate.
Yes, the very same Italy who happen to be World champions, have hosted the thing 18 years ago, have a whole load of large stadiums and is in Europe.

I don't think they'd be a great choice to host a World Cup at short notice, but they can certainly do it.

Cal?

CR7 fan
make that 200 years

and if people are worried about the crime in SA

dont even try and step foot in india.
World Cup in India, I doubt we'd see that before the end of the World...

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
make that 200 years

and if people are worried about the crime in SA

dont even try and step foot in india.
?

Crime in India is much better state than in SA. It's not even comparable unless you only count states like UP or Bihar.

jatin

there's too much blood in my alcohol system!!
?

Crime in India is much better state than in SA. It's not even comparable unless you only count states like UP or Bihar.
Last time I checked UP and Bihar were very much part of India

so there is no question of counting them out

besides
have you been on the bombay buses in rush time

there were several cases where thugs would spray your hands with a temporary anesthetic and chop of your fingers or so to grab your rings n stuff

and this is just one example, you very much know what the underworld is capable of
I doubt that kinda shit happens in SA

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout

besides

there were several cases where thugs would spray your hands with a temporary anesthetic and chop of your fingers or so to grab your rings n stuff

and this is just one example, you very much know what the underworld is capable of
:lol:

You need to read some articles on SA crime problem. I know someone who dropped out of their degree after living 6 months in Durban or Jo'Burg (Forgot which). Mumbai 'Underworld' still does not compare to proper mafia in west.

Crime stats whether it be murder rate or rape rate is much worse in US compared to India.

jatin

there's too much blood in my alcohol system!!
:lol:

You need to read some articles on SA crime problem. I know someone who dropped out of their degree after living 6 months in Durban or Jo'Burg (Forgot which). Mumbai 'Underworld' still does not compare to proper mafia in west.

Crime stats whether it be murder rate or rape rate is much worse in US compared to India.
thats probably because its the cops who perform teh crimes in india

and they pretty much dont bother to report those (stats wise)

SAred

Lee Martin Scores , Sir Alex legacy begins
Just a little good news coming from this side , the government has given the go ahead to purchase generators to the tune of R250million to make sure that the staduims will be completed well ahead of time. Also im sure that all the lodges and hotels shall be taking action now and will not have any problems making your stay this side has enjoyable has anywere in the world.

If you need to keep upto date regarding our power crisis please pop onto this site http://www.eskom.co.za/live/loadshed.php

CapeTownRed

It is people like u that should be kept away from the internet, so if someone has a opinion that is bad about your contry then he is a cock? The fact remains that your country is truely troubled by crime and criminals.
Sure we've got a problem with crime, especially violent crime in some parts. Sweeping statements like his, however, annoy me. People who make such statements and pass them as fact annoy me. I call people who annoy me cocks sometimes.

He may or may not be a cock, but in MY OPINION he is. Simple really.

Furious George

besides
I have!

Back in the days when it was called Bombay, too.

Rained the rain that Noah promised, that day. And I got to feck Kate Elson before she got fat and saggy breasted.

Magical stuff!

Postcards from the 90's is a Furious George production.

VP

besides

India's not a dangerous place to live in. South Africa has a murder rate of 39 per 100,000. India's doesnt even compare.

AlwaysRedwood

Well, I'm not sure how the infrastructure is coming along, but the crime seems to be going well.
The Confed Cup is only a few days’ old. In that time the Reuters news agency’s senior football writer has been mugged for cash by late-night traffic police and two separate incidents were reported to this correspondent by promotional partners at the event – one of a gunpoint robbery, one of a potential kidnap.

A reporter from the Spanish sports paper Marca, sent with €1,000 to try to buy tickets and follow the event as a fan, was attacked and robbed.

Maroon Lucifer

My father lived in Cape Town for a few years in the late 90's early 00's. Well I suppose he lived in quite safe circumstances, because the neighborhood was fenced in, and armed guards were on patrol 24/7. Ofcourse I read up on the place as my father was moving there, and I remember an article mentioning South Africa as the most dangerous place in the world for a tourist to visit, second only to Miami, FL.
I expressed my concern when I talked to him on the phone, but he said not to worry, because he had come to know a Russian who had provided him with a gun. How suspect does that sound?
My fathers wife also wanted to open a hair dresser's or beauty salon, but they found out that 7 hair dressers had been killed in their area in the previous 3 or 4 months. Victims of burglaries.
He lives in Norway now, and I am sure that is a lot safer.

Red-Wedge

Is this the same Italy which lost out on the 2012 Euros to Ukraine/Poland because of crowd disorder problems? The same Italy where the police go round beating up and even shooting fans? You're living in dreamland mate.
I've got a vague but distinct feeling that a lot of Britons have a very distorted (probably tabloid-induced) idea of what ordinary living down here is like.

AlwaysRedwood

My father lived in Cape Town for a few years in the late 90's early 00's. Well I suppose he lived in quite safe circumstances, because the neighborhood was fenced in, and armed guards were on patrol 24/7. Ofcourse I read up on the place as my father was moving there, and I remember an article mentioning South Africa as the most dangerous place in the world for a tourist to visit, second only to Miami, FL.
I expressed my concern when I talked to him on the phone, but he said not to worry, because he had come to know a Russian who had provided him with a gun. How suspect does that sound?
My fathers wife also wanted to open a hair dresser's or beauty salon, but they found out that 7 hair dressers had been killed in their area in the previous 3 or 4 months. Victims of burglaries.
He lives in Norway now, and I am sure that is a lot safer.
Yeah, I knew a guy who went to visit his brother there a couple of years ago. They were driving down a isolated highway and saw a guy broken down on the side of the road with a sign that said "Help." So, my friend starts to pull over. His brother immediately grabbed the wheel and slammed his foot on the gas, speeding away. They heard a loud thump.

When they got to a gas station a couple of miles away, they pulled over and found a bullet lodged in the car.

How many tourists will know not to stop for the "Help" guys?

I_live_cement

Cat freak
Why not Canada, everyone forgets about us. It would have to be spread out throughout the country ranging from Vancouver, to Calgary to Toronto and to Montreal. It would unite the country and build some excitment about football. We did a marvelous job in the Youth World Cup, we set attendance records. Toronto is the most mutli cultural city in the entire world and Montreal and Vancouver are up there as well. When Italy won the world cup and Greece won Euro, thousands of fans poured into the streets, every nation in the world is represented in good numbers in Toronto. IT woud create an absulutely amazing atmosphere when they mix with the foreign supports. Our infrastructure is top not accross the nation and everyone knows Canada is probably the safest country out there. Football, or 'soccer' would explode here and maybe Hargreaves would play for his native Canada and not for England. He would make a HUGE difference for us.
Was that a serious post?

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Hosts with number of times hosted in brackets

1930 Uruguay (1)
1934 Italy (1)
1938 France (1)
1942 No tournament
1946 No tournament
1950 Brazil (1)
1954 Switzerland (1)
1958 Sweden (1)
1962 Chile (1)
1966 England (1)
1970 Mexico (1)
1974 Germany (1)
1978 Argentina (1)
1982 Spain (1)
1986 Mexico (2)
1990 Italy (2)
1994 USA (1)
1998 France (2)
2002 South Korea/Japan (1)
2006 Germany (2)
2010 South Africa (1)
2014 Brazil (2)

So Germany, Italy, France and Mexico have already held it twice and the USA only 16 years ago.

If it didn't come to England with all the existing infrastructure in place it would be another example of FIFA bias!

Although to be fair Australia, Canada and Greece would work and they have never held a final tournament.

Can't see India or China being considered for the time being.

Bearded but no genius

The USA is actually more "ready" for a tournament in terms of the public's view of football than it ever has been.

Mind you, our last one was only 15 years ago so I can imagine the riots in England.

Lebo

This was before I joined these boards but I remember a lot of negativity towards Africa hosting a World Cup in 2010 from Europe so I decided to check what the general opinion of red cafe.net was back then about RSA hosting it.

Coming to think of it, every event outside Europe received the same negativity. Brazil 2014, Russia 2018 and now.

Isn’t it time people try to be more open minded about hosting these things? a World Cup by nature should be hosted by different continents(all continents). Maybe the country should first be able to host continental tournaments before World Cup but there is no point in it being the World Cup only for it to be played in 1st world countries when 3/4 of the world population don’t live in first world countries.

There will always be regional concerns based on beliefs, poverty , racism etc but that’s the ugliness of the world we live in.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
South African World Cup was crap. Ruined atmosphere, boring matches, none of the best players turning up and some stupid beach ball design.

Lebo

South African World Cup was crap. Ruined atmosphere, boring matches, none of the best players turning up and some stupid beach ball design.
I’m not a fan of vuvuzelas either being from South Africa but the rest of the stuff you can’t blame it on the host country. The Vuvuzela issue was easy to solve if it was a major concern for most people. Anyway your opinion is well understood but the point about the World Cup going to different continents still stand. If Qatar is going to host a World Cup without beer then let it be. It’s how the other part of world live.

Last edited:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I’m not a fan of vuvuzelas either being from South Africa but the rest of the stuff you can’t blame it on the host country. The Vuvuzela issue was easy to solve if it was a major concern for most people. Anyway your opinion is well understood but the point about the World Cup going to different continents still stand. If Quatar is going to host a World Cup without beer then let it be. It’s how the other part of world live.
That’s true. The host country was one of the best things about that World Cup. I’m just remembering.

Traub

I’m not a fan of vuvuzelas either being from South Africa but the rest of the stuff you can’t blame it on the host country. The Vuvuzela issue was easy to solve if it was a major concern for most people. Anyway your opinion is well understood but the point about the World Cup going to different continents still stand. If Quatar is going to host a World Cup without beer then let it be. It’s how the other part of world live.
If Qatar was a utopia for human rights except for the right to drink beer, I’m sure the majority of fans would have no problem with the hosts.

The main issues with Qatar is firstly (and most importantly) the terrible human rights record - including for those who had to build the stadiums. And secondly, the fact that Qatar won the bid purely by bribing the voters (I’m not ignorant to the fact that probably every World Cup host has bribed to some extent, however the other countries at least have logical arguments for hosting).

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
If Qatar was a utopia for human rights except for the right to drink beer, I’m sure the majority of fans would have no problem with the hosts.

The main issues with Qatar is firstly (and most importantly) the terrible human rights record - including for those who had to build the stadiums. And secondly, the fact that Qatar won the bid purely by bribing the voters (I’m not ignorant to the fact that probably every World Cup host has bribed to some extent, however the other countries at least have logical arguments for hosting).
This.

Peoples concerns aren't "oh, they don't allow beer, what the hell" it's the many thousands of preventable deaths, unpaid wages and trapping workers in the country that people are mad about.

The idea that it is a "sports washing" exercise is largely redundant at this point, it is just wilful ignorance.

Lebo

personally there are countries that I’ll never go to watch a World Cup in.

My problem is not people having a problem with Qatar. My problem is people having a problem with every World Cup that is hosted outside certain countries. If it was RSA only then it will be understandable. If it was Qatar only then it will still be understandable. But people had a problem with RSA 2010, Brazil 2014, Russia 2018 and Qatar 2022.

Maybe FIFA is good at choosing terrible hosts but we are yet to be disappointed by the hosting countries so far.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

My problem is not people having a problem with Qatar. My problem is people having a problem with every World Cup that is hosted outside certain countries. If it was RSA only then it will be understandable. If it was Qatar only then it will still be understandable. But people had a problem with RSA 2010, Brazil 2014, Russia 2018 and Qatar 2022.

Maybe FIFA is good at choosing terrible hosts but we are yet to be disappointed by the hosting countries so far.
And you think you're making that point by bumping a thread as proof that couldn't even fill two pages?

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I really enjoyed 2018.

The South African one was the worst in my lifetime in terms of entertainment and those damn vuvuzeles, but again I though most were very happy for the tournament to be held there and seemed well organised

Last edited:

NYAS

That’s because the Western viewpoint is generally the dominant one. You’ll usually find outrage at any WC that isn’t hosted in a Western country.

You won’t see or hear a peep of discontent about the 2026 World Cup.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It was the best one since 2006 which was a better one but I agree after the utter trash that was 2010 WC it was a breath of fresh air.

2018 on the other hand felt largely like a big nothing
Thought there were some really good knock out ties in 2018, France-Argentina, Brazil-Belgium and even England-Croatia were all gripping in their own ways.

2014 had 1-7 though so can't beat it....

Ish

Lights on for Luke
From a selfish/personal point of view, 2010 was the best World Cup and experience for me by far. And that’s because we hosted it. The country and atmosphere basically everywhere, was insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.