Mon, 8 December 2014 @ 8:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 56 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
    They've been fantastic all season. They had a poor game against newcastle but there is no doubt they've been playing brilliant football. We haven't (I know we've had a huge amount of injuries) and we're third. The statement was correct in my opinion. Except there is a gap in quality between Chelsea and City too. Then a gap to the rest.
    They were actually dog shit vs Leicester, Crystal Palace and QPR too please check your facts.
    As for City do not get me stared.

Burzum

Entertainment factor - zero.
    Only plus point is that RVP worked his socks off and got his goals.

There's been a robbery tonight in Southampton. No way did we deserve the points.

MrMancunianRed

Oh god.. I will take it... C'mon lads... I will take it...I will take it...

I will take ugly win over good performance loss in this league...

SirFergie

RvP was superb tonight, 2012/13 form. Impeccable hold up play, leading the line superbly and of course 2 goals to boot. Better 2nd half but we look nervous away from home still despite winning the last 2.

DFreshKing

Fellaini really picked up after a poor first half. Won loads of headers and tackles in the last 15 minutes plus generally pestered there attacking mids. RVP did the business and rooney battled.

Southampton made it tough with a high pressing game at home, sometimes you just have to tough out an away.

We used to do this all the time with Fergie's teams.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
    RVP the only decent player on the pitch, everyone else was shocking. Our defence is atrocious without Smalling and Fellaini was back to looking like a Sunday league player.

Golo

I hope this 3-5-2 is something we won't repeat again.

Redlyn

Totally agree its almost like the pundits forget we have so many injuries to our backline, really impressed with how LVG is getting us through xmas period, even if the last few games have been a bit snatch and grab.
    As long as we have the players we do in defense we will keep singing this pathetic song about injuries to our backline. The are a bunch of crocks. We need to sort it out or suck it up.

matt23

- We can't play against a team that presses that high.
    - Worst performance in a very long time.
    - None of our CB's should EVER dribble with the ball!
    - I haven't seen RVP work this hard in a game ever.

- 3 POINTS!!!! YEEEAHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I would have posted pretty much the exact same. RVP deserves a medal for that. And we really are pathetic with high pressing teams

Mr.Kaya

What a match from Van Persie! Another vital win, and that on a day where we dont play at our best, at all. But a win is a win!

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
    Very poor but a good sign when you can win and be as poor as everyone was baring De Gea and Van Persie. Sad for Falcao but hopefully he'll feature and score against Liverpool. RVP easily our best player on the night.

shaky

Great result. There's nothing more sickening for your rivals than when they see you steal a win that you shouldn't have :)

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
    Koeman had this plan to hustle close down, press, but they got tired in the end. It was tough but we deserved it.

simonhch

Horrible boss
    Supports
    Urban Combat Preparedness
    Beautiful crisp football, high energy passing and wonderful movement. Yep, Southampton are pretty good.

JP77

Undeserved win. Apart from RvP and Young the team was awful, the defense especially. 3 points is 3 points though, but a better performance will be needed against liverpool thats for sure.
    Liverpool have been dire for the most part this season. Don't think they'll press us as well as Southampton did today either.

Marcelinho87

Lucky. Not convinced by LVG. Not convinced by Rojo. Valencia was OK but such a liability going forward. Mata doesn't do anything. Fellaini is not a starter in every game. Rooney is simply terrible after any injury.

RVP saved us and Rooney's free kick. Simply awful. That wad like moves but with more luck and RVP playing like it was 3 years ago.
    Luck was nothing to do with it. Southampton's inability to finish and RVP been in clinical mood was what won us that game, not luck.

Jerch

Koeaman obviously jinxed it with his comments "RVP will star scoring again but hopeful not against us".

What a performance from RVP, not only scored two but getting deep and taking the ball forward to.

hobbers

City have not looked any better than we have, Aguero aside.

Mangala and Fernando have been especially dog shit.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
    They were actually dog shit vs Leicester, Crystal Palace and QPR too please check your facts.
    As for City do not get me stared.
    Check my facts? :lol:

I hate saying it. I don't like them. But Chelsea have been a class apart all season.

And as for City. They've been far from impressive and have been saved by Aguero on a number of occasions, but they've been better then the rest too.

Getsme

Feck off back to the newbies you will ya. The lad is only back from a lengthy injury spell.
    The hatred for Evans on here is crazy, he wasn't even that bad today but you'd think he scored three owngoals and ripped off his United shirt in celebration to reveal a Liverpool top underneath.

Hans Wurst

I actually feel sorry for Southampton. They were better by a margin, smash'n grab at its best.

Will still gladly take the 3 points though :cool:

DevilRed

Much better second half performamce. Still, the 3 points masks what was a shaky performance. Three at the back just not working well. Especially with the likes of Evans back there. So many passes given away. We were lucky not to be punished.

RVPs class once again gives us the victory at st Mary's. We didn't create much but he was clinical. Finally looking like the old rvp with excellent hold up play in the second half.

Important three points and once again we win away from home.

Hydra

Poor game, but we come out the other end with a win.

Van Persie was great with his first touch and holding the ball up, despite whoever it was constantly kicking his heels all game.

I think the referee had a poor game for both sides, lots of decisions wrong for both teams.

The horror tackle on van persie should have produced a red, or whoever it was should have picked up a yellow card earlier in the game.

hbgreg

feck the negativity on these boards, you people are really miserable when it comes to football. We won, third place, great win. Ref was shit at the end, no excuses, we won a very difficult game on the road again and we're in third fecking place. Great game, we won, Southampton should of done more but didn't and we capitalized. Get in.

Red devil20

Its obvious van gaal has no faith in his defenders. We stole 3 points tonight. Would of lost that 3-0 last year. Stats mean nothing. Ask chelsea winning the champions league

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
    I predicted the result. Why does one never put a bet in when the result is so obvious? PS lol at the stats, least attempts in at least 11 years sas sky sports.

Dimistar

Hard game to predict given that we're on a good run of results but hardly put in any convincing away performance bar the Etihad battle. The Arsenal result had more to do with Arsenal than United. On top of that, the Saints will be up for it after losing two in a row, all the more since their defeat at the Emirates was undeserved. I wouldn't be too disappointed with a draw but really want us to make a statement and send a signal to City and Chelsea: we're coming for you! I'm still waiting for Van Persie to win us a game on his own, as I feel he's still able to do it. He'll need much better and more regular service though.

I'm going for a 2-1 win, our favorite result this season.
    Well well well...

Delighted that everything went as planned!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Robin Van Persie image Robin Van Persie 82% of 810 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 552 ratings.

Score Predictions