Kick-off
Sat, 27 August 2022 @ 12:30pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

BootsyCollins

People are going to go against this, and im not a 100% sure myself, but a part of me want McT to start. He did good against pool and we may need his height on set pieces. I am conflicted between this :

——Casemiro—McT—
    Sancho—Bruno—Rashford
    ————Martial—————

and this :

—-Casemiro—Eriksen—
    Sancho—Bruno—Rashford
    ————Ronaldo—————-

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
    Southampton will press us just as much as we try to press them. Will be an interesting battle. Think we can win this quite comfortably if everyone performs to there best. Think Casemiro comes straight in for mctominay and Ronaldo replaces Elanga. Midfield battle will be crucial for this game. Avoid giving them set pieces at all cost as ward prowse is probably the most deadliest set piece taker in the league.
    I thought Casemiro for Fred?

RedMilo

Assuming no new signings, then presumably Casemiro & Martial to come into the 11 for Elanga & McT.

DDG
    Dalot Varane Martinez Malacia
    Casemiro Eriksen
    Bruno
    Sancho Martial Rashford

this makes most sense to me.

Charlie Foley

Southampton will press us just as much as we try to press them. Will be an interesting battle. Think we can win this quite comfortably if everyone performs to there best. Think Casemiro comes straight in for mctominay and Ronaldo replaces Elanga. Midfield battle will be crucial for this game. Avoid giving them set pieces at all cost as ward prowse is probably the most deadliest set piece taker in the league.
    They did not press Leicester a lot. That match was a departure from their tactics in the first two games.

Charlie Foley

Ultimately I think our best team is dependent on what setup Southampton go for. If they do the back 3/high press they used against Tottenham and Leeds we should go for 3 of Elanga/Sancho/Martial/Rashford and counter them as much as we can.
    If they were to go low block back 4 it’s possibly a game for Ronaldo, I think.
    Assuming no new signings, then presumably Casemiro & Martial to come into the 11 for Elanga & McT.

DDG
    Casemiro Eriksen
    Bruno
    Sancho Martial Rashford

This team probably strikes a good balance. I would be fine with that line up.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
    I thought Casemiro for Fred?
    Mctominay played last game though, so I’d stick with same squad and put Casemiro in for mctominay so it will be a double of Casemiro and eriksen with Bruno in front

DJ_21

They did not press Leicester a lot. That match was a departure from their tactics in the first two games.
    I didn’t see there first 2 games but I’m going of what there tactics normally are. Plus they’ll no doubt up there game against us.

Charlie Foley

I didn’t see there first 2 games but I’m going of what there tactics normally are. Plus they’ll no doubt up there game against us.
    They made a switch in play style this preseason and started back 3 in their first 2 games. They were very vulnerable defensively. Against Leicester they changed to a low block, low press 4-3-2-1 with two wingers playing inside as 10s. They would press if Leicester got the ball forward on the flanks but were happy to let them just sit and pass it across the back 4.
    There’s a good athletic article on it actually

DJ_21

They made a switch in play style this preseason and started back 3 in their first 2 games. They were very vulnerable defensively. Against Leicester they changed to a low block, low press 4-3-2-1 with two wingers playing inside as 10s. They would press if Leicester got the ball forward on the flanks but were happy to let them just sit and pass it across the back 4.
    There’s a good athletic article on it actually
    Hopefully there just as vulnerable against us. We’ll tear them apart if they are. Think there best chance of scoring past us will be from a ward prowse free kick or corner into the box.

Charlie Foley

Hopefully there just as vulnerable against us. We’ll tear them apart if they are. Think there best chance of scoring past us will be from a ward prowse free kick or corner into the box.
    Fingers crossed. I think they’re most likely to sit deep as I still think a lot of our forwards are best suited to countering, but Eriksen could be useful for us there, and Martial if on form.
    hopefully Casemiro and no Maguire make us less vulnerable to counters.

We’ll have to be careful on set pieces

Hal9000

Hopefully Liverpool wasn't a false dawn, seen it to many times over the past few seasons... We have one for performance, against a top 4 side then go back to playing dogshite against the likes of Southampton... I've been burnt by this club so many times

Strelok

DDG
    Casemiro Eriksen
    Bruno
    Sancho Martial Rashford

Agree.

We bought Casemiro because apparently he is a world class DM. McT or Fred would seem a bit abundant in the defensive department while they offer basically nothing offensively.

Boondog

People are going to go against this, and im not a 100% sure myself, but a part of me want McT to start. He did good against pool and we may need his height on set pieces. I am conflicted between this :

——Casemiro—McT—
    Sancho—Bruno—Rashford
    ————Martial—————

and this :

—-Casemiro—Eriksen—
    Sancho—Bruno—Rashford
    ————Ronaldo—————-
    I won't be upset if he starts McT. He played his ass off in that Liverpool game. If he brings that I have no issues with him in there.

Casemiro I am sure is hell bent on playing but maybe they let the guy settle in with the team a bit first. In that interview he sounded like he wanted a game right then. So chances are he goes but yeah I'm not worried about that. I'm worried that EtH will pair Fred with him as a starting pair thinking he's going to have possession in this one.

suheilsworld

Keep Ronaldo on the bench till the transfer window is shut. If he is still here, we can think about integrating him. Same XI, except Casemiro for McT and Martial for Elanga

largelyworried

Very few changes needed for this I think. Casemiro of course, if he's ready, and Id start with Martial, since he seems fully fit. Other than that, I'd hope to see the same team for the next three or four games while we get settled into ETHs time, before we start making rotations.

This is the kind of match where a fast and intense start can near win you the game in the first 20 minutes. ETH talked a lot in preseason about intensity and I'd love to see us start to actually go out and blitz teams, rather than wait til we're a goal down at half time like we used to see under Ole. It shouldn't take more than two goals to beat a team like Southampton, if we can force the first one early, we're set for the win.

Olecurls99

This is our opportunity to lay down a marker and make some of the smaller teams worried about playing us again. It's more important than the Liverpool match in that sense, those games should always be a battle. We need to come out fast and aggressive. Show our authority at the start and some class when we're ahead.
    Abso bloody exactly. These games are actually the ones I'm more interested in. There are more of these and these games are the ones we've struggled in all these years.

Olecurls99

This is an interesting one. Does ETH stay with the counter or goes back to building his team?

I think if it's the latter, he is going to pick CR7 and Maguire again and a lot of folks are going to get mad here. If he wants to be on the counter, they're obviously gone.
    Why would picking Maguire and Ronaldo be Ten Hag 'going back to building his team'?

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
    Maguire and Ronaldo cannot start. I do not think it was a coincidence we had our best team performance for over a year with the two dropped. It was Tottenham away last October by the way.

Real Name

Time for a 1st away win in how long?

We must use the good feeling factor after Liverpool game cause if we lose again all the doom and gloom will be back.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
    Yes, and hope he is gone by deadline day.
    That would be perfect.
    Interesting to see if fans will cheer for Ronaldo. There is a lot of negative atmosphere around him (at least on here), which is perfectly understandable, but not sure it this will be visible on a stadium.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
    Think we will take this 3-2

We will concede the inevitable corner and JWP free kick.

Martial, Sancho and Fernandes on the score sheets for us.

Lyng

The team pretty much picks itself.

De Gea
    Dalot - Varane - Martinez - Malacia
    Eriksen - Casemiro
    Bruno
    Sancho - Tony - Rashford​

Olecurls99

Not sure I understand. Varane is no worse on the ball than Maguire really but I can sort of see that argument. Ronaldo is the definition of counter attacking player these days. He can’t hold the ball up in any form and thrives on one off chances. If ten hag is looking to dominate the ball then Martial is a much more logical choice.
    Varane is much better on the ball. He actually has a left foot

Wilt

Time for a 1st away win in how long?

We must use the good feeling factor after Liverpool game cause if we lose again all the doom and gloom will be back.
    I believe Utd have lost their last 7 away games, conceding 21 goals

Desperately need a win

allen7

Would like to see some ETH style football with more possession and pressing. Casemiro and Martial crucial for this game but doubt Casemiro will feature in starting 11.

captaincantona

If Martial starts…I’m going all in…I always bought in to what Ole was trying to when he was initially chasing Sancho…with Rashford/Martial/Sancho/Greenwood…you could sense there would be chemistry and in the little we have seen on it so far Sancho/Rashford/Martial is going to work very well indeed.

If we start with those 3 and the same back line as against Liverpool…I’m going 4-0 plus to Utd.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 369 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw