Southgate considering Greenwood for Nations League ties against Iceland and Denmark [Ornstein for the Athletic]

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
We had this too soon notion by Norways national team coach regarding Ødegaard as well. He just refused to play him despite Ødegaard being miles better than any option we had, prefering to match him at the U21's instead "to nurture his development".

The national team is the national team, if you're good enough you play, regardless of age. It's not a development team.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Last squad had CHO and Callum Wilson in it. Take them out and replace with DCL and Greenwood. Easy.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I don't understand why Southgate would be 'considering it'?
The guy is one of the most in form strikers right now, it's a no brainer that needs no consideration.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Aside from just Greenwood, this is the first time in ages that I can think of an England squad where you would feel sorry for someone for missing out rather than the days of when we struggled to find players which led to people like Rickie Lambert being called up.

CB and CM have overtaken the forward options in that sense.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I'd have thought him and Foden are certs to be called up... and justifiably so.

Saka too.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I don't understand why Southgate would be 'considering it'?
The guy is one of the most in form strikers right now, it's a no brainer that needs no consideration.
Might be better for the player to not have lots of extra games, travelling, training and hype.

I bet Ole wound't want him called up.

He certainly deserves it on merit of course but Southgate might take a longer term view.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
He's ready for a call up.

This isn't like Rooney coming through when there is a massive void in quality/options up top. England have some of the best attacking options currently in the game. He would gain great experience, and any minutes would be a plus. Rashford benefitted from being brought into the England fold at a similar age, I think the same would be the case with Greenwood.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Aside from just Greenwood, this is the first time in ages that I can think of an England squad where you would feel sorry for someone for missing out rather than the days of when we struggled to find players which led to people like Rickie Lambert being called up.

CB and CM have overtaken the forward options in that sense.
Also, I genuinely like everyone in the England team... even the Liverpool players. It's weird.

Bwuk

Wonder if England will change formation. A lot of attackers, but not many midfielders near the same level.

If I was to pick the squad I'd probably look for;

Henderson
TAA - Maguire - Gomez - Chilwell
Henderson - Rice
Sterling - Sancho - Rashford
Kane​

With Foden, Greenwood etc on the bench.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Wonder if England will change formation. A lot of attackers, but not many midfielders near the same level.

Henderson
Henderson - Rice
Kane​

Henderson and Rice looks desperate from a footballing point of view but there’s not many if any other options with defensive or positioning capabilities. Maybe a midfield 3
Involving any of Rice Henderson Foden Maddison Grealish

Robbie Boy

Considering? Probably the best 18 year old in world football so I would have thought it's absolutely nailed on that he'll be called up.

norm87cro

I'd be very pleased for him but maybe, just maybe its a little to soon. England has a lot of firepower in the front three. Sterling, Sancho and Rashford all being competition. Kane is first 11 no matter what just because he offers superior build up and positioning that the mentioned 3 (and Greenwood) lack.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Henderson and Rice looks desperate from a footballing point of view but there’s not many if any other options with defensive or positioning capabilities. Maybe a midfield 3
Involving any of Rice Henderson Foden Maddison Grealish
I think Hendo is decent as your box to box midfielder... he's starting every game for the best team in the land so he's probably doing something right. I actually prefer Winks to Rice, but he's doing bugger all at the moment

Annihilate Now!

Scout

Henderson
Henderson - Rice
Kane​

Against weaker teams (which makes up 90% of England's opponents) I see no reason why that front 4 can't be played... Maybe with Sterling in the Number 10 instead as he's pretty good at the pressing/harrying schtick.

Baneofthegame

Henderson
Henderson - Rice
Kane​

Swap Sancho and Sterling and we are good to go.

Not sure Alli gets back into the team when everyone is fully fit either.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Henderson
Henderson - Rice
Kane​

Dunk for Gomez, start Foden instead of Rashford and then its probably one of the best line ups England ever had.

plenty of bench options in Greenwood, Grealish, Maddison ,Rashy.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I don't think it's too early for Greenwood, he's featured a fair bit in the season now in the first team for the biggest club in England. He certainly earns a place ahead of some others in the national set up.

I want to see Ings involved more to, preferably ahead of Kane as he's really earned it.

bsCallout

Easily good enough. I'd like him to not have to worry about internationals at the moment, but if he's going to waste his time with U21's anyway, he might as well play at his level; the full team.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Henderson
Henderson - Rice
Kane​

think it'll be a 4-3-3 with either Winks or Barkley instead of 1 of the forwards.

Think the wide players will be rotated a bit during the actual tournament, but yes we could do 4-2-3-1 against the lesser teams. Not sure Henderson/Rice will be progressive enough though as a pair.

kkengvib

I'm happy for him to be called up. It's probably good that he's got seasoned internationals in front of him so he doesn't have to bear all the pressure from the get go. The experience in just training with the team and getting minutes off the bench should do well for his development I think.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Dunk for Gomez, start Foden instead of Rashford and then its probably one of the best line ups England ever had.

plenty of bench options in Greenwood, Grealish, Maddison ,Rashy.
The goalie and defence have an awful lot of question marks over them in my eyes. I'd say only TAA is genuinely top class out of that 5.

Probably not far off the best we can muster though.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I would have taken him to the Euros this summer as a super-sub. Even in a strong area of the pitch for England, his ability to go off either foot makes him unique.

0le

No. Let the lad develop and let United control how many games he plays at this young age. Give it another year and then call him up. England already have enough talent in the forward line so they can afford to wait for Mason to develop a bit more.

paulscholes18

He’s forced himself into the United’s starting XI, currently the only English wide-man better than him are Rashford, Sancho & Sterling, so yes he should be getting a call up also he’s equally good in all front 3 positions

Patchbeard

Soon I think Rashy will unfortunately be no.5 in the pecking order for England behind Kane, Sterling, Sancho & Greenwood. Not a slight on him I just think the others are all currently better/potentially better.

Walters_19_MuFc

CHO had a couple of good games and was in the squad straight away. Based on form, there's no question, in my opinion.

Greenwood, Sterling, Rashford and Sancho as our wing options.

Judas

Open to offers
Soon I think Rashy will unfortunately be no.5 in the pecking order for England behind Kane, Sterling, Sancho & Greenwood. Not a slight on him I just think the others are all currently better/potentially better.
Kane is comfortably performing the worst of that lot at the moment, even if he is playing in a very underwhelming team.