Spain Euro 2021 - Discussion Thread

Giggs' right foot

Not even pissing about - a 39-year old David Villa who's been retired for a year and a half would improve that Spanish attack. God, it's mediocre.

Oranges038

So so boring to watch. It's almost like they want to bore the opposition to death.

A bit like Firminho all teeth and no bite.

PoTMS

They'll shithouse their way into second place and then batter Gareth Southgate's "it's better to finish second" England in the knockout stages.

izec

They'll shithouse their way into second place and then batter Gareth Southgate's "it's better to finish second" England in the knockout stages.
If England can't beat them, they have no business being in the quarter final. Both teams wont go far IMO

Siezard

If England can't beat them, they have no business being in the quarter final. Both teams wont go far IMO
England won't face them unless they reach the quarter final.

bucky

I understand why Enrique is playing Llorente at RB given his options in midfield and RB, but considering the season he has had, he should be playing in midfield. I also think that Fabian should be playing instead of Pedri, despite the latter being a good player.

DelPotro

They could have brought Navas as RB and also Aspas who played well this season. Instead they put Llorente who is a goal threat as RB and only chose 24 instead of 26 players as well as dross like Traore, Sarabia and Morata.

Lee565

Said it after the sweden game, Spain could very easily be a surprise elimination from the group stage, they can't beat Sweden or Poland so I don't see why they will be able to beat Slovakia either and the fact that Slovakia only need a draw makes it that extra bit tougher for spain.

Think they missed a trick in not taking Ramos, I just think his character, leadership and threat from corners would have likely edged them a win in one of the first two games.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Spain look bereft of ideas. Pass, pass, pass and no shooting.
Also, has anyone here heard Enrique’s opinion on why he only took 24 players?
It made little sense when it was announced weeks ago and makes even less sense now.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
When you look at their lineup, I can't recall a less impressive Spain side since, well since I started watching football in the 80s. They will be destroyed by the first proper side they meet if they make it far enough to meet one.

Why is Thiago not playing? He's basically their best player.

Bestietom

Pedri at 17 and Gilmour at 20 shows that age don't matter if your good enough....
Mejbri and Garner are good enough to play for us now...

RoyH1

I hope Luis Enrique's mind boggling stubbornness costs him his job. While Spain's squad is much weaker than that of previous vintages how can he not play someone like Traore and keep Thiago on the bench? Ridiculous man.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
As far as I know Spain have created about 6 xG worth of chances. Would the criticism on Enrique be the same if their players had finished even half of them?

RoyH1

As far as I know Spain have created about 6 xG worth of chances. Would the criticism on Enrique be the same if their players had finished even half of them?
Yes. He picks the players that don't finish them again and again.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Said it after the sweden game, Spain could very easily be a surprise elimination from the group stage, they can't beat Sweden or Poland so I don't see why they will be able to beat Slovakia either and the fact that Slovakia only need a draw makes it that extra bit tougher for spain.

Think they missed a trick in not taking Ramos, I just think his character, leadership and threat from corners would have likely edged them a win in one of the first two games.
Reminds me of Argentina in 2002. Pass, pass, pass but couldn't break teams down. And picked off at set-pieces or on the break by stodgy north European sides.

FCBarcelona

Supports
FC Barcelona
Decent chances but Spain miserably fails them. If you stop the game right before each shot and then you are asked how many goals you think they scored, you would probably say 2-3 against Sweden and 3-4 against Poland... but the last touch has been abysmal... and this is not new, it's been the same for a few months at least.

Quality of the game is miles away when compared to a decade ago, but that is expected if you take a look to the quality of the players.

Spain is a decent team, good players but no top class players. They can win anybody. They can lose against anyone too.

I want to see Gerard Moreno as the striker, Oyarzabal in the wing, Llorente in the midfield and Azpilicueta in the right back.

their goal was offside too- should be out already
It was offside if you are blind.

wattsy7

Playing really well but another game of numerous chances missed.

Dubravka has just gave them a helping hand though :lol:

ti vu

Spain has no one to implement the famous false 9 tactic like how they did with Fabregas, Iniesta, David Silva now? At this point, Morata is done for this tournament.

criticalanalysis

Spain has no one to implement the famous false 9 tactic like how they did with Fabregas, Iniesta, David Silva now? At this point, Morata is done for this tournament.
Morata is playing the false 9 role a bit too literally.

kidbob

I think they might actually do very well when they now start to face teams that attack them. I think they can shock a few people.

RoyH1

Do not, ever, discount a football managers stubbornness, specially when it's someone like Luis Enrique. I would not be surprised at all if Morata starts against Croatia.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Funny to see how much Spain care about the opinion of Rafael van der Vaart.

FCBarcelona

Supports
FC Barcelona
Luis Enrique is too stubborn to change his mind... so I don't think it will be Morata + 10... I would be surprised and happy if he did make the change.

Funny to see how much Spain care about the opinion of Rafael van der Vaart.
I think you can say the same without falling in the insult, but you know... I can be mistaken.

And well, it might hurt that the most famous picture of yourself is just failing to stop a goal in a WC final... such an iconic picture!
I guess he is still annoyed 10 years later....

I know it's petty, but seeing Spain fail fills me with tremendous joy.

And so does Iniesta going bald before me. Ha, who's the world champion now twat!
and guess what... vdv is not the only one... :lol:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Luis Enrique is too stubborn to change his mind... so I don't think it will be Morata + 10... I would be surprised and happy if he did make the change.

I think you can say the same without falling in the insult, but you know... I can be mistaken.

And well, it might hurt that the most famous picture of yourself is just failing to stop a goal in a WC final... such an iconic picture!
I guess he is still annoyed 10 years later....

and guess what... vdv is not the only one... :lol:
Van der Vaart just said he thought you were awful in that 2nd match which you were. He's half Spanish so he was disappointed, not dissing you lot, but I guess our players arent the only ones who can't handle a bit of critique. Hardly necesarry to, instead of celebrating a goal, the commentator instead says, ha look at that Vd Vaart. Especially since you won the wc final in 2010. We should be petty, not you. Though maybe the 2014 thrashing is a bit sore?

And Im not above admitting that I am petty, mind you. No offense intended, just banter innit :wenger:

The most famous picture of that final doesnt involve Vd Vaart though, surely it's Xabi's dive after that perfectly fine challenge by Nigel de Jong!

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Spain *cannot* drop Morata though. He's the only vertical threat they have, without him teams will just sit in front of them and they'll never get the space to create anything

Gonçalo Motta

Going from Raul, Fernando Torres, David Villa and Diego Costa to Morata.
Morata is so average that makes the donkey version of Fernando Torres look good.

That must hurt.

firstkuyttouch

Van der Vaart just said he thought you were awful in that 2nd match which you were. He's half Spanish so he was disappointed, not dissing you lot, but I guess our players arent the only ones who can't handle a bit of critique. Hardly necesarry to, instead of celebrating a goal, the commentator instead says, ha look at that Vd Vaart. Especially since you won the wc final in 2010. We should be petty, not you. Though maybe the 2014 thrashing is a bit sore?

And Im not above admitting that I am petty, mind you. No offense intended, just banter innit :wenger:

The most famous picture of that final doesnt involve Vd Vaart though, surely it's Xabi's dive after that perfectly fine challenge by Nigel de Jong!
the last line of this made me laugh, and WHAT a fine username to boot

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Morata is so average that makes the donkey version of Fernando Torres look good.

That must hurt.
They have Moreno…

FCBarcelona

Supports
FC Barcelona

That must hurt.
Well, Spain was never known due to its great strikers... anyway is a clear low.
Even in the 90s we had Morientes, Kiko... that were much better in my opinion (at least the first too).
Moreno has had a few great years but he wasn't playing for a superteam so he went kind of under the radar. Press (if you can trust 1% of it) has linked Moreno with Atletico.

The wording was the offensive part, many people thought the same around the world and nothing happened. anyway in the first 2 matches there were a lot of clear chances but they didn't go through.

Being half Spaniard makes it even worse... he is even more annoyed because he could have chosen to be in the winner side... haha

I said most famous picture of VDV, not the final... he was not in the picture of the super clean tackle from De Jong that you are talking about. I would post the pictures but i'm a baby born here and i cannot post those amazing pictures that deserve to be remembered for the centuries to come :lol:

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
They should go through. Unless that fecker Kovacic finally puts something worth remembering in the big tournament and relieves the pressure from Modric.

Pentagruel

I think people are underrating Spain because they once again don’t have that incisive quality about them at times. The fact is, they dominate their games even if they didn’t win them all, and it only takes a slight nudge in their favor to see all those half chances turn into big chances and they pour a hatful against you like against Slovakia.

Yeah, their style is safe and sometimes boring, and it has been since their golden generation, but it is damn effective.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Well, Spain was never known due to its great strikers... anyway is a clear low.
Even in the 90s we had Morientes, Kiko... that were much better in my opinion (at least the first too).
Moreno has had a few great years but he wasn't playing for a superteam so he went kind of under the radar. Press (if you can trust 1% of it) has linked Moreno with Atletico.

The wording was the offensive part, many people thought the same around the world and nothing happened. anyway in the first 2 matches there were a lot of clear chances but they didn't go through.

Being half Spaniard makes it even worse... he is even more annoyed because he could have chosen to be in the winner side... haha

I said most famous picture of VDV, not the final... he was not in the picture of the super clean tackle from De Jong that you are talking about. I would post the pictures but i'm a baby born here and i cannot post those amazing pictures that deserve to be remembered for the centuries to come :lol:
This made me curious, is it the picture with the sliding amd Iniesta shooting? I had actuay never seen it before (or just blocked it out). The one that comes to my mind is Robben coering his face after missing that chance.

God, it still hurts :(

FCBarcelona

Supports
FC Barcelona
This made me curious, is it the picture with the sliding amd Iniesta shooting? I had actuay never seen it before (or just blocked it out). The one that comes to my mind is Robben coering his face after missing that chance.

God, it still hurts :(
Exactly, vdv is the one sliding when Iniesta scored.
That's why Koke mentioned it, that he sees vdv a lot because the Spanish Football Federation has it in one of the walls. Press just asked everyone they could (you know it means clicks) and players in general didn't say anything weird, just asking for respect for the team and that it motivated them (typical and expected responses for the most part).

Robben's miss against Casillas is iconic too. Those are probably the 3 most remembered moments of the final. De Jong kungfu play, Robben vs Casillas and Iniesta's goal.
I only enjoyed like the last 3 minutes of the final to be fair... i'm glad i was young back then and my heart kept it up.

Good luck on your tie, I would like a Netherlands-England/Germany semifinal on your side.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
At the moment I am quite happy with what I have seen. I'm glad they continue the possession style.
For the next game I would not touch almost anything. Maybe Ferrán/Olmo instead of Moreno, who I noticed a lot of mistakes in control (the players say it's the grass).
Busquets played a good game, Pedri was more daring and Koke is running a lot. He finished the season very well. Fabián / Thiago could start but in a knockout match I'm a little scared to touch what seems acceptable.