Spain Euro 2021 - Discussion Thread

FCBarcelona

Supports
FC Barcelona
Well... this is the end.

Same old story with this team... we dominate and outplay the opponent, create enough chances to win but we just lack of finishing.
I hope Ansu Fati finally recovers for the WC because he is exactly what we missed in this tournament.

We reached semifinals and lost in the penalties being always the better side with strong xG (best of the tournament).
Good experience for this young team but it is frustrating to go when you were better. That's football.

Better result than the expected by the haters.

Bye Spain

That's all
You are such a loser haha. pathetic.

jesperjaap

Despite all the goals they scored in a couple of games, I have to say for the majority of the competition I foudn them the most boring side to watch. Effective and hard to beat but all so slow. I really didnt think they deserved to be in the final.

But credit to them tonight, neither side deserved to lose but they were the better side and dealt fantastically with Italy and there pressing for the frist half wearing them down. Cracking game and a gret performance from Spain, they were unlucky and can leave with there heads held high after that game

AshRK

They have found the next core. Ferran Torres, Olmo, Pedri, Ansu Fati to name some are going to help them do well in coming tournaments. Feel next wc may be too soon for these kids but maybe euro 2024 could be their time.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
They have found the next core. Ferran Torres, Olmo, Pedri, Ansu Fati to name some are going to help them do well in coming tournaments. Feel next wc may be too soon for these kids but maybe euro 2024 could be their time.
They really need a striker though. Or hope Luis Enrique sticks around. Another manager likely won't have them play so well so without a true striker they might not get away with it like this Euro.

Roux

What Pedri has done at 18yo in this tournament has been nothing short of incredible. What a player!

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah Pedri is ridiculous. Can play with anyone in whatever configuration and do whatever his team needs from him at a ridiculously high level

He's the supernova version of Mason Mount :lol:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
They've had a good tournament all in all. The midfield and (most of) the defence did really well. Ultimately the lack of cutting edge means they were always going to be vulnerable to going out on penalties.

If you take a look to the historical classification of the tournaments (WC and EC) Spain and France have a very similar performance.

Besides...
- Spain was robbed in QFs in Italy in 1934 under Mussolini regime. Spain literally scored a goal in an individual play that was overturned with an offside. That tournament was total political bs.
- In 1994 we were not eliminated by Ireland, we were eliminated in QFs vs Italy with a scandal (Tassoti broke Luis Enrique's nose in the area and in the counter attack Roberto Baggio scored 2-1... minute 90)
- We were also blatantly robbed again in QFs in Korea (2002), 2 legal goals were turned down and hundred of fouls had a bad ref (Italy was robbed in the the previous round). Probably the biggest scandal in the World Cup history (Spain + Italy games), because it was already in this century... not 50 years ago without TV, politics hovering around, etc.

So it is not like Spain didn't perform because we didn't play football, we were "unlucky" (well... robbed) when we had the opportunity. Who knows if we had played a final or even won a title one of those times.
True. Could also say the same about the Euro '96 quarter final that ended 0-0 - despite Spain having two goals wrongly chalked off for offside.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
For the next tournament I think they need new full-backs and a replacement for Busquets or at least to learn to live without him.
He should decide at once between Eric García or Pau. I would stay with Eric. I understand that there will be a difficult situation with Ramos if he intends to continue in the national team.
The team could be completed with the U21. We will see who stands out in the games.
In the attack Olmo and Ferrán seem players for many years and Luis Enrique has been quite brave giving them minutes without being very proven players.
Despite the mistakes when scoring a goal, there have been times when the mistakes seemed excessive, too flagrant, as if they were a caricature and it was taken for granted that they only can score one in 20.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
For the next tournament I think they need new full-backs and a replacement for Busquets or at least to learn to live without him.
He should decide at once between Eric García or Pau. I would stay with Eric. I understand that there will be a difficult situation with Ramos if he intends to continue in the national team.
The team could be completed with the U21. We will see who stands out in the games.
In the attack Olmo and Ferrán seem players for many years and Luis Enrique has been quite brave giving them minutes without being very proven players.
Despite the mistakes when scoring a goal, there have been times when the mistakes seemed excessive, too flagrant, as if they were a caricature and it was taken for granted that they only can score one in 20.
Yeah, it's only a year away though. The team looks good for the World Cup, I don't think Busquets and Alba need to be phased out yet. Just players who can operate as back ups in the meantime and step up when required (eg like Rodri last night). The major issue is a confident finisher up top.

Having the two options of Garcia and Pau has worked well as you could see how seamless they have been able to replace one another. What Italy and England have shown is the value of a deep squad, particularly in the era of multiple substitutes and, winter or not, the energy-sapping conditions anticipated for Qatar.

KeanoMagicHat

Rodri seems ready to go. They also have a few full-backs in reserve, Reguilon for example.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah, it's only a year away though. The team looks good for the World Cup, I don't think Busquets and Alba need to be phased out yet. Just players who can operate as back ups in the meantime and step up when required (eg like Rodri last night). The major issue is a confident finisher up top.

Having the two options of Garcia and Pau has worked well as you could see how seamless they have been able to replace one another. What Italy and England have shown is the value of a deep squad, particularly in the era of multiple substitutes and, winter or not, the energy-sapping conditions anticipated for Qatar.
You are right that Pau and Eric have entered and left the starting eleven well but in the long run it gives me the feeling (as with the goalkeepers) that the players should feel like starters, although not necessarily with the obviousness of Ramos-Piqué or Piqué-Puyol .
Today the only player who could fill the gap in attack is Ansu Fati
Rodri seems ready to go. They also have a few full-backs in reserve, Reguilon for example.
I still see him very far from Busquets, or at least with Spain I don't feel he is ready to keep the team.
Actually last year I wanted to retire Busquets and give more confidence to Rodri