Speed

Cina

Bullshit last year and bullshit this year. No way are Vardy and others faster than Bellerin. He's absurdly quick.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Yeah I'm not doing the slideshow. Could someone copy paste it on here?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
35.44km/h - Jamie Vardy (Leicester City)
35.26km/h - Jeff Schlupp (Leicester City)
35.15km/h - Divock Origi (Liverpool)
35.09km/h - Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur)
35.07km/h - Billy Jones (Sunderland)
35.06km/h - Jesus Navas (Manchester City)
35km/h - Victor Moses (West Ham United), Marc Albrighton (Leicester City)
34.99km/h - Josh King (Bournemouth)
34.97km/h - Mame Diouf (Stoke City), Ritchie De Laet (Leicester City), Cameron Jerome (Norwich City)
34.89km/h - Carl Jenkinson (West Ham United)
34.88km/h - Alberto Moreno (Liverpool)
34.86km/h - Charlie Daniels (Bournemouth)
34.76km/h - Wes Morgan (Leicester City)
34.74km/h - Cedric Soares (Southampton), Hector Bellerin (Arsenal)
34.68km/h - Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Moussa Sissoko (Newcastle United)

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Would be nice if they just got every player to do 40m and 100m times and posted.

Raw

Says more about the styles of play of each team rather than certain players. I'm sure United have quite a few rapid players who could break that top 20, but our style of football doesn't utilise pacey players.

Leicester on the other hand have a very quick style, shown by the amount of Leicester players in the list.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
It shows how most football journalists dont know shit from clay. Out and out speed simply isnt as important as many think in football. Speed off the mark, change in speed, speed of footwork, speed in changing direction and speed of thought are all more important than outright speed.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
35.44km/h - Jamie Vardy (Leicester City)
35.26km/h - Jeff Schlupp (Leicester City)
35.15km/h - Divock Origi (Liverpool)
35.09km/h - Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur)
35.07km/h - Billy Jones (Sunderland)
35.06km/h - Jesus Navas (Manchester City)
35km/h - Victor Moses (West Ham United), Marc Albrighton (Leicester City)
34.99km/h - Josh King (Bournemouth)
34.97km/h - Mame Diouf (Stoke City), Ritchie De Laet (Leicester City), Cameron Jerome (Norwich City)
34.89km/h - Carl Jenkinson (West Ham United)
34.88km/h - Alberto Moreno (Liverpool)
34.86km/h - Charlie Daniels (Bournemouth)
34.76km/h - Wes Morgan (Leicester City)
34.74km/h - Cedric Soares (Southampton), Hector Bellerin (Arsenal)
34.68km/h - Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Moussa Sissoko (Newcastle United)
Most of those names seem reasonable, but Wes Morgan? Really? Cameron Jerome?

RedStarUnited

Says more about the styles of play of each team rather than certain players. I'm sure United have quite a few rapid players who could break that top 20, but our style of football doesn't utilise pacey players.

Leicester on the other hand have a very quick style, shown by the amount of Leicester players in the list.
This!

A counter attacking team will showcase its speed more than a possession based team.

A relay team of Shaw, Velencia, Martial and a Lingard/Young will probably match any other PL quartet.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
This!

A counter attacking team will showcase its speed more than a possession based team.

A relay team of Shaw, Velencia, Martial and a Lingard/Young will probably match any other PL quartet.
Except Walcott, Bellerin, Welbeck, Gibbs/Oxlade-Chamberlain probably.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Acceleration is a far more important quality than speed in football. I don't give any credence to these top speed stats.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Would be nice if they just got every player to do 40m and 100m times and posted.
Aye, Shoot or Match magazine used to go around all the UK clubs timing their players to try and find the fastest player over 100m. They also did the most powerful shot and longest throw-in.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
In order to hit top speed, I reckon you'd need to sprint at least 30-40m as fast as you can, in a straight line. Any player who hasn't done that this season won't make the cut. And it probably happens less than you'd think.
This.

It measures absolute top speed, which usually occurs during counter attacks over the length of the pitch both defensively and offensively, can't think of another situation where you'd sprint flat out and reach top speed in football.

Which is why Rooney's usually somewhere in these ratings, and also why he looks so awfully slow during games - he's got no acceleration or change of speed but can reach a high top speed.

Also, as someone mentioned, Leicester's game is built around attacking at speed, not possession - they play straight through teams with direct football, which means players have to sprint often.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
1. I'm disappointed this thread isn't about the 90's action classic film staring Keanu Reaves, Sandra Bullock and Dennis Hopper.
2. These speed stats are always coming out... I'm not really sure what they show (other then a list of players that are quick)... to prove who's the fastest player in the league, you'd need to organise some sort of actual sprint.
3. It would make sense that no United players are in there... we generally move the ball, not our players (and not with any great speed either). Though if it took in CL, I reckon Shaw would be in there... that sprint he did at home to Wolfsburg was mental.
4. What would you do if there was a bomb on a bus?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
In order to hit top speed, I reckon you'd need to sprint at least 30-40m as fast as you can, in a straight line. Any player who hasn't done that this season won't make the cut. And it probably happens less than you'd think.
Your typical 100m sprinter will take 40-50m to get up to full speed, then it's just about holding that and slowing down the least.

But these stats are mostly meaningless. The actual speeds aren't that impressive as top speeds.

Brightonian

These stats are always total crap. The only way for them to measure it is to find instances of highest speed during games, with no regard for context etc. Players rarely run far enough in a straight line to hit top speeds, and not every run is going to be measured, etc etc. Plus the combination of other qualities with pace is much more important than exactly how fast a fast player is. Shaw, for example, probably isn't one of the very fastest guys in the PL, but he runs with a power that makes his pace far more useful than that of, say, Erik Lamela.

We do lack pace to a degree, but it's to do with the right sort of fast players in the right positions to execute our strategy, not 'how many United players are in the fastest players stats?' We have some fast players; Smalling must be one of the league's fastest CBs, Martial is fast, Shaw is pacy. Meanwhile, the fact that Memphis isn't particularly fast and Mata downright sluggish is causing us problems at times.

This is one of those where the evidence of your eyes is much more useful than stats.

Skills

Snitch
Every Premier League player should have their 40m timed and bench 60kg for reps. Just so we know who really is the quickest and strongest.

Green_Red

This thread is like a fecking mythbusters challenge!

Who's gonna back up what they're saying with some cold hard science?

Red Stone

This. It's also the reason a lot of centre backs end up on lists like these, because they go up to the opposition box at times and might have to sprint back if they get hit on the counter. The combination of a desperate sprint across the length of the pitch and not having to worry about controlling a football will give you oddly high readings. I think Younes Kaboul was measured to be the quickest Spurs player at some point when Bale was still with them. I'd put a tenner on Bale rinsing Kaboul in a 100m sprint. Jagielka has also posted high numbers.

lysglimt

Scout
this means so little - I remember back in the 90s, with a flying start Gary Pallister was our fastest player. But in terms of acceleration - someone like Kanchelskis completely destroyed everyone in our team.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
It just says Leicester play in a way that means players need to run fast. Not really a surprise. It probably also means that most PL players are really very fast but only occasionally hit top speed in matches.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
This was not what I thought this thread was going to be.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Albrighton topping Josh King? I simply don't believe it. Either that or WADA are gonna have to start sharpening their hypodermics at Leicester.