Sporting renames their academy name to honor Cristiano

RedDevil@84

How is it small time? Cristiano is one of the best ever Sporting product. Maybe Figo comes a second.
Unless you think naming is only for players who have spent all the time at the said club.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It was a deliberate attempt from my side to include Giggsy and ignored Best or Charlton because big clubs would have big players always. We just cannot keep doing that all the time.
What chance are there that Sporting will produce another player that's going to end up one of the all-time top-10 (probably in the top half, but I don't want to start a meaningless debate)? They had a fantastic history and yet they've only produced two players that really made the mark on the world football – and with all my love for Figo, he was never in consideration for being the best player of all-time (or even a penultimate player of his generation, that would be Ronaldo followed by Zidane). Let me answer my own hypothetical – those chances are close to zero.

And even if they somehow manage to produce another player of Cristiano's caliber, it still won't be embarrassing for them to have an academy named after Ronaldo. Especially since that young prodigy will, in all likeliness, grow up to be a massive Cristino fanboy.

Again, I doubt that United fans would be against honouring Charlton by renaming Carrington* after him. I, personally, would be very happy if something like this ever happened. Charlton has more connections to United than Cristiano has to Sporting, but, again, while Sporting is a big club, they're quite obviously a tad smaller compared to United.
*Trafford Training centre is the official name apparently, I never even knew that! Some fan I am.

Bellingham's thing was embarrassing. This is not.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What chance are there that Sporting will produce another player that's going to end up one of the all-time top-10 (probably in the top half, but I don't want to start a meaningless debate)? They had a fantastic history and yet they've only produced two players that really made the mark on the world football – and with all my love for Figo, he was never in consideration for being the best player of all-time (or even a penultimate player of his generation, that would be Ronaldo followed by Zidane). Let me answer my own hypothetical – those chances are close to zero.

And even if they somehow manage to produce another player of Cristiano's caliber, it still won't be embarrassing for them to have an academy named after Ronaldo. Especially since that young prodigy will, in all likeliness, grow up to be a massive Cristino fanboy.

Again, I doubt that United fans would be against honouring Charlton by renaming Carrington* after him. I, personally, would be very happy if something like this ever happened. Charlton has more connections to United than Cristiano has to Sporting, but, again, while Sporting is a big club, they're quite obviously a tad smaller compared to United.
*Trafford Training centre is the official name apparently, I never even knew that! Some fan I am.

On a side note, I don't think that the club celebrates Sir Bobby Charlton's career enough, the man is a true club legend on and off the pitch and people casually put him in a category with the likes of Ronaldo or Rooney who were great players but aren't SBC.

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

I would love it if the training ground was renamed in Sir Bobby's honour.

Chipper

Adulterer.
I do agree with those who said him not playing much for them takes a little bit away from it. Not much, and nowhere near enough to make me think is a bad idea but ideally you'd want to name the academy after a graduate who became a club legend with hundreds and hundreds of games for the team. That's mostly what you're hoping the players in your academy go on to do.

Mind you, that's more difficult now that it once was. Time was when clubs like Sporting would have been able to hold on to more of their better academy graduates when the game was less globalised and when there wasn't as much financial inequality between larger population countries with huge tv deals and smaller population countries without them. We're at a point (and were when Ronaldo cam through too) that means it's more likely that it's only second or even third tier talents that will go on to play hundreds of games for them after coming through the ranks. Players with much less talent than Ronaldo are going to be snapped up too from Portuguese, Dutch teams etc.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
On a side note, I don't think that the club celebrates Sir Bobby Charlton's enough, the man is a true club legend on and off the pitch and people casually put him in a category with the likes of Ronaldo or Rooney who were great players but aren't SBC.
Yeah. Talent-wise he's behind only Best and Ronaldo (and possibly Edwards, but who knows), but he had spent 20 years with us, beat our appearance and goalscoring records (as a midfielder)... basically a mix between Giggs & Ronaldo in terms of his influence, performance levels and overall contribution. And somehow there's not a clear-cut opinion on who is our greatest (not best) ever player in the fanbase!

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I've got the impression the idolization of Cristiano by Sporting and it's fans is a bit over the top. Sure, he's most likely the best footballer they'll ever produce but naming your academy after a man who played less than 1400 minutes of professional football for your club.. I don't know, such honors are usually reserved for players who devoted larger parts of their career to the club.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Yeah, atleast to me.

Would like to know what Sporting fans think @SportingCP96 @Peyroteo
Couldn't think of a more fitting name for it, he represents everything the academy stands for. It's true we had plenty of talented players coming out of the academy, most of those fecked the club over at some point though and are heavily disliked. If they called the Luis Figo academy, now that would be heavily controversial.

Plus, if we show Ronaldo some love it increases the chances of him coming home in a few years :)

Red_toad

The fact he barely played for them takes a bit of shine off it though.
Its the academy, not the stadium. He joined the academy aged 12, so pretty sure he played a lot for the academy. He’s a Portuguese legend and they’re proud to have been a vital part of his development.. So good on em, world needs a lot fewer people who just like to moan about crap that doesn't affect them.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
If I ran an academy that had produced someone like Ronaldo, not only would I rename the Academy after him, I would most likely rename my children and indeed myself after him as well.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
If I ran an academy that had produced someone like Ronaldo, not only would I rename the Academy after him, I would most likely rename my children and indeed myself after him as well.
Wouldn't that cause confusion at the dinner table?

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
I've got the impression the idolization of Cristiano by Sporting and it's fans is a bit over the top.
Sporting fans are portuguese, he's idolized by Sporting fans similarly to the way that these days he's idolized by loads of Benfica, Porto or Braga fans even if he never played for their clubs. He's not idolized for what he did at club level for us which was next to nothing, although there's obviously a lot of pride in seeing a player have this sort of career after being produced at your club. Same way it happened at a smaller scale with Nani for example or with Rui Costa or now Felix at Benfica, fans understand that the great players will leave and want them to do well after they do.

Last edited:

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
Wouldn't that cause confusion at the dinner table?
Possibly, but it's all in the pronounciation. I have the same actual name as my dad for example. :lol: :lol:

RUCK4444

Fitting gesture, if you want players in an academy to look up to any player in recent history when it comes to dedication and determination then there is no better example.

fergosaurus

Don't get the small time comments especially as he came through their academy and he's the greatest academy graduate they'll have in our lifetimes. It's about as small time as us naming a stand after SAF. Fair play to them.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Fitting in my eyes.

Players aspire to be him and he came through our academy.

Especially when you look at Portugal and the national team the greatest players have come from our academy, just look at the euro 2016 winning squad and how many came from Sporting.

There is Nothing “small time” about it we are a huge club known for our famed academy and there is no shame in immortalizing our greatest ever graduate.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
So, when are we naming ours the Darren Fletcher school of magic

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Didn't know about the Real and Barca part, thank you.
My point is - you being a big club would have lot of great players coming through your academy. I just dont like the idea of a big club with a history as big as Sporting, tied up to one player.
I appreciate the respect you have for Sporting despite them not having won a title in so long.

With that being said it’s one of those things where a player of Ronaldo’s caliber was never going to be able to play more then a season at the club but that does not mean he should not be celebrated. The Sporting. Brand itself has grown because of his accomplishments and he is idolized by kids all over Portugal who want to follow his footsteps.

With that being said it is only a small gesture, we have recognized and immortalized the “five violins” of Sporting which we’re huge players for us namely Peyroteo and have done many gestures to recognize those greats as well.

Him and Sporting will forever be intertwined with history and this gesture honors that and the incredible player he became and how proud Sporting is of him.

We have produced many world class players and the greatest players to play for the country and we will continue to do so as our famed academy is used to doing but none will ever (imo) be greater then Cristiano.

Njord

Couldn't hurt for us to do something similar:

"The Best Academy"

Pablo18th

I've got the impression the idolization of Cristiano by Sporting and it's fans is a bit over the top. Sure, he's most likely the best footballer they'll ever produce but naming your academy after a man who played less than 1400 minutes of professional football for your club.. I don't know, such honors are usually reserved for players who devoted larger parts of their career to the club.
Not really, it's never too early to give him his flowers nothing is promised in life except for death. He's also Portuguese and one of their own, him playing a few minutes is not a testament of a lack of devotion but rather his talent and ambition was beyond what they could give him.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Sporting fans are portuguese, he's idolized by Sporting fans similarly to the way that these days he's idolized by loads of Benfica, Porto or Braga fans even if he never played for their clubs. He's not idolized for what he did at club level for us which was next to nothing, although there's obviously a lot of pride in seeing a player have this sort of career after being produced at your club. Same way it happened at a smaller scale with Nani for example or with Rui Costa or now Felix at Benfica, fans understand that the great players will leave and want them to do well after they do.
I can relate to that. As a fan of a club which will likely never win a big international trophy and only has underdog chances of winning the league, you enjoy it if former players (Carvajal, Kroos, Son, Vidal, Havertz) make it to the top, representing your club in a way. However, it still would feel weird to grant such an honor to a player who has only been with the professional team for such a brief period of time. Havertz is probably our best academy product ever and I definitely want him to do well but he's chosen to leave (understandably) and write his legacy elsewhere, so I'd go with a lesser player who devoted his career to the club. We never had such a youth player I believe, so I can't give an example. So yeah, I can see where you're coming from but still feel the admiration a bit one sided.

Possibly, but it's all in the pronounciation. I have the same actual name as my dad for example. :lol: :lol:
Don't know how old you are but if your dad had the same idea of (re)naming himself and his children, you're probably called "Diego", "Zinedine" or something?

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
I can relate to that. As a fan of a club which will likely never win a big international trophy and only has underdog chances of winning the league, you enjoy it if former players (Carvajal, Kroos, Son, Vidal, Havertz) make it to the top, representing your club in a way. However, it still would feel weird to grant such an honor to a player who has only been with the professional team for such a brief period of time. Havertz is probably our best academy product ever and I definitely want him to do well but he's chosen to leave (understandably) and write his legacy elsewhere, so I'd go with a lesser player who devoted his career to the club. We never had such a youth player I believe, so I can't give an example. So yeah, I can see where you're coming from but still feel the admiration a bit one sided.
It's just the academy, if it was the stadium then it would be stupid but the academy seems fitting. I'm sure if Havertz goes on to have a career comparable to Ronaldo and becomes the best german player of all time then Leverkusen might consider it.

Also, this has more purpose than it seems. It's a marketing move first of all which should improve the brand and attract kids to to come play for us and we're renaming a bunch of stuff, the entrances to the stadium are being named after different club legends so this is an extra on top of that.

Cloud7

Some of our fans don’t half enjoy calling things small time do they?

Cloud7

It's just the academy, if it was the stadium then it would be stupid but the academy seems fitting. I'm sure if Havertz goes on to have a career comparable to Ronaldo and becomes the best german player of all time then Leverkusen might consider it.

Also, this has more purpose than it seems. It's a marketing move first of all which should improve the brand and attract kids to to come play for us and we're renaming a bunch of stuff, the entrances to the stadium are being named after different club legends so this is an extra on top of that.
Definitely agree on your second point. I can imagine all the young Portuguese kids that aspire to become footballers will want to train at the Cristiano Ronaldo academy. When you look at it like that it’s a great marketing move.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Bit silly. I can't imagine many Sporting youngsters are sitting there thinking to themselves, 'Okay Jorges, Cristiano Ronaldo came through this academy. It shows that if I have the right mentality and focus I too can go on to achieve great things, not just at this club but on the International scene and across the world. Better make the best of my talent and use Cristiano's influence as my guiding light'.

Hang on. No. That's probably exactly what they're thinking.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Fair enough

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I think it's fair enough. One of the greatest ever and in the eyes of some the greatest ever.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
I don't think anyone would have a problem if we renamed it after Sir Bobby Charlton. Real Madrid's youth football stadium is named after Di Stefano for example, Barcelona's is named after Cruijff.
Which is kind of weird...as Di Stefano didn't come through the Madrid youth system and Cruyff came from Ajax.

Robertd0803

He is one of the greatest of all time and he came through Sportings Academy. Why not name it after him?

mancan92

Bit silly. I can't imagine many Sporting youngsters are sitting there thinking to themselves, 'Okay Jorges, Cristiano Ronaldo came through this academy. It shows that if I have the right mentality and focus I too can go on to achieve great things, not just at this club but on the International scene and across the world. Better make the best of my talent and use Cristiano's influence as my guiding light'.

Hang on. No. That's probably exactly what they're thinking.
:lol: yeah it's weird the objections. If there was a player that ever showcased ability, drive and determination to get to the top its Ronaldo. He's literally the perfect football role model on the pitch.