Sporting renames their academy name to honor Cristiano

Untied

I think the problematic part of this isn’t that it’s small time, but that he’s been credibly accused of rape.

stu_1992

It's not small time in the slightest, he's the greatest player that country has ever produced and they shaped him in his youth career. Fair enough he didn't play too much for them, but he still went on to achieve (and still is achieving) incredible feats in football, part of which is a testament to their academy. He helped their country to their first ever International trophy, and followed it up for the Nations League (if you want count that, but it's a shite tournament.)

I would have no problem renaming our academy after one of our best youth products tbh. For us we've produced so many especially from 1 or 2 generations that it would be hard to pick one outright. Obviously Giggs is most successful, but that would be harsh on Scholes too as he's right up there too.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
It's not small time in the slightest, he's the greatest player that country has ever produced and they shaped him in his youth career. Fair enough he didn't play too much for them, but he still went on to achieve (and still is achieving) incredible feats in football, part of which is a testament to their academy. He helped their country to their first ever International trophy, and followed it up for the Nations League (if you want count that, but it's a shite tournament.)

I would have no problem renaming our academy after one of our best youth products tbh. For us we've produced so many especially from 1 or 2 generations that it would be hard to pick one outright. Obviously Giggs is most successful, but that would be harsh on Scholes too as he's right up there too.
How about if Angel Gomes becomes the undisputed GOAT. Would you be happy for your academy to be named in his honour?

stu_1992

How about if Angel Gomes becomes the undisputed GOAT. Would you be happy for your academy to be named in his honour?
Depends on whether or not he comes back to us in that case. :p Nah I take it they are different situations to be fair, as I listed 2 one-club men whereas Ronaldo left them very young. The difference being though a club like Sporting or really any club in the Portuguese league is never going to be able to hold onto a world beater or likely a potential World Class level talent whereas clubs like United or Chelsea should and can aspire to hold onto elite talent. So it would be far less appropriate for a club in that position to celebrate a youth prospect that left young and went onto huge things elsewhere. Sporting don't have that luxury, and the fact is they did play a role in his development so I wouldn't begrudge him that.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
In fairness he played in the 02-03 season for Sporting he came through our academy and it was because of us that he was able to shred United to pieces in that friendly back in 03 which led to his move to England. We went and found the boy in Madeira at 12 years old and we fed and gave him a roof to life in when he moved from home at such a young age.

There would absolutely be no “Ronaldo” if not for Sporting.

As others have noted it is impossible for Portuguese clubs to hold on to their top talents. Sadly football is a Money game and it’s a shame when small clubs like the wolves or burnleys of the world and other small clubs like that have more money then huge clubs like Sporting, Benfica, and Porto.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Different though isn’t it, Gomes left after refusing our contract, Ronaldo got them a then record fee.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I think the problematic part of this isn’t that it’s small time, but that he’s been credibly accused of rape.
“Credibly”

The most famous athlete in the world who can sleep with anyone he chooses without even having to try and is dating a supermodel girlfriend with 3 kids and is obsessed with the being the greatest of all time is going to risk it all too rape a women when he could get any other female in the world.

Something that comes off as highly highly improbable.

I mean it for sure does not sound like a women trying to make money off of a billionaire and or have her 15 minutes of fame. I mean its not like women falsely accuse men of raping all the time right?

This has nothing to do with the thread so I most likely won’t respond again but that is such a small time comment that had no point in this thread.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
OK, let's say PSG pays you a record fee for someone like Greenwood and he becomes a GOAT, would you want the training ground named after him?
No, but if that happened I wouldn’t call it ‘small time’.

Untied

“Credibly”

The most famous athlete in the world who can sleep with anyone he chooses without even having to try and is dating a supermodel girlfriend with 3 kids and is obsessed with the being the greatest of all time is going to risk it all too rape a women when he could get any other female in the world.

Something that comes off as highly highly improbable.

I mean it for sure does not sound like a women trying to make money off of a billionaire and or have her 15 minutes of fame. I mean its not like women falsely accuse men of raping all the time right?

This has nothing to do with the thread so I most likely won’t respond again but that is such a small time comment that had no point in this thread.
This is pretty offensive given that there is literally a leaked questionnaire from his legal advice in which he admits to forcing himself on her when she repeatedly said no and stop, and says he might have bruised her.

I suggest you read up on the case.