Spurs 2018/19

Vadim

If it happens, how will no 4th place cup effect Spurs then? New stadium to pay for, or did someone give them the cash for it?

Kane, Eriksen, Dele Ali to want CL football elsewhere?

And what about Pochettino? He will surely think he’s done everything he can with them seeing as he doesn’t get a transfer kitty.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Were woeful apart from ten minutes today. Arsenal killed them on both flanks.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
If it happens, how will no 4th place cup effect Spurs then? New stadium to pay for, or did someone give them the cash for it?

Kane, Eriksen, Dele Ali to want CL football elsewhere?

And what about Pochettino? He will surely think he’s done everything he can with them seeing as he doesn’t get a transfer kitty.
I don't expect one season outside of top 4 to be as detrimental, we would go again next season with more stability of a new stadium. Eriksen might leave, but I don't think that would be as a result of this season anyway.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
So how do Spurs fans (not asking the deluded one here) rate Foyth?

Apart from the games against crap sides in Europe and cups, he looked very shaky in PL. Conceded 2 penalties against Wolves and also arguably should have been one more penalty against Chelsea. Now a big mistake vs Arsenal to give them lead.

Is he rated very highly by your fans?

@balaks @SquishyMcSquish @InLevyITrust @hellohello

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham

Apart from the games against crap sides in Europe and cups, he looked very shaky in PL. Conceded 2 penalties against Wolves and also arguably should have been one more penalty against Chelsea. Now a big mistake vs Arsenal to give them lead.

Hmm, firstly I'll say that I find it hard to have a strong opinion on young central defenders after just a few appearances. He has looked shaky in the games you mentioned, but he also had a MOTM performance against Crystal Palace where he looked solid and scored the winner. Personally I see him as our fourth best center back right now, and if it wasn't for the injuries to Verthongen and Sanchez I think Poch wouldn't have played him in these high pressure games. He looks inexperienced but talented, and needs game time and time to develop. But center back is one of the positions where every mistake is the most costly, and also where experience is the most valuable.

Ultimately, I don't see a reason to doubt Pochettinos judgement, especially since I don't see them train week in week out. Pochettino obviously trusts him which mean he must be working hard in training, and have the correct mentality to improve, otherwise he wouldn't play. I rate Sanchez higher though.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

First thing to remember is that he is only 20 years old which for a central defender is usually not an age you would normally expect first-team action in a Premiership club - this shows just how highly rated he is at the club.

I think he has the potential to be very good - he appears to be good on the ball and has a lot of confidence (which no doubt has been tested in his first few months in the side). The most recent game against Arsenal he made a big error however Jan Vertonghen who was supposed to be the senior defender beside him had a much worse game, conceeding a penalty and getting sent off so I think Foyth has been unlucky in that the players around him with the experience have all messed up and appeared shakey which is the last thing he needs.

He will learn from the experiences and the mistakes and I have no doubt he will go on to be a great player for us - he already has been picked by Argentina also so it's not just Spurs that can see his potential.

As a 20 year old defender finding his feet in a new league I think he has done ok - not amazing, but ok.

roonster09

Scout
Fair enough, looked very shaky and didn't know why Poch dropped Toby for Arsenal game.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Fair enough, looked very shaky and didn't know why Poch dropped Toby for Arsenal game.
Probably rested, he has played a lot of football lately because of our injuries, and after 2 high intensive games against Chelsea and Inter I imagine he needed rest. Ideally it would be against different opposition, but if we had a whole week to prepare and rest I believe it would be Verthongen and Alderweireld playing.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

Pretty much echo what has already been said.

He's very young, especially for a central defender. It's a position where experience is key and I think it's expected that he will have shaky moments and games. I've seen enough from him to know there is talent there, he just needs time.

TBH though I think Poch made an error starting him vs Arsenal. It was too big a game for a player who has made a few errors already, making PL starts is a big deal at his age, let alone starting a NLD at the emirates. Maybe a case of Poch having a little too much faith in youth.

roonster09

Scout
Probably rested, he has played a lot of football lately because of our injuries, and after 2 high intensive games against Chelsea and Inter I imagine he needed rest. Ideally it would be against different opposition, but if we had a whole week to prepare and rest I believe it would be Verthongen and Alderweireld playing.
Bit surprising as usually CBs are among the least tired players in the team. I don't know about how his injury problem is though, so won't make any conclusions. It's just felt bit weird that he was rested for the derby game. Next you play Southampton at home, which is ideal game to rest the player. Like I said I don't know about his condition and how much he is capable of playing 3 games in a week.

roonster09

Scout
Pretty much echo what has already been said.

He's very young, especially for a central defender. It's a position where experience is key and I think it's expected that he will have shaky moments and games. I've seen enough from him to know there is talent there, he just needs time.

TBH though I think Poch made an error starting him vs Arsenal. It was too big a game for a player who has made a few errors already, making PL starts is a big deal at his age, let alone starting a NLD at the emirates. Maybe a case of Poch having a little too much faith in youth.
Yeah, this is what I said in my other post. It was surprising that Toby was rested for NLD.

Mick321

Chelsea aside they've been totally outclassed v every good side. Got to be a bit of a worry for them.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Yeah, this is what I said in my other post. It was surprising that Toby was rested for NLD.
I guess Toby was tired, but even so Foyth was a big risk. Especially with how dangerous Arsenal can be going forward, we needed a settled pairing .. but then that was always going to be tough as I also think Vertonghen was rushed back.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Chelsea aside they've been totally outclassed v every good side. Got to be a bit of a worry for them.
It is for me, definitely.

City you expect to be outclassed .. but still, losing at home is never nice. Our performance vs Liverpool was truly horrible and ditto with Arsenal. We just threw away the game despite taking the lead, it's not good enough and we've done it in a few important matches this season already.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Bit surprising as usually CBs are among the least tired players in the team. I don't know about how his injury problem is though, so won't make any conclusions. It's just felt bit weird that he was rested for the derby game. Next you play Southampton at home, which is ideal game to rest the player. Like I said I don't know about his condition and how much he is capable of playing 3 games in a week.
Yeah maybe you're right and he was fit to play, I am just speculating like everyone else. :)

I assume you mean the Liverpool, City and Barca game?

There's some truth to it, but we did start the season with injury problems and we played badly which was when we played Barca and Liverpool. We were the better team against Inter in both games (although we conceded two late goals and lost one of the games). I actually think we played okay against City though, they are just a very very good team. So for me we have had 3 bad performances: Liverpool, Barca and Arsenal. The other ones I think we did okay, even the loss against Inter and City.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
It’s hard to tell if Foyth is playing because he’s rated or because Spurs simply have no depth due to spending 0 in the last window and overall underinvestment in the squad.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

I like him, yes he has made mistakes but that’s to be expected. It’s been a big month or two for him. League and international debut, goals playing well in patches but making rash errors.

Much more disappointed with Jan yesterday, he loses his cool much too easily, I love his heart but should be setting an example on the pitch.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It’s hard to tell if Foyth is playing because he’s rated or because Spurs simply have no depth due to spending 0 in the last window and overall underinvestment in the squad.
We have Sanchez, Verts and Toby all ahead of him for 2 CB positions, even Dier can play CB (I think he is a better CB than DM), we have plenty of depth in our back four.

Primativ

Supports
Tottenham
He's very highly rated. Spurs have plenty of depth, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Sanchez, Foyth, Dier can play there at a pinch. Arguably one of the strongest sets of CBs in the league!

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Rewatching yesterday’s game I feel Poch again made mistakes. He is simply too slow making in game changes, and his philosophy really does sometimes get the better of him. Learn to be pragmatic and change up the play, the game was far too open. It’s funny cause that’s the kind of game Jose wouldn’t lose. Football.... :lol:.

Poch

Supports
Spurs
Sitting there going about our business ready to pick up the pieces over the festive period. A run of easy games now until the end of Feb, in the EPL.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Foyth looks good on the ball, really comfortable with the ball at his feet. His defending is shaky, by virtue of the fact he is 20 and everyone is going to test him out.

Looks like he has a decent turn of pace for a CB as well. I was much more impressed with Sanchez as far as young CB's go.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Thought they were impressive. First team I've ever seen have more of the ball than Barca at Camp Naou.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Very happy.

I'm not convinced about Winks though. He was unpressed in the middle so many times and Rose was free, but I don't think he can make that pass. Difference was huge when Eriksen dropped down, was also him who released Kane for the goal.

He really need to be able to release the ball quicker and improve his passing range. Not sure he will, and either way we need another CM in january.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Very happy.

I'm not convinced about Winks though. He was unpressed in the middle so many times and Rose was free, but I don't think he can make that pass. Difference was huge when Eriksen dropped down, was also him who released Kane for the goal.

He really need to be able to release the ball quicker and improve his passing range. Not sure he will, and either way we need another CM in january.
I think it’s how you see him, he will never be at Eriksen’s level but he’s a very good player to have and I think he move the ball quick enough but more importantly he tries to be positive. If I was playing tonight I certainly wouldn’t have been looking to pass the ball to Rose.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
I think it’s how you see him, he will never be at Eriksen’s level but he’s a very good player to have and I think he move the ball quick enough but more importantly he tries to be positive. If I was playing tonight I certainly wouldn’t have been looking to pass the ball to Rose.
He is a player who frustrate me. I don't expect him to be Eriksen level, but I just feel he can't find the pass between the lines or diagonal balls when needed. We get those balls from Verthongen or Alderweireld, but I don't see Winks doing them at all. Maybe I'm being overly harsh on him, and I don't think he's a bad player, but right now that's my personal feeling on him.

We played a good game though and congratulations to you and all other spurs fans! :)

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
He is a player who frustrate me. I don't expect him to be Eriksen level, but I just feel he can't find the pass between the lines or diagonal balls when needed. We get those balls from Verthongen or Alderweireld, but I don't see Winks doing them at all. Maybe I'm being overly harsh on him, and I don't think he's a bad player, but right now that's my personal feeling on him.

We played a good game though and congratulations to you and all other spurs fans! :)
COYS

It’s funny I get a lot more frustrated with Dembele and Lamela when it comes to releasing the ball quickly. I’m just happy both Winks and Sissoko are stepping up this season.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

Depends on what Poch instructed. I felt tonight he was told to keep it simple and retain possession. Make sure the engine keeps going without revving the engine. He had the highest passes tonight for both teams and one of the highest pass percentages. Granted he might have been able to play some more adventurous balls, but that wasn't the issue for your team tonight, you made more than enough chances.

RooneyLegend

They have no business lining up with Lamela on the bench. He's the only one that can do what he can do when playing at the tip of their diamond. He changed the game when he came on.

Nadger

Supports
Spurs
They have no business lining up with Lamela on the bench. He's the only one that can do what he can do when playing at the tip of their diamond. He changed the game when he came on.
He’s only just coming back for. injury and has a history of long term injuries so, no, you are wrong.

RooneyLegend

Agreed he is a class act.
Shows what can happen when you stick with a talented player throught his development phase. I remember him with terrible decision making and general ineptitude. Now hes a key member of the side. Sadly our club isn't about that life anymore.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Changed what? We were the dominant side before he came on, and had already created plenty of chances. He added something fresh in to the game at a time where we upped the tempo, but we should never have been losing the match.

He's a key member of the squad now but I wouldn't say we should always be lining up with him, I actually quite often find him to be a bit of a disappointment when he starts. Coming off the bench he often seems more effective, mixing up our playstyle and adding that energy and drive, he's a great asset to have.

We've actually got very good competition for the wide attacking roles now, which is always good .. with not only Lamela coming very good this season, but Lucas doing well.

Andersons Dietician

How many chances did Spurs need last night. Some of the approach play was brilliant but they should have finished at least 3 or 4 of them.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
How many chances did Spurs need last night. Some of the approach play was brilliant but they should have finished at least 3 or 4 of them.
It was horrible to watch.

When Inter equalised I pretty much resigned myself to going out, because it just seemed like it was not our day. Not only missed chances but balls across the box not quite reaching the man, shots not quite coming off etc. It was one of the most frustrating games I've watched in a while.

Andersons Dietician

It was horrible to watch.

When Inter equalised I pretty much resigned myself to going out, because it just seemed like it was not our day. Not only missed chances but balls across the box not quite reaching the man, shots not quite coming off etc. It was one of the most frustrating games I've watched in a while.
I can imagine. Everytime coutinho hit the post the heart was going a little faster as well was it?

I was working so I watched the compacted 1hr highlight version later on BT and I had no idea of the results elsewhere but it finished and there was no mention of what the Inter result was or if Spurs were through at all so even I a loyal United supporter found myself scurrying to find out if they got through or not.

Feel a little sorry for that young RB, got caught out but the change of pace from Dembele sometimes you just got to hold your hands up and say damn, unlucky kid.