Spurs 2018/19

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Daniel Levy, the Tottenham Hotspur chairman, said that he “hated the idea” of a £30 cap on away tickets for supporters, despite warnings from the head of the Premier League that the clubs had gained a reputation for being “greedy bastards”, leaked emails have revealed.

Richard Scudamore, the executive chairman of the Premier League at the time, even stated three years ago that an agreement on the cap could be used as leverage with government ministers to influence the outcome of an investigation by Ofcom, the broadcast regulator, into how the league sells its TV rights. The emails — published by Der Spiegel, the German weekly news magazine, from the Football Leaks cache of documents — also disclose the level to which the “big six” clubs have worked together on various issues, with Ed Woodward, the Manchester United executive vice-chairman, suggesting that they vote as a block.

The £30 cap was first agreed by the 20 top-flight clubs in March 2016 after lobbying by Scudamore, and was reinstated for another three years this month. Scudamore stepped down as chairman in December but is still paid by the league as a consultant.

In the build-up to the March 2016 meeting, Scudamore emailed the clubs about the proposed away cap, saying: “No amount of charity giving or the deployment of slick PR can make up for the reputation we have garnered, fairly or unfairly, in the court of public opinion, of being greedy bastards and not giving two hoots for the fans.”

In response, Levy emailed the executives of the other members of the “big six” — Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and the two Manchester clubs as well as Spurs, saying: “Happy to do a call with us 6 . . . I personally hate the idea.”

The emails indicate that Scudamore tried to use the Ofcom investigation as another reason for the clubs to agree to the cap, saying he could “certainly use it directly with government ministers who can directly influence Ofcom opinion”. He went on: “I need to be careful what I put in an email but you understand.”

Ofcom closed its investigation in August 2016, saying that it had taken account of the league’s decision to increase the number of matches sold for live broadcast to at least 190 matches per season for 2019 to 2022.

The regulator told Der Spiegel that the investigation was not focused on ticket prices and that it is independent, impartial and free of political influence.

The Premier League declined to comment while Spurs said: “As a club we absolutely supported assisting away fans — however we had proposed our preferred method for supporting away fans which related to assisting with travel costs. The issue was debated and resulted in an unanimous decision to set the away price.”

It is no secret that the executives of the “big six” have held meetings together — and in June managed to secure a greater share of overseas TV rights income rather than having it split completely equally between all 20 clubs.

The emails show that in November 2015 Woodward orchestrated a move to block a vote on an undisclosed issue.

“Just to ensure we are all on same page,” the Manchester United executive vice-chairman emailed to other “big six” executives, “Plan A get vote pushed . . . plan B vote against it as a block.”

Manchester United also declined to comment.

Der Spiegel also reported that in September 2017, Nike, the sports goods company, offered €59 million (about £52 million) for the right to provide the match balls to the Premier League until 2025.
Thanks! I hate football sometimes...

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Fantastic article.

Won't stop the 'but he's won nuffin so he's not a success' or the 'lol such bottlers' comments, but a really good summary of what a fantastic job he's doing in having us where we are. Completely exceeded all expectations since taking charge, even our most optimistic fans would never have believed after AVB/Sherwood that we'd be even mentioned in a title race.

So true that he's basically been a victim of his own success as well. Now when he gets the team to third and an FA cup semi final, people talk it down like that's just the minimum expectation for us. To have us where we are currently despite signing nobody in January/Summer is honestly a remarkable achievement, I can't understand anybody who doubts his ability as one of the best managers in the league .. his consistency is so, so impressive and so many players have improved immeasurably under his leadership.

One does have to wonder what he could have achieved had we had that extra investment (this summer in particular I was very vocal about our needs in certain areas) but he hasn't complained about that and instead has made the best of what he has available and got on with the job.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
How many points do you reckon you will take in this next seven days?
9 :D

In all honestly though it will be tough since Chelsea and Arsenal always get extra motivated to play against us, they won't be pushovers despite being in bad form. Burnley are 7th on the form table and got 15 points in their last 7 games. Let's see what happens, but I expect some close games.

Good timing with Kane coming back. They have exceeded my expectations with their results without him. I thought we would have a chance of catching Spurs.

So now I’ll be cheering them on against Arsenal and Chelsea and hoping they can beat both of them, which would help us in securing top 4.

Wilt

As Spurs are the only realistic chance of stopping City winning it and Liverpool doing the unthinkable, I’m backing them all the way.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
How many points do you reckon you will take in this next seven days?
I'm really not sure if I'm honest but I'm also really not sure why we have such little time between the Chelsea and Arsenal games? Chelsea 8pm on Wednesday and then Arsenal 1230 on Saturday? Why?

Burnley have been in reasonable form recently so will just need to take one match at a time. Difficult couple of weeks coming up.

croadyman

Will be interesting to see who is in charge of Chelsea when you go there next week

Burnley 2:1 Spurs

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Positive thing is dropping points here might take pressure off them before the Chelsea Arsenal games. Could be good for us.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Any time anyone mentions Spurs as serious title contenders they get stage fright. It's so predictable.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
We Goa-gain.

Last edited:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Spurs in the title race? No, it’s nosebleed time all over again. Same old, same old. See you next season, folks.

Alemar

Tottenham unbelievable run continues. That is, still 0 (zero) draws in 3/4 of the season.

Enigma_87

You know who
On a side note which was the last team that went on with zero draws in the course of a full season?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Positive thing is dropping points here might take pressure off them before the Chelsea Arsenal games. Could be good for us.
Or maybe we could take 3rd

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I'm just happy Glaston is fecking off to India for another week.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Awful performance. People call us bottlers and today proves them right.
Jesus man, no it doesn't.

We're just not title quality so we're going to have the odd game (like Burnley away) where we drop points, and then inevitably the lazy bottling comments will come in.

Burnley were extremely well organised, pressed like animals all game and we were outdone. They got the breaks, our tactical change backfired because it left us very open and without any kind of control in midfield, so we lost. We're the third best team in the league but the top two have set an incredible standard and whilst we've been very consistent, we're not quite there.

Poeple saying 'as soon as they're mentioned in the title race!' despite the fact people have been talking about us as title contenders for the last few games and we won them. Today was a shite performance but you have to say credit to Burnley.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I know the whole bottle job thing is mostly banter, but it doesn't help that as soon as they're mentioned in the press as being title contenders they lose the next game. There's definitely something there. Now watch them go on another great run.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I know the whole bottle job thing is mostly banter, but it doesn't help that as soon as they're mentioned in the press as being title contenders they lose the next game. There's definitely something there. Now watch them go on another great run.
We've been talked up in the press for a while. Of course when we're being consistent we will get mentioned and eventually will drop points.

The 'title challengers' comments didn't only arrive before the Burnley game.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Jesus man, no it doesn't.

We're just not title quality so we're going to have the odd game (like Burnley away) where we drop points, and then inevitably the lazy bottling comments will come in.

Burnley were extremely well organised, pressed like animals all game and we were outdone. They got the breaks, our tactical change backfired because it left us very open and without any kind of control in midfield, so we lost. We're the third best team in the league but the top two have set an incredible standard and whilst we've been very consistent, we're not quite there.

Poeple saying 'as soon as they're mentioned in the title race!' despite the fact people have been talking about us as title contenders for the last few games and we won them. Today was a shite performance but you have to say credit to Burnley.
You are right of course. My frustration got the better of me. We have enough to beat Burnley though. We had a nice break, Kane back, yet we have a performance like that? So disappointed.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
They've been mentioned as title contenders for a few weeks now.

People complain about shit pundits but it's the least you expect when their audience drinks up and spouts the same guff.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We've been talked up in the press for a while. Of course when we're being consistent we will get mentioned and eventually will drop points.

The 'title challengers' comments didn't only arrive before the Burnley game.
Before the Wolves game the pressure was starting to build up too. Saw a lot of articles this week about how Spurs winning this game and us beating Liverpool means Spurs have a very good chance of winning it. I knew Spurs would drop points as soon as that happened.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
You are right of course. My frustration got the better of me. We have enough to beat Burnley though. We had a nice break, Kane back, yet we have a performance like that? So disappointed.
It's shite, but this is the Premier League. Burnley are a team still fighting relegation who are unbeaten for a long while and had their tails up, we struggled to compete physically all game and the tactical changes gave them a lot of space which they took advantage of.

I think Poch got it wrong today. We chucked attacking players on but in doing so lost any grip we had over the match and Burnley were simply better at throwing long balls forward than we are, they excel when the game is scrappy and direct like that.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Before the Wolves game the pressure was starting to build up too. Saw a lot of articles this week about how Spurs winning this game and us beating Liverpool means Spurs have a very good chance of winning it. I knew Spurs would drop points as soon as that happened.
So you think we lost because our players read a couple of articles and went 'oh shit, we ARE challengers!' ???

We've been talked about as title challengers for weeks now. We've also been winning games by 1 goal/tight margins so a game like this was bound to happen sooner or later, we're not a team who are at a level where we can simply dispatch with teams every week with no issue.

People are acting like for the last month we've been smashing teams left right and centre, we haven't. We've been just about winning games against relatively poor opposition, today it went the other way and Burnley got the three points after we took risks by throwing on attacking players. That's all there is to it.