Spurs 2018/19

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
Typical Tottenham, a soft underbelly undoes all the good work. Burnley have turned the corner and are getting some decent results of late but any credible title challenger has to get something from games like this. Even a point isn't a disaster but losing just brings to attention all the frailties that Spurs have always had.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
You are right of course. My frustration got the better of me. We have enough to beat Burnley though. We had a nice break, Kane back, yet we have a performance like that? So disappointed.
Are you a recent fan of Spurs then if you’re disappointed by this? Long term Spurs fans should be in heaven to even be mentioned in a title race at this part of the season.

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
Fantastic article.

Won't stop the 'but he's won nuffin so he's not a success' or the 'lol such bottlers' comments, but a really good summary of what a fantastic job he's doing in having us where we are. Completely exceeded all expectations since taking charge, even our most optimistic fans would never have believed after AVB/Sherwood that we'd be even mentioned in a title race.

So true that he's basically been a victim of his own success as well. Now when he gets the team to third and an FA cup semi final, people talk it down like that's just the minimum expectation for us. To have us where we are currently despite signing nobody in January/Summer is honestly a remarkable achievement, I can't understand anybody who doubts his ability as one of the best managers in the league .. his consistency is so, so impressive and so many players have improved immeasurably under his leadership.

One does have to wonder what he could have achieved had we had that extra investment (this summer in particular I was very vocal about our needs in certain areas) but he hasn't complained about that and instead has made the best of what he has available and got on with the job.
Did you cum?

United58

Jesus man, no it doesn't.

We're just not title quality so we're going to have the odd game (like Burnley away) where we drop points, and then inevitably the lazy bottling comments will come in.
Agree with this - people over react to everything in football (City and Liverpool this season are the best teams ever, Pogba's suddenly the best player on the planet) and they love to paint lazy narratives.

Very poor result for them, but so was our 2-2 at home against Burnley just a few weeks ago.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Agree with this - people over react to everything in football (City and Liverpool this season are the best teams ever, Pogba's suddenly the best player on the planet) and they love to paint lazy narratives.

Very poor result for them, but so was our 2-2 at home against Burnley just a few weeks ago.
Shit results happen and mostly they're not indicative of some deeper failing in a team, just a shit result. Like you say though, people adore a narrative.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Crap result, and bad performance, but well. We would have to have been pretty much perfect from here on in to have a chance at the title, and games like today show that we aren't quite there yet.

Eric7C

All joking aside, Spurs consistently miss chances to put pressure on title rivals. If it happens more than two or three times, it has to be seen as a pattern.

Treble

Spurs are punching above their weight and thus aren't bottling anything by definition. They just are not good enough (yet). In terms of xG they are 17 pts off City whereas in the real table just 5 pts off. Actually, they are massively overachieving this season.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's a bad result on its own, but it probably has no bearing on their season. They won't win the league and they won't drop out the top four. I'd argue the palace result in the cup was far more damaging.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Every time they get within striking distance, they choke and drop points.
Yep. Applies to any competition they're in. Semis on the league cup against a struggling Chelsea, they lose. Semis of the FA cup against United in turmoil last year at a ground they play at every week, they lose. Wouldn't surprise me if they lose 3-0 to Dortmund now, but more likely is just next round theyll get knocked out and see it as a massive achievement. 5 years from now Poch will be gone without having won a trophy and his time with Spurs will be nothing more than an after thought because they couldnt achieve any real success. Its harsh, but true.

GazTheLegend

Shit results happen and mostly they're not indicative of some deeper failing in a team, just a shit result. Like you say though, people adore a narrative.
TBH despite the obvious media narrative you should be proud of your team. Tottenham have shown more character in the last few weeks than I ever believed they had in them, and I genuinely was starting to believe they were going to win the title.

Todays result probably means it's not going to happen but that doesn't mean anything - even Liverpool have spent absolutely stupid amounts of money to get where they are now, and Spurs side doesn't look like it's going to be disbanded any time soon.

I'm sure Poch will stay and have another tilt at it next season. As to now, I wouldn't want to be playing them in the CL next round, they could beat anyone.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
We need to put distance between us and Chelsea/Arsenal so I want Spurs to win the next two

It counts for jackshit if you finish 2nd to 4th in PL anyway.

NYAS

@SquishyMcSquish We can all agree Poch is doing a great job but at what point do Spurs fans stop being content at the results and consistency he’s getting and start to expect trophies? Surely there has to be a point where you should take the next step? I don’t think we can go on forever about budgets and how Spurs are financially weaker than the other top 6 teams and so any progression is just a bonus and shouldn’t be “expected”. Not saying you’ve said that but it’s been the most common argument in favor of Poch and Spurs.

cjj

Supports
Spurs
Sky etc this morning: "Spurs aren't contenders, they don't have a chance, not good enough"
Sky post Burnley: "Spurs have bottled it, they've missed their chance"

:confused::rolleyes:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Sky etc this morning: "Spurs aren't contenders, they don't have a chance, not good enough"
Sky post Burnley: "Spurs have bottled it, they've missed their chance"

:confused::rolleyes:
They don't have a chance because they predictably feck up their chance every time they get relatively close, so everyone expects it

RyRoc

A big problem Spurs have got is for example take the young centre half Foyth. I think he's got something about him but isn't ready for this level yet. However no doubt he will turn into a better player because of this experience. But Spurs as a team aren't better for it and that really is a big problem because if he then does turn into an excellent CB he's likely to be brought by a bigger club. So his learning experiences is potentially going to benefit another club.

It's why without investment, I don't believe Spurs can go beyond the next level. For me at their best they will be just top 4 ( which by the way is a fantastic achievement given their budget) but they have the potential to actually do better which must be frustrating) I think top 4 would be a lot more appreciated if they won a cup every 3/4 seasons but they don't. It's a difficult situation.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
A big problem Spurs have got is for example take the young centre half Foyth. I think he's got something about him but isn't ready for this level yet. However no doubt he will turn into a better player because of this experience. But Spurs as a team aren't better for it and that really is a big problem because if he then does turn into an excellent CB he's likely to be brought by a bigger club. So his learning experiences is potentially going to benefit another club.

It's why without investment, I don't believe Spurs can go beyond the next level. For me at their best they will be just top 4 ( which by the way is a fantastic achievement given their budget) but they have the potential to actually do better which must be frustrating) I think top 4 would be a lot more appreciated if they won a cup every 3/4 seasons but they don't. It's a difficult situation.
No it wouldn't.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Spurs are punching above their weight and thus aren't bottling anything by definition. They just are not good enough (yet). In terms of xG they are 17 pts off City whereas in the real table just 5 pts off. Actually, they are massively overachieving this season.
Agree.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
@SquishyMcSquish We can all agree Poch is doing a great job but at what point do Spurs fans stop being content at the results and consistency he’s getting and start to expect trophies? Surely there has to be a point where you should take the next step? I don’t think we can go on forever about budgets and how Spurs are financially weaker than the other top 6 teams and so any progression is just a bonus and shouldn’t be “expected”. Not saying you’ve said that but it’s been the most common argument in favor of Poch and Spurs.
Do you want them to like, force Poch out or something?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

We don't. The two domestic cups were disappointing this season but that can happen, but we're certainly never going to start demanding the biggest honours. It's frustrating not to win a trophy but we're not going to get on the managers back for failing to win an FA or league cup, that would be absurd.

We can go on about budgets, because the reality is we're probably in to a CL quarter final and currently sit third in the league having signed nobody in either the summer or january, and having experienced a pretty bad injury crisis. Today was a crappy result but it doesn't change the fact we're doing exceptionally well to be where we are, and the fact we're even being mentioned in the title race is a testament to how good a job Pochettino has done. He's a victim of his own success as when we over achieve people expect us to go for the league, thus when we fall short we get ignorant, short sighted comments calling us bottlers, saying he's not achieved anything at the club etc. They're best ignored.

What is the alternative? Does anyone seriously believe if we sacked Pochettino (which would be utterly absurd and no manager in football is going to come to a club where the board spend nothing but still expect top 4 finishes AND trophies) the new guy would come in and start winning things? Nobody could be doing a better job than Poch right now, I absolutely will stand by that. Today was a bad result which people are going to knee jerk to because that's what football fans do, when the reality is we've been on an incredible run and can look forward with excitement to the CL.

Burnley are unbeaten for a long while and nearly beat United away from home. They played tremendously well and gave it everything, we got back in the game and then took a big risk by chucking on some attackers which backfired and cost us the game. It happens, managers inevitably will get stuff wrong tactically when they take risks, that is football. People will want to search for some deeper meaning because it suits the agenda they want to press (Spurs are bottlers blah blah blah) when really football team loses league game is far from the end of the world. We were always big, big underdogs for the league and for a while have been doing well to scrape together points, which caught up with us today. It was going to eventually, everyone who was watching us could see we weren't some Cityesque team who were practically invincible.

NYAS

We don't. The two domestic cups were disappointing this season but that can happen, but we're certainly never going to start demanding the biggest honours. It's frustrating not to win a trophy but we're not going to get on the managers back for failing to win an FA or league cup, that would be absurd.

We can go on about budgets, because the reality is we're probably in to a CL quarter final and currently sit third in the league having signed nobody in either the summer or january, and having experienced a pretty bad injury crisis. Today was a crappy result but it doesn't change the fact we're doing exceptionally well to be where we are, and the fact we're even being mentioned in the title race is a testament to how good a job Pochettino has done. He's a victim of his own success as when we over achieve people expect us to go for the league, thus when we fall short we get ignorant, short sighted comments calling us bottlers, saying he's not achieved anything at the club etc. They're best ignored.

What is the alternative? Does anyone seriously believe if we sacked Pochettino (which would be utterly absurd and no manager in football is going to come to a club where the board spend nothing but still expect top 4 finishes AND trophies) the new guy would come in and start winning things? Nobody could be doing a better job than Poch right now, I absolutely will stand by that. Today was a bad result which people are going to knee jerk to because that's what football fans do, when the reality is we've been on an incredible run and can look forward with excitement to the CL.

Burnley are unbeaten for a long while and nearly beat United away from home. They played tremendously well and gave it everything, we got back in the game and then took a big risk by chucking on some attackers which backfired and cost us the game. It happens, managers inevitably will get stuff wrong tactically when they take risks, that is football. People will want to search for some deeper meaning because it suits the agenda they want to press (Spurs are bottlers blah blah blah) when really football team loses league game is far from the end of the world. We were always big, big underdogs for the league and for a while have been doing well to scrape together points, which caught up with us today. It was going to eventually, everyone who was watching us could see we weren't some Cityesque team who were practically invincible.
Yes I get that, and I’m not saying you should be disappointed with your manager. What I’m asking is, if you keep your manager and players and keep getting the same results 6-7 years from now, don’t you think your own fans are going to start to demand some silverware to go with the performances?

Presumably Spurs have a plan to increase their revenue and budgets in the coming years post-stadium. It’s what we’ve been hearing from Glaston for years. Then the whole budget point starts to become a little moot when you get to that target. When is that expected to happen?

What I’m trying to get across is, every club has their own ambitions based on a lot of factors including expectations, history, finances, quality of staff and players, etc. But when clubs make progress then expectations also start to become more ambitious from those within the club. It’s normal. There has to be a next step, or else what’s the point? I’m sure Spurs’ future ambition is to win trophies. It’s the logical progression. But when does that start to become expected? Is it after a specific number of years? Is it when the budget grows to a certain level? Again, I’m not saying you should be at that point now, I’m just asking when you envision that happening. I’m sure you’re not going to be completely content if Spurs finish 3rd every season for decades to come.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Yes I get that, and I’m not saying you should be disappointed with your manager. What I’m asking is, if you keep your manager and players and keep getting the same results 6-7 years from now, don’t you think your own fans are going to start to demand some silverware to go with the performances?

Presumably Spurs have a plan to increase their revenue and budgets in the coming years post-stadium. It’s what we’ve been hearing from Glaston for years. Then the whole budget point starts to become a little moot when you get to that target. When is that expected to happen?

What I’m trying to get across is, every club has their own ambitions based on a lot of factors including expectations, history, finances, quality of staff and players, etc. But when clubs make progress then expectations also start to become more ambitious from those within the club. It’s normal. There has to be a next step, or else what’s the point? I’m sure Spurs’ future ambition is to win trophies. It’s the logical progression. But when does that start to become expected? Is it after a specific number of years? Is it when the budget grows to a certain level? Again, I’m not saying you should be at that point now, I’m just asking when you envision that happening. I’m sure you’re not going to be completely content if Spurs finish 3rd every season for decades to come.
Our fans will turn to the board for their demands, not the manager .. at least I hope so. I think in the next few years we need to see some genuine investment in to the team and a willingness to back Pochettino going in to a new era if he's prepared to stay at the club. 6-7 years to now if Pochettino is getting some genuine financial backing and we're in the same place, then yes we can start to discuss whether it's good enough any longer. I firmly believe silverware (probably a domestic cup) will come eventually, we've hardly been miles off.

Right now we're just happy to be where we are, given the position the club are in with the new stadium, and nobody is going to be complaining about 3rd in the league and in to the CL quarters, nobody with any rational bone in their body anyhow. I would hope that in the next 5-10 years the club are more prepared to spend in the transfer market but we'll see, certainly I'm not going to start putting any of the blame on the manager who I believe to have developed this squad exceptionally well.

I was very vocal about how unhappy I was about our summer, possibly the most annoyed Spurs fan on here about it. I think we needed to strengthen in midfield and possibly bring in another attacking player, so it's not like I'm unambitious or happy for the club to just stay static, certainly I do believe that despite the investment put in by the board to the club, we still need to spend money on players. Perhaps if we'd gone in for a proper CM this summer and a wide attacker we'd be neck and neck with Liverpool & City, who knows?

That's my general take on things. Pochettino is overachieving so whilst I will be critical of him in some individual games, overall he's been excellent. The board however I do think are guilty of leaning a bit too much on how well Poch has done and leaving the squad a little underfunded.

Member 115509

Seems fairly typical of Spurs to lose that game when they had a real chance to put themselves right into the mix for the Title, at least temporarily anyway. They are there or thereabouts but I doubt anyone seriously thinks they will actually win the league, barring an almost total collapse from both Liverpool and City.

AshRK

The fact that spurs are being laughed at for blowing a title race against this city side shows how far they have come. Poch has done a top job and all these petty laughs at him does not make any sense. People rave about klopp but don't mention the fact he has spent more than £150m (feck net spend) in recruiting new players. Klopp or even pep wouldn't have done shit all had their owners spent nothing. I am happy with Ole and want him to be our manager but poch is a top coach who has done a remarkable job at spurs.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
The fact that spurs are being laughed at for blowing a title race against this city side shows how far they have come. Poch has done a top job and all these petty laughs at him does not make any sense. People rave about klopp but don't mention the fact he has spent more than £150m (feck net spend) in recruiting new players. Klopp or even pep wouldn't have done shit all had their owners spent nothing. I am happy with Ole and want him to be our manager but poch is a top coach who has done a remarkable job at spurs.
Spurs haven't blown any title race. Every time you think they are in one they lose and you forget about them. The only one close to blowing a title race are Liverpool, who were 7 points ahead and are now needing a result at Old Trafford to go top. The exact same thing happened in 16/17. Everyone was bigging up Spurs as title contenders yet they were nowhere near winning at any point.

Fans are obsessed with picking a team to win the title so much so that the criteria for it is ridiculously low. You have people saying there's a title race in November with less than half the season gone (that worked out great for us last season).

Being 5 points behind at this point is not being in a title race, chances are that gap will widen not shorten at the end of the season due to averages. City and Pool are in a title race, because every game has the potential for a new league leader. They are competing week by week. Spurs haven't threatened 1st place once this season.

AJ10

Any time there is even a small talk (not actual chance) of spurs being in the title race, they drop points.

Andy Hill

Realistically that is game over for Spurs’ title challenge and more importantly we can cut the gap to 6 points tomorrow. It could be game on for 3rd.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Any time there is even a small talk (not actual chance) of spurs being in the title race, they drop points.
Wish people would actually look at fixture lists when making bold claims. In reality Spurs would snatch people's hands if offered two draws at Anfield and Man. City (given they have poor records at both grounds and both beat them at Wembley) and you don't tend to win leagues if you're chasing two teams and don't beat either of them.

Anyway they will still be top 4 but interested to see how they react. They'e usually been excellent at winning 3-4 after losing a game this season but Chelsea (a) and Arsenal (h) is a little tougher than the fixtures they've had after other losses.

This fact keeps amusing me but they've now lose more premier league games this season than Arsenal, Chelsea and Man. United.

Moriarty

I am happy with Ole and want him to be our manager but poch is a top coach who has done a remarkable job at spurs.
Spurs look like they've run into a brick wall. They've been the nearly men for some time now and maybe Poch has taken them as far as he can. They're a good team to watch but they do show a bit of frailty now and again. They remind me a lot of Atkinson's United but even Ron picked up the odd cup.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The strange thing with Tottenham, is at times it doesn't seem to matter who they have out injured, they still storm the multiple wins.

At one point they had Kane-Son-Alli and probably the odd other out, yet won all those games.
But like others have said, a glimpse of glory and they then drop off.