Spurs 2018/19

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Liverpool will face us in Old Trafford, 5 points only behind the leader and got boost since their best player back in the starting XI now, and somehow fail to take the opportunity to close the gaps.

Although, I actually predicted this outcome since Spurs has been incredibly lucky recently and Burnley isn’t easy to face.

AJ10

Wish people would actually look at fixture lists when making bold claims. In reality Spurs would snatch people's hands if offered two draws at Anfield and Man. City (given they have poor records at both grounds and both beat them at Wembley) and you don't tend to win leagues if you're chasing two teams and don't beat either of them.

Anyway they will still be top 4 but interested to see how they react. They'e usually been excellent at winning 3-4 after losing a game this season but Chelsea (a) and Arsenal (h) is a little tougher than the fixtures they've had after other losses.

This fact keeps amusing me but they've now lose more premier league games this season than Arsenal, Chelsea and Man. United.
Maybe others think spurs have a chance (I don't) but as I said it does seem like they drop points when there is a talk of them being in the race and I am not talking about dropping points vs big teams, I mean vs teams they should be beating for example Wolves at home and today.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Seems fairly typical of Spurs to lose that game when they had a real chance to put themselves right into the mix for the Title, at least temporarily anyway. They are there or thereabouts but I doubt anyone seriously thinks they will actually win the league, barring an almost total collapse from both Liverpool and City.
I think its only media clickbait that have them in the title race. But they will have a say in it for sure, with both Man C and Liverpool to play, they pull a draw at either of those places could be a big swing in the race.

They needed some squad investment in midfield once Dembele left, Sissoko is having a good season and Winks is functional and could end up a tidy player in the Joao Moutinho style, but realistically they are not good enough for a team chasing the title. Especially when you look at the other midfielders they have, 2 DM's in Dier and Wanyama, not exactly an exciting plan B. It's left to Eriksen and Alli to often drop back into midfield to actually create something.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Has the opportunity to go 2 points off the top - has Kane back.

Has to beat Burnley...

Or even a draw with Burnley will put them 4 points off top...

Manages to lose.

They will always do it when it matters, they're bottlers.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Has the opportunity to go 2 points off the top - has Kane back.

Has to beat Burnley...

Manages to lose.

They will always do it when it matters, they're bottlers.
Doesn't it matter that Spurs get through to the QFs of the biggest in competition club football? Spurs 3 - Dortmund 0.

The "bottling" line is always taken by lazy thinkers who are stuck in binary mode.

Last edited:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Why does it matter if you reach the QF of the CL...? You're not gonna win it.
If you don't see why being in the quarter final of the champions league would be a big deal for Spurs fans/the club, then there is no point in further discussion.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
If you don't see why being in the quarter final of the champions league would be a big deal for Spurs fans/the club, then there is no point in further discussion.
Not really my point though, mate, was it?

Has the opportunity to go 2 points off the top of PL - has Kane back.

Has to beat Burnley...

Manages to lose.

You will always do it when it matters, season after season, you're bottlers.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

Has to beat Burnley...

Manages to lose.

I wasn't going to address the bottlers post, you think we're bottlers and that opinion isn't going to change. I've already made loads of posts about it so we'll have to agree to disagree.

People ignore all the times we win when we're in these kind of situations because it doesn't suit the narrative. It was the same story when we finished 2nd in 16/17, we won a bunch of games in a row and as soon as we lost one (vs West Ham) that suddenly became the game where all the pressure was on, even though all the wins before that were equally as important. I don't think today's game had any more pressure involved than the ones vs Newcastle or Watford, the difference was Burnley played better than those sides, got a goal from a set piece and then took advantage when we threw players forward late on.

Like I've said over and over again, the biggest criticism of Spurs was that Pochettino made a tactical error late on vs Burnley, he left us totally unbalanced and far too easy to cut open. You could see every long ball from Burnley in the last 15 minutes or so was getting through, our tactical shift backfired. That wasn't a mentality issue, if anything we showed guts by going for the win at all costs.

cjj

Supports
Spurs

Has to beat Burnley...

Manages to lose.

The same Burnley that United couldn't beat the other week and hadn't been beaten in the last half a dozen PL games.

Fact is, Pochettino knew at 1-1 that playing for a draw wouldn't be enough. He gambled and it didn't pay off, but Burnley had the rub of the green in many aspects.

I suspect pragmatism is of no interest to you though, as I've yet to see the application of the "bottler" theme used by a thinking man.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
The same Burnley that United couldn't beat the other week and hadn't been beaten in the last half a dozen PL games.

Fact is, Pochettino knew at 1-1 that playing for a draw wouldn't be enough. He gambled and it didn't pay off, but Burnley had the rub of the green in many aspects.

I suspect pragmatism is of no interest to you though, as I've yet to see the application of the "bottler" theme used by a thinking man.
@Rhyme Animal … He's a hypocrite. He says "Why does it matter if you [Spurs] reach the QF of the CL?" …. Yet United would bite your hand off to get to the QFs.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They'd have been 3 points off top if they'd have won! Quite surprising when you think how few points Liverpool have dropped, and how excellent City have looked a lot of this season.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They'd have been 3 points off top if they'd have won! Quite surprising when you think how few points Liverpool have dropped, and how excellent City have looked a lot of this season.
That's what drawing no games in a season up to March does. People forget a hard earned point is still two points dropped in many respects.

Anyway I do feel Spurs rode their luck a bit in some of the games this year, they won v Fulham with last kick and weren't great at all at home to Watford but kept going so think yesterday was just balancing out of things.

Finishing comfortably top 4 is still a good season for them.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
@Rhyme Animal … He's a hypocrite. He says "Why does it matter if you [Spurs] reach the QF of the CL?" …. Yet United would bite your hand off to get to the QFs.
Your own manager normally sneers at the importance of cups, so I see a bit why someone is asking what's the point of you going further in one.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Your own manager normally sneers at the importance of cups, so I see a bit why someone is asking what's the point of you going further in one.
This is not an accurate version of the truth. Pochettino says that he priorities the importance of the league and CL over domestic cups. This does not translate to "sneering" at the latter.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Doesn't it matter that Spurs get through to the QFs of the biggest in competition club football? Spurs 3 - Dortmund 0.

The "bottling" line is always taken by lazy thinkers who are stuck in binary mode.
Spurs are through to the QF? Has the 2nd leg been cancelled?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I reckon it sort of looks like they're having a worse season than they actually are because of the fact that they've unusually not drawn a single game yet, meaning they've lost more than you'd expect of a team anywhere near a title race. But ultimately points count, and in that regard they're still doing very well. Obviously given their reputation though daft defeats are always going to receive more attention than they perhaps would for most sides.

slored1

They are imploding at the wrong time. Poch has to get them back up or they could be out of the top 4 in no time. Also, Trippier is absolute garbage. No idea how he is England's first choice right-back.

AaronRedDevil

Poch making ole look good. All these big team games are tests, and he's failing every single one of them. Bar one win. Yet ole has been here about 2 months and looks like SAF reincarnate.

Rafaeldagold

They were so so poor tonight. Nothing In the final third at all- & back in a top 4 race, not a title race, which their performances over the season have deserved.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
8th league defeat of the season tonight, just goes to show how damaging draws can be

The Purley King

Not sure about Lloris for that opening goal.

More and more errors in his game.
Lloris has always been hugely overrated. Always has a wtf moment in his locker. Reminds me quite a lot of barthez in that respect (and he’s short for a goalie and french). Occasionally amazing but once every 7 or 8 games will do something very costly.

Djemba-Djemba

Lloris has always been hugely overrated. Always has a wtf moment in his locker. Reminds me quite a lot of barthez in that respect (and he’s short for a goalie and french). Occasionally amazing but once every 7 or 8 games will do something very costly.
Feels like it's every 3 or 4 games now though.

mu4c_20le

Agreed. Dont care about his nominations, was never truly WC, but just a level below.

The Purley King

Feels like it's every 3 or 4 games now though.
Yeah does seem to be more often than it used to be now. The trippier og was 100% his fault tonight and he was poor for the opener as well.
Doubt a new keeper will be a priority for spurs but they’ll need one sooner rather than later.

PoTMS

Those 3-4 weeks where Son got those late winners will mean they limp into top four.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
This NLD is going to be the biggest in recent memory. If we win Spurs will be deep in a top 4 race just 1-2 points ahead of us, Utd and Chelsea and with upcoming trips to Anfield and Etihad to look forward to heck even a draw will do. Great news for everyone except Spurs which is simply great news. Finish outside the CL and there goes the summer budget. Happy times.