Spurs Documentary: All or nothing

iKnowNothing

Mourinho meeting with Kane was funny. Kane saying he wants to be like Messi and Ronaldo and Mourinho can give him that and the funniest part was Spurs has better players around him compared to United.
Is all of this scripted for better TV? Or did they actually say those words and mean it?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It's marketing tool. Never underestimate it.

Most of my friends sees a 30 minute serie a program and somehow has been a fan of mjlan for 20 years.

Off course it wasnt aimed at united fans or any other football fanatics who's had a long term commitment with another club.

iKnowNothing

Second episode observations:

- Kane's pre-match pep talks are terrible. Seriously, get someone else to do them. Anyone would be better than him - he sounds like a caveman trying to speak modern English from watching repeated episodes of Eastenders.
He just said “.. fecking blah blah.. fecking blah blah..”

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not seen it but the Mourinho TV thing seemed so forced and staged.

Fluctuation0161

I'd agree, he's undoubtedly still a funny and charismatic guy, but I think you can very quickly see how he can alienate players. A good watch but I'm not watching this thinking what if we kept him, he could have done something special.
Agreed.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I can’t mock Kane. He speaks like me when I’m walking the dog in the morning and don’t really want to engage in conversation but don’t want to appear rude either.

“Morning mumble mumble something weather.”

Sweech

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I’m biased obviously as a Spurs supporter but I’ve quite enjoyed the series so far.

Don’t even think it’s debatable that these 3 episodes have been far better than the Man City bore-fest.

Chief123

Yep, Kane comes across as an absolute "yes man" and not very inspirational to say the least. He's got the personality of an extremely boring house brick!
I’d imagine even an extremely exciting house brick is pretty grim viewing :lol:

After getting an idea of his personality, my view is Kane is absolutely not captain material. For Spurs or for england. Great striker, but not leadership material at all. If he was my captain I would not be inspired in the slightest. It’s not even like he can use all his medals to have some credibility.

nemanja15

Thoroughly enjoyed the first three episodes and much more than I thought. Tried to take it for what it is: some good insight into the modern-day workings of a big football club, alongside some obvious PR guff. On the whole, Mourinho comes across very well even if that's one of the documentary's predominant purposes.

The most interesting take-away for me, though, was Jose often imploring players to "be confident". You can't just switch that on or off in high-stakes situations; it has to exude naturally, be coached into players over time by teaching them to make better choices, or be representative of someone's own headspace and life/working environment in the moment. Obviously a lot of his working relationships were in their infancy during what we've seen so far but it strikes me as a fairly limited psychological/high pressure management approach.

Also strikes me as something a few of our squad (Shaw/Martial as usual are the most obvious examples) may have struggled with under him if he offered similar advice. Repeatedly telling someone to be confident or calm doesn't mean a switch is just flicked, problems are solved and the right decisions are made... particularly, in their cases, when you dig them out publicly as well.

FujiVice

Anyone else watching the first episode and losing "7-2 against Bayern wasnt that bad of a result in hindsight."

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I would actually love to see a United fly-on-the-wall series like this. They would make a shitload of money from it. Seeing what goes on in the team talks, dressing room and those convos between Solskjaer and Woodward would be really enlightening.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
Did anyone watch the Sunderland one on Netflix? I binged the first series in a few days and same with the 2nd when it came out, watching behind the scenes to see that large club (Sunderland are still a fairly big club...) and seeing that they're just as disorganised as any company is nice to see. Even though I've never been remotely interested in them I found myself really rooting for them in the end, sure it could be the same with the Spurs one. Looking forward to starting it.

I’m biased obviously as a Spurs supporter but I’ve quite enjoyed the series so far.

Don’t even think it’s debatable that these 3 episodes have been far better than the Man City bore-fest.
I've not gotten around to watching yet but I intend to, but I'm already sure it will be more fun. Watching Jose being mental is always going to be more fun that watching Pep tug himself off.

crossy1686

career ending
I would actually love to see a United fly-on-the-wall series like this. They would make a shitload of money from it. Seeing what goes on in the team talks, dressing room and those convos between Solskjaer and Woodward would be really enlightening.
There’s no point mate. Half of this place would say it’s been heavily edited to make Woodward/Solskjær look good. There would be no winning

SuperiorXI

Kane will never win anything there, needs to get out of Spurs ASAP but from what I've seen in the show he doesn't have much going on in between the ears.

Chief123

Thoroughly enjoyed the first three episodes and much more than I thought. Tried to take it for what it is: some good insight into the modern-day workings of a big football club, alongside some obvious PR guff. On the whole, Mourinho comes across very well even if that's one of the documentary's predominant purposes.

The most interesting take-away for me, though, was Jose often imploring players to "be confident". You can't just switch that on or off in high-stakes situations; it has to exude naturally, be coached into players over time by teaching them to make better choices, or be representative of someone's own headspace and life/working environment in the moment. Obviously a lot of his working relationships were in their infancy during what we've seen so far but it strikes me as a fairly limited psychological/high pressure management approach.

Also strikes me as something a few of our squad (Shaw/Martial as usual are the most obvious examples) may have struggled with under him if he offered similar advice. Repeatedly telling someone to be confident or calm doesn't mean a switch is just flicked, problems are solved and the right decisions are made... particularly, in their cases, when you dig them out publicly as well.
Even though we already know they are humans just like us, it feels weird but also intriuging when you see the conversations of managers with their chairman and players. It literally is like us chatting to each other in real life......for some reason, I've always thought in my head conversations between football club staff are very formal and professional. But in truth its really just lads chatting to each other.

Fluctuation0161

I’d imagine even an extremely exciting house brick is pretty grim viewing :lol:

After getting an idea of his personality, my view is Kane is absolutely not captain material. For Spurs or for england. Great striker, but not leadership material at all. If he was my captain I would not be inspired in the slightest. It’s not even like he can use all his medals to have some credibility.
Ha ha! True.

After the United defeat he spoke out and criticised the team. But it looked to me more like he was sucking up to Jose than anything else. He questioned their character rather than anything constructive. Hardly an inspiration!

Chief123

The chat with him and Jose made me cringe a lot
At one point he said its Chrismas, lets win..
Ok?
Even though it seemed like very brief conversations and brief team talks, I'm pretty sure it was heavily edited to just include a few seconds of the conversation. But yes it does certainly look like a really weird, incohesive pep-talk once edited!

Chief123

After the United defeat he spoke out and criticised the team. But it looked to me more like he was sucking up to Jose than anything else. He questioned their character rather than anything constructive. Hardly an inspiration!
Yeah I found that strange that he just dug up all his teammates as if he absolved himself of any blame. Whats ironic is I've rarely seen him have a good game against us. He certainly didn't play well against us in that game.

RashyForPM

Don’t understand the hate for Kane as a captain to be honest. You don’t have to be a boisterous, batshit crazy leader like Keano (not comparing them obviously) to be a good one. As Mourinho said, he is clearly a leader by example, and while King Eric had a proper personality, he was largely the same. I mean, the CO92 were inspired by simply watching him train! I’m sure even without Kane opening his mouth, people like Tanganga and Parrott or Marcus and Sancho are already absorbing beneficial things, such as his sublime shooting technique and work ethic.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Don’t understand the hate for Kane as a captain to be honest. You don’t have to be a boisterous, batshit crazy leader like Keano (not comparing them obviously) to be a good one. As Mourinho said, he is clearly a leader by example, and while King Eric had a proper personality, he was largely the same. I mean, the CO92 were inspired by simply watching him train! I’m sure even without Kane opening his mouth, people like Tanganga and Parrott or Marcus and Sancho are already absorbing beneficial things, such as his sublime shooting technique and work ethic.
I don't get it either - ok so he may not be the most inspiring public speaker but he is a total professional who leads by example and he also had the balls to call his team mates out so he is clearly a leader in the squad. People love to bash Kane for some reason.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
As a player it must be terrible to have your privacy invaded like that.. Are they getting payed for it at least?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
As a player it must be terrible to have your privacy invaded like that.. Are they getting payed for it at least?
All the players at Spurs get paid a feck-load and it'll be in their contracts that Spurs can allow anything and everything to be filmed.

I'd imagine if a player or staff member felt really strongly about something, that would not be included.

They didn't show any of Poch getting sacked for example, and that would've been the most interesting thing possible.

RashyForPM

I don't get it either - ok so he may not be the most inspiring public speaker but he is a total professional who leads by example and he also had the balls to call his team mates out so he is clearly a leader in the squad. People love to bash Kane for some reason.
I’m not afraid to admit that it’s because we would love him at our club. Imo, if we had Kane next season, we would win the league. Pogba, Rashford, Greenwood and Bruno supplying Kane would literally be unstoppable — as in, MSN levels of unstoppable. The only problem about this is Martial.

Castia

It’s the Jose Mourinho show isn’t it.

Enjoyed the first episodes but I feel it could be better.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
There’s no point mate. Half of this place would say it’s been heavily edited to make Woodward/Solskjær look good. There would be no winning
Yeah you're probably right. It's probably Solskjaer's fault that Messi is touted as going to City. Still it would be great TV watching the likes of Martial and Pogba in their natural environment and how Solskjaer interacts with the team.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
All the players at Spurs get paid a feck-load and it'll be in their contracts that Spurs can allow anything and everything to be filmed.

I'd imagine if a player or staff member felt really strongly about something, that would not be included.

They didn't show any of Poch getting sacked for example, and that would've been the most interesting thing possible.
And as I said before, they showed nothing of the United 2-1 defeat, which was a bit strange considering they showed the Chelsea defeat?

RedDevil@84

Never want to see United becoming a joke like this.
Also would make our already toxic fanbase hate individual players more.
Look how that player wasn't crying after we lost. Shows he doesn't care. That body language confirms my bias and all that.