"Spying" on another team's training sessions...

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I don't blame Lampard for being angry but he should get better at hiding it, it looks like Bielsa got in his head. Also he must have abandoned all his great tactics as a ploy to wrong-foot Leeds as it sounds like they stunk the place out (and this is Elland Road we're talking about, tall order).

Last edited:

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Its unsportsmanlike in my opinion.
Wasting time at goal kicks is unsportsmanlike. Making a 92nd minute sub to run down the clock is unsportsmanlike. Making a cynical foul to stop a counter attack is unsportsmanlike. Going to ground at the slightest touch is unsportsmanlike. There's so much in football which is unsportsmanlike and done to gain the smallest advantage. Why the huge fuss over this?

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
If Bielsa did not think he could use it to gain an advantage he would not even bother. And if he did not think he was breaking some form of conduct he would had his spy show up at the front door Leeds United gear.

cyberman

Wasting time at goal kicks is unsportsmanlike. Making a 92nd minute sub to run down the clock is unsportsmanlike. Making a cynical foul to stop a counter attack is unsportsmanlike. Going to ground at the slightest touch is unsportsmanlike. There's so much in football which is unsportsmanlike and done to gain the smallest advantage. Why the huge fuss over this?
There's levels to it.
Is a leg breaking challenge in the same category as delaying a goal kick? Both are unsportsmanlike.
Spying on the opposition is nowhere near those examples.
There's acceptable and then there's this.
Isn't it illegal to spy anyway? Some sort of industrial espionage?

tieunhilang

With Manchester United's huge amount of money, we should have freaking satellites monitoring all big teams in Europe and make proper adjustments. Damn Woodward being clueless again! :mad:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Dock them points.

What next? People would be fine with spying on the manager's team talks and whatever other chit chat goes inside the changing room etc

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Say what you will about Neville but he absolutely knocked it out the park here.

AgentP

It's unsportsmanlike to spy on other teams especially with the order coming directly from the manager. Lampard has every right to be pissed off at Bielsa. This is being taken lightly because it's just a championship league game. But what if the same happened before a CL final or the World Cup final? Some basic ground rules need to be set by the FA and FIFA to prevent such incidents.

lambnchips

Supports
Tottenham
I don’t see a particular problem with it. The spy would have learnt more on a scouting mission to their previous game and that happens at every game.
I think what it might imply by a manager being upset is that a rival may have found out something they didn't want them to know. Perhaps revealing there is more skullduggery going on.

Clubs are always updating fans with training photos and news on injuries. Makes me wonder just what does Biesla instruct his spies to look out.

lambnchips

Supports
Tottenham
It's unsportsmanlike to spy on other teams especially with the order coming directly from the manager. Lampard has every right to be pissed off at Bielsa. This is being taken lightly because it's just a championship league game. But what if the same happened before a CL final or the World Cup final? Some basic ground rules need to be set by the FA and FIFA to prevent such incidents.
Is it unsportsmanlike for a club to lie about a star player's injury in order to surprise the opposition when the team is unannounced?

AgentP

Is it unsportsmanlike for a club to lie about a star player's injury in order to surprise the opposition when the team is unannounced?
In my opinion, there is a difference between concealing details about your own team and trespassing and spying on an opponent's team.

Cloud7

I didn’t know this was a common thing, but G Nev, Owen etc have been saying on twitter that this has been going on for years. Perhaps people going just a bit overboard in that case?

meamth

I'm more interested with that Jack Clarke lad. Right foot, left foot, dribbles like discounted Martial, but seems so dangerous.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Lampard can feck off with his pious attitude. Bielsa hasn't broken any rules, so he's shown initiative to gain an advantage within the laws of the game, something that players and coaches consistently attempt to do.

Rednotdead

He may not have broken any laws but it's sneaky and underhand and leaves a nasty taste in the mouth.

If this behaviour is accepted as ok where does it end? What's acceptable and what's not? Or should it just be a free-for-all with no holds barred?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
From the BBC...
Head coach Marcelo Bielsa will be "reminded of the integrity and honesty" of Leeds United after he admitted sending a staff member to 'spy' on a Derby County training session.

A Leeds statement said: "Following comments made by Marcelo Bielsa on Friday, the club will look to work with our head coach and his staff to remind them of the integrity and honesty which are the foundations that Leeds United is built on. Our owner Andrea Radrizzani has met with Derby County's owner Mel Morris to formally apologise for Marcelo's actions."

Derbyshire Police removed the man and no arrests were made.

The Football Association has said it is investigating the incident.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46850155

Will be interesting to see what the FA does.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Going to a game is a bit different to sneaking into a training ground and hiding in a bush.
I think you'll find that members of our so called press did exactly that during England games ...then told everyone else in an 'exclusive' in their papers.

Whether it makes that big a difference I'm not sure...

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Do Israeli teams get to employ the Mossad? That'd be unfair.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It is a bit but it's hardly the same level though. The point is that the opposition team shouldn't know anything about the preparation and lineups, and should work off previous games. If they choose to believe a tall tale it's up to them.

Rafaeldagold

This is all so pathetic

Who cares really. It’s just getting extra info & being proactive. Why’s there so much fuss over it- people getting offended & being precious over nothing..

And Keown going on about Biesla ‘breaking a moral code’ This is all so petty- ‘ let’s all get outraged over nothing ‘

Last edited:

RedNed77

Why was he hiding in a bush? Why didnt he just pretend to be a Derby fan trying to watch his team train? Either way, i really dont see the problem and assumed this was the norm rather than something for Lampard to be getting his knickers in a twist over.

Build a wall Lampard and get Leeds to pay for it!

youmeletsfly

I like it. We need more antics in football, it's getting stale.
More of it please. It's enough that the game has become so soft these days, a spy here and there will do it good, spark some rivalries between clubs.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
What did the police say? Could not see any quotes from them on the BBC.
Officers were called at around 11.20am on Thursday, January 10 to reports of a man acting suspiciously on Morley Road, Derby.

A man was found at the perimeter fence of Moor Farm training ground and spoken to. Officers conducted routine checks which were all above board.

Despite media reports, no damage to the fence was found, and the man was stopped outside the grounds.

No arrests were made and the man was sent on his way.