g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Squad Numbers 16/17

PeteManic

Any thoughts yet about squad numbers for next year?

Would love to see Rashford and Lingaard get 1-11 numbers. Martial should be our no.7 but I'm sure he'll be our no.9 now for the foreseeable future.

Miss not seeing the full back numbers as well.

Heardy

Would love to see Rashford and Lingaard get 1-11 numbers. Martial should be our no.7 but I'm sure he'll be our no.9 now for the foreseeable future.

1. De Gea
2. Vacant
3. Vacant
4. Jones
5. Rojo
6. Vacant
7. Memphis
8. Mata
9. Martial
10. Rooney
11. Januzaj

Martial should only be given on the grounds of nostalgia in terms of it being given to flair players historically. No issue with him having number 9, unless we sell Memphis and give Rashford number 9.

People put too much emphasis on squad numbers though in all reality, I mean Januzaj has not exactly made strides since taking on the #11 shirt...

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Numbers 1-11 are cursed. Excepting De Gea and Martial who are obviously stronger than the curse, anyone else who wears those numbers turns to crap.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Smalling should get 4, 5 or 6. 12 looks stupid on him.

FacerTheRed

Only player i see deserve a number change is Smalling for me as he's earned to wear Rio's #5 shirt, he has come long way from being such a liability into a solid defender.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
1. DDG
2. Marquinhos
3. Shaw
4. Smalling
5. Laporte
6. Verratti
7. Retired
8. Griezmann
9. Martial
10. Zlatan
11. Bale
16. Pogba
17. Reus
18. Januzaj
19. Kane
20. Rashford
21. Herrera
23. Johnstone
25. Fosu
28. Schneiderlin
44. Pereira
69. BJ

Get rid of rest.

JoaquinJoaquin

Not taking that serious, When for one you can't even spell his name right and two, he has no right even being in the starting 11, never mind getting a top squad number.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I'd leave them as they are myself, except for maybe Smalling to number 5 if he wants it. New signings can divvy up the rest.

Manny

Grammar Police
feck them, let them earnt it.

Rasford and Lingard has no business wearing 1-11 yet
I agree. We shouldn't be handing out 1-11 shirts that freely.

Rojo and Jones didn't deserve their shirts and looking back, Januzaj shouldn't have been given the number 11.

Martial should have been awarded the 9 shirt of the back of his performances this season.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Would love to see Rashford and Lingaard get 1-11 numbers.
Sure hope not. We prematurely crowned Januzaj with the switch to #11:
"I was really happy to get the number of such a legend and it was a really big deal for me," Adnan told ManUtd.com. "I went to the office and they asked me if I wanted the shirt. I wasn’t going to say no! Straight away I said 'of course' and I didn’t have to think about it. It was a 'yes' straight away.

"It feels different," the 19-year-old continued. "Things have changed because it is a big responsibility to wear the no.11 shirt and having the number of a legend is really big. Ryan has helped me a lot and is like a godfather. He has told me to work hard on the training pitch and the rest is more personal. We talk about football a lot."
And Memphis with the #7 business. Let these kids mature and earn it over a couple good seasons - where they should steady improvement in terms of projecting a key starters for the future. Not everyone has the personality of a Ronaldo to do justice to landmark numbers, and some of them actively wilt under the pressure of increased expectations.

Would actually love a transition to the Bayern system where the youth team players retain their squad numbers even after becoming first team fixtures: like Lahm with 21, Müller with 25 and Schweinsteiger with 31. That has a certain charm to it - let them create their own legacy with those numbers, instead of trying to emulate someone else's. The external signings and big acquisitions can keep the single digits.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
1. DDG
2. Marquinhos
3. Shaw
4. Smalling
5. Laporte
6. Verratti
7. Retired
8. Griezmann
9. Martial
10. Zlatan
11. Bale
16. Pogba
17. Reus
18. Januzaj
19. Kane
20. Rashford
21. Herrera
23. Johnstone
25. Fosu
28. Schneiderlin
44. Pereira
69. BJ

Get rid of rest.
I agree about retiring that No.7 shirt it is cursed. All the recent recipients have gone to crap or were crap anyway.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Sure hope not. We prematurely crowned Januzaj with the switch to #11:

And Memphis with the #7 business. Let these kids mature and earn it over a couple good seasons - where they should steady improvement in terms of projecting a key starters for the future. Not everyone has the personality of a Ronaldo to do justice to landmark numbers, and some of them actively wilt under the pressure of increased expectations.

Would actually love a transition to the Bayern system where the youth team players retain their squad numbers even after becoming first team fixtures: like Lahm with 21, Müller with 25 and Schweinsteiger with 31. That has a certain charm to it - let them create their own legacy with those numbers, instead of trying to emulate someone else's. The external signings and big acquisitions can keep the single digits.
I've always liked this idea too. I wanted Januzaj to keep 44, and I'd like to see Rashford keep 39.

Fosu-Mensah at 51 is pushing it a bit though. Shame he wasn't given one of the many free numbers between 20 and 45.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
That says more about the character of the man than anything else!
I think you have to be careful who you give it to. Memphis has not earned the right. Valencia does not have the personality and Michael Owen it was a bloody joke. Ronaldo was an exceptional talent that you just knew would be big, Memphis is all show physically but no substance at the moment. Beckham was another great talent with the persona to carry the burden of that number. Eric was Eric.

stubie

1. De Gea
2. Varela
3. Willems
4. Jones
5. Smalling
6. Marquinhos
7. Memphis
8. Mata
9. Rashford
10. Martial
11. Januzaj
12. Mensah
13. Romero
14. Lingard
15. Rafa Silva
16. Herrera
17. Blind
18. Pereira
23. Shaw
28. Schneiderlin
31. Schweinsteiger
36. Darmian

SocccerNomics

The only time that giving someone a specific shirt number to make a statement has worked was Ronaldo getting 7 to replace Beckham.

The only reason players appear to care is ego (Memphis, maybe Januzaj) or sentimentality (Schweinsteiger and Shaw).

Smalling is 12 just like Vidic was 15.

I agree that youth players who become regulars deserve to get lower numbers (Rashford, Lingard, Fosu-Mensah) but moving others around is meaningless.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

Id like to see us get rid of squad numbers and just have 1-11 on the pitch again

RedDevil@84

Get the no 7 back from Memphis. Don't give it to anyone, unless we sign Cristiano.

CM

We should just keep the lower kit numbers for the players joining the club in the summer. Hopefully the club will have its shit together by then and the players we target won't be the type who are weighed down by the expectation attached to a particular number.

I don't really see the point in changing youth players' numbers. Lingard hasn't done anything to suggest he'll ever become more than a fringe player in years to come, whilst many of the others only debuted a few months ago. It just seems like a token gesture, like when Valencia and Januzaj took the 7 and 11 shirts.

Norris

1. De Gea
2. Darmian
3. Shaw
4. Jones Hospital
5. Smalling
6. Varane
7. Lucas Moura
8. Mata
9. Martial
10. Rooney
11. Januzaj
13. Romero
14. Mensah
15. Carrick
16. Tielemans
17. Me
18. Young
19. Griezeman
20. Saul
21. Herrera
23. Pereira
25. Valencia
27. Blind
28. Schneiderlin
29. Rashford
31. Schweinsteiger
33. Memphis
35. Lingard

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
1. DDG
2. Marquinhos
3. Shaw
4. Smalling
5. Laporte
6. Verratti
7. Retired
8. Griezmann
9. Martial
10. Zlatan
11. Bale
16. Pogba
17. Reus
18. Januzaj
19. Kane
20. Rashford
21. Herrera
23. Johnstone
25. Fosu
28. Schneiderlin
44. Pereira
69. BJ

Get rid of rest.
Bloody ridiculous... why would we retire the no.7 shirt?

CM

Michael Owen
Valencia in the worst form of his life
Di Maria flopping
Memphis failing to make sufficient impact

It's cursed.
Just wait until Lingard revives it next season :smirk:

marlowe78

Isn't 7 supposed to go to a player who has been with the club for an extended period and has earned it? We've given out 7 recently to Owen, Valencia (though I can understand it a bit, he was very good for us a few seasons ago), Di Maria, and Memphis. Christ!

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The #7 shirt should be put into a stone, whomever removes the shirt from the stone is the chosen one.

wiz4231

The only players I'd give squad numbers to

De Gea
J.Pereira
Darmian
Smalling
Shaw
CBJ
Axel
Olosunde
Williams
Mensah
Bastian
Herrera
Goss
Pereira
Rooney
Januzaj
Wilson
Martial
Rashford

+ 7 new additions
Goal Keeper x 1
Defenders x 2
Midfielders x 1
Forwards x 3

Last edited:

Lurpak99

Buttered up
I remember the 96/97 season:

1 Schmeichel
2 G. Neville - 4 May - 6 Pallister - 3 Irwin
10 Beckham - 16 Keane - 11 Giggs
7 Cantona
20 Solskjær - 9 Cole
And generally that seemed like standard in the early squad number years, that the players expected to be regulars got low numbers unlike today with Yaya Toure 42, Terry 26, Darmian 36 etc.

prath92

The only players I'd give squad numbers to

De Gea
J.Pereira
Darmian
Smalling
Mensah
Shaw
CBJ
Olosunde
Williams
Bastian
Herrera
Goss
Pereira
Rooney
Januzaj
Wilson
Martial
Rashford

+ 7 new additions
Goal Keeper x 1
Defenders x 2
Midfielders x 1
Forwards x 3
:lol:

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Why do people always think they just swap numbers about? Unless the number becomes vacant it's very very rare they change someone's number to give someone else it. The only example I can think of is Fellaini changing to let Schweinsteiger have 31.