SSN: Rooney deal to D.C United agreed in principle

Status
Not open for further replies.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/report-wayne-rooney-serious-talks-signing-d-c-united/
Wayne Rooney could very well be coming to Major League Soccer.

The Washington Post is reporting that the English star is in “serious talks” about joining D.C. United during this summer’s transfer and trade window, which opens on July 10.

The report continues to state that D.C. has a 50 per cent chance of signing the Everton forward, who has grown frustrated with his Premier League club.

Rooney, one of the most recognizable soccer players on the planet, has scored 208 goals in 491 career Premier League contests, played with Everton and Manchester United. He has 10 goals this season, which leads the Toffees, but has not scored since December.

The 32-year-old has also made 119 appearances with the English national team and has scored 53 goals, both of which are all-time marks.

D.C. United made reported attempts to lure Rooney last season, which were unsuccessful. The team is currently tied for last in MLS with a 1-2-4 record. D.C.’s eight goals scored are the second-lowest only to Seattle’s five.

Don’t mind me. Here in NA (Canada), still a treat to see legends of the game even if their past their prime which we otherwise most likely wouldn’t get a chance to see. Waiting on Zlatan and Galaxy to come to Vancouver and have caught Kaka and others in the past. Won’t be any different with Wazza especially being the United legend he is.

...still kind of crazy to think his career started crashing down around the age of 30. Who would’ve thought it’d be that soon when it’s expected to be the prime/peak for most.

Loublaze

ATLien
Pure desperation from DC United. I don't see Rooney lasting in MLS beyond one season and he'll end up like the Gerrard disaster at Galaxy. DC United are terrible at the moment too, just like LA Galaxy (Zlatan cannot save them from how rubbish they are and I dont even see them reaping full financial benefits from his signing).

JMack1234

I hope this happens actually. I loved Rooney so much I don't want to see him at 33 lumbering around the premier league not doing very much due to his legs being long gone.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
It's about his level now. I would go to the US if I were him but not to DC.. I'd choose LA, NY or Miami.

el3mel

So he needed one year in Everton to finally realize he's done at this level of football for years ?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
And people were worried about him 'smashing it' at Everton. Guy has been totally washed up for a number of years now and should have gone to the states/China ages ago.

Flytan

It's about his level now. I would go to the US if I were him but not to DC.. I'd choose LA, NY or Miami.
Are those even options? He may be stuck going to a "lesser city" since those clubs already have the max amount of whatever they're called.

That being said US cities are bridging the gap far more than lots of European ones. Maybe in the eyes of foreigners it still matters but in most other sports the whole location thing is irrelevant now (unless it's your hometown) since everywhere has everything.

ravi2

Imagine if he'd been sold to Chelsea that summer, like Fergie set him up for.. We would have been laughing.
We should have been laughing...instead we got Moyes who gave Rooney that fat contract, got rid of all the backroom staff and 3/4 of our defense in one swoop.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Are those even options? He may be stuck going to a "lesser city" since those clubs already have the max amount of whatever they're called.

That being said US cities are bridging the gap far more than lots of European ones. Maybe in the eyes of foreigners it still matters but in most other sports the whole location thing is irrelevant now (unless it's your hometown) since everywhere has everything.
I'm just saying as a player I'd want to play for those 3 cities. LA and Miami for their weather, NY to a lesser degree but still a massive city. I would also take him here in Toronto as well but I doubt he would want to live here during the winter/fall.

Gazza

I’d actually go watch them again if he joined; if only for the novelty

Having said that I don’t fancy his chances dealing with the heat and humidity here in the summer

peridigm

He’d do well to score 5-10 goals playing in MLS for DC. They haven’t been relevant in 10 years.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
So he needed one year in Everton to finally realize he's done at this level of football for years ?
He was part of the swap to acquire Lukaku and was a nice way to go back to Everton where it all began for him.

steffyr2

Pure desperation from DC United. I don't see Rooney lasting in MLS beyond one season and he'll end up like the Gerrard disaster at Galaxy. DC United are terrible at the moment too, just like LA Galaxy (Zlatan cannot save them from how rubbish they are and I dont even see them reaping full financial benefits from his signing).
'
It's hot and humid in DC in the summer. Rooney wouldn't last any time here.

MrPooni

I imagine he'll show up unfit, score the occasional wonder goal to "silence the critics" before reverting back to the sad, empty shell of a player we all know him to be.

Silver

...still kind of crazy to think his career started crashing down around the age of 30. Who would’ve thought it’d be that soon when it’s expected to be the prime/peak for most.

A lot of people actually. There's always been discussion about Rooney burning out earlier than others because of the level he started at, at the age of 16. He's going to be 33 this year - that's not peak/prime for a striker especially one who's been competing at the top level for the last 17 years.

He'd do well in the MLS I think... way better than Gerrard. And it's probably not going to be for DC United - I mean even the article says there's 50% chance of him joining - that's hardly definitive. I won't be surprised if he goes to Miami as part of the Beckham project. Regardless, he'd do well there despite some of the ridiculous bias against him here.

prateik

He could get away with playing in midfield at that level.

He cant be a starting midfielder in the league.. and he is done as a striker.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
A lot of people actually. There's always been discussion about Rooney burning out earlier than others because of the level he started at, at the age of 16. He's going to be 33 this year - that's not peak/prime for a striker especially one who's been competing at the top level for the last 17 years.

He'd do well in the MLS I think... way better than Gerrard. And it's probably not going to be for DC United - I mean even the article says there's 50% chance of him joining - that's hardly definitive. I won't be surprised if he goes to Miami as part of the Beckham project. Regardless, he'd do well there despite some of the ridiculous bias against him here.
Giggs, Maldini, Baresi, Riva and Totti are clear examples of how flawed your argument is. Most played in a physically tougher league then fatty and they didnt had the luxury of being managed by a genuis who managed him for most of his career and knew exactly how his body worked. FFS even fat Ronaldo had a longer career and his career was littered with injuries and international games commitments

The only difference between Rooney and those legends is that unlike him they took good care of their body. You won't see Giggs or Maldini wasted in some bar. Ah and they were also WC for most of their career

Last edited:

kidbob

Not nearly enough digs at the guy in this thread. I better point out that he's finished and he's basically a disgrace to football at this stage.

Are we ever going to be able to see him appreciated again in our life times? Van Gaal has more defenders on here than one of our best players of recent times. Did he personally screw most of you guys over?

Anyway best of luck to the lad whatever he chooses to do.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Not nearly enough digs at the guy in this thread. I better point out that he's finished and he's basically a disgrace to football at this stage.

Are we ever going to be able to see him appreciated again in our life times? Van Gaal has more defenders on here than one of our best players of recent times. Did he personally screw most of you guys over?

Anyway best of luck to the lad whatever he chooses to do.
Eh? What do you want people to do? Lie and say he’s still a brilliant players and will tear up the MLS? People are just telling it like it is. He’s shot physically and doesn’t have the brains/motivation to change that.

El Zoido

He got a lot of adoration when he left but he’ll be appreciated more when he retires.

I’ve never seen a player decline like he has, not when he still had the desire to play at the top level. Players that decline young usually lose motivation but Rooney has been struggling for the past five years. It’s a unique case and it’s no surprise people keep talking about it.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
5 years too late IMO. But good luck to him.
Agreed. I bear Rooney no ill will as even though he stayed on with us for far too long (on crazy money it must be said) I don't see it as his prerogative to turn down a massive United contract, it was Moyes and Woody's responsibility not to offer ridiculous deals to finished players.

As far as I'm concerned he's a legend of this club and the further away he gets from the PL the sooner I'm left only with the good memories of his time here, of which there are many.

fezzerUTD

The annoying thing is that we are still paying 200k of his 300k a week wages until June 2019.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The annoying thing is that we are still paying 200k of his 300k a week wages until June 2019.
Don't think we are paying any wages, that's why his transfer fee was waived off.

Silver

Giggs, Maldini, Baresi, Riva and Totti are clear examples of how flawed your argument is.
My "argument" was purely about Rooney's career and how there's been discussion about him specifically burning out because of his early start. It wasn't a blanket statement about every player who started playing at 16. Yes, maybe he could have looked after himself better but that doesn't mean he would have remained a top striker like he was for most of his career, especially an explosive one like he was. Since you brought up the players to compare:

- Giggs and Totti are attacking exceptions - there are a handful of attackers who consistently played at the top level for as long as these two did. These two also changed their games accordingly not just because of physical ability but more so because of their footballing intelligence.

- I can't say much about Riva - never saw him play and I prefer not to judge someone on stats alone.

- Baresi and Maldini were defenders - different positions. Different demands. Defenders also tend to last longer than attackers.

Most played in a physically tougher league then fatty
The Italian league is certainly not physically tougher than the EPL.

FFS even fat Ronaldo had a longer career and his career was littered with injuries and international games commitments
Longer career? We don't know yet. Rooney is still playing. But Ronaldo played far fewer games in his whole career than Rooney has till now. Also, Ronaldo's career as a top level striker ended when he left Real Madrid at 31 years of age.

I don't know what you thought my argument was but you certainly have specific agenda against Rooney which doesn't hold up.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Giggs, Maldini, Baresi, Riva and Totti are clear examples of how flawed your argument is. Most played in a physically tougher league then fatty and they didnt had the luxury of being managed by a genuis who managed him for most of his career and knew exactly how his body worked. FFS even fat Ronaldo had a longer career and his career was littered with injuries and international games commitments

The only difference between Rooney and those legends is that unlike him they took good care of their body. You won't see Giggs or Maldini wasted in some bar. Ah and they were also WC for most of their career
Smh you’re a pathetic “fan”.

Most goals for the club - put some respect on his name ffs.

...I guess Brazilian Ronaldo and Ronaldinho are the same level as Rooney because they didn’t take care of their bodies..

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I loved Rooney as a player for us, it was terrible seeing how much he deteriorated at the end of his time here.

If he could go to the US for a few years and play at a decent standard that would be great for him, personally think it's sad to see him languishing at Everton like he did for us too. It's clear he isn't up to it in the PL consistently anymore, and I prefer to remember the player he was and what he achieved with us. Go for it abroad, Wayne.

devilish

My "argument" was purely about Rooney's career and how there's been discussion about him specifically burning out because of his early start. It wasn't a blanket statement about every player who started playing at 16. Yes, maybe he could have looked after himself better but that doesn't mean he would have remained a top striker like he was for most of his career, especially an explosive one like he was. Since you brought up the players to compare:

- Giggs and Totti are attacking exceptions - there are a handful of attackers who consistently played at the top level for as long as these two did. These two also changed their games accordingly not just because of physical ability but more so because of their footballing intelligence.

- I can't say much about Riva - never saw him play and I prefer not to judge someone on stats alone.

- Baresi and Maldini were defenders - different positions. Different demands. Defenders also tend to last longer than attackers.

The Italian league is certainly not physically tougher than the EPL.

Longer career? We don't know yet. Rooney is still playing. But Ronaldo played far fewer games in his whole career than Rooney has till now. Also, Ronaldo's career as a top level striker ended when he left Real Madrid at 31 years of age.

I don't know what you thought my argument was but you certainly have specific agenda against Rooney which doesn't hold up.
The serie A of the 80/90s was far more meaner and defensive minded than today's EPL. The likes of Gentile, vierchowood and kohler weren't players you want to mess with. You dont need to be 6ft3 or dive in tackles like some dumb phil neville to leave a painful mark. Just ask the likes of van basten who got ruined by the serie a or batistuta who can barely walk these days because of the punishment he got during his time in the seria a. Not to forget the likes of Rush or bergkamp who were rubbish there simply because the serie a of the time conceded no space for forwards to breathe let alone score goals

Rooney was blessed. He barely ever had any long term injuries, he was basically managed by 2 men (one was a genius) who knew his body well and his national side kept losing out which means he could focus his energy just on his club career. He also played at a time when techically gifted plauers are protected by refs. The likes of Ronaldo barely had any break at all for 3 consecutive years, they were poorly managed by a number of idiots and picked a crippling injury early on in his career. Rooney's burnout is solely down not taking good care of himself and its also the reason why his time as WC is shockingly short.

Last edited:

devilish

Smh you’re a pathetic “fan”.

Most goals for the club - put some respect on his name ffs.

...I guess Brazilian Ronaldo and Ronaldinho are the same level as Rooney because they didn’t take care of their bodies..
Being a 'fan' doesn't mean being stupid. PS i a manchester united supporter not a Rooney fan. Im not some Rooney version of a bieberer

I also explained the Ronaldo thing in previous posts.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Being a 'fan' doesn't mean being stupid. PS i a manchester united supporter not a Rooney fan. Im not some Rooney version of a bieberer

I also explained the Ronaldo thing in previous posts.
Yea I didn’t say you get on my knees for him.

He’s a footballing legend and one of the top strikers in the EPL for the past decade+...don’t be dumb.

devilish

Yea I didn’t say you get on my knees for him.

He’s a footballing legend and one of the top strikers in the EPL for the past decade+...don’t be dumb.
For all the talent he had he's been disappointing. His time as a WC player was shockingly short and he was finished by age 30-31. The reason for all this is he didnt took care of himself

Id say the same for maradona who i think he is the best player the world had ever seen. God gave us eyes to see and a brain to think for a reason. Unlike Rooney though maradona was the leader and lead singer for both club and country

Being a top striker at a juggernaut like United with a legend like SAf in command is hardly an achievement. FFS even Andy cole could do that. Rooney could be way better then that and he threw it away

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.