SSN: Rooney deal to D.C United agreed in principle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renegade

had a little pop at Everton insinuating it was their decision to get rid
Footballers are funny sometimes haha.
It’s okay for him to want to leave them all those years ago, but not okay for them to want him to leave now. They probably wouldn’t mind keeping him around if his wages matches his output on the pitch. Doubt he’d want to stay at Everton if his wages weren’t high enough though.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Didn't he score ten league goals last season? Based on that he should do fine in the mediocre MLS

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Didn't he score ten league goals last season? Based on that he should do fine in the mediocre MLS
For the last four or so years he's only really been good when he's had a fire started under him and he feels he has something to prove. He did it a couple of times with us, notably in his last season when Mourinho started dropping him and he came back and played really well for five or six games before falling away again. Then he started the season for Everton very well as he wanted to prove he still had it, before again falling away badly.

I'm not sure he has the fire in his belly to even start well for DC. Maybe for a couple of games, but I doubt it takes long before he looks quite average even in the MLS.

Hopefully he proves me wrong. He gave a lot for this club and provided plenty of amazing memories for us all, so despite how it ended I want him to do well.

Hoof the ball

I hope we don't get angry rival fans taking to the streets claiming the right to "open carry" a Wayne Rooney in defence of their wayne rooney proclamation rights!

Free at last Free at last!
Thank god almighty...
he's free of Everton at last!
The fact the mayor is named Bowser cracks me up. She must have a tough shell in that job.

Loublaze

ATLien
Apparently he's looking at a mansion in the same neighborhood where the Obamas and Ivanka Trump reside.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Screw the ungrateful people having a sly dig at his move. Not many fan bases take the piss out of their all time top scorer who won literally ever club trophy.

I guess it's all apart of the new cool United fan that bash our own and are entitled to an embarrassing degree.

Good luck Rooney. Manchester United legend.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
I read an article today that reported a survey conducted which showed that most people in Washington have no idea who he is.

Loublaze

ATLien
I read an article today that reported a survey conducted which showed that most people in Washington have no idea who he is.
That probably works best for him since he likes to shy away from the spotlight off the pitch. He stated in an interview that he wouldn't have considered moving his family to NY or LA, and that he never wanted to live in London either. He visited Washington and thinks it will suit them just fine.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Screw the ungrateful people having a sly dig at his move. Not many fan bases take the piss out of their all time top scorer who won literally ever club trophy.

I guess it's all apart of the new cool United fan that bash our own and are entitled to an embarrassing degree.

He publicly threatened to join City unless we paid him more, lying and claiming it was about our transfer policy. He's no fecking saint worthy of protection from criticism.

Tosicsleftpeg

He was great for us but for some reason I just don't have the same affinity for him as I do for other ex players like Ferdinand, Ronnie etc I can't put my finger on why.

trafford1980

He was great for us but for some reason I just don't have the same affinity for him as I do for other ex players like Ferdinand, Ronnie etc I can't put my finger on why.
Part of it is probably the Harvey Dent theory. You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. The stars should have aligned when Fergie retired, and Rooney should have left in the Summer of ’13.

Also, look at a list of commonly agreed upon club legends, they’re mostly Manchester United supporters. And if they weren’t when they joined the club then they certainly are now. The likes of Cantona, Ferdinand and Solskjaer have incredible goodwill from the fans. It’s because the club changed them, we as supporters changed them. Manchester United left a mark. Hell, even Dimitar Berbatov still swans about in a United club shirt, with a popped-collar and a fat cigar, generally looking hipster cool.

Also, some of our supporters are young enough to have seen more of Moyes/LVG/Mourinho era than the player who shone for Fergie. That feeling of witnessing Rooney’s hattrick against Fenerbahce can never be replicated by watching an MUTV or YouTube edit. Likewise his Euro 2004 introduction. Some supporters currently in their teenage years only ever saw over-the-hill Wayne!

So I’m not dismissing his contributions to our success. He was elite, and arguably (a distant) 3rd behind Fergie and Giggs on a list of our greatest contributers through this Premier League era. Appreciation and affinity aren’t mutually exclusive though. I feel the same way about Rooney as you do. I can acknowledge his work whilst not adoring him the same way I do others who may have contributed less but have shown that we (Manchester United) mean more.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveJ

manutddjw

Well said sir.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
While rooney makes his debut the states, Coleen is on holiday in Portugal
I think they have a deal. He can sleep with whoever he wants and she can party all her life. I can't blame her. Its hard to be loyal with a serial adulterer.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Rooney was an exceptional player. However he held the club at ransom, he never bothered to take care of neither his body nor his image (ie sleeping with prostitutes, getting wasted etc) and he put money above his allegiance towards the club. His snipes at Everton are not surprising at all. This guy seem to think that clubs owes him a living.

Talent can get you so far. Then one need to make that extra effort to be remembered as a professional and he need to make even more effort to be remembered as a club legend. Rooney's stats doesn't lie. We're talking about a player who scored tons of goals for us. His antics outside the pitch though are also true though. Hence why he will never be remembered as fondly as true professionals such as Scholes or Sir Bobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.