SSN: Rooney deal to D.C United agreed in principle

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZlatanEra

He just didnt taken care carefully of his body. Load of excuse after excuse after excuse flying around for Rooney. Ronaldo, Messi played almost if not more matches than him yet they are still here as the best. Funny that Rooney being touted as the same future as former duo in their tennage years. Just admit it, he just didnt taken care of his body as much as others regardless of burnout, injuries, etc.
No doubt Ronaldo or Messi have the odd drink from time to time too, if they don't they're incredibly boring humans. Rooney is the all time top scorer of his club and country. Only Ronaldo and Messi ironically in the modern era are the only other attackers to hold that achievement. So Rooney's career is on a similar parallel to Ronaldo and Messi. Not bad for someone who didn't take care of himself.

When you have an all action, aggressive style of play since 16 it would obviously take it's toll 10-15 years on, which it did, but Rooney mellowing, not having the same fire and aggression in him in his prime led him to decline aswell as burnout. Ronaldo and Messi have barely tracked back in their career. Same with Ibra who's longevity has been mentioned. Ronaldo is full on a striker now which covers up the cracks of his decline as a winger when he was in his prime as a complete player. Messi is still relatively young, only turned 31 however he's rather dodgy as he used HGH to get where he is now, such a small bloke who gets tackled regularly never gets injured, managed under Pep in his best period who's had a scandal with doping before, Messi is the GOAT however there's a dodgy spin to it, there's a chance he could've doped at a period. As for Zlatan he's been shite for LA Galaxy so far. Rooney's decline isn't as embarrassing as people think

poleglass red

No doubt Ronaldo or Messi have the odd drink from time to time too, if they don't they're incredibly boring humans. Rooney is the all time top scorer of his club and country. Only Ronaldo and Messi ironically in the modern era are the only other attackers to hold that achievement. So Rooney's career is on a similar parallel to Ronaldo and Messi. Not bad for someone who didn't take care of himself.

When you have an all action, aggressive style of play since 16 it would obviously take it's toll 10-15 years on, which it did, but Rooney mellowing, not having the same fire and aggression in him in his prime led him to decline aswell as burnout. Ronaldo and Messi have barely tracked back in their career. Same with Ibra who's longevity has been mentioned. Ronaldo is full on a striker now which covers up the cracks of his decline as a winger when he was in his prime as a complete player. Messi is still relatively young, only turned 31 however he's rather dodgy as he used HGH to get where he is now, such a small bloke who gets tackled regularly never gets injured, managed under Pep in his best period who's had a scandal with doping before, Messi is the GOAT however there's a dodgy spin to it, there's a chance he could've doped at a period. As for Zlatan he's been shite for LA Galaxy so far. Rooney's decline isn't as embarrassing as people think
excellent post, my thoughts exactly.Rooney's all action style has been a huge factor in his decline. We saw first hand with Ronaldo and Ibra how little running they did once they lost possession or in tracking back. He's played his whole career in the PL. In his prime he was top class.

RRCE

Good luck, Wayne. He was a great player for United over an extended period of time. I hope he finds some good form and glory in the twilight of his playing careeer.

clarkydaz

Ronaldo refuses to sip fizzy pop.

Rooney was a striker for LVG and lasted half a season. (banging 50 goals every year masks Ronaldo's deficiencies as a showpony winger?)

Turns out Rooney wasn't good enough for a shit Everton, and were happy for him to be gone after a season

Loublaze

ATLien
The league is that good US football has regressed.

Says it all really
You mean the same way the PL is considered by many as the best league in the world yet England haven't won a knockout game in 12 years and haven't won anything since Harold Wilson was PM? If you don't watch the league you have no idea how its developed and improved over the years and therefore you can't form a fair assessment.

TheReligion

Abusive
You mean the same way the PL is considered by many as the best league in the world yet England haven't won a knockout game in 12 years and haven't won anything since Harold Wilson was PM? If you don't watch the league you have no idea how its developed and improved over the years and therefore you can't form a fair assessment.
I know that the US aren't at the WC but Panama are..

Terribly embarrassing

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Rooney is a miracle of human biology, chronic smoking and drinking had no effect at all on his fitness and it was actually his high energy play style and early start to his career. Don't forget his genes which meant he had to always work harder than normal to stay fit (forget about the cigs and booze, those don't matter).

Robertd0803

I love how he is getting a second round of farewells on social media again this summer.

nikineil

Schweinsteiger joined Chicago Fire when they were in an upswing form wise but that didn't last very long. He's a great player anyway and injuries just did him in. Rooney hasn't taken care of himself. I doubt he'll have a huge impact on a very poor DC side that needs a lot more than a shiny new stadium and a washed-up player way past his best by date
I entirely agree with your arguments about the MLS here. Terrible move by an already struggling DC side. This will not end well. Somebody like a Zlatan has not uprooted any trees at LA Galaxy. Atlanta United is totally fuego!

Loublaze

ATLien
I know that the US aren't at the WC but Panama are..

Terribly embarrassing
Not more embarrassing than 50 years of failure by a deluded country who think they belong in the pantheon of football gods. You claim to have invented the game but have been playing catch up ever since it took its modern form, which by the way was polished by Scots with their invention of the passing and possession game. If not for the them association football would probably resemble rugby more and be closer to its wild origins. Its no wonder the greatest managers in English and British history were Scots, Sir Alex, Sir Matt Busby and Jock Stien who was the first manager to win a European trophy with a British club in 1967 with Celtic. The Celtic players after the match when asked how how proud they were of being the first British team to achieve the feat made sure it was known they did it for Scotland, led by captain Billy McNiel.

I entirely agree with your arguments about the MLS here. Terrible move by an already struggling DC side. This will not end well. Somebody like a Zlatan has not uprooted any trees at LA Galaxy. Atlanta United is totally fuego!
Finally some sense!

peridigm

DC temp is going to be 100 with 70+ dew point this weekend. Welcome to America Wayne.

littleman

Looks like Everton don't want him

SAF was prescient in assessing Rooney's decline. That he stayed for almost 5 more years and threw his weight around off the pitch while being awful on the pitch was one of the biggest markers of United's decline.

TheReligion

Abusive
Not more embarrassing than 50 years of failure by a deluded country who think they belong in the pantheon of football gods. You claim to have invented the game but have been playing catch up ever since it took its modern form, which by the way was polished by Scots with their invention of the passing and possession game. If not for the them association football would probably resemble rugby more and be closer to its wild origins. Its no wonder the greatest managers in English and British history were Scots, Sir Alex, Sir Matt Busby and Jock Stien who was the first manager to win a European trophy with a British club in 1967 with Celtic. The Celtic players after the match when asked how how proud they were of being the first British team to achieve the feat made sure it was known they did it for Scotland, led by captain Billy McNiel.

Finally some sense!
What an epic meltdown! Yes! :lol:

vangagal

Rooney is a miracle of human biology, chronic smoking and drinking had no effect at all on his fitness and it was actually his high energy play style and early start to his career. Don't forget his genes which meant he had to always work harder than normal to stay fit (forget about the cigs and booze, those don't matter).
:lol::lol::lol:

TheReligion

Abusive
You're welcome! :devil:
I actually do think the MLS has improved. I do watch a bit. Like the look of Barco and Atlanta in general. Still I'm disappointed with your national team and genuinely thought you'd be on the rise given the sports popularity and population you have to choose from.

Where do you think things have gone wrong?

Loublaze

ATLien
I actually do think the MLS has improved. I do watch a bit. Like the look of Barco and Atlanta in general. Still I'm disappointed with your national team and genuinely thought you'd be on the rise given the sports popularity and population you have to choose from.

Where do you think things have gone wrong?
I thought so as well! Still scratching my head at how they completely shit the bed. The federation has been complacent since Klinsmann was given the sack. Rehiring Arena was a mistake IMO. We went back to a manager who reached his ceiling with the NT and had nothing new to offer. Arena heavily depended on the old guard and they weren't good enough anymore. Klinsmann failed but I feel the next permanent appointment should come out of Europe or South America. It all starts at grassroots though. Football is not accessible for those in poor neighborhoods and we're really not tapping into that talent pool. The main way most kids get to play is through school and schools coaches are not really qualified to develop them the right way. In other words we have too many people not doing the right jobs. Clubs need to get deeper into development during those crucial years but at the moment that option is very expensive and time consuming for parents.

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

Finally some sense!
What about Brendan Mc rodgers ? Yes i know he's Irish. Also you spelt Stein wrong.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I thought so as well! Still scratching my head at how they completely shit the bed. The federation has been complacent since Klinsmann was given the sack. Rehiring Arena was a mistake IMO. We went back to a manager who reached his ceiling with the NT and had nothing new to offer. Arena heavily depended on the old guard and they weren't good enough anymore. Klinsmann failed but I feel the next permanent appointment should come out of Europe or South America. It all starts at grassroots though. Football is not accessible for those in poor neighborhoods and we're really not tapping into that talent pool. The main way most kids get to play is through school and schools coaches are not really qualified to develop them the right way. In other words we have too many people not doing the right jobs. Clubs need to get deeper into development during those crucial years but at the moment that option is very expensive and time consuming for parents.
This hits the nail on the head. I've posted in the MLS thread a few times, and it doesn't make for pleasant reading. The fact is, the system here is completely fecked. I've had the misfortune of being around youth soccer in this country for the last ten years, and run one of the biggest indoor facilities in the country. The entire system is pay to play, and it's fecking expensive. The vast majority of coaches are unqualified, and many national organizations, which are the only avenue to the game for hoardes of youth, such as AYSO, are volunteer run by parents. Many of whom have NEVER even played the game. It's shocking. "Quality" coaching comes in travel clubs, which cost thousands and thousands a year. It's preposterous.

Meanwhile there is a gigantic latino population here, producing great players, who are almost always playing outside of the officially sanctioned national leagues in small inter city organizations run solely by Latinos. It's disenfranchising. And appalling. Youth soccer here is just a money making enterprise. Even our local MLS club engages in it. I've agreed with pretty much everything you say in this thread. But I do have to say that my opinion of MLS is very, very poor. It's not a competition I take even vaguely seriously, and it is a million miles away from being internationally relevant. Any player like Zlatan, Rooney etc that come out here, come for the last paycheck, and the brand exposure. It's a nice comfy, and convenient country to live in. Where they are famous, but not mobbed. Pretty much perfect for aging stars. Most of the fans don't even care if they do well or not. And I doubt the players do either. Why would they? This level of football is a joke to them, after the careers they've had. A farewell, novelty tour. The fans will still come out and fill the stadium every time Zlatan or Wayne comes to town, and coo with delight when they do a pirouette. Half of them won't go back to another game for a few months or more, until the next big star comes into town.

clarkydaz

just seen him on sky sports leanest he has been in years, saying how he has been doing training in preparation. But unfair genes, nature etc

SillyUsername

There’s no denying that Rooney could’ve done more to look after himself but I think describing him as a “chronic” smoker is a bit of a stretch.

MAME DIOUF 32

I might see if any bookies will give me odds on DC paying up his contract by July 2020. He'll be beyond useless by then.

peridigm

I’ve not been following this. Has he signed? If so, when does he start playing?

el3mel

I’ve not been following this. Has he signed? If so, when does he start playing?
Yes. Apparently their next game is on Thursday against Zlatan's LA Galaxy. Don't know if he will feature or not though. Next game will be on Sunday July 15th.

He signed 3.5 years contract.

peridigm

Yes. Apparently their next game is on Thursday against Zlatan's LA Galaxy. Don't know if he will feature or not though. Next game will be on Sunday.

He signed 3.5 years contract.
Mind boggling decision by DC and MLS.

Loublaze

ATLien
I'll be more than happy to see him live again when he visits Atlanta

There’s no denying that Rooney could’ve done more to look after himself but I think describing him as a “chronic” smoker is a bit of a stretch.
He's been pictured smoking in public quite a few times and he didn't seem to care. Its probably safe to say he's a regular smoker

Loublaze

ATLien
This hits the nail on the head. I've posted in the MLS thread a few times, and it doesn't make for pleasant reading. The fact is, the system here is completely fecked. I've had the misfortune of being around youth soccer in this country for the last ten years, and run one of the biggest indoor facilities in the country. The entire system is pay to play, and it's fecking expensive. The vast majority of coaches are unqualified, and many national organizations, which are the only avenue to the game for hoardes of youth, such as AYSO, are volunteer run by parents. Many of whom have NEVER even played the game. It's shocking. "Quality" coaching comes in travel clubs, which cost thousands and thousands a year. It's preposterous.

Meanwhile there is a gigantic latino population here, producing great players, who are almost always playing outside of the officially sanctioned national leagues in small inter city organizations run solely by Latinos. It's disenfranchising. And appalling. Youth soccer here is just a money making enterprise. Even our local MLS club engages in it. I've agreed with pretty much everything you say in this thread. But I do have to say that my opinion of MLS is very, very poor. It's not a competition I take even vaguely seriously, and it is a million miles away from being internationally relevant. Any player like Zlatan, Rooney etc that come out here, come for the last paycheck, and the brand exposure. It's a nice comfy, and convenient country to live in. Where they are famous, but not mobbed. Pretty much perfect for aging stars. Most of the fans don't even care if they do well or not. And I doubt the players do either. Why would they? This level of football is a joke to them, after the careers they've had. A farewell, novelty tour. The fans will still come out and fill the stadium every time Zlatan or Wayne comes to town, and coo with delight when they do a pirouette. Half of them won't go back to another game for a few months or more, until the next big star comes into town.
Great post, I don't know how I missed it. Which indoor facility do you run? One of my closest friends used to run an indoor complex down in Marietta, GA. The money making machine has to keep going so I don't see any of the real issues we've risen being addressed for the foreseeable future, unfortunately. There's so much that can be achieved in this great country. As for the last bit, Atlanta United is filling up stadiums without big aging stars in its squad and im proud of that. We just had 72k at the Mercedez Benz when Orlando City came into town Saturday, more than any of the world cup last 16 games played that day! I wouldn't mind seeing Wayne play here but im glad clubs like Atlanta and others are taking a progressive approach to player recruitment.

Djemba-Djemba

Finally some sense!
Why do you support an English football club when you have a bizarre hatred of England? You're so fecking bitter :lol:

Just glory hunting?

red thru&thru

Why we keep talking about Wazza in here? Should this be moved to another section of the forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.