Television Star Trek

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Its not an Amazon show. Its made by CBS. I believe its available on Prime in foreign countries.

As for Akiva, he has clearly learned from his mistakes in Discovery since the Picard pilot is light years better than anything else I've seen on Discovery.
The fight scenes were laughable though.

George Owen

You don't think a girl can vanquish 10 professional alien assassins ?
If they stay still, and reacts in slow motion, of curse it's possible. :D

Aside from Stewart, who elevates the show by himself, it's not like it is a master piece.

They even copied the same characters from Discovery.

Virtually identical.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If they stay still, and reacts in slow motion, of curse it's possible. :D

Aside from Stewart, who elevates the show by himself, it's not like it is a master piece.

They even copied the same characters from Discovery.
Virtually identical.
Long ways to go but so far its exceeding expectations. On the filmmaking front it also checks all the critical boxes - story, cinematography, casting, production design, adherence to canon, appropriate balance between CGI and real shots etc.

Last edited:

George Owen

Long ways to go but so far its exceeding expectations and is far better than anything else I've seen of late. On the filmmaking front it also checks all the critical boxes - story, cinematography, casting, production design, adherence to canon, appropriate balance between CGI and real shots etc.
Fair enough. At least for me, who only have watched the movies and it's not even remotely in deep knowledge of the old Star trek tv shows, I'm enjoying Picard just as much as I enjoyed Discovery. Both have good production values, etc.

Dante

Average bang
Fair enough. At least for me, who only have watched the movies and it's not even remotely in deep knowledge of the old Star trek tv shows, I'm enjoying Picard just as much as I enjoyed Discovery. Both have good production values, etc.
I've liked both Discovery and Picard. They're very similar shows. You can really tell that the writers and creators are drawn from the same pool of people.

But if anything, Picard is even more unfaithful to TNG/DS9 sensibilities than Discovery was.

It's funny seeing the mental gymnastics people are doing to justify why Picard is somehow different. The only material change is the fact that Patrick Stewart is in the lead role to give viewers a bit of a nostalgia bump.

Last edited:

NWRed

Long ways to go but so far its exceeding expectations. On the filmmaking front it also checks all the critical boxes - story, cinematography, casting, production design, adherence to canon, appropriate balance between CGI and real shots etc.
This is what is bothering me about it.

The premise of the show is that there is a secret Romulan organisation within the Tal Shia called that have prevented the Romulans from persuing artifical intelligence in any form, including androids. However in the TNG episode 'The Defector' Admiral Jarok says to Data in ten forward that he knows a host of romulan cyberneticists who would love to be as close to Data as Jarok was.

Not really canon but I also have a problem with how human the Romulans look and act. I know they've basically lost their empire and so they wouldn't be as arrogant etc but it still feels far too much.

I know there have been other inconsistencies in Star Trek but you'd have thought they'd have checked whether the entire premise of the show had ever been contradicted. It just goes to show that the writers aren't true fans of the show and I don't know how long these current incarnations of Star Trek can last when it's being created by people who don't know enough about it. It's why Enterprise failed and why it is not liked by many fans of Star Trek (although I'm not one of them).

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This is what is bothering me about it.

The premise of the show is that there is a secret Romulan organisation within the Tal Shia called that have prevented the Romulans from persuing artifical intelligence in any form, including androids. However in the TNG episode 'The Defector' Admiral Jarok says to Data in ten forward that he knows a host of romulan cyberneticists who would love to be as close to Data as Jarok was.

Not really canon but I also have a problem with how human the Romulans look and act. I know they've basically lost their empire and so they wouldn't be as arrogant etc but it still feels far too much.

I know there have been other inconsistencies in Star Trek but you'd have thought they'd have checked whether the entire premise of the show had ever been contradicted. It just goes to show that the writers aren't true fans of the show and I don't know how long these current incarnations of Star Trek can last when it's being created by people who don't know enough about it. It's why Enterprise failed and why it is not liked by many fans of Star Trek (although I'm not one of them).
Enterprise didn’t really fail. It was turned off after 4 seasons because of some political issues going on behind the scenes at the studio at the time. Season is was pretty average, at which point they sacked the writers and brought in new ones. Season two was better and 3&4 were very good.

parkthebuslads

Hmm...Personally I think the nostalgia has started to subside.

I'm not loving Patrick Stewart/JLP in this. Whilst I appreciate Picard is older now, he feels a little off, he's lost some of the backbone I associate with the character and has developed an irritating habit of delivering lines with forced gravitas.

Additionally, although I understand that TV has changed since classic Trek, Picard seems to have a similar lack of interest in respecting the franchise as DISCO.

NWRed

Enterprise didn’t really fail. It was turned off after 4 seasons because of some political issues going on behind the scenes at the studio at the time. Season is was pretty average, at which point they sacked the writers and brought in new ones. Season two was better and 3&4 were very good.
It was panned at the time by Star Trek fans from what I remember and viewing figures were poor on the whole.

For me the first two series were written by people who didn't really know Star Trek, so although I can still watch them and enjoy it but it's frustrating knowing it could have been so much better. As for the third series, individually most of the episodes were great but conceptually there were huge problems such as the sudden appearance of photon torpedos and this expanse which is close enough to earth for them to reach at warp 5 but never mentioned in any other series etc. The fourth series was what it always should have been, although the die was already cast at that point.

Amir

I saw documentaries on Enterprise with the creators discussing its problems, which included the fact that Star Trek shows have been on for years before that (TNG, DSP, Voyager) and that everyone - viewers and creators/writers - needed a break, but the network insisted on another show.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Picard is great. I was never a huge Trekkie. Watched plenty of TNG growing up, but never followed it all the way to the end. So whether it’s canon or inconsistent, I couldn’t care less. I just think it’s an intriguing, well acted show with superb production quality, that’s a great watch for someone who loves science fiction. Can’t wait for the next episode. This is really well paced.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I don't like this change to the federation and future humanity. One of the charms of Star Trek was that humanity was at its peak in philosophy, caring and endeavour. Now its just same shit as the present but in the future.

Hammerfell

I don't like this change to the federation and future humanity. One of the charms of Star Trek was that humanity was at its peak in philosophy, caring and endeavour. Now its just same shit as the present but in the future.
Humanity and the Federation has always had its shady side in Star Trek, this isn't new or unusual.

NWRed

I saw documentaries on Enterprise with the creators discussing its problems, which included the fact that Star Trek shows have been on for years before that (TNG, DSP, Voyager) and that everyone - viewers and creators/writers - needed a break, but the network insisted on another show.
Sounds like the same interviews from the bluray extras.

There is an interview on there with the writer of the Enterprise Borg episode who said he got the idea because the first time the Borg are seen in Star Trek they are heading towards earth (end of season 3) and he wanted to explore why. Fine, except that wasn't the first time the Borg appeared in Star Trek, that was when Q throws the enterprise into the path of a cube in season 2. Enterprise really had no chance with fans when the writers haven't watched entire episodes.

NWRed

It was only ever the crew of the Enterprise who were whiter than white. There are loads of examples of humans who are more morally ambiguous, like Section 31, Admiral Kennelly in the first episode with Ensign Ro, Riker's first commanding officer from the Pegasus to name a few.

Bobski

None of the characters characters around Picard are doing much for me yet, with the exception of the Romulan pair, some chemistry there.

Raffi was an awkward fit, hopefully the writing improves for her moving forward. I have this feeling that by the end of this season I will end up thinking they would have been better off not involving the Picard character.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
None of the characters characters around Picard are doing much for me yet, with the exception of the Romulan pair, some chemistry there.

Raffi was an awkward fit, hopefully the writing improves for her moving forward. I have this feeling that by the end of this season I will end up thinking they would have been better off not involving the Picard character.
Not a big fan of Raffi or the bearded guy on the Picard ship so far either. The blonde doctor is neutral and everything going on at the reclamation cube is very interesting imo.

Bobski

Not a big fan of Raffi or the bearded guy on the Picard ship so far either. The blonde doctor is neutral and everything going on at the reclamation cube is very interesting imo.
Ths ship Captain is in one of those awful Netflix sci fi shows, groaned at first sight.

Agree that the Cube is the strongest part of the show so far, developing story without the immediate involvement of Picard. Was getting a strong GOT vibe between the brother and sister Romulan pair, not something I would have expected in Star Trek.

George Owen

I thought I was dreaming for a moment when the captain started talking "Chilean" to himself, but then I googled the guy, and yep, he is Chilean. Hilarious.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Interesting episode. Looks like the entire season story arc is about to fully kick off now that seven has arrived. I believe Will Riker and Deanna Troy are going to make an appearance as well.

Bobski

That episode felt like a knock off Firefly tribute, without any of the humour, charm or wit.

The Picard scenes are dreary, they have something interesting with the Borg project, but Picard and his crew are lumbering along, with little spark.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
That episode felt like a knock off Firefly tribute, without any of the humour, charm or wit.

The Picard scenes are dreary, they have something interesting with the Borg project, but Picard and his crew are lumbering along, with little spark.
This is probably because the audience haven't really gotten much of a chance to connect with the individual crew members (other than the Rafi scenes in the desert which were terrible imo)

The Elnor character on the other hand looks very promising

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Episode 3 was all over the place, especially the Rafi character. Watch it back again and see just how many times in the space of that sequence she changes her mind and facial expressions, it was absolutely terrible writing. Also Ep 4 was incredibly predictable all around, especially what was going to happen the minute the captain said Picard wanted to go to that planet.

I'm kind of liking it, but probably more because of nostalgia. Picard and his crew are completely dull (that captain and the hologram are just ridiculous caricatures) but the Romulan/Borg stuff is interesting. The fight scenes are pretty fun to watch too, the head being chopped off was a genuine surprise for ST.