Television Star Trek

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I love the Aussie Samurai. Hope to see more of him.
Yup. Rios and Elnor so far makes a decent crew.

Raffi's backstory didn't interest me that much, but like in every TV series, characters must develop over seasons and now when Picard found Soji things are set up finally for something bigger than just finding a girl in Borg cube. Hopefully that means new worlds to be explored.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yup. Rios and Elnor so far makes a decent crew.

Raffi's backstory didn't interest me that much, but like in every TV series, characters must develop over seasons and now when Picard found Soji things are set up finally for something bigger than just finding a girl in Borg cube. Hopefully that means new worlds to be explored.
True. In TNG, I never cared for the likes of Wesley or Beverly Crusher, Guinan, Deanna Troy et al., but collectively they managed to fill out a pretty good cast which made the series work for audiences. The Rafi character is very much in the same category here.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
This last episode was fantastic. I’m not really understanding the naysayers tbh, maybe it’s a Star Trek purist thing. But as someone who enjoyed TNG and the films, I am really enjoying this alternative look at what happened to Picard and the crew as they got older. It adds so much more context and fabric to the Star Trek world, making some characters I grew up with so much more human and relatable.

Great show, loving it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
This last episode was fantastic. I’m not really understanding the naysayers tbh, maybe it’s a Star Trek purist thing. But as someone who enjoyed TNG and the films, I am really enjoying this alternative look at what happened to Picard and the crew as they got older. It adds so much more context and fabric to the Star Trek world, making some characters I grew up with so much more human and relatable.

Great show, loving it.
Agreed. Was a fantastic episode. Can’t wait til the next one.

Nialler

Alex's Dad
I'm enjoying it so far, first couple of episodes were very good, slight slump thereafter but really enjoyed episode 7. Its all starting to come together. Great to see the characters of Riker, Troi and Seven of Nine back on screen.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Zhat Vash lady vs Qowat Milar (Elnor)... this conflict have so much potential and that fight could last for just a bit longer.

Something's telling me Riker's daughter will be built into a more serious character in next seasons or series... perhaps starfleet officer with Soji as a new Data type character in upcoming Str Trek productions... who knows ? There's so many paths they can take.

ManchesterYoda

For the past few weeks I've been re-watching all of Star Trek. Started with TOS which I love, then watched TAS for the first time which I didn't like at all apart from one decent Spock episode and the music. Finished TNG. Just started S5 of DS9 and S3 of VOY.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
For the past few weeks I've been re-watching all of Star Trek. Started with TOS which I love, then watched TAS for the first time which I didn't like at all apart from one decent Spock episode and the music. Finished TNG. Just started S5 of DS9 and S3 of VOY.
Voyager improves for a bit in season 4 and then returns to mediocrity, while DS9 S5-S7 is amazing with very few misses. I just saw the S5 opener yesterday, I had forgotten just how much they do with Odo, Dukat and Martok/Gowron in the series.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
Voyager improves for a bit in season 4 and then returns to mediocrity, while DS9 S5-S7 is amazing with very few misses. I just saw the S5 opener yesterday, I had forgotten just how much they do with Odo, Dukat and Martok/Gowron in the series.
To be honest I didn't enjoy the final season of ds9, they focused way too much on ezri who was an incredibly weak character.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
After years of persuasion, the missus has finally managed to get me to start watching TNG. Looks cheap as hell but since it was the 80s (that surprised me) it's not bad. I've been told it gets much better after season one and since I liked the movies I think I'll give it a go for a little longer.

Sir Patrick Stewart doesn't half arse it either. Good on him.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
After years of persuasion, the missus has finally managed to get me to start watching TNG. Looks cheap as hell but since it was the 80s (that surprised me) it's not bad. I've been told it gets much better after season one and since I liked the movies I think I'll give it a go for a little longer.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

The quality of writing gets progressively better throughout the 7 years imo.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The quality of writing gets progressively better throughout the 7 years imo.
I liked the movies, even that one with that weird English bloke who keeps putting on daft voices in all his films, so I'll keep going with it.

She's told me that I'm watching Voyager after this though so I'm going to take my time and wait until she forgets. She's lucky she's hot.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I liked the movies, even that one with that weird English bloke who keeps putting on daft voices in all his films, so I'll keep going with it.

She's told me that I'm watching Voyager after this though so I'm going to take my time and wait until she forgets. She's lucky she's hot.
Another option once you've had your fill of TNG is to jump directly to the new Picard series. Its only on episode 8 of season one, each of which can be binge watched. Great series.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
To be honest I didn't enjoy the final season of ds9, they focused way too much on ezri who was an incredibly weak character.
I didn't mind Ezri that much (I'm not a fan of Jadzia's character), but ya it starts off slow. The series of eps ending the war and the series, aside from Dukat's arc, are great.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Another option once you've had your fill of TNG is to jump directly to the new Picard series. Its only on episode 8 of season one, each of which can be binge watched. Great series.
Yeah we're watching that at the moment. It's bloody brilliant, hope there's plenty more. We've also tolerated Discovery. In exchange she has to watch dark comedies.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Levar Burton went harder insinuating stuff about Stweart's memory than anyone has on Biden in the debates :lol:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
And now the old man is dying. :boring:

Come on @Raoul, admit the show has no soul.
Last few episodes have been epic. Fantastic writing...and looking forward to the finale on Thursday.

I've also given Discovery another chance (currently finish season 1 and at episode 6 on season 2).

I finally realized why its so terrible - the casting is beyond horrendous. Its like the producers walked into a random Starbucks and asked baristas if they want to be on TV. The red headed female is particularly cringeworthy, as is the fact that there doesn't appear to be a consistent Captain running the show. Also the CGI looks far too cartoonish and the production design is also terrible (the new Klingons being a prime example). Very hard to get into this show as none of the characters are in any way appealing.

Pagh Wraith

Much better than Discovery (low bar), mainly due to much better actors/characters and a plot that at least makes some sense. But it still kind of feels instantly forgettable every time I come back to it after watching The Expanse. What on earth was the point of that Riker/Troi episode? That did literally nothing to advance the plot.

evil_geko

I am not much of a Trekkie but I heard most Trekkies trashed this Series. Don't know what to make of that.

Pagh Wraith

Might have to take my comment about the plot back after watching episode 9. Ugh.

Edit: Also cannot believe they pretty much copied that ENT three-parter in which Brent Spiner played the exact same role (some other Dr. Soong from the family line) who lives with this "children" (augments in this case) in some remote place and they want to kill humanity before it kills them. :lol:

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Might have to take my comment about the plot back after watching episode 9. Ugh.

Edit: Also cannot believe they pretty much copied that ENT three-parter in which Brent Spiner played the exact same role (some other Dr. Soong from the family line) who lives with this "children" (augments in this case) in some remote place and they want to kill humanity before it kills them. :lol:
:lol: Hey as long as they bring back as many familiar faces as possible, I'm happy.

Didn't care too much for the Riker and Troi additions unless of course they are planning on bringing Riker back in some form.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I'm enjoying the series, but I feel like it's not really what I expected. It feels like the overall seasons theme is what would typically have been a single Star Trek episode. Then presuming this is a series one off, they've done cool things with old characters as individual 'woah' moments that you'd want explored over seasons but instead we won't get to see them fleshed out/explored further.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'm enjoying the series, but I feel like it's not really what I expected. It feels like the overall seasons theme is what would typically have been a single Star Trek episode. Then presuming this is a series one off, they've done cool things with old characters as individual 'woah' moments that you'd want explored over seasons but instead we won't get to see them fleshed out/explored further.
I'm finding that the episodes written by quality writers are better than those written by the inexperienced ones, which would explain why random episodes are flat and others are fantastic.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Looking forward to seeing the final episode. I liked it a lot.
I'm not much of Star Trek except for some movie + Enterprise and Picard.
I really like Enterprise too but now comparing It seems all too fanciful and some parts (particularly the part of the Klingons) look shabby , besides I think I prefer Picard for the crew and the plot.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
For a New Trek thing it's not the worst thing at all. Ninja agent Narissa falling from epic height was the only sad sight for me. If Spiner and Frakes will get more appearance time in 2nd season then I'm cool with the show to continue even for two or three more years.

So yeah, Narissa better survive because Commodore Oh didn't convinced me as a villain at all, she came with the fleet and Riker basically told her to get the f*ck out and she kinda did exactly that.

Eriku

Clearly not a return to Trek as we know it, but I found myself liking it. Usually, in previous series, you’d have episodes that deal with a subject on their own, but I’m satisfied with the arc of the season as a whole. Emotionally very satisfying.

I do find myself wondering if I’m slightly hoodwinked by there being characters that I have been fond of and followed through many seasons already, but I’m gonna say I was happy with this season.