Television Star Trek

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Am i the only Star Trek fan (nerd) who didn't watch all Discovery seasons? I just can't watch that travesty. Should i force myself in watching that? Are other seasons any better?

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
Am i the only Star Trek fan (nerd) who didn't watch all Discovery seasons? I just can't watch that travesty. Should i force myself in watching that? Are other seasons any better?
Yes you are the only one on the planet.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You're not the only one. It was a steaming hot mess in every way imaginable.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
gave up on discovery after S1, never seen picard (might watch this season later), nor lower decks. yes for strange new worlds, it was ok.

have seen almost every TNG ep, most of them 4-5 times, all of DS9 2-3 times, and most of Voyager and the original series 1-2 times.

dinostar77

gave up on discovery after S1, never seen picard (might watch this season later), nor lower decks. yes for strange new worlds, it was ok.

have seen almost every TNG ep, most of them 4-5 times, all of DS9 2-3 times, and most of Voyager and the original series 1-2 times.
Picard season 3 is great. 1 and 2 are crap.

Lower Decks is good, give it an episode or two and you get hooked.

Discovery is utter garbage.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

Picard S3 is basically crammed full of fan service, the plot is questionable and doesn't feel like Trek to me. It's just about watchable which is a step up from Discovery and S1 of Picard, seen a few clips of Picard S2 and decided to avoid.

Personally, I think SNW is the closest thing we've had to Trek in decades and that show isn't perfect but for me much better than Picard S3 so far. Go in with limited expectations and you might enjoy it though.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Nice little cameo at the beginning of the latest Picard episode.

Bobski

DS9
TOS
TNG

Enterprise-best of the rest, surprisingly, and seasons 3+4 are actually pretty good

Voyager

Picard- would be in the depths alongside the below fecal matter if not for season 3.

Discovery.

Still not watched Strange New Worlds.

Bobski

Star Fleet Academy with 16 year olds. Are they punting this to the CW?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Still not watched Strange New Worlds.
SNW S1 is one of the best opening seasons of any Trek show. Whether they can build on the first season and take it to the next level is the real question but it brought back a fun, fresh take that felt like watching a modern TOS.

I'm also a massive fan of Pike, one of the best Captains. It certainly felt like they learnt their lessons from Discovery and made the show enjoyable with likeable characters, my only gripe was that some of the character motivations were a little ropey and they tied up a few stories far too quickly. It felt refreshing watching a show that didn't have a long universe ending arc throughout.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Not Star Trek admittedly but have started a re watch of The Orville. I love it hope they do a final series it got so good.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

jasT1981

What makes you think it’s 32nd century? That’s would be light centuries beyond the recent Trek timelines
No, it wouldn't. Discovery (Post season 2) is set in the 32nd Century and already acknowledged Starfleet Acadamy hasn't been operational in over 100 years since 'the burn'.

Given this series is about Starfleet Acadamy re-opening after over 100 years, it fits in the Discovery 32nd century timeline

Raoul

Admin
Staff
No, it wouldn't. Discovery (Post season 2) is set in the 32nd Century and already acknowledged Starfleet Acadamy hasn't been operational in over 100 years since 'the burn'.

Given this series is about Starfleet Acadamy re-opening after over 100 years, it fits in the Discovery 32nd century timeline
Yeah, I don’t watch Discovery. I’ve seen some previous shows in the 29th century and beyond (Enterprise and Voyager). Once time travel becomes possible, it’s time to explore that. As for a show in Starfleet Academy, it doesn’t sound very appealing imo.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
It's not a very good idea to make a new show based on a spinoff of a tv show that wasn't very popular. It feels like it's doomed from the start frankly.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's not a very good idea to make a new show based on a spinoff of a tv show that wasn't very popular. It feels like it's doomed from the start frankly.
Its amazing how these guys haven't figured out the winning formula. Starship with iconic captain and well cast crew travels through space and encounters new situations each week, which are resolved by the end of the episode. That's all they have to do.

Member 125398

Its amazing how these guys haven't figured out the winning formula. Starship with iconic captain and well cast crew travels through space and encounters new situations each week, which are resolved by the end of the episode. That's all they have to do.
Or DS9.

Herman Toothrot

You chose wisely. It's garbage.

Picard S3 on the hand is so good. To a certain extent, it's ultimate success relies on how the reveals land, but it's been a minute-to-minute blast. Shame it's season three of what is otherwise a very bad show. It feels more like Star Trek 11 and 12 broken over ten parts.

Bole Top

I must say, S3 has been major improvement over previous seasons. it's a shame it will be the case of too little, too late with this show. comfortably the worst ST series for me, but at least I'm not reading Sancho's thread during the watch (as I used to do during the second season).

also, Picard bragging about fighting Hirogen from delta quadrant? when, where, how?

jasT1981

I enjoyed season 1 & 2 but 3 & 4 have been very lacking.
Season 2 sets up Strange New Worlds which has been fantastic.

Amir

"Is this a rescue mission or a continuation of the torture?" and "I have slaughtered countless enemies over the years and considered sending their heads to all of you" are two instant classics

Love season 3. Shame only two episodes are left. I want a Riker show next - just avoid the first-two-seasons-are-a-bust syndrome and bring the rest of the TNG gang straight in.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not sure what to make of this entire storyline. There are also a few annoyances about the excessively dark sets, dodgy sound design, and lack of character development. It’s great to see the old cast back though. Not sure if I would want another year of this level of fan service and nostalgia

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Not sure what to make of this entire storyline. There are also a few annoyances about the excessively dark sets, dodgy sound design, and lack of character development. It’s great to see the old cast back though. Not sure if I would want another year of this level of fan service and nostalgia
It's probably Borg related. There was some throwaway line that hinted Borg earlier on in the episode and if you think about it, what Jack can do is basically what the Borg Queen could do with drones. It's a female voice talking to Jack, there's the connection with Locutus. We had Wolf 359 mentioned due to Captain Shaws past as a friendly reminder to fans about Picards past. That would be my guess anyway.

It makes me laugh how Captain Shaw is basically now a passenger on his own ship, not welcomed into meetings and doesn't actually do any captaining at all. Poor chap.

The Cat

It's probably Borg related. There was some throwaway line that hinted Borg earlier on in the episode and if you think about it, what Jack can do is basically what the Borg Queen could do with drones. It's a female voice talking to Jack, there's the connection with Locutus. We had Wolf 359 mentioned due to Captain Shaws past as a friendly reminder to fans about Picards past. That would be my guess anyway.

It makes me laugh how Captain Shaw is basically now a passenger on his own ship, not welcomed into meetings and doesn't actually do any captaining at all. Poor chap.
I hope it ties into the end of the last season where the Borg are guarding against some mega threat. If I could write it I'd make it species 8472 blasting through the wormhole that would just be so good and make the final 2 episodes an all out battle against them but it will likely be something cleverer than that. They after all appeared to make peace with Janeway in the end but they are really bad ass and hate the Borg.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I hope it ties into the end of the last season where the Borg are guarding against some mega threat. If I could write it I'd make it species 8472 blasting through the wormhole that would just be so good and make the final 2 episodes an all out battle against them but it will likely be something cleverer than that. They after all appeared to make peace with Janeway in the end but they are really bad ass and hate the Borg.
I didn't put myself through Season 2 so have no idea about the lore. But there's been enough not so subtle hints that it links in with Locutus. It's no coincidence that Jack is Picards only child and he's gifted, the 'door' could very easily be a bad thing, opening up access to a dormant Locutus? The only thing I don't fully understand is how it would tie in with an unnamed Evil group that's been plotting against Star Fleet.

If it's not Borg related I'll be disappointed as the writing would be very loose. It would mean Bev Crusher has birthed two children that have gone on to be God type characters. At least with the Borg plot point it makes sense for Jack to be special.

The Cat

I didn't put myself through Season 2 so have no idea about the lore. But there's been enough not so subtle hints that it links in with Locutus. It's no coincidence that Jack is Picards only child and he's gifted, the 'door' could very easily be a bad thing, opening up access to a dormant Locutus? The only thing I don't fully understand is how it would tie in with an unnamed Evil group that's been plotting against Star Fleet.

If it's not Borg related I'll be disappointed as the writing would be very loose. It would mean Bev Crusher has birthed two children that have gone on to be God type characters. At least with the Borg plot point it makes sense for Jack to be special.
If I had to put money on it Picard's Irumodic Syndrome (sp?) is leftover Borg implants and he's passed something on to his son which is causing all this. Jack is showing signs of abilities to form his own collective etc.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
If I had to put money on it Picard's Irumodic Syndrome (sp?) is leftover Borg implants and he's passed something on to his son which is causing all this. Jack is showing signs of abilities to form his own collective etc.
Aye that would make sense if Picards illness was diagnosed after he was assimilated. Don't know enough about the lore to confirm when he was and too tired to check online. But that would be pretty decent writing as plots go and we've had Picards illness mentioned over and over this season so would make sense. Almost like a Borg Trojan Horse to a degree, be it intentionally designed or accidental.

dinostar77

Aye that would make sense if Picards illness was diagnosed after he was assimilated. Don't know enough about the lore to confirm when he was and too tired to check online. But that would be pretty decent writing as plots go and we've had Picards illness mentioned over and over this season so would make sense. Almost like a Borg Trojan Horse to a degree, be it intentionally designed or accidental.
Yeh, you know it will be the Borg behind the red door. Jack is a human borg who can control other humaniods and maybe the splinter cell of the dominion wanted him as they have no jem hadar and want to clone jack, a super solider with mind control abilities.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
@Mockney

Look man, if you worked on any of those ships, presumably for months - even years - at a time, you would be constantly in therapy or heavily medicated for seasonal affective disorder. Just turn some fecking lights on before they all kill themselves Starfleet you monsters!

Anyway, I’m losing interest now. The characters are fun but the story itself is entirely uninteresting…. plus I’m having increasing difficulty looking at Gates McFadden’s awkwardly stretched face for so long.