Television Star Trek

dinostar77

I cannot believe how good this series of Picard is. It's magical. I never thought Star Trek would be this good again and that fan service could be done with such style.

This is such an unexpected gift.

Whatever happens in the next six episodes, I've had my final hurrah with the Next Generation and I think they may have made the groundwork for something good in the future. Imagine a good new Star Trek series.

Well done everyone involved, I've almost erased the first two series from my mind.
There is one, Strange New Worlds. If you havent seen it, id suggest watching it

Herman Toothrot

There is one, Strange New Worlds. If you havent seen it, id suggest watching it
Eh, it's fine but not for me. I'm glad people are enjoying it, especially those who stuck by Discovery. They earned something sweet to take the bad taste away.

dinostar77

Eh, it's fine but not for me. I'm glad people are enjoying it, especially those who stuck by Discovery. They earned something sweet to take the bad taste away.
What are you looking for in ST then? Somwthing lighter in tone or darker? More episodic without a huge story arc? Just curious.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I really don't enjoy these grand story lines that Picard decide to go with. It just doesn't feel like Star Trek to me, it's always some massive threat that's going to destroy the universe that Picard and co have to fix. I think that's why I much preferred SNW's episodic content. Granted i'm only two episodes into Picard S3, but immediately rolled my eyes at
Seven of Nine disobeying orders and yet the Captain who clearly dislikes Picard and Riker just slaps her on the wrist. Or the Captain not even bothering to contact Star Fleet to check if the change of orders were legit or not. Can you imagine Picard accepting that on the Enterprise? Hell the feck no. At least Worf is in the show and he always carries the show, but pairing him up with that annoying shite character will be frustrating.

Question, as I haven't watched Picard S2 as I gave up after S1. The Titan seems to be top of the range Starfleet ship and yet it's severely out matched against the other ship with the laughing lady. Did Starfleet just stop arming their ships after the Dominion War or is it just another one of those tropes that strange ship appears that's massive for no reason and over powered just to cause some fake jeopardy? A rehash of several films, it even looks a bit like the ship from Nemesis.

To be fair, it's not as bad as S1 at least and I've heard S2 was horrendous. But certainly not as good so far as it's been hyped in here.

stevoc

So just watched a few new episodes of Picard, it's better and much more enjoyable than last season the writing is still dumb as feck. The characters do things every episode that make no sense, either for their character, a Starfleet officer or a human being with a functioning brain.

The worst one this episode was the changeling bucket. Not only did a spy who's trying to blend in on an alien ship bring his own bucket instead of just using any old bucket or pot that he finds on the ship. But his bucket for some inexplicable reason looks exactly like the one Odo had on Deep Space Nine.

Riker tells Seven to keep the murdered crew members death quiet because it would affect morale then in the very next scene they're wheeling his dead body into a room full of crew members. :lol:

And don't get me started on the last episode that made Riker, Picard, Seven and the crew look like incompetent clowns. Seven discovers a leak and realizes it was sabotage, instead of fixing the leak and then quietly informing the captain they need to find the saboteur. She just announces it over the coms for everyone to hear thus alerting the saboteur that they're on to him, then she leaves Picard's son who isn't even a member of the crew to fix the leak alone despite not knowing if he has a fecking clue what he's doing while she fecks off to go feck knows where. No security show up incase the spy comes back and tries to make the leak worse, because nah why would he. Then the changeling sabotages the ship again because of course they've posted no security to any other sensitive areas of the ship. Probably because the two career officers currently in charge who served together for years as captain and commander on the same ship and have for some reason forgot anything about professionalism or command were too busy bickering amongst themselves in front of the whole crew.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
Some of the Strange New World's episodes were very good. A couple of season one Picards were very good as well.
Ok, so I should check out SNW? I'll do that after Picard season 3.

Which picard episodes did you like before S3?

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Season 1 of Picard as a whole was pretty good. I would watch the entire thing. Season 2 was rubbish due to COVID.
I thought the first 2 or 3 episodes were very decent then it went bad.

This season isn't aimless like the previous ones they have obviously written the whole thing out in advance it's gonna be a huge ending.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
I thought the first 2 or 3 episodes were very decent then it went bad.

This season isn't aimless like the previous ones they have obviously written the whole thing out in advance it's gonna be a huge ending.
I don't think season 2 was aimless, you just didn't enjoy it. They were clearly wrapping up Picard's relationship with Q, which I personally quite enjoyed.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
I don't think season 2 was aimless, you just didn't enjoy it. They were clearly wrapping up Picard's relationship with Q, which I personally quite enjoyed.
I enjoyed it too. Definitely feels like this season is a step or two up (so far) though.

That'sHernandez

I enjoyed it too. Definitely feels like this season is a step or two up (so far) though.
Definitely agree, though I didn't really enjoy the cliffhanger endings in the first couple of episodes. I don't think they needed it.

jasT1981

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not a fan of this week’s episode. Too much character nostalgia and the female villain and Picard’s son are getting a bit annoying.

Herman Toothrot

This week's episode was the weakest, but I enjoyed it a lot. For the first time since the Berman era, it feels like Star Trek. Everything since 09 seemed like a pastiche and quite a cynical one at that. A lot of fan service in this third series, but it's been done very well, probably less so this week. Even this episode felt pretty tame compared to The Mandalorian which is verging on unwatchable now as it chokes on cringy references between fetch quests.

I wish they'd put Terry Matalis in charge from day one and we could have had three good seasons. I never want to see anything led by Alex Kurtzman ever again.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Not a fan of this week’s episode. Too much character nostalgia and the female villain and Picard’s son are getting a bit annoying.
It’s a lot better than the Kurtzmann series (even if everything is still too fecking dark!!) but giving Picard a sexy swashbuckling maverick son with a secret troubled past is just… really hacky.

Also at what age are Picard & Crusher supposed to have had this 26 year old 30 something? That’s the really scary backstory.

The Cat

Has it been mentioned already that the Shrike's captain was the woman from Tarrantino's Honey Bunny scene?

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
It’s a lot better than the Kurtzmann series (even if everything is still too fecking dark!!) but giving Picard a sexy swashbuckling maverick son with a secret troubled past is just… really hacky.

Also at what age are Picard & Crusher supposed to have had this 26 year old 30 something? That’s the really scary backstory.
The characters are acting more or less like themselves, plus or minus some character development you’d expect over the years. That alone is a huge improvement over the previous seasons.

The Cat

I am really enjoying this season. I'm a little bit tempered though with the reintroduction of the latest character it seems forced these days when they appear. Hope that's not spoilery.

That'sHernandez

I am really enjoying this season. I'm a little bit tempered though with the reintroduction of the latest character it seems forced these days when they appear. Hope that's not spoilery.
It’s all entirely forced for one last hurrah

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Riker telling Picard in 3rd episode to step away from the bridge was a cool moment of character.

Anyways skeleton of a new crew is slowly forming. They could even transport Data to new body and attach it for future productions, with new La Forge and new Picard/Crusher somewhat already settled as characters.

Even Elnor at some point could make his return as chief of security. 7 of 9 or Shaw could be new captain and first officer... lots of options for something that sounds like ST: Next After Next Generation.

Even if it's a bit of running on fumes, it's way more than just explosions happening after all.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Riker telling Picard in 3rd episode to step away from the bridge was a cool moment of character.

Anyways skeleton of a new crew is slowly forming. They could even transport Data to new body and attach it for future productions, with new La Forge and new Picard/Crusher somewhat already settled as characters.

Even Elnor at some point could make his return as chief of security. 7 of 9 or Shaw could be new captain and first officer... lots of options for something that sounds like ST: Next After Next Generation.

Even if it's a bit of running on fumes, it's way more than just explosions happening after all.
The way things are going, they could start a new series and retain some of the bridge characters that work (such as LaForge). Come to think of it, she would do well on Strange New Worlds if the timelines match up.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
The way things are going, they could start a new series and retain some of the bridge characters that work (such as LaForge). Come to think of it, she would do well on Strange New Worlds if the timelines match up.
She would do well there as SNW's aura is explorative energy and basically younger officers trying to impress. This is why she and Jack could be needed to get totally new series started, plus tbh these two already have some past with federation which helps establishing continuity bit more.

Discovery being shut down and Picard almost concluded. Lots of space to create one bigger series. Just need to find proper medical staff officer and perhaps retain more space races aspect which was present in negotiations/exploration aspect.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
She would do well there as SNW's aura is explorative energy and basically younger officers trying to impress. This is why she and Jack could be needed to get totally new series started, plus tbh these two already have some past with federation which helps establishing continuity bit more.

Discovery being shut down and Picard almost concluded. Lots of space to create one bigger series. Just need to find proper medical staff officer and perhaps retain more space races aspect which was present in negotiations/exploration aspect.
They are working on new series at the moment. Not sure about the Jack character. I think they could do better in a new series.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
They are working on new series at the moment. Not sure about the Jack character. I think they could do better in a new series.
Tbh, better him than Jurati / Raffi.

Something better has to happen anyway, I mean the whole letting go of Discovery is a sign.