Television Star Trek

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Spent the last week or so watching Picard.

Not bad, I guess.

Not really blown away either.

What I enjoyed most - there and then - was the obvious fan service stuff. The most obvious example being Riker appearing in the final S1 episode, ready to kick Romulan ass ...I mean, I loved that. But truth be told, I wasn't 100% sober when watching it.

The story/writing, though - I dunno.

Then again, it's not like every episode of TNG (or any Trek series) was brilliantly written and executed.

Caveat: Still haven't seen the last 4-5 episodes of S2. But the whole, basic plot - I mean, we've seen that thing like at least a couple of times before. Which is fine - I'm not against variations on a theme at all. But...well, not that impressed.

Hopefully, S2 will turn out to tie in with S1 in a way that's convincing (the android thing).

ETA Stewart is generally brilliant, though - which, for me, is the most important thing. There are times, though, that I sort of think...okay, whatever, get back to Picard/Stewart now, I don't really care too much about these other characters.

Also - not sure about Seven. She comes across as too "human" for me, if you know what I mean. She's almost forced into a "voice of reason" kind of role at times, which a) doesn't really jibe with how she was initially portrayed (in this series) and b) doesn't jibe with her old personality for me (she wasn't the voice of reason as much as she was the voice of...insane logic (I mean, in Voyager she was Spock/Data in a slightly deranged form), whereas in some scenes here she's just...a bit sappy, almost.

Last edited:

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Kurtzman teased new DS9 characters or full reboot a Comicon a few days ago.
DS9 is my favourite trek show, and as much as I would love to see the surviving cast back together, I really don't want it under Kurtzman.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
DS9 is my favourite trek show, and as much as I would love to see the surviving cast back together, I really don't want it under Kurtzman.
I would agree with the latter. If he had any sense, he would farm out all future Trek writing to Brannon Braga and Manny Coto instead random entry level writers we've seen in recent series.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
I got maybe 4 episodes in and we had to stop cause the kids kept interrupting it. Haven’t picked it up again since, will probably go back to it at some point but it’s just so formulaic. Burnham saves the day, as per

Lastwolf

Trailer looks good, but that's the job of a trailer. But I can't see it being possible, for it, to be worse than Season 2 as it was just bleh, it was a solid 2 part episode they pulled the taffy too far on. There were episodes were they just rehashed what happened in the last one, the stakes were all over the place and it couldn't decide who the badguy was for more than 10minutes at a time.

Alison Pill might be a fine actress and a nice person, but whatever combination of things they tried to make her menacing or threatening failed pretty hard. Looked like a teddy bear throwing a huff.

Season 3 looks to be leaning hard on the nostalgia button, which I'm all for.

dinostar77

Hope this is better than season 2.

The director has said his is a ten episode send off for the TNG crew. Bigger question, i really hope they nail this. The supermassive wormhole that the Borg are guarding. I hope its the new equivalent of the borg/dominion that comes through. Its been many years since trek had a new enemy that beat the crap out of the federation.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Dont give a feck about Picard, but I hope it's better than the shit show of season 2. Far more interested in Strange New Worlds S2, I got my Star Trek back with that show and they've only gone and added Carol Kane. Just annoying that we'll probably have to wait a while.

Side note, I was able to watch Wrath of Khan in a cinema yesterday (40th anniversary), goddamn was it great.

dinostar77

Not exactly tv star trek, but the new Captain Sisko comic series is offically a sequel to deep space nine.

Sisko will be joined by Dr Beverly Crusher and Lieutenant Commander Data on the USS thesus.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Not exactly tv star trek, but the new Captain Sisko comic series is offically a sequel to deep space nine.

Sisko will be joined by Dr Beverly Crusher and Lieutenant Commander Data on the USS thesus.

The Crusher family

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
That's a lot of information to digest in one go. Kinda wow... DS9 had it's own atmosphere, they're aiming for some tough challenge with this.

If Jean Luc getting proper send off, it's a success on it's own, thankfully there's still Strange New Worlds in case of emergency.

Reiver

Lower Decks is the most I've enjoyed Trek for ages apart from seeing the first and second movies at the cinema recently.

Big Andy

Bloke
Not gonna lie, that is the LAST antagonist I expected to see show up. It actually looks good, but I dare not hope. Its the hope that gets you.
Well they had to shoehorn the bloke who plays Data in somehow, and seeing as they killed him off twice already, it either had to be as a Human descendant (again) or one of the other 2 robots with his face.

That'sHernandez

Lower Decks is the most I've enjoyed Trek for ages apart from seeing the first and second movies at the cinema recently.
The most recent Lower Decks episode was fantastic. Definitely a few laugh out loud moments from Peanut Hamper lines for me.

That'sHernandez

Well they had to shoehorn the bloke who plays Data in somehow, and seeing as they killed him off twice already, it either had to be as a Human descendant (again) or one of the other 2 robots with his face.
They've always used Brent Spiner to do Soong family representations. It's part of Star Trek

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
I meant Moriarty.

dinostar77

Season finale of lower decks was fun especially with
the definant showing up and being run by section 31!

Amir

Much as I love Brent Spiner, they didn't HAVE to use him.

The Hilton

Finally started the most recent season of Lower Decks, and it's still excellent - within all the silliness, there's a clear love of Star Trek, with so many nods and in jokes.

dinostar77

Finally started the most recent season of Lower Decks, and it's still excellent - within all the silliness, there's a clear love of Star Trek, with so many nods and in jokes.
Lower Decks is great. Much better than Picard and Discovery.

dinostar77

Agreed - Lower Decks just feels like it was made by people that actually like and care about Star Trek, unlike the other two you mention.
If you havent given The Orville a go (disney+), its worth a shot. Season 2 and 3 is some of the best "star trek" since TNG and DS9.

The Hilton

If you havent given The Orville a go (disney+), its worth a shot. Season 2 and 3 is some of the best "star trek" since TNG and DS9.
I love The Orville, and I agree entirely with your summary of it. I enjoyed season 1 too, even though it was a bit sillier, as again you could tell immediately that it was an homage made with love rather than a parody.

dinostar77

50% off a year subscription for paramount + at moment (black friday deal). So £34.99 for the year if you want to watch Strange New Worlds and Discovery.