Film Star Wars: Episode IX (The Rise of Skywalker) | Teaser Trailer Released

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Palpatine will probably just be a cameo flashback of some sort I imagine.

Revan

Assumptionman
Didn't Johnson already said that he is okay with JJ changing Rey's parantage thing?

Why Johnson deviated from the plan in the first place, for JJ to go back to it is super weird though. They should have talked with each other during the second movie.

freeurmind

weak willed
They really fecked up these movies. Visually amazing but the storyline is all over the place. Would have been better off starting afresh with maybe only old Luke remaining from the original series.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Palpatine will probably just be a cameo flashback of some sort I imagine.
Hopefully. Bringing yet more past characters back would be a bit cheap, especially if he ends up being the big bad guy.

Didn't Johnson already said that he is okay with JJ changing Rey's parantage thing?

Why Johnson deviated from the plan in the first place, for JJ to go back to it is super weird though. They should have talked with each other during the second movie.
The way they went about planning (or rather not planning) these films was odd, especially given there was initially going to be a different director for each film. It seems like each director was going to do whatever he wanted and then hand it over to the next guy who would have to figure out what to do from there. Which I guess would be fun and interesting from a creative point of view but not the way I'd choose to run a money printing machine like the Star Wars franchise. It's even more odd when you consider that the two directors they've ended up with seem to have completely different ideas on what should be done with new Star Wars films.

decorativeed

Was a bit meh but I have faith it won’t be as shit as TLJ.
Nice... Hopefully it can live up to the greatness of TLJ
That just about sums things up.

Personally, I don't get the hate for TLJ, as I thought it was a far better film than the pile of shite that The Force Awakens was. Hopefully this will be a further improvement, and maybe Daisy Ridley will have learned to act better than a year 6 pupil in a school play this time around.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Surely no one still thinks her parents were ever going to be nobodies though?

I thought it was a given that was nonsense.
People seemed to take Ren's statement in the last film as confirmation of the fact but it was never definitely stated. Rey's mindset was always to accept she was a nobody, and Ren was trying to manipulate her for his own ends; telling her she's actually Luke's daughter and the chosen one and all that wasn't exactly going to help out his own cause.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
People seemed to take Ren's statement in the last film as confirmation of the fact but it was never definitely stated. Rey's mindset was always to accept she was a nobody, and Ren was trying to manipulate her for his own ends; telling her she's actually Luke's daughter and the chosen one and all that wasn't exactly going to help out his own cause.
Yeah, I didn't actually think people didn't see through that.

Why the stuff about retconning? What is there to?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
The rumours about [SPOILE] Rey going back in time using the force to convince Darth Vader to betray Palpatine are ridiculous. Another attempt by Disney to ruin Star Wars [/SPOILER]

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Well Johnson said that as far as he was concerned they were nobodies, so that's obviously what he intended to happen. He also said it wasn't up to him though as Abrams was free to change whatever he likes thanks to the weird "make it up as we go along" structure these films have opted for.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
It's mainly because it made sense from the perspective of the film. Greatness can come from nothing, your past doesn't dictate your future, accept who you are etc. If they went back now and went "actually...good Jedi are born to good Jedi after all, like the nobility", it would be a little lame.

caid

Yeah, I didn't actually think people didn't see through that.

Why the stuff about retconning? What is there to?
I really liked that part of the previous film. The vision when she asks where she came from showing an endless line of reys. The idea that she was a self made hero, rather than just the current Incarnation of Skywalker.
Snapping the Skywalker lightsaber in two was nice too. Hope it's referring to Luke and the legend he inspired at the end of the previous film. Or him as a force ghost

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
The rumours about [SPOILE] Rey going back in time using the force to convince Darth Vader to betray Palpatine are ridiculous. Another attempt by Disney to ruin Star Wars [/SPOILER]
10/10 worst post ever. Failed to use spoiler tag properly and then when you do it's a fecking dumb as shit rumour. :lol:

Art Vandelay

The salt if that happens :lol:
:lol:....:( It's going to happen, everyone should just get used to it now, but they won't and the internet will implode. Then Skynet will launch the missiles and that's it.

I think Rey being nobody is the only good thing they've done with her. Everyone being somehow related to someone else makes the galaxy seem tiny. It was a problem in the prequels and is still a problem in the sequels. There's been thousands of Force users, the important ones can't all be related to a handful of people. The Force is about more than who your parents are.

kps88

It's mainly because it made sense from the perspective of the film. Greatness can come from nothing, your past doesn't dictate your future, accept who you are etc. If they went back now and went "actually...good Jedi are born to good Jedi after all, like the nobility", it would be a little lame.
Yup, it was the whole point of TLJ. I very much doubt they will reverse it now.

settembrini

Feels like they are having to shoe horn in the big bad from the good trilogy because interest in this trilogy has tanked due to Last Jedi.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
:lol:....:( It's going to happen, everyone should just get used to it now, but they won't and the internet will implode. Then Skynet will launch the missiles and that's it.

I think Rey being nobody is the only good thing they've done with her. Everyone being somehow related to someone else makes the galaxy seem tiny. It was a problem in the prequels and is still a problem in the sequels. There's been thousands of Force users, the important ones can't all be related to a handful of people. The Force is about more than who your parents are.
I just find Rey really, really boring.

I'm not that bothered about how powerful she is tbh, it's star wars and the 'rules' they set have always been pretty flexible. I just don't think the character is particularly interesting and yeah, the fact that she seems to be gaining all her power without an 'arc' is a part of that.

I think @settembrini is right, they realise after Solo that they're in a bit of trouble, so they are throwing in Palpatine and the Skywalker link as an attempt to drum up interest/bring back fans with a bit of nostalgia.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout

Fairly remember tons of people arguing it would be best if they were nobodies.
I also find it funny how many people hate on fans (mind, the ones who aren't arguing that women should be chained to the kitchen and bedroom), instead of just accepting that some who are overly invested cares a bit more, especially on a football fan forum.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'm curious what she's holding and more importantly why they're heading to what can only be Endor given the wreckage of the Death Star. Given Palpatine died on the Death Star perhaps that's the link? I don't see any reason why they'd go there unless someone's hiding in it or they're going there to retrieve something.

NinjaFletch

I'm not that bothered about how powerful she is tbh, it's star wars and the 'rules' they set have always been pretty flexible. I just don't think the character is particularly interesting and yeah, the fact that she seems to be gaining all her power without an 'arc' is a part of that.

I think @settembrini is right, they realise after Solo that they're in a bit of trouble, so they are throwing in Palpatine and the Skywalker link as an attempt to drum up interest/bring back fans with a bit of nostalgia.
I really think the idea that Solo did badly because of some TLJ hate lag is incredibly wishful thinking on the part of the hardcore Star Wars fandom trying to rationalise why a film they liked did badly and a film they hated did well.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

Solo was a failure, both with critics and financially, because it leaned way too heavily on the past. I'm not sure the right lesson to take from that would be to drag up more old coffins to bounce back, particularly as a continuation to the (critically and financially successful) previous episode. They need to go new places.

So yeah, back to the Death Star we go :lol:

Although also worth saying - the original script for the Force Awakens had them visiting the wreck of the second Death Star.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

Although also worth saying - the original script for the Force Awakens had them visiting the wreck of the second Death Star.
Oh interesting. Part of me wonders if he's going to come back as a Force Ghost, would be interesting to have a Sith Force Ghost.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I'm curious what she's holding and more importantly why they're heading to what can only be Endor given the wreckage of the Death Star. Given Palpatine died on the Death Star perhaps that's the link? I don't see any reason why they'd go there unless someone's hiding in it or they're going there to retrieve something.
Could be the final showdown place with Kylo being so sentimental (keeping Vaders mask and all that).
Other than that I can't see much reason for it.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I really think the idea that Solo did badly because of some TLJ hate lag is incredibly wishful thinking on the part of the hardcore Star Wars fandom trying to rationalise why a film they liked did badly and a film they hated did well.
Possibly, but it does look like they're trying to appeal to the oldie Star Wars fans with the nostalgia stuff.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Solo was a failure, both with critics and financially, because it leaned way too heavily on the past. I'm not sure the right lesson to take from that would be to drag up more old coffins to bounce back, particularly as a continuation to the (critically and financially successful) previous episode. They need to go new places.

I think there was also maybe a bit of simple disinterest in a standalone Han Solo film. I mean he's a cool character, but was there much excitement for the concept in the first place? And it came pretty soon after TLJ too.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
There's something in cannon about Jedi being able to become force ghosts in death and sith being able to possess objects. Maybe Palpatine possessed Vader's helmet?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Hm?
Haven't watched Solo, but from what I gathered people didn't like it or hate it, it seemed unnecessary from what I've read. Or has the "fandom" agreed it's a great addition?

I don't know how well or badly it did, but certainly not being a main-series star wars movie does make it less likely that more casual fans won't go to the cinema?
I assume the one you meant did well was TLJ.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Feels like they are having to shoe horn in the big bad from the good trilogy because interest in this trilogy has tanked due to Last Jedi.
Palpatine was there right from the start of the whole saga (Phantom Menace), wouldn't be entirely illogical if he was again the main boss of what could be last episode of main storyline... but yes, can't disagree that Snoke was a sad joke and there's no excuse to the obvious f*ck up.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Perhaps. I think my main issue with her hypothetically being a nobody is that she ends up feeling a bit extraneous to the new trilogy despite being the main character, insofar as they've very much continued to bill it as a continuation of the Skywalker saga. And compared to, say, the originals, you could argue she's a lot less central to the resolution of each film than Luke is. Kylo killing his dad is probably the proper big moment of the first one, and similarly in the second one Luke/Kylo ends up feeling like the genuine conclusion. Because those characters have a much more extensive history with each other than Rey does. If the Skywalkers were just bit-part players popping up occasionally then, yeah, I don't think it'd be an issue, but narratively I think it becomes a bit weird when you've very much got a series of films about the Skywalkers where the main character (and by extension Finn as well) isn't really all that important to said family. And with the title, they seem to be leaning a lot more heavily on the Skywalker family as opposed to leaving them behind.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I think there was also maybe a bit of simple disinterest in a standalone Han Solo film. I mean he's a cool character, but was there much excitement for the concept in the first place? And it came pretty soon after TLJ too.
I don't think it was ever really necessary because the whole point of Han Solo is that he's a bit of a rogueish dick until the main trilogy, which is where all his character development then happens. Although it's a rule that can kinda be applied to prequels in general: often a character is much more interesting when his past is suggested or implied than if you show it outright. Even a good prequel trilogy would've struggled not to ruin Vader's mystique I reckon.

kps88

Trailer looks like some cheap knock off...

5 men misfits going to somewhere...

As strong as a jedi can be it'll be more efficirnt to drop a bomb or something from the space
What does this mean? What five men? Drop a bomb on what?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
There's something in cannon about Jedi being able to become force ghosts in death and sith being able to possess objects. Maybe Palpatine possessed Vader's helmet?
Wouldn't be cool if Rey's last battle was against talking Darth Vader's helmet in Emperor's voice ? Would gladly pay money to see that, rather than watching another Death Star exploding.