Gaming Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (PC, PS4, Xbox One)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Playing it now. All story to begin with but visually stunning and really interesting so far.
God, I love the fact I don't follow the game industry anymore and can suddenly discover on a Thursday afternoon that 2 games I will probably love, come out tomorrow :P

izzydiggler

My copy has arrived but have work to do before I can play it.

Despite the dreaded review embargo, the gameplay looks fun and if it's more of the same over a few varied locations, then the SW licence will mean I'll enjoy it a lot. Not expecting a classic or anything - I enjoyed The Force Unleashed, despite some issues so don't really see it as much of a risk.

Siorac

God, I love the fact I don't follow the game industry anymore and can suddenly discover on a Thursday afternoon that 2 games I will probably love, come out tomorrow :P
What's the other one?

Woodzy

Played a couple of hours now. Really impressed initially.

Think of it like Tomb Raider, with a tiny bit of Dark Souls, set in the Star Wars universe.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Pokemon sword and shield are the two, right?

Siorac

Think of it like Tomb Raider, with a tiny bit of Dark Souls, set in the Star Wars universe.
How are you playing it already? I thought it was only out tomorrow.

Castia

Sounds amazing that. Looking forward for tomorrow.

RedDevilRoshi

Probably wait and see what the reviews are for this before deciding to buy or not when the prices comes down.

I’ve been a little disappointed with the last 1-2 Star Wars games that I’ve played. Hope this one is actually good

izzydiggler

Relieved to say that it's not a 'dud'. Looks, sounds and plays great. No telling whether it gets dull, is short or whatever but I'm almost certainly enjoy it.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
The load times really are not good.
Even on SSD it seems. Also the framerate seems to be tied to controls, which makes the parkour sections look tedious.

I think there's a few issues that'll make me wait to see what the first patch brings. I'm a little disappointed in the linearity though, and it really does look like Uncharted with a Lightsaber rather than a SW game.

I'm still interested, but I don't think it's going to be the killer game we all wanted.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Even on SSD it seems. Also the framerate seems to be tied to controls, which makes the parkour sections look tedious.

I think there's a few issues that'll make me wait to see what the first patch brings. I'm a little disappointed in the linearity though, and it really does look like Uncharted with a Lightsaber rather than a SW game.

I'm still interested, but I don't think it's going to be the killer game we all wanted.
Uncharted had brilliant humour, character development and charm. This doesn't tick those boxes, it's more of an empty shell version of Uncharted with the combat of a dark souls. They added far to much parkour.

Redlambs

Uncharted had brilliant humour, character development and charm. This doesn't tick those boxes, it's more of an empty shell version of Uncharted with the combat of a dark souls. They added far to much parkour.
Seems that way. I'm still going to try it, but if Cas from fextra is downbeat that's always a huge sign that it's not all that since he usually loves these games :(

Woodzy

Finished the first planet (Zeffo) and its been really enjoyable so far.

Only minor complaints are occasional FPS drops and every Stormtrooper sounds like Will Ferrell. Also agree with it feeling a bit empty, and the main character doesn't really have much about him.

Enjoyable overall though.

Bojan11

86 on open critic.

Review average is 90 on PC, 85 on Xbox and 84 on PS4.

Not bad.

kps88

Reviews seem to be good. Not sure why they left the embargo so late.

Castia

Downloading on pc

Getting good reviews, finally we have a decent single player Star Wars game.

Redlambs

Spent a fair few sneaky hours on it this morning, bit of a mixed bag so far for me. I think it might be getting a few extra points for simply being called a Star Wars game. In fact, it definitely is from the reviews I've read.

The lack of any customisation and the terrible parkour are big negatives, but the biggest thing for me is what the first few patches bring in terms of cleaning up the rough edges. The sluggish controls and collisions (seems they've made the age old error of tying them to the ropey framerate). Also some of the level design decisions are questionable and those Mario64 sliding parts are hilariously bad. Let's not talk about the story so far...

However, even though it's pretty much on par with a lot of souls clones, it's still a fun enough game. It does have it's moments and the Lightsaber sound is awesome (really though, no dismemberment???). I just think it needs some work, and it's all a bit too straightforward and empty. It's nowhere an 8-9 game at all, but a solid 7. So far that is, though I don't expect it to change much at all as there's little in the way of new skills or combat options.

It's probably not going to top the Jedi Knight games. But it's nowhere near as bad as it could have been, it's decent. Maybe, as I've said, with a patch or two it could get even better.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
They were alright I guess. Nothing spectacular.

But that's more because I was a huge Jedi Knight fan, if you played those on PC, especially with mods, then to this day no SW game even comes close ;)
Oh yes, Jedi Knight was brilliant. I also played the Jedi Academy multiplayer more than I should've.

Siorac

Am I really the only one who loved The Force Unleashed?! Or is that not considered modern :p
Quite a few people like it; I found it a bit boring, to be honest. The gameplay had very little variation and the whole thing just had very little creativity.

Siorac

They were alright I guess. Nothing spectacular.

But that's more because I was a huge Jedi Knight fan, if you played those on PC, especially with mods, then to this day no SW game even comes close ;)
Knights of the Old Republic though. I liked that better than Jedi Academy - sue me.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Quite a few people like it; I found it a bit boring, to be honest. The gameplay had very little variation and the whole thing just had very little creativity.
Yeah, but force lifting Stormtroopers off stuff man! I couldn't get enough of it :)

Redlambs

Knights of the Old Republic though. I liked that better than Jedi Academy - sue me.
My bad, I meant in terms of action ones. KOTOR is a completely different game, there's absolutely no point in comparison. They are both top games in their genres though, no doubt about it :)

But you can compare Jedi Academy to this, and this new one is so far behind it's unreal. It's also very PG so far, you can't dismember, you can't force push people off edges and I've seen no lightning or force chokes or even dark/light choices. Not that they aren't there though tbh, maybe I've just not reached that part.

Siorac

Completely different game, there's absolutely no point in comparison. They are both top games in their genres though, no doubt about it :)

But you can compare Jedi Academy to this, and this new one is so far behind it's unreal. It's also very PG so far, you can't dismember, you can't force push people off edges and I've seen no lightning or force chokes or even dark/light choices. Not that they aren't there though tbh, maybe I've just not reached that part.
whaaaaat

Surely you jest?

pacifictheme

My bad, I meant in terms of action ones. KOTOR is a completely different game, there's absolutely no point in comparison. They are both top games in their genres though, no doubt about it :)

There is a trophy for pushing enemies off ledges... is it just animals and not humans?

Redlambs

whaaaaat

Surely you jest?
I take that back, you can but it's very situational. I don't think the sluggish controls and the ridiculous input delay helps though, it's not fluent.

It's more a case of learning the enemy positions and planning them. Again though, I don't think I'm that far in so maybe the level structures open up.

pacifictheme

I played about 3 1/2 hours last night as my copy came early. I really enjoyed it. The intro gameplay isn't great as you don't have any abilities and only one attack, but once you gain control of your skill tree you can start learning some cool attacks.

Lots of customization, combat feels satisfying. I'm playing on master which is apparently the intended/ recommended difficulty. That is easier than soulsborne for sure.

Feels very star warsy to me, which is good. Some very small framerate drops in big areas but thats it.

Really pleased overall so far.

Oh and you can change your lightsaber to green almost straight away. Lovely.

Siorac

I take that back, you can but it's very situational. I don't think the sluggish controls and the ridiculous input delay helps though, it's not fluent.

It's more a case of learning the enemy positions and planning them. Again though, I don't think I'm that far in so maybe the level structures open up.
Well, I like doing that in the Souls games... I'll find out in about four hours I guess.

Redlambs

There is a trophy for pushing enemies off ledges... is it just animals and not humans?

I misspoke a little, you can but it's not as fluid as you would hope.

Maybe I'm just comparing it too much to the Jedi Knight games, but in fairness it's hard not to.

Again though, I am enjoying it. I kind of think of it as a bit like Sekiro more than anything. People raved about it because of who made it, just like this one because it's SW, but all in all it's a solid game but nothing overly spectacular.

Redlambs

Well, I like doing that in the Souls games... I'll find out in about four hours I guess.
Problem is, as a souls game, it's weak. Very weak and on par with all the other so-so clones. It's like a jack of all trade. However, I'm finding it much more fun than stuff like Lords of the Fallen, maybe I've bought into the SW theme too!

As for enemy placement, whilst not as cheap, it's pretty much souls 2 of overwhelming and stun locks :lol: