Film Star wars SPOILER thread (post here if you have seen the film)

NinjaFletch

How come Ren isn't particularly good at fighting? Finn did quite well against him and Rey be at him albeit he was injured. But still... He's the new face of the dark side FFS!
It looks like the Stormtroopers had hand to hand combat training based on his fight in Cornwall, and by the time he fought Rey he was injured and she used the force or some shit to be good, IDK. Star Wars.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
I thought the film was great but I felt the biggest mistake was casting that nerd as Kylo Ren. My perception of him as a character and of the First Order was completely altered when he took off his helmet to reveal himself as a whiny little bitch. And I don't see how he can recover after having struggling to beat a non-Jedi Finn in a lightsaber dual. At least Snoke appears to be sufficiently evil and badass.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
How come Ren isn't particularly good at fighting? Finn did quite well against him and Rey be at him albeit he was injured. But still... He's the new face of the dark side FFS!
Well he's very young, early 20s? I didn't pay enough attention when Han was talking about what happened at Luke's Academy. But who is he meant to duel with and hone his skills? You can see during the film that he hadn't fully committed to the dark side until he killed Han. So you have a character who's basically an apprentice still take on someone who clearly had more natural ability. The fella was also badly wounded, I took the punching the side of his stomach to stop him from passing out. To give him an adrenaline push. He was also an emotional wreck which is never a good combo with the force and he was trying to recruit her.

What we'll see with Rey IMO is him becoming darker, more powerful as the films progress. Then we get to witness a far better story arc for that character.

The only bit that annoyed me during that scene was the ground breaking up. Also it delivered for me the best bit when Rey force pulled the light saber. That was perfect.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I couldn't keep a straight face whenever anyone mentioned the name Snoke. I mean, come on, that's a ridiculous name, even for Star Wars. He also didn't look like he fit in this film, aesthetically.

I actually thought Kylo Ren was quite good - up until he got easily beaten by magic plotting - but then I've probably got a slightly different view of acceptable masculinity to rednev.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Ren really didn't struggle against Finn. He was taking it extremely easy and when Finn finally got a hit on him, Ren finished him off within a couple of seconds. Why he didn't kill him I'm not as sure.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Is it just me, or were there way too many glancing blows in both duels? Lightsabers should be slicing limbs off, what's up with all the cuts and flesh wounds?

stevoc

It didn't help that you can easily identify some of the locations either. I liked the bit where they went on a day trip to a pub in Keswick, but my mate said he questioned why Luke had retired to an old tin mine in Cornwall.
Yeah i think they need to put more effort into the locations in the next films. Instead of Desert planet, Snow planet, Forest planet repeat.

It was alright doing that shit in the 70's and 80's but with CGI today they could make some cool looking alien planets.

Revan

Assumptionman
That still doesn't excuse the narrative problem, whereby they only find it because R2-D2 randomly decides to wake up of his own accord, no thanks to any of our protagonists, after the battle is done, just to further the plot.

I mean, if the whole point of that mega-deathstar was to wipe them all out, wouldn't it have been more pertinent to give them these co-ordinates before this potentially happened? His map showing alarm call is either completely random (and therefore bad writing) or he's got some kind of agency, but one that wasn't important enough to bring up before he was potentially destroyed.
If Rey is Luke's daughter, then it isn't random at all.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Yeah i think they need to put more effort into the locations in the next films. Instead of Desert planet, Snow planet, Forest planet repeat.

It was alright doing that shit in the 70's and 80's but with CGI today they could make some cool looking alien planets.
One thing that the prequels did right. Not always in execution mind you, but at least there was some variety attempted.

stevoc

The map bit is kind of sensical, in the sense that when they completed it there's still probably about 100 planets in that part of the galaxy. There was even a red line that went straight to the planet when complete. Imagine I told you to go find some random guy in the USA, I didn't know where he was, I just knew he was in the USA. You'd have no idea where to start.

So yeah it's not the best part of the story, but it's not that ridiculous unless there was only one planet in that entire section of the galaxy.
The whole map thing as you say sort of made sense and maybe i missed something but how did anyone get the map of Luke's location in the first place?

It's not like he jumped in a ship and flew off to some distant part of the galaxy to exile himself to get away from everyone, and then sent someone an email with part of a map showing where he was.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
It's not like he jumped in a ship and flew off to some distant part of the galaxy to exile himself to get away from everyone, and then sent someone an email with part of a map showing where he was.
Or maybe he did exactly that? A lot of the logic in this film boils down to "they'll explain it in the next movie probably".

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
"Everyone can track the Millenium Falcon"

Cut to Millenium Falcon flying to super secret location of Luke Skywalker.

Other than that I could have sat in the cinema watching it for another 4 or 5 hours. It was really very good.

stevoc

One thing that the prequels did right. Not always in execution mind you, but at least there was some variety attempted.
Yeah as you say it was the execution where they went wrong, back then not many movies had that much CGI and i think it was jarring for most people but it's common place today. But for all their faults the prequels were very creative and tried to introduce lots of new ideas.

I really hope after this movie everyone has gotten over their aversion to CGI in star wars movies and we don't get the same landscapes over and over again.

Or maybe he did exactly that? A lot of the logic in this film boils down to "they'll explain it in the next movie probably".
Maybe mate i hope it's explained at some point as it's a pretty big plot hole considering this whole movie was based around that map.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Yeah as you say it was the execution where they went wrong, back then not many movies had that much CGI and i think it was jarring for most people but it's common place today. But for all their faults the prequels were very creative and tried to introduce lots of new ideas.

I really hope after this movie everyone has gotten over their aversion to CGI in star wars movies and we don't get the same landscapes over and over again.

Maybe mate i hope it's explained at some point as it's a pretty big plot hole considering this whole movie was based around that map.
There's a big difference in CGI landscapes and CGI everything which is what the Prequels did.

I sank in my chair with complete love when they entered that cantina. Pretty much everything in that looked real. Didn't spot much CGI during that sequence and no annoying singing alien.

stevoc

There's a big difference in CGI landscapes and CGI everything which is what the Prequels did.

I sank in my chair with complete love when they entered that cantina. Pretty much everything in that looked real. Didn't spot much CGI during that sequence and no annoying singing alien.
Well thats sort of my point mate, we don't need everything CGI but using some to make interesting new planets would be nice. They've done the Desert/Ice/Forest planets to death at this point, there must be other different types of planets in the galaxy surely.

Revan

Assumptionman

You don't like singing aliens?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Well thats sort of my point mate, we don't need everything CGI but using some to make interesting new planets would be nice. They've done the Desert/Ice/Forest planets to death at this point, there must be other different types of planets in the galaxy surely.
But my point is that people weren't upset about CGI being used for locations (although you can still spot em a mile off). The issue is that the prequels had CGI in the foreground and background.

Lord of the Rings managed some amazing locations using Bigatures to give the foreground a real vibe. While using CGI for the background. That worked so well. Into Darkness made a red jungle for the opening sequence but CGI'd the rest and the contrast between real and CGI was jarring.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
If Rey is Luke's daughter, then it isn't random at all.
So he would've happily been destroyed, without relaying this important information, to even Luke's sister, despite him and BB8 both being in the same room, with both halves of the map, for the last hour of the film, unless Rey just happened to have turned up? That sounds counterproductive at the very least..

Last edited:

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history

Yeah that was the best thing JJ did tbf. Bound to help the actors too. Must be easier to pull off all that hokey dialogue if you can see what you're supposed to be talking too.

The crappest things in this were the cgi characters again. Snoke looked like a shit voldermort.

NinjaFletch

I thought Jedi's weren't supposed to love and have sex and shit so how could Rey be Luke's daughter if he's this paragon of the light side that he's put up to be?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I thought Jedi's weren't supposed to love and have sex and shit so how could Rey be Luke's daughter if he's this paragon of the light side that he's put up to be?
He was the last Jedi, he could do what he liked tbf. Might also explain why he failed epicly to teach Ben.

Too much emphasis is being put on what the prequels told us which was a very different time in the Galaxy. Also thought it was pretty clear to me that they tried their best to not reference those films at all. To me this seemed like an apology film.

stevoc

But my point is that people weren't upset about CGI being used for locations (although you can still spot em a mile off). The issue is that the prequels had CGI in the foreground and background.

Lord of the Rings managed some amazing locations using Bigatures to give the foreground a real vibe. While using CGI for the background. That worked so well. Into Darkness made a red jungle for the opening sequence but CGI'd the rest and the contrast between real and CGI was jarring.
Thats a common theory but it's not entirely true though, the first one alone had more practical models, sets and miniatures than the three original movies combined. And yet people still think it's all CGI. The whole pod race bar i think some of the alien pilots was mostly models. The water planet scenes in the second one was mostly models filmed then upscaled and even in the third one all the scenes on the Cave and Lava planets at the end were all miniatures. The prequels were some of the first big movies to combine practical and digital effects.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/07/23/10-re...quel-trilogy-deserves-another-chance-5309490/

But it also had more CGI than people were used to seeing at that point in time which was my point, people seen some CGI and assumed it was all CGI. These days you have movies like Avatar where it's 70-80% CGI and no one really batted an eyelid.

Lucas and his company back then were inventing and working on visual effects techniques that most of the CGI these days is based on. They probably went too far for the time but at least they were being creative.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
so..

in the books Ren is 'Jacen', son of the Solos. He has a twin sister. He's the star pupil at the Jedi academy but is obsessed with his grandfather. He meets a Sith lady, who secretly grooms him to the dark side. He severs all ties with Lukes training. She tells him that he needs an apprentice so he starts training Luke's son 'Ben' as his apprentice.

As part of his secret Sith training, Jacen is told that he needs to kill Luke (as far as I remember), though he's still a bit torn, hes swaying to the dark side more

This is where the movie is coming from, though its all a bit mixed up. I hope that they show the backstory a bit more.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
so..

in the books Ren is 'Jacen', son of the Solos. He has a twin sister. He's the star pupil at the Jedi academy but is obsessed with his grandfather. He meets a Sith lady, who secretly grooms him to the dark side. He severs all ties with Lukes training. She tells him that he needs an apprentice so he starts training Luke's son 'Ben' as his apprentice.

As part of his secret Sith training, Jacen is told that he needs to kill Luke (as far as I remember), though he's still a bit torn, hes swaying to the dark side more

This is where the movie is coming from, though its all a bit mixed up. I hope that they show the backstory a bit more.
Didn't Jacen turn dark only after he got tortured from those aliens (and when heard about Anakin Solo's death)? Also, IIRC, he killed Mara Jade who was his master (similarily how Vader killed Kenobi) as the final act in turning dark. Rey saw a women in her vision which I thought should be her mum, and if Rey is really Luke's daughter, then it would make sense for her mum to be killed in that massacre, which would be a nice analogy to Jade's death.

Rey being initially a scavenger plays nice with Jaina being a scavenger too. And then realizing that she is strong in the Force.

Just for god's sake, no training with Boba Fett this time.

Dumbat12

so..

Also, the movies borrow a lot of things from the KOTOR games. Kylo's mask is almost identical to Revan's, the whole Luke dissapearing and everyone searching for him is very similiar to Revan's. Some people even theorized that Luke is on Lehon, the planet which Revan got the secrets of the Star Forge. The Star Killer is identical to the Star Forge. Not to mention most of the force powers that were used in the movie were introduced in those games as well. Force Statis, Mind Control, etc. There is also an ongoing theory that Rey's memory has been wiped, just like Revan was. Malachor and it's destruction are taken straight from the games.

Also, is it just me or many of the sound effects from the movie are taken directly from KOTOR?

All in all, even if the EU was wiped, they are still taking things very heavily from it, which I'm quite happy about. The EU had some absolutely amazing stories, better than the OT even.

Grib

Just seen it a second time, much better this time round. Not wondering who everyone is and being aware of the constant nods to ANH, just able to sit back and enjoy it

A few things, Rey is already aware on some subconscious level of the Island Luke is on, so has she been there before?

Finn isn't necessarily force sensitive as watching him fight Ren again, he was shit, Ren bossed him

Why did Rey and Leigh embrace after returning from star killer base, she doesn't know her?

Does Ren's helmet block other's trying to use the force on his mind(ala magneto in xmen) it isn't until he removes it that Ray is able to feel/see his thoughts

Something about Snoke reminds me of Palpatine

Does Po have some jedi about him, the first ariel battle, how can a normal man pilot like that?

Major plot suprise, the temple of the first jedi on Skillig Michael, is actually Skillig Michael and the unknown system is the milky way?

Jokes on the last one obvious

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Thats a common theory but it's not entirely true though, the first one alone had more practical models, sets and miniatures than the three original movies combined. And yet people still think it's all CGI. The whole pod race bar i think some of the alien pilots was mostly models. The water planet scenes in the second one was mostly models filmed then upscaled and even in the third one all the scenes on the Cave and Lava planets at the end were all miniatures. The prequels were some of the first big movies to combine practical and digital effects.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/07/23/10-re...quel-trilogy-deserves-another-chance-5309490/

But it also had more CGI than people were used to seeing at that point in time which was my point, people seen some CGI and assumed it was all CGI. These days you have movies like Avatar where it's 70-80% CGI and no one really batted an eyelid.

Lucas and his company back then were inventing and working on visual effects techniques that most of the CGI these days is based on. They probably went too far for the time but at least they were being creative.
Several of the main characters in the prequels were CGI though, mix that in with CGI extras and CGI environments and you lose all sense of immersion. Immersion being a word we use a lot in the games industry because it's so important.

It's why this film worked so much better. The real to CGI ratio was improved and therefore it's easier to get immersed.

It's one of my pet hates about the Hobbit films but I won't rant about those in here!!

Spoony

The People's President
Well he's very young, early 20s? I didn't pay enough attention when Han was talking about what happened at Luke's Academy. But who is he meant to duel with and hone his skills? You can see during the film that he hadn't fully committed to the dark side until he killed Han. So you have a character who's basically an apprentice still take on someone who clearly had more natural ability. The fella was also badly wounded, I took the punching the side of his stomach to stop him from passing out. To give him an adrenaline push. He was also an emotional wreck which is never a good combo with the force and he was trying to recruit her.

What we'll see with Rey IMO is him becoming darker, more powerful as the films progress. Then we get to witness a far better story arc for that character.

The only bit that annoyed me during that scene was the ground breaking up. Also it delivered for me the best bit when Rey force pulled the light saber. That was perfect.

Awww come on, surely lightsaber dueling can't be all that different to wielding swords?! The man is set to become the new Vader, surely, he'd be more natural? That said, yes he's wet behind the ears and no doubt set to become bigger and badder next film.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Awww come on, surely lightsaber dueling can't be all that different to wielding swords?! The man is set to become the new Vader, surely, he'd be more natural? That said, yes he's wet behind the ears and no doubt set to become bigger and badder next film.
Well it was obvious he was pretty good at using force moves. But don't think there are many people with lightsabers left to do duelling practice!

Also it's hard to understand before we know a bit more about Reys past. Until we know that we can't put it into perspective. Although I think the whole Academy theory is wrong because it doesn't work out with their assumed ages. She looked young when she was abandoned and Ben would have to be older than he is to explain him choosing the dark side and rebelling.

stevoc

Several of the main characters in the prequels were CGI though, mix that in with CGI extras and CGI environments and you lose all sense of immersion. Immersion being a word we use a lot in the games industry because it's so important.

It's why this film worked so much better. The real to CGI ratio was improved and therefore it's easier to get immersed.

It's one of my pet hates about the Hobbit films but I won't rant about those in here!!
Well yeah i'll give you that, i don't think the technology was quite there yet back then to do full CG characters and make them believable. And Jar Jar being an annoying prick didn't help people warm to the idea.

With the new movie i think they might have went a bit too far the other way. There's so much practical stuff, that CG characters like Snoke, Maz and the guy handing out rations actually look a bit out of place.

Revan

Assumptionman
Also, the movies borrow a lot of things from the KOTOR games. Kylo's mask is almost identical to Revan's, the whole Luke dissapearing and everyone searching for him is very similiar to Revan's. Some people even theorized that Luke is on Lehon, the planet which Revan got the secrets of the Star Forge. The Star Killer is identical to the Star Forge. Not to mention most of the force powers that were used in the movie were introduced in those games as well. Force Statis, Mind Control, etc. There is also an ongoing theory that Rey's memory has been wiped, just like Revan was. Malachor and it's destruction are taken straight from the games.

Also, is it just me or many of the sound effects from the movie are taken directly from KOTOR?

All in all, even if the EU was wiped, they are still taking things very heavily from it, which I'm quite happy about. The EU had some absolutely amazing stories, better than the OT even.
If Rey's memory has really been wiped (and it looks quite likely), then it is basically the same plot as Revan's.

Star Killer to Star Forge though, I don't agree. Star Killer is basically Death Star. Star Forge was really different.

Haven't heard Lehon theory yet. If it was the first Jedi Temple, then it has to be on Tython, unless Luke was asking for pre-Jedi temples (like Jed'dai or the order before it).

Definitely agree with the last line. While EU is wiped, very clearly they are taking inspiration from it. Kylo Ren is extremely similar to Jacen Solo.

NinjaFletch

In an early version of the script Ren reportedly had a droid that sounds an awful lot like HK47 which probably supports your theory.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
I watched ESB again last night and then, just cos the missus went to bed, put on revenge of the sith. And the difference in the quality of the two was startling.
Revenge of the sith is an extremely shit movie, very nearly as bad as PM and AOTC. Anyone who thinks it's any good needs their head read.
fecking dreadful, cringey.
Hayden Christianson is a terrible terrible actor, he only really looks any good when he starts to go a bit dark, but then the story and terrible dialogue ruin anything that was lined up for him. Natalie Portman is bad in it too. That bit where she's dying and naming the kids. I mean what the actual feck is going on there? The guy who built the most exciting movie franchise ever let it turn to that. Staggering.
It's like a bloody cartoon there's that much cgi in it too.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I couldn't keep a straight face whenever anyone mentioned the name Snoke. I mean, come on, that's a ridiculous name, even for Star Wars. He also didn't look like he fit in this film, aesthetically.

I actually thought Kylo Ren was quite good - up until he got easily beaten by magic plotting - but then I've probably got a slightly different view of acceptable masculinity to rednev.
Yeah, it's a silly name. He did seem like he's got the potential to be quite fearsome, but then when you get that name it's difficult to take him at all seriously. While I don't mind non-human type villains, I'd have rather something closer to the Emperor than a CGI character.:lol:

Ren was good since, while he's still a bad guy, there was at least a bit of conflict in him. If they hadn't gone with that sort of angle then he'd have pretty much been an angrier clone of Vader.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
It was an awesome...first half of a movie.
I loved everything till the main action scene. They didn't have to do a Death Star and they definitely didn't have to do one with a weakness found even as it closes in on the rebel base. Still, minor gripe.

But I was seriously disappointed by Kylo Ren. He should have finished off Finn in seconds and Rey in a minute. The fact that he got beaten by an untrained random either means he's the weakest dark-side guy we've ever seen or that she has the potential to finish off any Sith if she gets halfway through her training.

And R2D2 suddenly waking up...did I miss something or was that the droid being awakened by the force of plot convenience?