Film Star wars SPOILER thread (post here if you have seen the film)

Mal donaghy

Luke was just a farmer stuck with Michael Owen and Java Script people but blew up Death Star in every special edition of the movie but I still would want to be a ripped scavenger with hidden force, pair of solid tits, living in AT-AT and eating instant soups from Manchester United sponsors.
:lol: I nearly pissed my pants, my hat tipped to you sir, thanks I needed that !!

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
Definitely done to death, read back through this thread to debunk yourself.

NinjaFletch

I rewatched it again the other day and once again and, just like the first time I watched it, found myself bored by the half way point.

And thats a real shame, because theres so much action, and so much to like that its almost an impressive feat that they've managed to make it so incredibly dull. I'm not even sure what the problem is, but its not a problem of pacing; Mad Max was basically a continuous action scene and there wasn't a dull moment. But I think its because it just feels so incredibly pointless, you've seen this story before, you know Finn and Rey will survive the film and none of the action scenes (with the possible exception of the lightsaber fight at the end) feel like they're entertaining in their own right.

What makes it worse, is the first 10-15 minutes of the film are comfortably the most entertaining, it just feels right. The new characters all are introduced in a interesting way and it does an incredibly good job of setting out why you should care about them. Then Finn and Rey get on the Millennium Falcon and the film just turns to a mediocre re-hashing of a tired formula.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Rewatched it.

It's a combination of Rey being all-powerful, and equally Kylo Ren losing his powers.
Till the point she is captured, you can be sure of their relative abilities in combat. We had seen Kylo display some good force powers (stopping the blaster, mind-tricking Poe, toying with Rey and making her faint). Rey managed to reverse the mind trick. That's IMO believable (maybe she was very strong and that's what happens when you resist it).

Then she managed to trick the trooper without apparently knowing what the force is. Hm?

Then in the final fight, first Kylo demolishes Rey with a force push. He wants the lightsaber from Finn. He doesn't try to use the force to take it and walk off. Hmmm.

Then he takes ages to beat someone completely untrained and not strong with the force, even taking a hit from Finn. ?

Finally she manages to fight with him evenly, which is stretching credibility, and then she slaughters him in probably the most one-sided lightsaber fight in all 6 movies. What???

Apart from that, I really liked Finn this time around. Nice character. Poe and Rey are fine too. The pace of the entire film is terrific. And the whole Starkiller Base plot is ridiculous and unnecessary.
We saw very different films. We saw her fail to trick the trooper and then succeed when trying again. It's very obvious through the flashbacks and sequences that she's been trained in the force before, possibly had her memory wiped and it's coming back to her. Kylo himself knows who she is and has met her before which is confirmed in the book.

He doesn't take ages to beat anyone, he wipes the floor with Finn and toys with him. Avoids every attack and messes with him, sending him back and only after Finn lands a lucky blow he immediately puts him down and slices his back up. Immediately.

He effortlessly dodges everything Rey tries and then he holds her there while he tries to lure her over to the dark side. He isn't trying to kill her, he wants her as an apprentice. This much is completely obvious. She then has her epiphany and knocks him down. There's maybe a slight argument that what happens after that is a bit OP but certainly not what happens before that. Plus what happens after that may well be explained in the next film anyway. 'Slaughters' him is just a nonsense word to use to describe what actually happened.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
'Slaughters' him is just a nonsense word to use to describe what actually happened.
So, this is from the rebels cartoon.
The 2 guys fighting Vader are a semi-trained Jedi and a very young Padawan. Both have used their lightsabers before, and as you will see, aren't too shabby with the force. (> Rey, and there are 2 of them)
On the other hand, Vader is monstrously strong (>> Kylo)
So I'd expect the relative gap here and between Rey/Ren to be the same order of magnitude.

That's what I expected Kylo to do to Finn, and, with a hint of resistance, to Rey.

Last edited:

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
That's what I expected Kylo to do to Finn, and, with a hint of resistance, to Rey.
But Kylo had just killed his father and been shot by a powerful blaster - they made it particularly clear how injured (and unstable) he was. I just don't get why people have been so hung up on this.

Edit - What @Zarlak said.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
But Kylo had just killed his father and been shot by a powerful blaster - they made it particularly clear how injured (and unstable) he was. I just don't get why people have been so hung up on this.

Edit - What @Zarlak said.
I know, but couldn't he just force-pull the saber and walk off? Seconds before he blasted Rey with a force-push, he looked strong at that moment.

Meh. It's not an exact science, I don't think we'll ever agree.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Just saw this again. The people complaining about her being too powerful are terrible nitpickers. In a film full of implausible moments it doesn't particularly stand out.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
It's a fecking film, a piece of fiction about space, about two armies in space, doing space stuff.
I find the fact people using our physics and biology to bash it with, utterly bizarre.
If the bad guys were completely infallable it would make for a very short film indeed.