Film Star wars SPOILER thread (post here if you have seen the film)

Sigma

Finally saw this. Good but not exceptional. Vaguely disappointed by a lot of things in the film. I'm convinced the series needs better directors; perhaps someone of the Nolan calibre to move things forward.
Vastly overrated. Not bad but not great, 7/10 for me.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Beautiful track, fitting the grace of her character but I find it hard to hum it as it clearly lacks that catch and epic punch Yoda's or Leia's themes had... and we're possibly talking about a member of Skywalker's family. Perhaps the motive will build itself to something more in next chapters, hopefully.
Grace of her character?! Should have been a xylophone ditty to reflect her woodenness.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Grace of her character?! Should have been a xylophone ditty to reflect her woodenness.
I love the characters in this movie. It's the script that was a total cop out but that's just my bias towards SW.

She's no Leia though... there will be no one like Leia & Messi.

kps88

She was poor. Really flat line delivery and minimal character development.
She went from a scavenger to confident Jedi in one movie. How much more character development do you want?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
She was poor. Really flat line delivery and minimal character development.
Apart from that really good bit where she developed from Jedi-ignorant luddite to master telekinetic user in the space of one scene.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Luke was just a farmer stuck with Michael Owen and Java Script people but blew up Death Star in every special edition of the movie but I still would want to be a ripped scavenger with hidden force, pair of solid tits, living in AT-AT and eating instant soups from Manchester United sponsors.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
I've rewatched this now. Still no complaints about the lightsaber fighting.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I've rewatched this now. Still no complaints about the lightsaber fighting.
Same, noticed a few things too.

Like Rey dreaming of an ocean and an island which seems odd given she lived on Jabba. Perhaps shes been go the planet Lukes on before. Also noticed that R2D2 woke up when Rey was on the planet, coincidence? Also in the memory sequence Rey looked very young when she was abandoned, so not sure how that fits with the theory that was trained beforehand. Finally what the hell was that hug about with Leia? Why would she do that to a complete stranger, seems out of place tbh.

Enjoyed it loads, only thing that bothered me was the plot hole regarding Poe and the final rebel attack on the planet with a fleet composing of about 20 xwings.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM

Like Rey dreaming of an ocean and an island which seems odd given she lived on Jabba. Perhaps shes been go the planet Lukes on before. Also noticed that R2D2 woke up when Rey was on the planet, coincidence? Also in the memory sequence Rey looked very young when she was abandoned, so not sure how that fits with the theory that was trained beforehand. Finally what the hell was that hug about with Leia? Why would she do that to a complete stranger, seems out of place tbh.

Enjoyed it loads, only thing that bothered me was the plot hole regarding Poe and the final rebel attack on the planet with a fleet composing of about 20 xwings.
Thought they made it quite clear that R2 woke up when they Rey first got to the planet -

Meaning either that he woke up because Rey was there, or, more likely, because the rest of Luke's map had arrived on his planet.

prateik

Redsky ma bookie.. Jabba was fat. but not THAT fat.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Thought they made it quite clear that R2 woke up when they Rey first got to the planet -

Meaning either that he woke up because Rey was there, or, more likely, because the rest of Luke's map had arrived on his planet.
Nah, the map was in BB8 and he arrived on the planet before the attack happened. So if that was the case R2D2 would have woken up when the Falcon arrived the first time.

The only difference I can tell was that Rey arrived. I thought initially it may have been the lightsaber that sparked him to life but Fin had that when he arrived the first time.

Whoever thought to name the planet Jakka needs slapping.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Nah, the map was in BB8 and he arrived on the planet before the attack happened. So if that was the case R2D2 would have woken up when the Falcon arrived the first time.

The only difference I can tell was that Rey arrived. I thought initially it may have been the lightsaber that sparked him to life but Fin had that when he arrived the first time.

Whoever thought to name the planet Jakka needs slapping.
Jakku.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I was so disappointed to see that Kylo Ren was the front man of Magic

Surely they could have got someone better and less whiny?

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
The pacing was just bad, everyone was too buddy buddy from the get go. Finn was annoying, the sweaty bastid. Every time Poe was on screen I couldn't help but play that awful dance scene from Ex Machina over and over in my head. The dialogue felt too modern at times, like it was a bunch of people role playing Han, Finn, Rey etc.

I enjoyed it, but it felt somewhat hallow. And rushed.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
I always get Adam Driver and Ezra Miller mixed up.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
The pacing was just bad, everyone was too buddy buddy from the get go. Finn was annoying, the sweaty bastid. Every time Poe was on screen I couldn't help but play that awful dance scene from Ex Machina over and over in my head. The dialogue felt too modern at times, like it was a bunch of people role playing Han, Finn, Rey etc.

That dance scene is great. Even better if you imagine him doing it in his ivan ooze costume.

Parry Gallister

Only saw it once but thought it was good, even if a total rehash. Pace was too fast, typical modern blockbuster nonsense mind. Was wary of Rey beforehand, dreading it actually, assumed she'd be the stereotypical 'strong female' cliche with crappy one-liners etc but left the film thinking she was one of the best parts in it, thought they handled the character really well and the jedi twist I didn't expect - thought that would be Finn.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff

You don't like the ex machina dance scene? :eek:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Apparently Ade Edmonson is going to be in the next one. I had to check the story wasn't three days late.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
It was hilarious. Completely left field too. Datirishfella is just a boring old git.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
I'm glad I haven't just got the wrong end of the stick. I thought it was great. Might watch it again tonight just for that scene.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
That dance scene should be edited into every movie that gets bad reviews because it would instantly improve them.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Rewatched it.

It's a combination of Rey being all-powerful, and equally Kylo Ren losing his powers.
Till the point she is captured, you can be sure of their relative abilities in combat. We had seen Kylo display some good force powers (stopping the blaster, mind-tricking Poe, toying with Rey and making her faint). Rey managed to reverse the mind trick. That's IMO believable (maybe she was very strong and that's what happens when you resist it).

Then she managed to trick the trooper without apparently knowing what the force is. Hm?

Then in the final fight, first Kylo demolishes Rey with a force push. He wants the lightsaber from Finn. He doesn't try to use the force to take it and walk off. Hmmm.

Then he takes ages to beat someone completely untrained and not strong with the force, even taking a hit from Finn. ?

Finally she manages to fight with him evenly, which is stretching credibility, and then she slaughters him in probably the most one-sided lightsaber fight in all 6 movies. What???

Apart from that, I really liked Finn this time around. Nice character. Poe and Rey are fine too. The pace of the entire film is terrific. And the whole Starkiller Base plot is ridiculous and unnecessary.