g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Film Star wars SPOILER thread (post here if you have seen the film)

Scarecrow

Having a week off
It was originally may 2017, now changed to december. With episode 7 making a tonne of money in december they probably reckon it will be better coming out then instead of the summer when a load of big movies are released.
They're rewriting the script, apparently. This is the reason for the delay. Or so I read.

Siorac

It could beat Avatar in China and still come nowhere close. Avatar did well all over internationally.
But why?

I sort of enjoyed Avatar and I'm not ashamed of it. But never in a million years would I have dreamed that it becomes the highest grossing film of all time. It's bizarre.

stevoc

They're rewriting the script, apparently. This is the reason for the delay. Or so I read.
I've no doubt there is practical reasons for the delay as well. But i remember reading Disney were nervous about releasing the first one in december because traditionally movies don't do that well over christmas. But with Episode 7 doing so well i wouldn't be surprised if they could have still released it in May if they really wanted to but just prefer December now. I think the first spin off is coming out in December as well.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
But why?

I sort of enjoyed Avatar and I'm not ashamed of it. But never in a million years would I have dreamed that it becomes the highest grossing film of all time. It's bizarre.
Marketing > Quality.

kps88

But why?

I've actually tried reading up on this because I was surprised Star Wars beat it so handily in the US but was still miles behind it internationally. Avatar did exceptionally well in Europe.

Like others have said, being the first proper 3D mainstream movie really helped. I also think the plot was so basic and familiar, it made it more accessible than something like Star Wars. Competition wasn't that great when it released as well.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Marketing > Quality.
Marketing for Star Wars was huge as well so I doubt that's the answer.

As @kps88 said, I think it's a mix between the 3D novelty (and to be fair, it used 3D extremely well, much better than any film I've seen since) and the fact it was a very accessible and comfortable film for everyone. Same as Titanic back in the day, very easy story.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Avatar was the film equivalent of, as Stewart Lee would say, "drinking warm diarrhoea through a straw."

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Marketing for Star Wars was huge as well so I doubt that's the answer.

As @kps88 said, I think it's a mix between the 3D novelty (and to be fair, it used 3D extremely well, much better than any film I've seen since) and the fact it was a very accessible and comfortable film for everyone. Same as Titanic back in the day, very easy story.
Star Wars's marketing was huge, yes, and it was also very good. The film made an incredible amount of money, without being a masterpiece on its own. Marketing is the answer, as far as box-office is concerned.

Anyway, he was asking how Avatar made its money, not why Star Wars couldn't make as much. You could say it was because of the 3D novelty, sure. That was the basis of their marketing strategy though. They were the ones that hyped and used what they have in an optimal way. The marketing was solely focused on the historic technology and innovation that would "change the film industry" and people wanted to see that, be a part of that. Nobody said Avatar would be an amazing film before the release which is why nobody cared if it's amazing or not during the screening. The story was shit, the acting was average, but people didn't go to the cinema to see these things. All the ads for the film told them - go to see it for the 3D. And it delivered.

Last edited:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Star Wars's marketing was huge, yes, and it was also very good. The film made an incredible amount of money, without being a masterpiece on its own. Marketing is the answer, as far as box-office is concerned.

Anyway, he was asking how Avatar made its money, not why Star Wars couldn't make as much. You could say it was because of the 3D novelty, sure. That was the basis of their marketing strategy though. The were the ones that hyped it and deserve the credit for that.
I thought you meant the difference between Star Wars and Avatar was marketing, sorry I misunderstood you. I agree with your point about marketing for blockbusters.

I just think that the reason why Star Wars is going to go down as a bit less successful than Avatar is that even though it has a lot of fans (and true fanatics in the strongest sense of the word), there is a huge amount of people who actually dislike it or don't have any interest whatsoever for the universe so won't go to see it. In that sense, I think Avatar could please a wider audience.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I thought you meant the difference between Star Wars and Avatar was marketing, sorry I misunderstood you. I agree with your point about marketing for blockbusters.

I just think that the reason why Star Wars is going to go down as a bit less successful than Avatar is that even though it has a lot of fans (and true fanatics in the strongest sense of the word), there is a huge amount of people who actually dislike it or don't have any interest whatsoever for the universe so won't go to see it. In that sense, I think Avatar could please a wider audience.
Definitely. Star Wars relied on its established fan base. This is why it's really big in the west and failed (relatively speaking) in Asia. The franchise was never as popular there.

Avatar had no such constrictions. It was something new and not done before. Everyone wanted to be a part of it (more in my previous post).

Big Andy

Bloke
Wasn't avatar the first to use pure 3D cameras instead of doing the 3D conversion post production? I think everyone I knew who went to see it saw it in 3D because it was touted as the best thing ever in the world...

Me, I just waited and downloaded the Blu-Ray rip when it landed...

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
Avatar was a terrible movie, if it were released now we'd be ripping it to pieces.
Looked pretty though, I'll give them that.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Avatar was a terrible movie, if it were released now we'd be ripping it to pieces.
Looked pretty though, I'll give them that.
It's second place amongst my "movies I regret paying to go watch." Hard to beat Paul Blart Mall Cop.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Definitely. Star Wars relied on its established fan base. This is why it's really big in the west and failed (relatively speaking) in Asia. The franchise was never as popular there.
I think this film does a good job distancing itself as a sequel and making it more standalone. Most references to past movies are explained in-movie so that anyone who hasn't watched earlier movies are not totally lost (though it helps to have watched earlier movies).

Avatar had the big 3D novelty factor as cutting edge entertainment movie and SW lacks that. I do rate SW-TFA as a better movie than Avatar.

Revan

Assumptionman
@Revan what do you think of this?

He shares some similarities with Anakin (loyal to people, not concepts), started training late, extremely skilled, and might have some dark side potential. But then Luke shares all those characteristics, and is probably the most light character in the entire saga (including EU).

However, I would be surprised (and quite disappointed) if this really happens.

Btw, the new lightsaber was used only after we saw Kylo using it. In season 1 and 2, he used a conventional saber.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
He shares some similarities with Anakin (loyal to people, not concepts), started training late, extremely skilled, and might have some dark side potential. But then Luke shares all those characteristics, and is probably the most light character in the entire saga (including EU).

However, I would be surprised (and quite disappointed) if this really happens.

Btw, the new lightsaber was used only after we saw Kylo using it. In season 1 and 2, he used a conventional saber.
I wouldn't say it was conventional, it had a gun in the hilt ffs! :lol: I do find the hints in the trailer that he's going to fall to the dark side interesting.

Revan

Assumptionman
I wouldn't say it was conventional, it had a gun in the hilt ffs! :lol: I do find the hints in the trailer that he's going to fall to the dark side interesting.
Yeah, it has a gun. The funny thing is that he uses the gun most of the time anyway (even after he learns to use the lightsaber). It was a shock to the poor fella when he realized that a gun doesn't work against force users.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
Interesting theory here, a lot of people complained about the nature of Han-Solo's death and that it should have been a selfless act that saved other characters, maybe it was the ultimate selfless act to save his son, it was certainly shot in such a way to support this:

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
There was a struggle, you see Han begin to look surprised and their hands are clearly shaking when it cuts back down to the saber. The little touch was forgiveness despite what he'd just done, and more powerful for it.

prateik

Yeah. Han was afraid of Snoke. Snoke couldnt find and kill the others but there was no hope of saving Kylo.
I totally believe that.

El-Manos

What are people's thoughts on the new director for episode 7? Is JJ Abrams still involved ?

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
What are people's thoughts on the new director for episode 7? Is JJ Abrams still involved ?
Hes exec producer I think.
Don't know really. Saw Jumper over X as for the first time, it was ok, enjoyed it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Finally saw this. Good but not exceptional. Vaguely disappointed by a lot of things in the film. I'm convinced the series needs better directors; perhaps someone of the Nolan calibre to move things forward.

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
Finally saw this. Good but not exceptional. Vaguely disappointed by a lot of things in the film. I'm convinced the series needs better directors; perhaps someone of the Nolan calibre to move things forward.
Would definitely not like Star Wars to be directed by Nolan, feel like he'd suck all the fun out of it and make it into some serious, dramatic sci-fi series. Don't get me wrong I do love Nolan but Star Wars would be a no-no for sure IMO.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Would definitely not like Star Wars to be directed by Nolan, feel like he'd suck all the fun out of it and make it into some serious, dramatic sci-fi series. Don't get me wrong I do love Nolan but Star Wars would be a no-no for sure IMO.
I thought this film was far too much predictable nostalgia and not enough of a mind feck. Abrams had plenty of chances to develop some of the characters and go a bit darker, but he managed to somehow cock it up.

Thought this article is pretty much spot on - http://movieweb.com/star-wars-force-awakens-everything-wrong/

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
I thought this film was far too much predictable nostalgia and not enough of a mind feck. Abrams had plenty of chances to develop some of the characters and go a bit darker, but he managed to somehow cock it up.

Thought this article is pretty much spot on - http://movieweb.com/star-wars-force-awakens-everything-wrong/
Sure, I'm not denying any of that, was just commenting on Nolan. Although I'm sure he's a talented enough director to do it I'd be worried to see him take his usual dark spin on things.

Member 39557

Sure, I'm not denying any of that, was just commenting on Nolan. Although I'm sure he's a talented enough director to do it I'd be worried to see him take his usual dark spin on things.
Empire was quite dark. Nolan could work on an Empire style Star Wars film.

Spoony

The People's President
I didn't like it at all but heh it'll make loads of wonga. That's all that matters, right?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Empire was quite dark. Nolan could work on an Empire style Star Wars film.
Definitely worth of risk as the original Star Wars movie was nothing but experimental piece of cinematography. It would probably be a first Star Wars movie with Hans Zimmer's music and to be honest good choice. Williams really didn't recreated the magic with his compositions in the new one. It was pretty bland and forgettable from a symphony junkie standpoint that is.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Definitely worth of risk as the original Star Wars movie was nothing but experimental piece of cinematography. It would probably be a first Star Wars movie with Hans Zimmer's music and to be honest good choice. Williams really didn't recreated the magic with his compositions in the new one. It was pretty bland and forgettable from a symphony junkie standpoint that is.
Agreed. The only music that stood out was when the original score was used. Zimmers music actually improves the film, he's a genius I really do believe that.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I like Reys theme.
Beautiful track, fitting the grace of her character but I find it hard to hum it as it clearly lacks that catch and epic punch Yoda's or Leia's themes had... and we're possibly talking about a member of Skywalker's family. Perhaps the motive will build itself to something more in next chapters, hopefully.