Film Star wars SPOILER thread (post here if you have seen the film)

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Very fair insight, and well illustrated. Never occurred to me what that confrontation meant to each of them on a personal level.
Thanks! Glad my many posts in here aren't totally in vain :lol:
Except this superiority is never shown in Ren. All he shows is a struggle with the light side of the force. No superiority complex and no thinking he is the second strongest guy in the galaxy. In fact, all he has dome throughout the movie is question his abilities and continue to have his power undermined.
Except it clearly is, multiple times. In his scene with Max von Sydow's character he drips with arrogance, then he freezes the blaster bolt in mid air purely to highlight his power (and it works, check Dameron's reaction to it), then he tells Poe he's going to take what he wants from his mind and does, then he treats Hux like a subordinate because he knows there's no contest between them. Only once this tall stature has been built do they start introducing the doubt into his character with the "shrine" scene and his lapses into childlike anger, until by the time he gets to interrogating Rey, you know he's like a house of cards. That scene is doubly interesting from that respect, in Rey he sees someone dangerous, and Rey sees his fragility. He reverts back to showing off in the final fights because he doesn't just want win, he wants them humiliated, he wants the feeling of superiority back. If he wins that, where is his motivation to improve for the next film coming from? A slight scare when he was in Rey's mind? He had to lose to Rey and be humiliated himself.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Ren spent the last god knows how long thinking himself superior to everyone else bar Snoke due to his abilities, and there's no-one really around to challenge that assumption. As a result he's lazy and careless, but deep down full of insecurity about his true power, and the worry that leaving his family was the wrong choice. He's clearly shocked when someone at last pushes back against him - it's the first time he's been genuinely threatened in years.
The ship's army captain continuously argues with him and competes with Ren every scene they are together in the movie. Except for the opening blaster shot stopping scene, I can't think of a single scene where he establishes his supremacy.

That was a bit confusing to be honest. They really should have taken an extra few minutes in the movie to explain the political landscape in the galaxy.
Just browsed through the official book. And it starts with how the people debated and discussed and wasted time without agreeing on anything post death of the empire, a la a dysfunctional modern democracy. And the remanants of Empire became the start of the First Order. Seems that the inefficiency in establishing an alternate led to the next evil. So close to current Saddam/Iraq/ISIS situation.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
The ship's army captain continuously argues with him and competes with Ren every scene they are together in the movie. Except for the opening blaster shot stopping scene, I can't think of a single scene where he establishes his supremacy.
Competes, yeah, it's never really in doubt who's the superior though, is it? Hux is another expendable bod at the end of the day with plenty around that can replace him. Ren's uniquely powerful. At least, until Rey shows up. Snoke even rubs it in by telling Hux to go pick Ren up when the planet's collapsing, a courtesy he knows full well wouldn't be extended to him.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Competes, yeah, it's never really in doubt who's the superior though, is it? Hux is another expendable bod at the end of the day with plenty around that can replace him. Ren's uniquely powerful. At least, until Rey shows up. Snoke even rubs it in by telling Hux to go pick Ren up when the planet's collapsing, a courtesy he knows full well wouldn't be extended to him.
I don't read it that way. Ren needs saving by Hux. And Hux's weapons were the tool chosen for destruction of rebels after Ren fails. They both appear as equals before Snoke too. Yes, Ren is special to Snoke but they did not depict him as any superior to Hux in the movie imo.

NM

There are 2 Sith's in the SW Universe, the species and the order. I thought Zarlak was referring to the species at first which Vader was not. He was a member of the order.
I'm aware of the species. Thought you were referring to the order.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I don't read it that way. Ren needs saving by Hux. And Hux's weapons were the tool chosen for destruction of rebels after Ren fails. They both appear as equals before Snoke too. Yes, Ren is special to Snoke but they did not depict him as any superior to Hux in the movie imo.
And Anakin needed saving by the Emperor within a fecking day of being named Darth Vader otherwise he'd have died. He still became one of the most powerful Sith (order, just to be clear) in the galaxy.

People read way too much into small things and make mountains out of molehills perceiving them in some way that they think reduces the character to nothing when in fact it does nothing to harm them. Ren's character has been critically acclaimed. It's not like the world thinks he's some pussy teenager.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
And Anakin needed saving by the Emperor within a fecking day of being named Darth Vader otherwise he'd have died. He still became one of the most powerful Sith (order, just to be clear) in the galaxy.

People read way too much into small things and make mountains out of molehills perceiving them in some way that they think reduces the character to nothing when in fact it does nothing to harm them. Ren's character has been critically acclaimed. It's not like the world thinks he's some pussy teenager.
Its universally reviled what they did to Vader in episode 3. Not sure that should be used as a barometer.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
I can't help it, I see you've posted and I know I'm going to get annoyed but I just can't help myself.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
How many new films are they releasing after the force awakens? Swear I read somewhere they're making a new one every year, including spin offs...Might've just had a mad dream

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
How many new films are they releasing after the force awakens? Swear I read somewhere they're making a new one every year, including spin offs...Might've just had a mad dream
Yeah they are. Rogue One is out xmas then part 8 is the following summer. Han Solo standalone is out the following year.
Definitely milking it.

stevoc

Yeah from what I've read they'll be releasing a new one every year for the foreseeable future.

As long as they keep making money they'll keep making them I suppose.

Zarlak

Just watched the Finn fight again, Ren clearly wipes the floor with him. Scene for scene, Finn charges at Ren and Ren pretty much just laughs him off toying with him. The first 10 seconds is Ren battering down on Finn and immediately within 7 seconds Ren knocks Finn to the ground. He turns away to smack his side which is bleeding all over the floor but could easily have ended the fight there within 7 seconds. All of you saying that Rey would have won because Ren was on the floor, well there you go. Finn knocked down in 7 seconds. Finn gets up, Ren turns and effortlessly dodges Finns attack and then forces him back to a tree with Finn trying to defend himself and failing. Ren pins him against a tree and toys with him, digging the crossguard into his shoulder and there's nothing he can do. You can see a smile on Ren's face as he's enjoying it while Finn screams. He is easily besting Finn. Easily. Finn hasn't done a single thing to him at this point. It's almost effortless and you can see he's enjoying taking his time with the smile on his face. Finn then lands one blow on Ren's shoulder and he decides to stop playing around. Ren immediately within 3 seconds, turns, disarms him and slice his back putting him down. So to anyone saying Finn held his own is talking bollocks. The entire fight he was getting battered. The second that Finn did anything besides lose badly, Ren ended the fight.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I reckon the spin off films are a mistake. Or at least they should have waited until the mainline films are done. Star Wars overkill.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Cheers, hoping it's not too long. Dying to see it again, and getting to the cinema is a major pain.

Lennon7

Yeah they are. Rogue One is out xmas then part 8 is the following summer. Han Solo standalone is out the following year.
Definitely milking it.
Are they all using the same production team and cast? Seems stupid. Might just give the spin offs a miss and watch them after 8 & 9 have come out.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
It'll be a different cast. Rogue one is set around the time of a New hope. I'd imagine the same production team does them.

stevoc

I reckon the spin off films are a mistake. Or at least they should have waited until the mainline films are done. Star Wars overkill.
I reckon this is only the tip of the iceberg. If the spinoffs are successful I could see them starting to release two or even three movies a year like they are doing with the Marvel films.

Revan

Assumptionman
We will have a film each year, for the next five years, and then, probably a few more.

SW is becoming like Marvel's movies.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I reckon this is only the tip of the iceberg. If the spinoffs are successful I could see them starting to release two or even three movies a year like they are doing with the Marvel films.
Perhaps we'll get spin-off TV shows. Start with Droids, about a group of young, energetic droids and their lives in a container they share. Then we get It's Always Sunny in Tatooine, a series following the amoral Cantina owners. Then we'll get a David Attenborough narrated Ewok documentary.

Lennon7

We will have a film each year, for the next five years, and then, probably a few more.

SW is becoming like Marvel's movies.
I suppose we can't complain if they're successful and good, but I hope they don't go off track with the story lines. Marvel has the comics to go by, all new Star Wars movies will have brand new content wouldn't it?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Perhaps we'll get spin-off TV shows. Start with Droids, about a group of young, energetic droids and their lives in a container they share. Then we get It's Always Sunny in Tatooine, a series following the amoral Cantina owners. Then we'll get a David Attenborough narrated Ewok documentary.
When do you start your job as Lucasfilm screenwriter? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Droids

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Just watched the Finn fight again, Ren clearly wipes the floor with him. Scene for scene, Finn charges at Ren and Ren pretty much just laughs him off toying with him. The first 10 seconds is Ren battering down on Finn and immediately within 7 seconds Ren knocks Finn to the ground. He turns away to smack his side which is bleeding all over the floor but could easily have ended the fight there within 7 seconds. All of you saying that Rey would have won because Ren was on the floor, well there you go. Finn knocked down in 7 seconds. Finn gets up, Ren turns and effortlessly dodges Finns attack and then forces him back to a tree with Finn trying to defend himself and failing. Ren pins him against a tree and toys with him, digging the crossguard into his shoulder and there's nothing he can do. You can see a smile on Ren's face as he's enjoying it while Finn screams. He is easily besting Finn. Easily. Finn hasn't done a single thing to him at this point. It's almost effortless and you can see he's enjoying taking his time with the smile on his face. Finn then lands one blow on Ren's shoulder and he decides to stop playing around. Ren immediately within 3 seconds, turns, disarms him and slice his back putting him down. So to anyone saying Finn held his own is talking bollocks. The entire fight he was getting battered. The second that Finn did anything besides lose badly, Ren ended the fight.
That's a lot of detail for what was apparent from watching it the first time.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Do I offer you the same courtesy you offered me of a green smiley, when I made a large paragraph of writing?

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Pretty sure it was Ren vs Rey that was in dispute.

Zarlak

Do I offer you the same courtesy you offered me of a green smiley, when I made a large paragraph of writing?
Well my green smiley was based on the content and how what you said never happened, rather than the fact that it was a large paragraph. You're welcome to watch it again and tell me if what I just wrote was false. Or you'll realise that you were in fact exaggerating greatly.