Statue for Giggs and Rooney outside Old Trafford?

Nikelesh Reddy

All the recent talk about City building a statue of David Silva outside the etihad(and Paul ince‘s stupid remarks about Henry and Bergkamp!),got me thinking about which players of the SAF era deserve a statue to be erected outside Oldtrafford.I greatly admire and respect Cantona and Ronaldo,but they didn’t play long enough for the club to deserve a statue outside OT.If you take those 2 out of the debate,then frankly,there are only 3 players who probably deserve to be given this special honour-Giggs,Scholes and Rooney.

Personally I would be in favour of the club building a statue of Giggsey and Rooney outside OT.As much as I love Scholsey,he doesn’t really have any unprecedented/record breaking acheivements in terms of trophies or goals.Giggsey is the most decorated player to have ever played for the club and Rooney is our record goal scorer....Personally I would want statues of these two to be erected outside OT.Do you guys agree?

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
All the recent talk about City building a statue of David Silva outside the etihad(and Paul ince‘s stupid remarks about Henry and Bergkamp!),got me thinking about which players of the SAF era deserve a statue to be erected outside Oldtrafford.I greatly admire and respect Cantona and Ronaldo,but they didn’t play long enough for the club to deserve a statue outside OT.If you take those 2 out of the debate,then frankly,there are only 3 players who probably deserve to be given this special honour-Giggs,Scholes and Rooney.

Personally I would be in favour of the club building a statue of Giggsey and Rooney outside OT.As much as I love Scholsey,he doesn’t really have any unprecedented/record breaking acheivements in terms of trophies or goals.Giggsey is the most decorated player to have ever played for the club and Rooney is our record goal scorer....Personally I would want statues of these two to be erected outside OT.Do you guys agree?
Rooney will never get one because of his transfer requests etc.

Next statue (if there is one) will be Class of 92 I think.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Would you recginze them in silhouette? Cause you should only build statues of people you can regognize in silhouette. This is well known fact.

iHicksy

I'd like Giggs, Rooney, Rio. Although I can't really make a case for why Rio other than I love the guy.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Next statue will be for Sancho.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
We should do a Last Supper bas-relief with Cantona and 12 apostles (the list is up for debate).

Havak

Pokemon master
A Cantona statue would be class.

However, I think a Class of 92 would be the better choice. The thing is do you leave out Butt & Phil Neville? And then do you leave out Beckham too? Not sure.

Also, I think what I'd like to see done for some players are more like bronze prints so to speak. Like a plaque. This would make more sense for some club legends & partnerships such as Rio/Vidic, maybe Schmeichel/Van der Sar/de Gea all on one... Yorke/Cole (possibly +Solskajer/Teddy).

These would be nice in particular for the 99 & 08 teams as well. I don't think I'd want us to go crazy with statues as I think they need to be extra special.

Edit: Realistically there should probably be one of Sir Alex though.

Last edited:

decorativeed

A Cantona statue would be class.

However, I think a Class of 92 would be the better choice. The thing is do you leave out Butt & Phil Neville? And then do you leave out Beckham too? Not sure.

Also, I think what I'd like to see done for some players are more like bronze prints so to speak. Like a plaque. This would make more sense for some club legends & partnerships such as Rio/Vidic, maybe Schmeichel/Van der Sar/de Gea all on one... Yorke/Cole (possibly +Solskajer/Teddy).

These would be nice in particular for the 99 & 08 teams as well. I don't think I'd want us to go crazy with statues as I think they need to be extra special.

Edit: Realistically there should probably be one of Sir Alex though.
Erm, there is.

E-mal

Giggs will be well deserved , other than that no one else.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Class of 92,- joint statue, or King Eric for me. Probably Cantona.

redflash

Statue id like to see is one dedicated to the academy. Create a pose akin to the one adopted by CO92 for that famous picture but include some of most famous academy graduates through the ages. Put it all on a large platform and then on all the sides carve the names of players from the academy who represented the first team.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I don't care if it's his personal life, Giggs is and always will be lower than dirt to me after that shit with his brother.

Cantona and/or Scholes would be cool.

Thiagoal

Cantona- collar up! In fact the exact pose after scoring THAT goal against Sunderland!

RUCK4444

That would be so stupid of the club. What is etc?

Rooney absolutely deserves one.
Yup. Leading goalscorer for the club, incredible career that’s better than the likes of Gerrard at Liverpool as an example, imo.

He won everything here.

POF

Next one should be Ole after he wins the treble as player and manager.

Kostov

Yup. Leading goalscorer for the club, incredible career that’s better than the likes of Gerrard at Liverpool imo.

He won everything here.
Yeah but once he questioned that Cleverley and Anderson are not good enough, let's lynch the guy foe eternity. :lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
No one should have one outside of Sir Matt Busby and Sir Alex Ferguson.

manuchamp88

2 separate groups of statues:
- 1 for the class of '92
- 1 for Ronaldo and Rooney

El Zoido

What was so wrong with Ince’s remarks about Henry and Bergkamp? He’s right. One of the few things I agree with him on.

GiddyUp

If we were ever to spruce up OT we could put statues of all our great (not so great)players on pedestals around the stands, Greek/Roman style.
This was a piss take but thinking about it maybe it would be pretty cool. Pray at the shrine of Cleverley for abilities out of your reach. Leave offerings at the feet of Rooney if you are suffering hair loss or kiss the toe of Giggs for good luck in your love life.

FizzyWomack

I don't care if it's his personal life, Giggs is and always will be lower than dirt to me after that shit with his brother.

Cantona and/or Scholes would be cool.
The blasphemy! Nobody is perfect, but Giggs was seeing that woman before his brother had even met her. Granted,he shouldn't have carried on the affair behind his brothers back but everybody makes mistakes and love makes us do silly things.

How can a real Manchester United fan say Giggs is lower than dirt after everything he did for this club.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
John OShea, Paddy Mcnair and Philip Neville. The people's trinity.

0le

A statue for Eric Harrison to represent the class of 92 as well as the influences of all other coaches who have contributed to the success of United over the years.