Statue for Giggs and Rooney outside Old Trafford?

Dante

Average bang
Anyone who achieves all of these with United:
  • 5 or more League titles
  • 2 or more European titles
  • 700+ appearances
... automatically deserves a statue at some point. Scholes and Giggs should be getting one in a few years.

Also, Cantona and Robson (both with special dispensation). They were transformative players who bled Manchester United when they played, continued to do so after they retired, and held the club in as much regard as the club held them.

Rio and Evra are more in the conversation than Rooney, imo. Rooney's heart is obviously at Everton more than United. Don't get me wrong: I have massive respect for his loyalty to his boyhood club. But as United are effectively his second-choice club, we shouldn't be immortalising him here.

The Ronaldo suggestions are laughable.

0le

Probably a silly idea but a 92 would be a better symbol? I think that long terms, symbols are a better idea than people when it comes to statues because it's rarely about one person with the exception of the two great managers who have a lengthy and extremely important influence on the club.
Yeah its a nice idea. What about 92, with the number 9 and 2 made up of flowers, with each flower representing a specific player from the Busby Babes?

Al-T

Cantona. But there would be protests from angered Crystal Palace fans :lol:

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I dunno about statues but I'll tell you what's class: The Bryan Robson mural. Looks amazing. Be good to have more of that kinda thing.

Strelok

Imo a status bar to memorize and appreciate the contribution of a player/manager also serves as an inspiration for our players and young lads. Like a way to say, hey try to be like that guy and you'd be remembered forever.

Giggs: well he shagged his brother's wife and according to many, a dick.

Rooney: transfer request to Citeh

Ronaldo: left to another team in his prime for fame and money

Kean: intentionally try to break someone's knees

Well it's maybe a bit harsh but when we talk about status outside OT we're talking about our traditions, our identity and our legacy. Better be as careful as possible imo.

Gopher Brown

I don’t really understand the point in any statues. Seems like tokenistic bullshit to me. The memories of these players live on in people’s heads, not in lumps of poorly fashioned metal.

AaronRedDevil

Maybe another statue like The busby babes rather then the one player. Giggs, Scholes and Rooney. Or something like that. Put it on the different side of OT. Or a Hall of fame type thing because there’s so many players at united during the Fergie era that deserve a bit more recognition.VDS, Vidic, Rio, Neville etc.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Should be Ole and Teddy dressed in black and white stripey shirts and eye masks with a big bag on their rears labled SWAG.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If we were ever to spruce up OT we could put statues of all our great (not so great)players on pedestals around the stands, Greek/Roman style.
This was a piss take but thinking about it maybe it would be pretty cool. Pray at the shrine of Cleverley for abilities out of your reach. Leave offerings at the feet of Rooney if you are suffering hair loss or kiss the toe of Giggs for good luck in your love life.
You're wasted on these folk, Giddy.

Here's a well-earned green smiley: :lol:
Most statues are of horrible human beings.

- H.choker
Deep.

manuchamp88

No way Ronaldo will get on. As great as he was in that period of 07-10, he then left us to spend his prime at Madrid.

He's probably the most gifted player i've seen at united in my lifetime, but players like Cantona / Class of 92 speak more to the legend / story of our club.
I think there's a lot of nostaglia around Cantona that makes him better than he was. He wasn't as talented as Ronaldo, he was here less time, he came from Leeds and didn't reach the levels of Ronaldo trophy wise. Not sure how that speaks about the story of our club more so than Ronaldo.
Ronaldo grew up a Madrid supporter so it's not really a surprise he went there eventually.

manuchamp88

Ya Ronaldo. Because of his massive achievements at Real Madrid?
I dunno, winning the CL, several domestic trophies, personal awards, banging in great goals, bringing excitement to United fans not seen since a young Giggs came on the scene sounds pretty good to me.
I hate to break it to you, but not everyone who plays for us is purely a United fan. I suppose you're just as critical of Schmeichel, Andy Cole etc., right? Or do they get a pass?

lsd

The Oracle
We have enough statues playing for us at present .

As for recent players

Cantona
Rooney
Giggs
Keane
Ronaldo
Rio
Anderson

James Peril

Keane doesn't appear to have been mentioned. I think he is worthy.
Keane disrespected Sir Alex, the one and only reason United became the mammoth that we were and still are today. Roy Keane doesn’t even derserve free tickets to home games in my book, not to mention that he isn’t living up to the good values of the game ever since, making a mockery of himself on TV and shooting down everything to stay in the spotlight. A complete sell-out to be honest. Sorry Roy, sublime player 20 years ago - but we shouldn’t reward people like him. Those comments about Villa celebrating did it for me, just pathetic - he is a slightly younger version of Souness.

RedDevil@84

I dunno, winning the CL, several domestic trophies, personal awards, banging in great goals, bringing excitement to United fans not seen since a young Giggs came on the scene sounds pretty good to me.
I hate to break it to you, but not everyone who plays for us is purely a United fan. I suppose you're just as critical of Schmeichel, Andy Cole etc., right? Or do they get a pass?
I am not criticizing Ronaldo. But when I look at Ronaldo, I don't consider him as a United legend. It seems weird for me to have a statue of a Real Madrid legend over at OT.

manuchamp88

Yes ignore the legends of our Club like Robbo and Eric. And give a statue to a Madrid legend and a guy who kept fecking around with transfer requests.
Well, give them a statue too then. The more the merrier. Robson was before my time anyway, so I can only mention the players I know. As great as Eric was, please remind me what he achieved at United that Cristiano didn't? I'll wait.
As for Rooney, perhaps we shouldn't have replaced some of our best players with Obertan, Owen and Valencia?

manuchamp88

I am not criticizing Ronaldo. But when I look at Ronaldo, I don't consider him as a United legend. It seems weird for me to have a statue of a Real Madrid legend over at OT.
It seems weird to me that you consider him only a Madrid legend, but to each their own. It also seems weird to me that people are clamouring for Cantona who scored less goals and won less than Cristiano at United and also retired before his time. But there you go.

RedDevilzFox

My opinion of course, but statues for me are symbolic of a significant contribution to the club which goes above and beyond simply 'trophy count'. What you did for the club on AND off the field. Local community engagement, charity etc.. Think what Alex Ferguson did for United, that's a good bar. Either that or a GOAT candidate player that spent their career with us, think Messi for Barca. If he sees out his career with Barca, I'd say he's earned a statue outside of Camp Nou. Him and Cruyff.

We shouldn't be handing out statues willy nilly for they are eternal.

Web of Bissaka

Hope not, enough, too many statues already.

IF have to, the next one should be the C92 together all 6 players.

The 6 players are crucial in winning the 99 treble, Becks making a huge international impacts popularizing United globally, and the rest continued to help the club win more trophies in all of the seasons after that including another triple CL finals. Those are huge.

Put their statues in front of SAF, similar to the Trinity in front of Sir Matt Busby.

Well, give them a statue too then. The more the merrier. Robson was before my time anyway, so I can only mention the players I know. As great as Eric was, please remind me what he achieved at United that Cristiano didn't? I'll wait.
As for Rooney, perhaps we shouldn't have replaced some of our best players with Obertan, Owen and Valencia?
Jesus christ.

It becomes meaningless if they're handed out like toffees.

Heardy

I think there's a lot of nostaglia around Cantona that makes him better than he was. He wasn't as talented as Ronaldo, he was here less time, he came from Leeds and didn't reach the levels of Ronaldo trophy wise. Not sure how that speaks about the story of our club more so than Ronaldo.
Ronaldo grew up a Madrid supporter so it's not really a surprise he went there eventually.
Without Cantona would there have been a Ronaldo? Cantona was the catalyst for Uniteds dominance in the 1990s that set us up for 20 years of unrivalled dominance / success.

manuchamp88

Jesus christ.

It becomes meaningless if they're handed out like toffees.
Or that we had a lot of great players. The fact that we have people saying Ronaldo and Rooney don't deserve ones over the others is testament to that, even if I disagree.

On the other hand, you could argue we shouldn't have any more statues at all as it's too intimidating for our sensitive players these days. Similar to why Keane wouldn't work as a coach here.

manuchamp88

Without Cantona would there have been a Ronaldo? Cantona was the catalyst for Uniteds dominance in the 1990s that set us up for 20 years of unrivalled dominance / success.
I guess we'll never know. I would say the class of 92 was the true catalyst. Getting rid if the old guard, ushering in a new age of talent and success. Then again, if we hadn't have got Cantona, maybe we would've got Shearer and had even more success? Or Gazza? Or both? Who knows.

Stretender

It seems weird to me that you consider him only a Madrid legend, but to each their own. It also seems weird to me that people are clamouring for Cantona who scored less goals and won less than Cristiano at United and also retired before his time. But there you go.
Educate yourself to the history of Manchester United. Cantona was a game changer, a catalyst and someone who launched Fergie's domination of English football. Ronaldo joined United because Cantona created it. We appreciate you are Ronaldo's fan boy but I don't know anyone from Manchester who would put him above King Eric. People even would have David Beckham over Ronaldo. His constant no one knows about the future answers about Real Madrid made me to automatically dislike him. I respect his footballing feasts, but I would never love him as much as I love King Eric. Cantona inspired Scholes, Neville, Giggs and co. The rest is history.

Last edited:

90 + 5min

You have to be really sure before you make some statue of a person that it is the right thing to do. There have been some examples of statue making and a year after or two they have been brought down for various reasons. Usually you should be pretty old or have left this earth before you should have a statue.

Heardy

I guess we'll never know. I would say the class of 92 was the true catalyst. Getting rid if the old guard, ushering in a new age of talent and success. Then again, if we hadn't have got Cantona, maybe we would've got Shearer and had even more success? Or Gazza? Or both? Who knows.
Fair enough - I think it was Cantona that drove that class of 92 to succeed and they looked up to him in driving it all forward. Just my two cents.

Or that we had a lot of great players. The fact that we have people saying Ronaldo and Rooney don't deserve ones over the others is testament to that, even if I disagree.

On the other hand, you could argue we shouldn't have any more statues at all as it's too intimidating for our sensitive players these days. Similar to why Keane wouldn't work as a coach here.
With all due respect your posts in this thread have been nonsensical.

90 + 5min

Cantona was and still is Cantona. Cristiano Ronaldo is a better footballer. No question about that. Brilliant footballer. But Cantona was something else.