Statue for Giggs and Rooney outside Old Trafford?

Offsideagain

Is this because City are having a couple of statues copying us again? We already have two new statues, trouble is they were playing the other night, Maguire and Lindelof.

wolvored

I would have given one to Robbo before Rooney. He didnt try angling to leave as soon as the going got tough.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Different era, and I wasn't emotionally involve with him (due to I'm not 100 y.o. fan).
You either base it on football or not, surely.

If you start ranking on morals and suchlike, we're really going to struggle to have many heroes.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
You either base it on football or not, surely.

If you start ranking on morals and suchlike, we're really going to struggle to have many heroes.
Really? So if next week, Rooney starts assaulting women and publicly shouting racist words, do you still want his statue at Old Trafford?

GiddyUp

Keane disrespected Sir Alex, the one and only reason United became the mammoth that we were and still are today. Roy Keane doesn’t even derserve free tickets to home games in my book, not to mention that he isn’t living up to the good values of the game ever since, making a mockery of himself on TV and shooting down everything to stay in the spotlight. A complete sell-out to be honest. Sorry Roy, sublime player 20 years ago - but we shouldn’t reward people like him. Those comments about Villa celebrating did it for me, just pathetic - he is a slightly younger version of Souness.
Ok then. We know this guys opinion.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Really? So if next week, Rooney starts assaulting women and publicly shouting racist words, do you still want his statue at Old Trafford?
That could be asked for anyone with a statue up already.
I expect in your example they'd have to take a statue down.

GiddyUp

SAF has said very many times that signing Cantona was the key to winning the first Prem. For about three years he was the best player in the league and was known as the king while he was still playing for us. I assume you didn’t witness this because it is impossible to have seen it and forgotten it. He was the King.
He fecking was and you need a lot more than goals to transform a team the way he did. The swagger on him gave other players the opportunity to flourish. SAF knew what he was doing and what Cantona would bring to United.

Tiber

We should have a much more public tribute to Jimmy Murphy than a building at Carrington. He kept the club going at a time when it could very easily have collapsed.

Always thought it would be nice if he had a statue standing behind Busby or something.

United Hobbit

A plaque with the names of each of the players who played for us in our treble winning season

buchansleftleg

Ole Solskjaer....sliding along the ground on his knees...with the slogan "and solskjaer has won it" emblazoned on the base.

Allow room in his hand grasp for a replica of the most recent trophy win to be placed there

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
I may be completely wrong but didn’t Rooney recently say he didn’t actually hand in a transfer request? He questioned Sir Alex on the direction and ambition of the club and Sir Alex came out and said Rooney handed in a transfer request of someone like that.

lsd

The Oracle
The only real options are Cantona ,Keane and Rooney perhaps Schmeichel our greatest goal keeper

Giggs has too much baggage now after what he did and that's what most people think off whenever he is mentioned.

lsd

The Oracle
I may be completely wrong but didn’t Rooney recently say he didn’t actually hand in a transfer request? He questioned Sir Alex on the direction and ambition of the club and Sir Alex came out and said Rooney handed in a transfer request of someone like that.

I would say whatever the critics of Rooney and Keane would argue that they did what they did out of a desire to see Utd stay at the top and when they saw standards slip they were unhappy and reacted

Cole9

I would say whatever the critics of Rooney and Keane would argue that they did what they did out of a desire to see Utd stay at the top and when they saw standards slip they were unhappy and reacted
Rooney was quite happy to play to a poor standard regularly for the last 4-5 years of his United career and collect his £300k a week though. Many of his performances during that period were disgraceful.

Last edited:

Yagami

Good post resistant
Next one should be Brown Brwning one of his victims.

monosierra

No. Statues should be for game changers - and that impact dan only be assessed decades down the line.

Tiber

No. Statues should be for game changers - and that impact dan only be assessed decades down the line.
I strongly disagree. If you need decades to decide if someone is worthy of a statue? They generally don't deserve a statue.

Thank god they did Fergie's tributes while he was still alive and actively involved with the club.

DannyDee

Giggs/Scholes would be the next one I'd give, but if that is made to include the class of 92 (Beckham and G. Neville) at a minimum I wouldn't be imposed. Not, sure Phil Neville and Nicky Butt should get a statue, even if they were part of the class of 92.

monosierra

I strongly disagree. If you need decades to decide if someone is worthy of a statue? They generally don't deserve a statue.

Thank god they did Fergie's tributes while he was still alive and actively involved with the club.
You have a point. I think a criteria is: Has this person changed the course of the club? It could a lifelong work like SAF or a serial goalscorer/playmaker whose feats have directly won enough trophies to elevate the club into a new era.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
In terms of most-deserving, I'd rank it as follows:

Tier 1: Giggs / Cantona / Keane
Tier 2: Scholes / Rooney
Tier 3: Moyes/LVG/Jose 'Unholy Trinity'... Lest we forget.

Unfortunately, all the tier 1 players have transgressions against them that likely prevent them from ever being erected.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Rooney? Seriously?

If we're planning a statue then it should be with Gaz, Scholes and Giggs.

RikRuud

Utd had a poll on their Instagram a week or so ago asking whether the fans think Giggs and Scholes deserve a statue.

Last edited:

pascell

Build a statue of the Glazers, all of them with their middle fingers up, just so when you're next going to a game or going in the club shop, you realise the money is going straight into their pocket and not being spent on the improvement of the team.