Statue for Giggs and Rooney outside Old Trafford?

ajay1002

I would like there to be a statue of players that epitomise SAF's time at the club for his statue to overlook, just like the Busby statue watches over the Trinity. If it were my choice, it would be the class of 92.

OrcaFat

Rooney will never get one because of his transfer requests etc.

Next statue (if there is one) will be Class of 92 I think.
I’d like to see some sort of large bronze relief / plaque of Cantona with the Class of 92 (plus Giggs who came through before them) - the King with the young pretenders.

I think you’re wrong about Rooney. After he is retired I think he will get a statue as record goal scorer (I doubt his transfer request will be an issue for those deciding such things).

eire-red

Cantona is the only one I can think of. The collar turned up, the stance, the way he held himself. Perfect for a statue, and was one of the most important catalysts for what we have become over the last 30 years.

He's iconic.

manuchamp88

Educate yourself to the history of Manchester United. Cantona was a game changer, a catalyst and someone who launched Fergie's domination of English football. Ronaldo joined United because Cantona created it. We appreciate you are Ronaldo's fan boy but I don't know anyone from Manchester who would put him above King Eric. People even would have David Beckham over Ronaldo. His constant no one knows about the future answers about Real Madrid made me to automatically dislike him. I respect his footballing feasts, but I would never love him as much as I love King Eric. Cantona inspired Scholes, Neville, Giggs and co. The rest is history.
Well, that's your prerogative. I just think the cult figure of Cantona has made him out to be better than he was. You do know he scored less goals than Hughes in his first 3 seasons? U know he only broke 20 goals once which isn't great for a striker? I would say it was more about the team and Ferguson's genius than 1 individual.

manuchamp88

Cantona was and still is Cantona. Cristiano Ronaldo is a better footballer. No question about that. Brilliant footballer. But Cantona was something else.
This is precisely what I mean. His cult/legend doesn't reflect reality.

90 + 5min

This is precisely what I mean. His cult/legend doesn't reflect reality.
It does. Cantona was something else. Something lot more then goals and assists for us. Some things are hard to messaure.

Think Elvis. Is/Was he the best singer ever in world? Absolutly not. But he was something else. Something you can't put you finger on.

Stretender

Well, that's your prerogative. I just think the cult figure of Cantona has made him out to be better than he was. You do know he scored less goals than Hughes in his first 3 seasons? U know he only broke 20 goals once which isn't great for a striker? I would say it was more about the team and Ferguson's genius than 1 individual.
I don't know how old you are but you seem like a deluded fan boy. Ronaldo himself has gone on record to say he doesn't see himself as a United legend but a Real Madrid Legend.Everyone even Liverpool fans including the entire Liverpool football club is on record to say that Cantona changed the fortunes for Manchester United. Gary Neville and Paul Scholes have given interviews to say Cantona influenced their careers ,they went to training and he inspired them with his application. A legend is not just someone who scores more goals, a legend is someone who inspires people and leaves a lasting impression on people's lives. You seem not to know where Manchester United was before Cantona. Compare that to where Manchester United were before Ronaldo. Context is everything. Manchester City could sign Messi tomorrow, but their fans will always regard Aguero as a legend for that infamous goal. Legends are defined by life defining events.

Last edited:

choccy77

Cantona is the first statue i give. There is a reason his name is sung every year
Eric deffo deserves one.

I'd like a Robson, Hughes and Whiteside for the 80s

Class 92 for the 90's - 2000's

No Rooney!

fps

I like the idea of Cantona. Rather than a class of 92 you could have one of some generic lads, to celebrate United’s promotion of youth.

lsd

The Oracle
Keane disrespected Sir Alex, the one and only reason United became the mammoth that we were and still are today. Roy Keane doesn’t even derserve free tickets to home games in my book, not to mention that he isn’t living up to the good values of the game ever since, making a mockery of himself on TV and shooting down everything to stay in the spotlight. A complete sell-out to be honest. Sorry Roy, sublime player 20 years ago - but we shouldn’t reward people like him. Those comments about Villa celebrating did it for me, just pathetic - he is a slightly younger version of Souness.

He was clearly joking when he said it and was even smirking . Any excuse to hate on him

Prodigal7

I would like there to be a statue of players that epitomise SAF's time at the club for his statue to overlook, just like the Busby statue watches over the Trinity. If it were my choice, it would be the class of 92.
Agree with this. Statues should mean more than how good a player was for the club, they need to represent its heart and soul. The class of 92 are what we’re all about.

JanK

Supports
Napoli
A spineless Di Maria statue would be amazing.

And I'd like to see bust of Phil Jones's legendary face.

Fussball13251

This is bull. You don't want statues everywhere. There should only be statues of managers outside.

If you start putting statues of everybody up, then where does it stop?

manuchamp88

I don't know how old you are but you seem like a deluded fan boy. Ronaldo himself has gone on record to say he doesn't see himself as a United legend but a Real Madrid Legend.Everyone even Liverpool fans including the entire Liverpool football club is on record to say that Cantona changed the fortunes for Manchester United. Gary Neville and Paul Scholes have given interviews to say Cantona influenced their careers ,they went to training and he inspired them with his application. A legend is not just someone who scores more goals, a legend is someone who inspires people and leaves a lasting impression on people's lives. You seem not to know where Manchester United was before Cantona. Compare that to where Manchester United were before Ronaldo. Context is everything. Manchester City could sign Messi tomorrow, but their fans will always regard Aguero as a legend for that infamous goal. Legends are defined by life defining events.
Let's leave the insults, yeah? Again that is your opinion of a legend. I have mine. I don't really care what other teams' fans think, to be honest. So let's just agree to disagree.

In Rainbows

Let's leave the insults, yeah? Again that is your opinion of a legend. I have mine. I don't really care what other teams' fans think, to be honest. So let's just agree to disagree.
This is the best way to explain why Cantona > Ronaldo

When you think of Cantona, you think of United. When you think of Ronaldo, you no longer think of United. He's a proper Real Madrid legend. You could have made the argument of Ronaldo around 2013 because he had spent his best years with United (winning more trophies), but at this point it's quite clear that Ronaldos image is tied to Real Madrid.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
I'm just shocked that Paul Ince is speaking rubbish!!

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
I recommend having a look at the season review of the 92/93, it's available online. When we signed him in November it was a total game changer, like night and day. The team really struggled that whole autumn before he joined. He was also totally instrumental clinching the league title in 95/96 when he came back after the kung-fu kick. He clearly had a massive influence on the whole team, just look up qoutes from guys like SAF and Giggs for instance.

I don't think lack of goals is such a valid point anyway. Cole never scored more than 19 league goals for us, Hughes never more than 17. I recall we tended to spread the goals out over a larger number of players in the 90s. In fact RvN was the first striker we had under SAF who actually bagged over 20 league goals every season (barred one).

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Probably cost a million or two to make but would love to see one of the team lining up before the game in Belgrade in 1958, but where the hell you'd put it I don't know.

And on individual ones wouldn't mind seeing one of Giggs at the entrance of Carrington, maybe G Nev and Paul Scholes as well.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Rooney is one of the many great players (e.g. Keane deserves it more than Rooney, Scholes, Rio+Vidic too), Giggs - questionable image, also not a stand out of the rest.

Maureen-yo

A Cantona statue would be class.

However, I think a Class of 92 would be the better choice. The thing is do you leave out Butt & Phil Neville? And then do you leave out Beckham too? Not sure.

Also, I think what I'd like to see done for some players are more like bronze prints so to speak. Like a plaque. This would make more sense for some club legends & partnerships such as Rio/Vidic, maybe Schmeichel/Van der Sar/de Gea all on one... Yorke/Cole (possibly +Solskajer/Teddy).

These would be nice in particular for the 99 & 08 teams as well. I don't think I'd want us to go crazy with statues as I think they need to be extra special.

Edit: Realistically there should probably be one of Sir Alex though.
If you did the class of 92 and left out P.Neville, Butt and Beckham, wouldn’t you just be left with Gary, Scholes and Giggs?

sillwuka

This is bull. You don't want statues everywhere. There should only be statues of managers outside.

If you start putting statues of everybody up, then where does it stop?
Exactly. By all means our best players legacies will live on throughout the fabric of the stadium.

Statues should be put every Century to the most deserving.

A-man

Never build a statue of a living person. Best regards from Malmö where Zlatan has been taken down.

manuchamp88

I recommend having a look at the season review of the 92/93, it's available online. When we signed him in November it was a total game changer, like night and day. The team really struggled that whole autumn before he joined. He was also totally instrumental clinching the league title in 95/96 when he came back after the kung-fu kick. He clearly had a massive influence on the whole team, just look up qoutes from guys like SAF and Giggs for instance.

I don't think lack of goals is such a valid point anyway. Cole never scored more than 19 league goals for us, Hughes never more than 17. I recall we tended to spread the goals out over a larger number of players in the 90s. In fact RvN was the first striker we had under SAF who actually bagged over 20 league goals every season (barred one).
I just think we have different views that won't change. You say Cantona was a game-changer, I say a similar thing about Ronaldo - no-one at the time came close to his skill-level. He made you get up from your seat like no other could do. But hey, maybe it's a generational thing. I only remember bits of Cantona. My dad would say we're both wrong and Duncan Edwards is more deserving of a statue. Either way, we're lucky to have had so many great players. And here we are arguing about this when our current team is nowhere near the level of past teams, nevermind talking about any of them for a statue. Still, welcome distraction, I suppose.

KetilOwren88

Statue of Cantona is too late now. Could have been different 20 years ago. Giggs and Rooney have their records, but no way should they have statues. Their eraes and success is already represented by the Sir Alex statue. The trinity is different because they were all world class players and together with the Busby Babes the very first United superstars and iconic figures. Giggs has done nothing that SAF hasn’t. The only player I can think about is Harry Gregg due to his heroic rescuing in Munich