Statue for Giggs and Rooney outside Old Trafford?

Stretender

Let's leave the insults, yeah? Again that is your opinion of a legend. I have mine. I don't really care what other teams' fans think, to be honest. So let's just agree to disagree.
I was just trying to point out that you did not need justify the so called Ronaldo's legendary status by discrediting Cantona. You can list the things that makes you think Ronaldo is more of a Legend without putting down someone. Cantona is iconic, he changed this football club. Ronaldo openly flirted with Madrid and he put off alot of people with that. He was a brilliant footballer yes but that did not make him a legend here. Substitute Ole is more of a legend than Ronaldo who let's be honest could have cost us a Champions league trophy in Moscow. He missed a penalty. People are now comparing the impact of Bruno to Cantona. Over the top Bruno himself admits, but this shows you how legends are made and defined.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I would like there to be a statue of players that epitomise SAF's time at the club for his statue to overlook, just like the Busby statue watches over the Trinity. If it were my choice, it would be the class of 92.
Class of 92 with Eric looking on.

manuchamp88

I was just trying to point out that you did not need justify the so called Ronaldo's legendary status by discrediting Cantona. You can list the things that makes you think Ronaldo is more of a Legend without putting down someone. Cantona is iconic, he changed this football club. Ronaldo openly flirted with Madrid and he put off alot of people with that. He was a brilliant footballer yes but that did not make him a legend here. Substitute Ole is more of a legend than Ronaldo who let's be honest could have cost us a Champions league trophy in Moscow. He missed a penalty. People are now comparing the impact of Bruno to Cantona. Over the top Bruno himself admits, but this shows you how legends are made and defined.
Well, I wouldn't say I was putting him down, I was merely stating statistics. If the argument if about who deserves a statue more between the pair according to our views, then I kind of have to compare them. Anyway, we're going down the same road. I just don't think someone playing for another club afterwards (especially one that is not a rival) has any bearing on the effect he had and what he achieved when here. He was a young man. Perhaps he would acknowledge now that he could have managed it better, but for me that's by the by.

manuchamp88

New idea: how about a massive statue of our emblem, directly in front of a couple of smaller statues of the emblem's of Liverpool and City. It will look beautiful when the sun catches it just right.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I don't care if it's his personal life, Giggs is and always will be lower than dirt to me after that shit with his brother.

Cantona and/or Scholes would be cool.
We were in three semi finals this season, ole could have won the treble already :lol:

Sad Chris

If you want to honour people for their great achievements do it late in life. Personally, I think it‘s all a bit silly. Worshipping people‘s skills juggling a ball just feels like too much for me. But if you really need to, build a Walk of Fame outside OT capturing some of our greatest players’ cemented footprints. Have kids taking their shoes off to see if they can fill their idol‘s.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Cantona and Scholes would be nice.

I don't know about Rooney and Giggs. I don't think both deserve to embody United. But that's just my feeling.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Lingard to represent the modern United. No substance but comercial.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
This style will solve current and future problems on who to include,

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
I just think we have different views that won't change. You say Cantona was a game-changer, I say a similar thing about Ronaldo - no-one at the time came close to his skill-level. He made you get up from your seat like no other could do. But hey, maybe it's a generational thing. I only remember bits of Cantona. My dad would say we're both wrong and Duncan Edwards is more deserving of a statue. Either way, we're lucky to have had so many great players. And here we are arguing about this when our current team is nowhere near the level of past teams, nevermind talking about any of them for a statue. Still, welcome distraction, I suppose.
Well, yeah, fair points. I agree about Ronaldo too, of course he was a game changer.

My point was that I think you'd find it very difficult to convince anyone who followed United closely under the Cantona era that he was overrated. I'd say he had the same impact as Ronaldo eventually had for us, just that for Cantona that impact was instant and it was of crucial importance at the given time. He was a major catalyst in what would become a string of league successes, and later other trophies, under SAF.

OrcaFat

Well, that's your prerogative. I just think the cult figure of Cantona has made him out to be better than he was. You do know he scored less goals than Hughes in his first 3 seasons? U know he only broke 20 goals once which isn't great for a striker? I would say it was more about the team and Ferguson's genius than 1 individual.
SAF has said very many times that signing Cantona was the key to winning the first Prem. For about three years he was the best player in the league and was known as the king while he was still playing for us. I assume you didn’t witness this because it is impossible to have seen it and forgotten it. He was the King.

fezzerUTD

Cantona played 5 seasons and won domestic only, not for me still love him though.

Co92 is a no brainer for me they all won the treble easy as that.

Strelok

SAF has said very many times that signing Cantona was the key to winning the first Prem. For about three years he was the best player in the league and was known as the king while he was still playing for us. I assume you didn’t witness this because it is impossible to have seen it and forgotten it. He was the King.
He still is for me.

It was because of him that I became an Utd fan.

m1tch

No more statues, of anyone. Statues of blokes that were paid to live their dreams, with a talent they were born with, and who had circumstances for that to thrive (for which they can claim no personal credit), is ludicrous.

Statues are exactly like posters for children's bedroom walls. The cost and permanence of the poster being appropriate for 'your favourite player' though. Easily disposed of when you've grown up and realised all they've done is provide you some entertainment but otherwise more than likely had no meaningful impact on your life.

red4ever 79

Some strange comments about the King in this thread. This guy walked into our club and lifted us from a nearly side into the side. Such was his influence I think he won 5 titles across 6 seasons with Leeds and Utd. The one time we didn't win the league he was suspended for a large part of it. People commenting that he didn't deliver in Europe, again this was a time were Utd were severely handicapped with the foreigner rule and couldn't play their best side. The 94 double team is often considered to be SAF best ever team.

There is a reason why Cantona's name is sung season after season. He was the King he was the man he was simply the greatest.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Cantona and Scholes would be nice.

I don't know about Rooney and Giggs. I don't think both deserve to embody United. But that's just my feeling.
What are your thoughts on Bestie out of interest?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Cantona played 5 seasons and won domestic only, not for me still love him though.

Co92 is a no brainer for me they all won the treble easy as that.
Yes, but do you think Phil Neville and Nick Butt, with all due respect - as I loved both, should be in a statue and Cantona shouldn't?!

It's this sort of debate which is why only absolutely the truly long term and special types should get statues - hence Busby, Fergie, and the Trinity

I think only Scholes and Giggs should even be in any conversation for a statue - but not for a long old while yet.

davidmichael

I think it’s got to be Cantona and Giggs with maybe Robson or Keane as a third as those lot are probably our biggest legends of the post ‘Holy Trinity’ or modern era outside of Sir Alex, I'd say after that group you’d then look at Ronaldo and Rooney as they were the era after that group and the biggest club legends from that era.

fezzerUTD

Yes, but do you think Phil Neville and Nick Butt, with all due respect - as I loved both, should be in a statue and Cantona shouldn't?!

It's this sort of debate which is why only absolutely the truly long term and special types should get statues - hence Busby, Fergie, and the Trinity

I think only Scholes and Giggs should even be in any conversation for a statue - but not for a long old while yet.
Well they were there 15 years and won numerous doubles and a treble so yes of course they should be on it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Well they were there 15 years and won numerous doubles and a treble so yes of course they should be on it.
Wes Brown won the European cup and was around for numerous other cups. Should he be on there?

RUCK4444

Some strange comments about the King in this thread. This guy walked into our club and lifted us from a nearly side into the side. Such was his influence I think he won 5 titles across 6 seasons with Leeds and Utd. The one time we didn't win the league he was suspended for a large part of it. People commenting that he didn't deliver in Europe, again this was a time were Utd were severely handicapped with the foreigner rule and couldn't play their best side. The 94 double team is often considered to be SAF best ever team.

There is a reason why Cantona's name is sung season after season. He was the King he was the man he was simply the greatest.
Yeah very strange. If one player should have a statue it’s Eric.

Him and the class of 92. He was the catalyst to make us winners and the longevity & ability of the class of 92 was incredible, should have them together in one statue.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I’d rather have a statue of the treble trophies, assuming that’s not already a thing

Eire Red United

Sir Alex was actively trying to sell him before he retired. Had he stayed on, Rooney would've gone

He said we couldn't match his ambitions. Basically saying he was bigger than the club... That was the first time he handed in a transfer request anyway. Yeah.. he did it twice.

I can't ever remember Gerrard saying he wanted to go to Everton, or United.

Ronaldo was our most important player from 07-09.
Rooney was awful in our 10-11 title winning season
RVP our most important in the last title win.

I'd actually say that he wasn't the most important player in any year that we've won the title.

Don't get me wrong. I think Rooney was fantastic for us. But I don't think he deserves a statue. I don't think many people do and I don't think we need any more.

You think he does deserve one though. I'm happy to disagree.
We lost Ronaldo and Tevez and replace them with Valencia and Michael Owen. Could any self respecting United fan call that ambitious?

I’d say Rooney definitely does deserve a statue, formed part of one of our most exciting attacking units we’ve ever had, absolutely carried us from Ronaldo left until RVP signed and was one of our only players to bother putting effort in under Moyes. Not to mention the records he’s broken.

Blood Mage

That would be so stupid of the club. What is etc?

Rooney absolutely deserves one.
Agreed. With that line of logic Giggs doesn't deserve a statue either for his morally questionable private life.

Green_Red

I like the poster style boards that are up around the walkway around the stadium. Don't think we should be bothering with any new statues for a few years. If they did put up a statue I'd prefer to see a statue commemorating a of a few of the people that lost their lives in Munich