Steam OS

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Give me a list of Steam games running on Linux!
They have been working on them behind the scenes. I know three is only a very small library of steam Linux games at the moment, I made that point earlier. That list is freely available though, they wouldn't make that mistake.

Like I said, someone has been busy

Castia

It all depends on price and performance, if it can hit a sweetspot this machine could be a great alternative for console gamers.

Didn't they say 300 games are already running on the system and they want 3000 available for beta?

rcoobc

Yeah I can't see why anyone would want to subsidise the box, that wouldn't make sense.

Castia

Well they have said its upgradable and comes with a number if different specs, I wouldn't be surprised to see it come with a PCI slot.

WeasteDevil

Well they have said its upgradable and comes with a number if different specs, I wouldn't be surprised to see it come with a PCI slot.
This is where you run into bother! People don't want to feck about! You might just as well have a Windows driven PC!

The whole idea of a console is that it's a fixed hardware and software environment where you can attack the hardware at its lowest level.

Castia

''Can I hack this box? Run another OS? change the hardware? install my own software? use it to build a robot?
Sure.''

They are even releasing the source code for the OS, pretty much everything on the system is unlocked.

rcoobc

So, some SteamOS questions.

Will non-Steam games run on it, without having to hack the OS? Minecraft, for example, runs natively in Linux. It would be a small disaster if that type of game couldn't be incorporated, whereas I think it's less likely that Origin games will run.

How many users will get to play each game bought on SteamOS? On current gen consoles, I can play games with as many profiles as I like. It would be a travesty if games bought through SteamOS where locked to an individual account (yes I know, FamilyShare). Personally I think this is what will be changing with tomorrows announcement. O+O = Multiple Devices.

How close will Valve and their partners get to the $400 price point? For all his posturing, Weaste does have a point. The PS4/XBOne could look better value for money in some peoples eyes, if the hardware is cheaper. Of course the counter argument would be that, with Steam you are getting better value for money with the games; a huge game library to buy already and a huge game library you may already own. Then you have to look at 2nd hand games (not going to be on Steam unless the EU or various nations demand it), and steam sales. What is really better value.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Wtf is up with that post? Everytime I reformat it and sort out the quote tags it resets it to that...

This isn't going to work!
It has huge potential therefore they will make it work.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I
So, some SteamOS questions.

Will non-Steam games run on it, without having to hack the OS? Minecraft, for example, runs natively in Linux. It would be a small disaster if that type of game couldn't be incorporated, whereas I think it's less likely that Origin games will run.

How many users will get to play each game bought on SteamOS? On current gen consoles, I can play games with as many profiles as I like. It would be a travesty if games bought through SteamOS where locked to an individual account (yes I know, FamilyShare). Personally I think this is what will be changing with tomorrows announcement. O+O = Multiple Devices.

How close will Valve and their partners get to the $400 price point? For all his posturing, Weaste does have a point. The PS4/XBOne could look better value for money in some peoples eyes, if the hardware is cheaper. Of course the counter argument would be that, with Steam you are getting better value for money with the games; a huge game library to buy already and a huge game library you may already own. Then you have to look at 2nd hand games (not going to be on Steam unless the EU or various nations demand it), and steam sales. What is really better value.
I'd pay more for it for more power if it is like a PC in terms of what you can do with it (scale graphics, fov, full modding, etc) and if the OS is that dedicated then power shouldn't be an issue.

Of course Weaste will bluster about flops and the like, but he underestimates PC's and what a good set up can do.

rcoobc

"Family members will also be able to share games from each others' accounts, taking it in turns to play, save games and earn achievements. Furthermore, Valve says it is working with content services to bring streaming music and video to the SteamOS."

From the Guardian. They are probably just describing FamilyShare very simply, but I think it's imperative that games bought for SteamOS are not stuck on a single account. For all games bought for/through SteamOS, the regular contract Valve has with devs and game owners isn't sufficient, and a new contract will be needed. When I buy a ps3 game, my brother can play it too, just not at the same time as me. However, I can play a different game I have bought on a different PS3 at the same time. If I'm completely locked out of my account and cannot play any of my other games whilst my brother uses a single game (FamilyShare), it would be very annoying. It's not something that the majority will find acceptable on a console environment.

The single-user single-licence model currently in use isn't going to cut it on the console market. See Xbox.

rcoobc

I

I'd pay more for it for more power if it is like a PC in terms of what you can do with it (scale graphics, fov, full modding, etc) and if the OS is that dedicated then power shouldn't be an issue.

Of course Weaste will bluster about flops and the like, but he underestimates PC's and what a good set up can do.

I think it will be, and being able to build your own will please people. I hope it has split-screen gaming though, and other console staples.

If the rumours of split-screen single player prove to be true, I'd say that would be a HUGE feature. But I doubt it's true.