Steam OS

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
With different performance levels of the boxes? You are now smack bang into the PC gaming space. The developer doesn't have a fecking clue what the target is.
It depends how varied the boxes are.

Besides, if there's set parameters that's instantly better than PC development, plus one set OS and set drivers, and that's a huge help right there.

Not to mention on the gamer front, no more worrying about installs, updates, device drivers and all that shit.

Redlambs

Smells of Apple to me.

Well, even Apple had their moments!

Why be so negative about it? Sure it could all crash and burn, but PC gaming is easily the best option in this form for many reasons and if this works, then it's a great viable alternative to what they are going to do with console games!

Plus, Steam really is a decent service. I prefer it over any other.

WeasteDevil

I just don't see how it can work with hardware constantly changing. What was wrong with Steam on a PC? What's going to happen, one bloke buys a 500 quid box, and then his next door neighbour buys a 1000 quid box? No fecker knows what the target is. Are we going to get Steam games now with minimum hardware requirements?

Why? Because Valve is pissed off with Microsoft.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Why not just get a PC?

Ask the thousands of people who are clever enough to use XBMC to create their tv system, and the millions more who aren't clever enough/can't be fecked, but want exactly that.

It's just a PC weaste. You can upgrade the RAM, Video Card, CPU, Network Card, Bluetooth adapter, anything. Just like a PC. You can run Windows on it, just like a PC. Will valve subsidise it? I'm not sure. Will it offer better value than the PS4/XBOne? I'm not sure. Maybe. Cheaper games, bigger library, you never lose the games, upgradeable, etc. If it has access to everything else you want in a media centre, I think it will do superbly.

Split screen will be important for me though, as will the question of can others use the games you have bought on that device. Lets answer these questions first.

Redlambs

I just don't see how it can work with hardware constantly changing. What was wrong with Steam on a PC? What's going to happen, one bloke buys a 500 quid box, and then his next door neighbour buys a 1000 quid box? No fecker knows what the target is. Are we going to get Steam games now with minimum hardware requirements?

Why? Because Valve is pissed off with Microsoft.
Well no, this was set in motion well before MS and Sony bent over and took it up the arse from EA.

And you are deliberately missing the point, if the configuration is limited and you can upgrade as a when you have the money, surely it is just like a PC except more power for less money. What is the downside to that? If the games stay as PC games, then they'll be better than the console counterparts the majority of the time, so it's win-win right?

WeasteDevil

surely it is just like a PC except more power for less money. What is the downside to that? If the games stay as PC games, then they'll be better than the console counterparts the majority of the time, so it's win-win right?
How is it less money that buying a PC? It is a fecking PC running Unix light. I don't see the difference apart from it running Unix light instead of windows, you're still fecking about!

rcoobc

You can buy a high end windows PC, run steam on it, plug it into your tv and Valve will consider that winning. You can build your own PC, run steamOS on it, and valve will consider that winning. You can buy an off-the-shelf SteamBox and valve will be winning once more.

WeasteDevil

You can buy a high end windows PC, run steam on it and plug it into your tv, and Valve will consider that winning. You can build your own PC and run steamOS. And valve will consider that winning. You can buy an off-the-shelf SteamBox, and valve will be winning once more.
So what is the fecking point of it?

All this is about is shitting on Microsoft.

rcoobc

It's all about getting Steam into the living room, via any method. They want the money you would spend on 'consoles' spent on them.

Most people don't want windows on their tv weaste. Windows 7 is shit at it, windows 8 is shit at it. People are lazy in front of tvs, they want remote controls. They want plug and play consoles. They don't want Internet explorer, or web pages in general. They want content one button away. Most people can't be fecked setting up a tvpc.

Redlambs

Steam is the best system out there for games. If you can run an OS and buy a box all designed to make it easier and more powerful, then what's the problem here?

Besides, feck EA and Origin. Look at the latest comments from that dick Hilleman I've posted in the other thread.

rcoobc

Trying to set up a controller to work on a PC for your game correctly is annoying. Trying to set up your PC to work on a TV is annoying. Using a computer web browser on a TV is horrible. Using a mouse/keyboard on a TV-device is fundamentally wrong. Setting up a bluetooth remote for a pc is stupid expensive and pointless. Your steam games being stuck on your computer is a tragedy.

SteamOS runs great with controllers. SteamOS is designed for tvs

Redlambs

Trying to set up a controller to work on a PC for your game correctly is annoying. Trying to set up your PC to work on a TV is annoying. Using a mouse/keyboard on a TV-device is fundamentally wrong. Your steam games being stuck on your computer is a tragedy.
What are you talking about here? Are you serious? I don't know if you are doing it some weird backwards way, but there's absolutely no problem doing any of that stuff! I'm doing it this very second :lol:

SteamOS runs great with controllers. SteamOS is designed for tvs
I play all my Steam games through the tv as it is. I'm not sure what's so difficult about it!

rcoobc

What are you talking about here? Are you serious? I don't know if you are doing it some weird backwards way, but there's absolutely no problem doing any of that stuff! I'm doing it this very second :lol:

I play all my Steam games through the tv as it is. I'm not sure what's so difficult about it!
I'm not talking about you, me, Weaste, people in this thread. I'm talking about my mum, dad, 7 year old sister, etc. My Computer is connected to my TV, and two other monitors, I can play games on it either upstairs with mouse and keyboard or downstairs with a controller. Or a keyboard downstairs, and I have two mouses plugged into it too.

For most people though, this is mind boggling. People dont want settings when it comes to their TV. They want plug, play, done.

Redlambs

I'm not talking about you, me, Weaste, people in this thread. I'm talking about my mum, dad, 7 year old sister, etc. My Computer is connected to my TV, and two other monitors, I can play games on it either upstairs with mouse and keyboard or downstairs with a controller. Or a keyboard downstairs, and I have two mouses plugged into it too.

For most people though, this is mind boggling. People dont want settings when it comes to their TV. They want plug, play, done.

Err ok. I don't really know how you've got your's set up, but my main gaming PC boots and is ready to go almost as quick as the 360/PS4 under the tv, it's just a different input channel. The laptop I'm using to type this is pretty much the same.

But anyway, I get what your main point is. And yes, a more streamlined out of the box way benefits everyone, with the power and flexibility of PC gaming on top, this could be brillliant. Or shit.

rcoobc

:) Yup. 5PM Tomorrow.

We know they are going to announce their own branded or specified line of controllers so personally I hope its not that tomorrow.

O+O

Must be a train. Steam Trains.

DFreshKing

:) Yup. 5PM Tomorrow.

We know they are going to announce their own branded or specified line of controllers so personally I hope its not that tomorrow.

O+O

Must be a train. Steam Trains.

Valve are going to do to Sony what Sony did to Nintendo.

Also to Microsoft what they did to Sega.

I can see them announcing Half life 3 and Shenmue 3 as launch titles and breaking the internet.

The idea that people should just get a PC and Valve are making a mistake coming from the man who has been saying that PC's are finished seems a bit odd.

If PC's are coming to an end then Valve are doing the perfect thing to keep Steam relevant in the next decade and beyond.

This next next gen consoling so if you are a gamer you should be excited about this, especially after the cluster-feck of the ps4 and xbone.

WeasteDevil

Valve are going to do to Sony what Sony did to Nintendo.

Also to Microsoft what they did to Sega.

I can see them announcing Half life 3 and Shenmue 3 as launch titles and breaking the internet.

The idea that people should just get a PC and Valve are making a mistake coming from the man who has been saying that PC's are finished seems a bit odd.

If PC's are coming to an end then Valve are doing the perfect thing to keep Steam relevant in the next decade and beyond.

This next next gen consoling so if you are a gamer you should be excited about this, especially after the cluster-feck of the ps4 and xbone.
Have you been drinking?

Redlambs

Not necessarily, an AMD APU doesn't have to run Jaguar cores. Depends on how much you want to pay and how big you want the box. All this Mantle stuff has something to do with this.
If they go Intel and Nvidia, will your head explode?

Have you been drinking?
Where's that Cheryl Cole gif?

DFreshKing

Weird this forums sometimes, most use technology and some have good knowledge of it, but no one seems to actually like or enjoy it.

A new player in entertainment could be great, classic economics where a cartel of staid has formed, allowing someone with vision to step in and take the market forward.

This was Sony once Weaste, might be time for you to get on the Steam train choo choooo!