Steven Gerrard | Al-Ettifaq Manager

Wilt

Gerrard will be the first English manager to win the EPL.

romufc

Doubt it greatly. He’s enjoying a new manager bounce.

While he’s obviously a big character in the dressing room, he’s a nothing tactician and a relatively thick cnut.
I think it is a bit childish as a manager going to Old Trafford and Goodison Park and making faces to the crowd. As a player for Liverpool, its different to being a manager at Villa.

I think that side of his management will hurt him.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I think it is a bit childish as a manager going to Old Trafford and Goodison Park and making faces to the crowd. As a player for Liverpool, its different to being a manager at Villa.

I think that side of his management will hurt him.
While I had a grin watching it unfold, I agree with the bolded part. It's not about him anymore or any personal rivalries, it's about his team, so while it's funny from a Liverpool POV I think it was a bit unnecessary (re: the Everton things, didn't know he also did something at Old Trafford).

On the other hand I think that he tried to behave himself as professionally as possible when he went back to Liverpool, just a small hand gesture to the Kop and that's it. Of course I think deep down he just wants to applaud them but cannot do that anymore as an oppostion manager now.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Making faces. Come off it. It was a restrained smirk. Some of you will be likening it to mourinho celebrating in front of the opposition fans soon enough.

TsuWave

He’s doing decently to be fair. And I kinda like him staring down those crowds. They don’t like him, and he’s doing well. Nice way of telling them to feck off. Game needs more of it to be honest. Big dog, big nuts. Gerrard just letting his nuts hang, as long as you do well, you’re entitled to it.

Revaulx

Doubt it greatly. He’s enjoying a new manager bounce.

While he’s obviously a big character in the dressing room, he’s a nothing tactician and a relatively thick cnut.
Hope you’re right. Sadly, he seems to be capable of adapting and learning, so he can’t be that thick.

romufc

While I had a grin watching it unfold, I agree with the bolded part. It's not about him anymore or any personal rivalries, it's about his team, so while it's funny from a Liverpool POV I think it was a bit unnecessary (re: the Everton things, didn't know he also did something at Old Trafford).

On the other hand I think that he tried to behave himself as professionally as possible when he went back to Liverpool, just a small hand gesture to the Kop and that's it. Of course I think deep down he just wants to applaud them but cannot do that anymore as an oppostion manager now.
Ofcourse, from a fan point of you its a good watch.

I think if you want to be a top manager, you have to earn the right to be doing that, he has had a brilliant start to his Villa career but he hasn't achieved anything there yet.

I do think he is playing for the Liverpool job, that is the logical step right? To do that though, I think he has to get Villa into top 7 in the next 2 years and good cup runs.

Swedish_Plumber

Making faces. Come off it. It was a restrained smirk. Some of you will be likening it to mourinho celebrating in front of the opposition fans soon enough.
He’s already done that up here when at Rangers. Was giving it the big one to the camera after beating Celtic. Was surprised he didn’t kiss it again.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Ofcourse, from a fan point of you its a good watch.

I think if you want to be a top manager, you have to earn the right to be doing that, he has had a brilliant start to his Villa career but he hasn't achieved anything there yet.

I do think he is playing for the Liverpool job, that is the logical step right? To do that though, I think he has to get Villa into top 7 in the next 2 years and good cup runs.
That's putting unrealistic expectations on him imo. Liverpool, Chelsea, City are out of question in the near future, and then you have the tier below with United, Arsenal, Spurs, Leicester, Newcastle maybe soon enough, ... West Ham are having an excellent season this season yet if Arsenal, Spurs and Wolves win their games in hand, West Ham would be 8th.

Appointing Gerrard will always be quite a risk for Liverpool but depending on how he does at Aston Villa, I'm willing to take the risk and I'm sure he is as well. However if there are other, more estabilshed managers available at the moment Klopp decides to call it a day, I hope the club looks their way first.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
The guys a total bell. The same character traits on display here will ensure he underachieves as a manager like he underachieved as a player.

romufc

That's putting unrealistic expectations on him imo. Liverpool, Chelsea, City are out of question in the near future, and then you have the tier below with United, Arsenal, Spurs, Leicester, Newcastle maybe soon enough, ... West Ham are having an excellent season this season yet if Arsenal, Spurs and Wolves win their games in hand, West Ham would be 8th.

Appointing Gerrard will always be quite a risk for Liverpool but depending on how he does at Aston Villa, I'm willing to take the risk and I'm sure he is as well. However if there are other, more estabilshed managers available at the moment Klopp decides to call it a day, I hope the club looks their way first.
I get that but I do not think its unrealistic if you are looking at the Liverpool job. If he keeps them top 10 or just below, its no better job than Dean Smith.

Liverpool will want to hire a top coach after Klopp, the money Villa spend is more than the West Ham, Wolves etc which means a top tier coach will get them above those teams.

I am only saying that if Gerrard wants the Liverpool job, he has to do something special to get it, I do not think spending £100m or so a season which Villa do and getting 12th is anything special.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
It might be self-centered but you need characters like that in the game. Gerrard slipping is funny, Gerrard slipping after the showmanship of "we don't let this slip" is divine.

TheLiverBird

I get that but I do not think its unrealistic if you are looking at the Liverpool job. If he keeps them top 10 or just below, its no better job than Dean Smith.

Liverpool will want to hire a top coach after Klopp, the money Villa spend is more than the West Ham, Wolves etc which means a top tier coach will get them above those teams.

I am only saying that if Gerrard wants the Liverpool job, he has to do something special to get it, I do not think spending £100m or so a season which Villa do and getting 12th is anything special.
Agreed

if he turns Villa into Leicester of a few years ago, or a West Ham like this season, for Villas standards I’d say that would be quite an achievement.

8th place Wolves are 8 points ahead of Villa, if Gerrard can catch them and even jump into the top 8, it will have been an excellent first EPL Season for him. Far from evidence that he has Elite capability, but atleast evidence he’s on the right path and a capable EPL Manager.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
People keep talking about the Liverpool job for him as if that was the only reason he went into management.

There's a good chance he'll never get the job and a good chance he'll have a fine career in management nonetheless.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
People keep talking about the Liverpool job for him as if that was the only reason he went into management.

There's a good chance he'll never get the job and a good chance he'll have a fine career in management nonetheless.
I really don't think there is. I think he'd have to do pretty badly or have a very short career for you (Liverpool FC, rather than yourself) to be able to resist thinking he's the answer to a crisis.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Agreed

if he turns Villa into Leicester of a few years ago, or a West Ham like this season, for Villas standards I’d say that would be quite an achievement.

8th place Wolves are 8 points ahead of Villa, if Gerrard can catch them and even jump into the top 8, it will have been an excellent first EPL Season for him. Far from evidence that he has Elite capability, but atleast evidence he’s on the right path and a capable EPL Manager.
There's a lot of similarities between Villa now and Leicester when Rodgers took over, the foundations are already there and a trajectory was sort of inevitable regardless of who they appointed due to their ambition in the transfer market.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Surely he's absolutely certain to take over from Klopp?

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I really don't think there is. I think he'd have to do pretty badly or have a very short career for you (Liverpool FC, rather than yourself) to be able to resist thinking he's the answer to a crisis.
Nah. These owners have already been burnt once with a nostalgic appointment. They'll be focusing on the best possible candidate when Klopp goes. Lijnders has a better chance of getting the job than Gerrard has I reckon.

Gerrard will have to do something quite remarkable to get it. Especially given what we've seen with Lampard, Solskjaer et al, I doubt the ex player factor has all that much of a pull.

Even if he does really well to be considered there is every chance that the timing will be off and it's another club who approaches him first. If he gets the opportunity with another big club he'll take it as he should.

DOTA

Nah. These owners have already been burnt once with a nostalgic appointment.
I see it more as they've been thick enough to do it once, they're thick enough to do it again.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I see it more as they've been thick enough to do it once, they're thick enough to do it again.
They were wet behind the ears when they appointed Dalglish. No chance they make a decision based on popular sentiment again at this point. They've an investment to protect.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I reckon Gerrard has a better chance of becoming England manager than Liverpool manager to be honest.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Far from it. As @B20 says, it's less than likely he will take over imo.

Nah. These owners have already been burnt once with a nostalgic appointment. They'll be focusing on the best possible candidate when Klopp goes. Lijnders has a better chance of getting the job than Gerrard has I reckon.

Gerrard will have to do something quite remarkable to get it. Especially given what we've seen with Lampard, Solskjaer et al, I doubt the ex player factor has all that much of a pull.

Even if he does really well to be considered there is every chance that the timing will be off and it's another club who approaches him first. If he gets the opportunity with another big club he'll take it as he should.
Not sure. Could see him at Tottenham perhaps yeah, maybe even Chelsea or Arsenal if you stretch it. Don't think he'd ever cave for United or City though.

DOTA

I reckon Gerrard has a better chance of becoming England manager than Liverpool manager to be honest.
At least one of he, Lampard and Rooney have to get it at some point. The 'righting the wrongs of the golden generation' angle is too strong for it not to happen.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Far from it. As @B20 says, it's less than likely he will take over imo.

Not sure. Could see him at Tottenham perhaps yeah, maybe even Chelsea or Arsenal if you stretch it. Don't think he'd ever cave for United or City though.
United maybe not although I wouldn't begrudge him taking it. Doubt he'd pass on city.

TheLiverBird

There's a lot of similarities between Villa now and Leicester when Rodgers took over, the foundations are already there and a trajectory was sort of inevitable regardless of who they appointed due to their ambition in the transfer market.
So if Villa start doing really over the next few years, no praise should be given to Gerrard the manager because apparently the foundations for that trajectory was already in place?

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
In an age where a struggling Spurs have the pulling power to get the likes of Conte it's going to be very hard for him to get a top 6 gig.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
So if Villa start doing really over the next few years, no praise should be given to Gerrard the manager because apparently the foundations for that trajectory was already in place?
Agreed.

TheReligion

Abusive
Hate the fecker however I did like him eyeing the Stretford End and then starring out the Evertonians.

Very funny.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Hate the fecker however I did like him eyeing the Stretford End and then starring out the Evertonians.

Very funny.
I can't believe people mind that sort of thing. I hope it's not the same posters who complain about football lacking identity these days.

Gerard's a freakin' Liverpool legend, it'd be downright stupid if he weren't heckled by United and Everton fans, and plain boring if he would pretend it wasn't happening.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
I think he’s going to have to prove himself, which he’s making every effort of doing. Doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll get it though. I can see it at some stage if the timings right, but i don’t think it’ll be when Klopp leaves.