Steven Gerrard | Al-Ettifaq Manager

MacGlock88

The final part of your post was literally a comparison with other Celtic managers. His title was more impressive than any of theirs. Villa would have been looking at them beating the likes of Porto in the EL, rather than worrying about the fact that he didn’t win a league cup.

I don’t really want him to do well either, but there is nothing wrong with rating his time at Rangers and thinking he might have a chance.

Not going well now and that’s certainly not the worst thing to see in the world! I, like you, hope for more misery!
The final part of my post was what managers were the most successful. Two Celtic managers in there. But you missed the St Johnstone manager, titles won, is ahead of Gerrard.

The end of the post, reaffirms the start of the post. That he didn’t do the business in Scotland as much as the many allude to.

Real Name

I remember how he was lauded in media after one (1) game at Villa like he's the best thing since sliced bread.

Nero

I remember how he was lauded in media after one (1) game at Villa like he's the best thing since sliced bread.
Classic modern football syndrome. Everyone is world class or shit depending on whatever the most recent game was.

Ludens the Red

Saw their games against Newcastle and Leeds and I was alarmed by the performances. They don’t seem to have a style or any sort of tactics. They have some good players and they produce moments. But the team is unbalanced. They play with two wide playmakers but don’t have pacey attacking wing backs.
Their central midfield contains no defensive minded players.
And for some inexplicable reason Douglas Luiz seems to take all their set pieces, not coutinho or Digne.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Saw their games against Newcastle and Leeds and I was alarmed by the performances. They don’t seem to have a style or any sort of tactics. They have some good players and they produce moments. But the team is unbalanced. They play with two wide playmakers but don’t have pacey attacking wing backs.
Their central midfield contains no defensive minded players.
And for some inexplicable reason Douglas Luiz seems to take all their set pieces, not coutinho or Digne.
Are you taking about United or Villa?

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Like Lamps... he is out of his depth. This can only go south from here on.

United in sin

Haha, it’s funny cos watching them all I could think was. “They’re just a diet United”.
They outplayed and out passed us when we conceded a 2 goal lead against them in that 2-2 draw.

Overall I think he's doing a good job so far. He settled in very quickly. Definitely looks better than Lampard

Ludens the Red

They outplayed and out passed us when we conceded a 2 goal lead against them in that 2-2 draw.

Overall I think he's doing a good job so far. He settled in very quickly. Definitely looks better than Lampard
That’s standard against United though..

I don’t think he’s done a good job so far at all. 5 wins from 14 with that squad, failed to beat the likes of Leeds, Newcastle and Watford. It’s been a very unspectacular start in truth.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I wonder at what point his barber stopped asking what he wants? 2004? 2005?

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
There’s f’all evidence he’s that good as a coach is there? He was okay at Rangers and just looks bang average at best. Never struck me as a football brain when he was popping shots off everywhere at Liverpool. It’s a shame because I’d like him to go and really mess Liverpool up but I don’t think they’ll give him the chance. It would be mental to replace Klopp with him and by the time the next Liverpool coach after that is appointed he‘ll have been properly found out.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Saw their games against Newcastle and Leeds and I was alarmed by the performances. They don’t seem to have a style or any sort of tactics.
Having watched a lot of Gerrard’s teams over the years, they have a very distinctive style and shape. If anything it can become too predictable, but when it clicks it’s very hard to play against. Right now a number of the players don’t fit the system. He’ll need upgrades in 3-4 positions to make it sing, particularly against weaker opposition that is content to sit in and counter. The challenge is that he never wavers from that way of playing so they’re going to produce mid-table football (spells of good form followed by poor form prompting knee-jerk takes) until they make those signings.

ForeverRed1

Villa is a tough team to manage, they have a good team and great training facilities. They have a good stadium with passionate fanbase. But I’d say the expectation with their fan base is above the reality. They have really missed Grealish, even with all the money spent

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Villa is a tough team to manage, they have a good team and great training facilities. They have a good stadium with passionate fanbase.
So… they’re not really a tough team to manage…

Burnley, Brighton, Southampton, Norwich, Watford - these are tough teams to manage in the PL for varying reasons (underinvestment and lack of PL quality being the main ones).

Villa is a nice job with a quality squad.

ForeverRed1

So… they’re not really a tough team to manage…

Burnley, Brighton, Southampton, Norwich, Watford - these are tough teams to manage in the PL for varying reasons (underinvestment and lack of PL quality being the main ones).

Villa is a nice job with a quality squad.
They are though because they have high expectations. They want to be challenging top 6. They expect it with the criteria above but when was the last time they actually made Europe? The pressure will be on him next season for sure.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
They are though because they have high expectations. They want to be challenging top 6. They expect it with the criteria above but when was the last time they actually made Europe? The pressure will be on him next season for sure.
I have never encountered a single Villa fan who expects to be challenging the top 6. That certainly isn't the expectations Gerrard is working with.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
So, you think that ‘fan expectations’ are making it tough for Gerrard…?

Or made it tough for Dean Smith…?

Smith was sacked with them in a relegation battle, and Gerrard could achieve multiple mid table finishes there (if he’s good enough…) and I’d wager that the Villa fanbase would be happy with him.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Having watched a lot of Gerrard’s teams over the years, they have a very distinctive style and shape. If anything it can become too predictable, but when it clicks it’s very hard to play against. Right now a number of the players don’t fit the system. He’ll need upgrades in 3-4 positions to make it sing, particularly against weaker opposition that is content to sit in and counter. The challenge is that he never wavers from that way of playing so they’re going to produce mid-table football (spells of good form followed by poor form prompting knee-jerk takes) until they make those signings.
What years, 3 at Rangers? You make it sound like he's been a manager for 20 years.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Is he still using Buendia and Coutinho on the wings? It’s a little one paced for the PL.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Won a couple of games, gonna be top class
Didn't win the last game, bang average.

Never change redcafe.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Is he still using Buendia and Coutinho on the wings? It’s a little one paced for the PL.
Not watched their last couple of games but with how he played with Rangers would make sense if he did.

He preferred his 'wide players' Kent & Hagi / Aribo to play inside almost as 2 number 10's to be in closer support of the strikers. The width mostly came from the full backs, with 3 central midfielders usually just keeping their position. The main exception to that was when Arfield played, as he would be the player from midfield to make runs beyond Morelos.

Last edited:

MO_Football92

Supports
Arsenal
What is it with football and systems nowadays? If he doesn't have the players, it's sensible for him to adapt tactics that maximizes the players he has.

Aston Villa have spent a lot of money recently; can they afford another season outside 10th? Laughable they're fanbase thought they could compete with Arsenal and bid for Smith-Rowe.

ForeverRed1

So, you think that ‘fan expectations’ are making it tough for Gerrard…?

Or made it tough for Dean Smith…?

Smith was sacked with them in a relegation battle, and Gerrard could achieve multiple mid table finishes there (if he’s good enough…) and I’d wager that the Villa fanbase would be happy with him.
Villa want European challenges. Europa spot. They believe their squad is good enough, I have a few villa friends and they have fairly high expectations with the squad they have and the money spent. They should be doing better in fairness. Go have a look through villatalk and you get the general feeling. They are not particularly happy.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
What is it with football and systems nowadays? If he doesn't have the players, it's sensible for him to adapt tactics that maximizes the players he has.
A lazy excuse for clueless managers. That's all this "The players don't fit the system" is.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Villa are basically us on a budget. Have some great players and occasionally put in some really good performances but they consistently make bad decisions and put in highly inconsistent performances, often snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. They've been like that for years and hopefully Gerrard will get them in trouble if he's still there next year!

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!

Aston Villa have spent a lot of money recently; can they afford another season outside 10th? Laughable they're fanbase thought they could compete with Arsenal and bid for Smith-Rowe.
If they have the cash, it's not laughable at all to be able to compete with you.

And they've won the European Cup, you haven't. I wouldn't be laughing too much.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
If they have the cash, it's not laughable at all to be able to compete with you.

And they've won the European Cup, you haven't. I wouldn't be laughing too much.
Not sure why something won 40 years ago is relevant, but It does come across as a bit arrogant just as Villa fans were in the first place when the ESR talk was coming out.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Villa is a tough team to manage, they have a good team and great training facilities. They have a good stadium with passionate fanbase. But I’d say the expectation with their fan base is above the reality. They have really missed Grealish, even with all the money spent
Have to ignore whoever on social media is saying we should be top 6 as that's simply unrealistic at this point.

Don't see why 9th or 10th should be deemed not realistic though. After we won v Everton three games ago think we were only 2-3 points off Wolves.

Danger now is we don't win soon and we end the season in about 15th on 38 points. That isn't acceptable to me given Gerrard had a transfer window adding Coutinho and Digne.

ForeverRed1

Have to ignore whoever on social media is saying we should be top 6 as that's simply unrealistic at this point.

Don't see why 9th or 10th should be deemed not realistic though. After we won v Everton three games ago think we were only 2-3 points off Wolves.

Danger now is we don't win soon and we end the season in about 15th on 38 points. That isn't acceptable to me given Gerrard had a transfer window adding Coutinho and Digne.
I’m mainly going off villatalk forum and the villa fans I know. The point I was making wasn’t around this season but more getting yourselves into a good place now ready for next year. This year is kind of finished for you in terms of Europe etc obviously .. but maybe if you played nice football and got some good results you would have momentum next season with a couple decent additions..

instead your fumbling across the finish line and look nowhere near where you should be. You should be doing much better than you are at present with the players at your disposal for sure.

big questions marks over Gerrard? 1 title in 3 years at rangers is very different to managing villa in PL, so it will be really interesting when he gets a full season and a summer backing.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I’m mainly going off villatalk forum and the villa fans I know. The point I was making wasn’t around this season but more getting yourselves into a good place now ready for next year. This year is kind of finished for you in terms of Europe etc obviously .. but maybe if you played nice football and got some good results you would have momentum next season with a couple decent additions..

instead your fumbling across the finish line and look nowhere near where you should be. You should be doing much better than you are at present with the players at your disposal for sure.

big questions marks over Gerrard? 1 title in 3 years at rangers is very different to managing villa in PL, so it will be really interesting when he gets a full season and a summer backing.
First few weeks were good....we played good structured football at both ends and results and performances reflected that.

No idea what's happened recently but we've been terrible against three bottom 6 teams. Get the feeling already his style and formation been worked out and worried as he's so wedded to it, we could play 4-2-3-1 comfortably with this squad for instance given we did it for majority of Dean Smith's time.

Need to get better DM in but again he seems to just want Bissouma who has presence but really isn't that great given the error he made against you guys and also v Burnley so wouldn't be blowing 40m on him.

diarm

Villa have spent £400m in the last 5 seasons with a net spend of £220m. Only City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs have spent more.

They're on the same underperforming shelf with ourselves and Spurs.

RuudTom83

Yeah it was strange wasn't it.

Played United twice, lost one and drew the other...let the plaudits begin! (then go back to slagging United off on live television afterwards)